News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 10: Earth 2 Robin

Started by Podmark, April 12, 2014, 06:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the Earth 2 Robin costume?

5 - Love it!
2 (14.3%)
4 - Like it
4 (28.6%)
3 - Meh, no strong feelings
0 (0%)
2 - Dislike it
6 (42.9%)
1 - Hate it!
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Podmark

(As requested by Benton) this is the Earth 2 Robin costume:

What do you think of this look?
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Glitch Girl

Way too much yellow IMO.    I think it's the yellow leggings that kill it.  My eyes end up going straight to his thighs and I'm not sure that was what was intended.  Personally, I think if they were the same dark green as the trunks, it would help immensely.  That and I'm not totally sold on the green kowl. 

The belt needs something in the front.  I know what they're going for, but the way the top stops as it meets the trunks looks off to me.  Maybe if it wasn't just a plain-old straight line, it might be better.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Cyber Burn

I don't love it, but I do actually like it. It gives Robin a more mature look, but still has a "Classic" look to it. I agree that the belt could use something in the front, but I think the colors are well balanced. It works for me.

Helix

Hate it. Uninspired. Gawdy. Why is the red only on the torso? It defies logic. Motley Crue made better wardrobe choices...in the 80's! Also, the only guy who ever got away with that palette was Mister Miracle.

Tomato

This is the same costume, with one minor color change. One color change made the difference between a dumb costume and a decent one.

Podmark

Wasn't that familiar with this look so I tried to give this a good look over and make an opinion. Ultimately I dislike it.

It looks like Robin-lite. Like it took the basic design then did something less interesting with it. If you took the R off it, how many people would even associate it with Robin?
It's very classic looking, but lack something visually interesting to make it stick. Contrary to some of the rest of you, I actually like the belt. It's unique and helps set him apart it's not enough.

Now I was looking at the Brave and the Bold Robin that was based on this, and there's only a couple of changes, most minor, but it removes the cowl and replaces it with a domino mask. I like that more.
http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/batman-and-robin.jpg

And I agree with Tomato, the red leggings create a better balance.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

bat1987

Gave it a "1".

It's really bad, hate the yellow leggings, the belt too. Not much more I can say about it, I think it's a mess.

Cyber Burn

I have to agree, the red leggings are a big improvement. However, I do still prefer the cowl to the domino mask.

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Podmark on April 13, 2014, 04:29:53 PM

Now I was looking at the Brave and the Bold Robin that was based on this, and there's only a couple of changes, most minor, but it removes the cowl and replaces it with a domino mask. I like that more.
http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/batman-and-robin.jpg

I like what they did with the belt here.  By bringing the top down a bit and giving it a "V" cut helps immensely.  The mask looks much better too.

Tomato, seriously, the red improves that thing a hundredfold. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BentonGrey

4: I'm almost tempted to give it a 4.5, but that's not really fair, as my fondness of this costume is at least partially based on its potential rather than how it actually appeared in the comics.  I agree with what several of y'all have said, that the red leggings are an improvement, as is the slight redesign from Batman: B&B.  I actually really like how this costume looked in action on B&B.  All-in-all, it has the potential, with a little tweaking, to be a really great costume for a grown-up Robin that still acknowledges his roots.  It's a great teen-age or college-age look for Dick, and I really wish that they had adapted it for his Bronze Age adventures instead of just keeping his original one.

Yeah, the yellow leggings are a bit much, but his bare legs were worse!  The red leggings make it look quite nice, and the full sleeves and neat belt (with the modified setting from B&B) really work well.  If they gave him the two-toned cape of the TAS version, I'd say this would be a costume that could still work quite well today.  As it is, it looks classic and feels like a good fit for Robin.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/