News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Best Balanced Mods?

Started by UltraSuperGuy, April 20, 2014, 06:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UltraSuperGuy

Just wondering what you guys think are the best balanced mods out there? By "balanced", I mean that the mod is not ludicrously crammed with too many enemies and too much difficulty. It seems like too many mod-designers say "oh yeah, I'm going to have this guy go up against 200 bad guys! YEAH!!!!" without realizing that the combat might be really laborious or just too difficult.

So I'm wondering what mods are out there that aren't plagued by overkill with the enemies and difficulty?

spydermann93

Some of my favorite mods are all of Benton Grey's mods (they can be found here: http://bentongrey.wordpress.com/)

Benton has quite the skill when combining balance with accurate character portrayal, with the DCUG mod being his most expansive work by far.  I don't think his missions are hard throughout his mods, but they aren't exactly easy at times, either.

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: spydermann93 on April 20, 2014, 08:42:27 PM
Some of my favorite mods are all of Benton Grey's mods (they can be found here: http://bentongrey.wordpress.com/)

Benton has quite the skill when combining balance with accurate character portrayal, with the DCUG mod being his most expansive work by far.  I don't think his missions are hard throughout his mods, but they aren't exactly easy at times, either.

Cool! Thank you. Yeah, they don't have to be easy, I just don't like overkill where it's like "ZOMG, here are 25 bad guys you have to KO!!!!"

Anybody else have suggestions?

BentonGrey

Why thank you, Spyder, I appreciate the good word! 

Ultra, if you haven't downloaded the DCUG yet, let me offer a few caveats.  It's sprawling, comprehensive, and full of an unholy amount of work, but because of that it also has a few bugs.  In the next year I'm going to try to put out version 2.0, which will have some fixes and a number of new campaigns, so, caveat emptor.

As far as difficulty, I generally feel like I balanced the DCUG pretty well, partially because I spent years balancing all of the characters against each other first.  I will offer a word of warning about the second JLA mission, though.  That Batman solo mission is pretty tough and requires strategy rather than brute force, as the enemies you're fighting might not be quite...human... ;)  Keep that in mind, and keep an eye out for things in your surroundings that might help.

I do have some other suggestions, and those would be the mods of Previsionary and John Jr.  Both of these very talented guys did a wide range of mods, and they are all a lot of fun.  They are also all pretty well balanced.  They can be found here:
http://frp.unlimited2.net/mods/
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

I will strongly agree, you can't go wrong with a Mod by Benton, Prev, or John Jr. Definitely give those a try.

UltraSuperGuy

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've already put in Benton's Marvel Adventures mod with the patches but unfortunately can't get it to work at all (no objectives show up in the missions) but I'll just try out some other ones.

spydermann93

Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on April 22, 2014, 09:37:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've already put in Benton's Marvel Adventures mod with the patches but unfortunately can't get it to work at all (no objectives show up in the missions) but I'll just try out some other ones.

That's really odd.  Which campaign are you trying to play?

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: spydermann93 on April 22, 2014, 10:20:45 PM
Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on April 22, 2014, 09:37:27 PM

That's really odd.  Which campaign are you trying to play?

The Avengers one. I even tried using the Mission_Win() console command but that did nothing. I have a feeling something must have gone wrong with putting the patches in as he didn't seem to make the patches very user-friendly. It looks like you could put in some folders from some of the patches and erase/lose some stuff from a previous patch if you aren't careful.

spydermann93

When I'm able to, I'll help you out trying to get this mod to work. (I need my external HDD to get the mod files again)

Once you understand where things go, it becomes really simple to install :)

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: spydermann93 on April 22, 2014, 10:37:29 PM
When I'm able to, I'll help you out trying to get this mod to work. (I need my external HDD to get the mod files again)

Once you understand where things go, it becomes really simple to install :)

Thanks, that would be great!

UltraSuperGuy

Ah! I figured out what the problem was! In the Marvel Adventures Patch #3, there's a whole bunch of revisions to the missions plus a new Script folder with some new scripts. I just dragged and dropped all of that into the initial missions folder. What I didn't realize was that the new scripts folder just contained some new scripts, it didn't contain all the old scripts too so those got deleted. I redid this and now I get the objectives and proper opening cutscene for the first Avengers mission.

He should have put all the old scripts in with that new script folder in his patch #3 or at least some instructions with that patch because I think it would be very easy for someone to do what I did. You really have to open every individual little folder and sub-folder in the patches and compare them with the original folders and sub-folders to make sure you are not going to delete anything. That's cumbersome and time-consuming.

BentonGrey

I'm glad you got it working, USG.  I'll just release a new main download that will have all the patches integrated sometime soon.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 23, 2014, 01:19:04 AM
I'm glad you got it working, USG.  I'll just release a new main download that will have all the patches integrated sometime soon.

That would be great. Maybe this problem only would come up with Mac users (such as myself). If you replace a folder with a new folder, that old folder basically gets thrown in the trash, making way for the new folder, regardless if it has less stuff in it.

Epimethee

Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on April 23, 2014, 01:22:43 AM
Maybe this problem only would come up with Mac users (such as myself). If you replace a folder with a new folder, that old folder basically gets thrown in the trash, making way for the new folder, regardless if it has less stuff in it.
You can, it's just rather arcane. If you're using 10.9 Mavericks, copy (not move – so hold CMD to get the + icon) the new folder to the old one. You'll get a prompt to merge. On 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion, hold ALT while copying/moving to get the prompt. You can also use the terminal's cp -R and ditto commands (check the manual beforehand). In all cases, like always, backup first. ;)
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: Epimethee on April 26, 2014, 02:29:35 AM
Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on April 23, 2014, 01:22:43 AM
Maybe this problem only would come up with Mac users (such as myself). If you replace a folder with a new folder, that old folder basically gets thrown in the trash, making way for the new folder, regardless if it has less stuff in it.
You can, it's just rather arcane. If you're using 10.9 Mavericks, copy (not move – so hold CMD to get the + icon) the new folder to the old one. You'll get a prompt to merge. On 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion, hold ALT while copying/moving to get the prompt. You can also use the terminal's cp -R and ditto commands (check the manual beforehand). In all cases, like always, backup first. ;)

My OS is Mac 10.6. Still possible?

Epimethee

I think you'll need to use the command line or a third-party utility.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: Epimethee on April 26, 2014, 03:52:10 AM
I think you'll need to use the command line or a third-party utility.

Ahhh. Thanks.