News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

FFv3R game paths

Started by abenavides, April 30, 2014, 04:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abenavides

As I look at path code in ezhero, I've gotten curious about how people install custom content for FFv3R.

For FF, it was pretty basic
- The Base game path was : C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force
- Heroes under that in: \Data\Heroes
- Meshes under that in: \Data\Art\custom_characters

The base game path changes for new versions of Windows (7, 8, etc) or Steam , but the custom content was still under it as described above.

Then we get to FFv3R ....
- The Base game path was: C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich
- Heroes go, not under that but in: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes
- Meshes go in: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters

(and that's in Win7 - it would be different for XP, which uses "C:\Documents and Settings" instead of "C:\Users")

OK, that's a bit of a pain, but I can deal with it. However, FFv3R ALSO allows putting meshes here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters

I assume they did this for people with older versions of Windows (win98/ME), but it still works on newer versions. Interestingly, putting Hero Files in there doesn't work , at least on my Win7 PC.

So to get to the point already, a question:

Does everyone usually just install meshes into :
C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters?

(note FFv3R uses "library\characters" and not "custom_characters")

That is, the <USER> folder and not the game folder?
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

spydermann93

I'm afraid that I use the default folder location (I have the game on Steam on Windows 7, now).

For me, I use "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters" as the location of all of my meshes.

I've actually never heard of the directory going to "C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Art\library\characters", before.

Honestly, I think what your hero tool has now is just fine.

abenavides

Thx, the new version will still let you do the same, I just don't want to inadvertenly mess anything up so I want to know what to check.

If you use the game base path for meshes, that's cool.

What about your hero files? where do they go?
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

hoss20

I am using Windows 7. Even when using XP, my Freedom Force installations (both versions) always put my custom mesh folder in the game directory in Programs.

Now, I am using a 64 bit version of Windows and Freedom Force, being a 32 bit program, was installed by default to the Program Files (x86) folder. Win 7 will detect upon installation whether a program runs under a 32 bit or 64 bit architecture and installs it in the proper directory (Program Files (x86) for 32 bit and Program Files for 64 bit). I realize you already know all of this, but I've found in programs that I've migrated over or installed that there have often been issues with the program's functions where it was looking for something in Program Files, but it had been installed in the Program Files (x86) folder. It may also just be that the application was unable to detect what version of Windows I was using and therefore couldn't navigate the directory.

My Hero Files are located in "C:\Users\hoss20\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes".

All of this being said, I will say that other than having to download the comdlg32.ocx file, I haven't had any issues with EZHero once establishing my default directories.

abenavides

Thx Hoss. Yep, I'm running on Win7 64bit also.
I've tried running Steam and non-Steam versions without issues.

Interesting that they you do need to put the Heroes file in the User folder but not the meshes.

I've completed the DDS portrait handling (works great) and am working through the weight calculations now.
www.alexff.com

Cyber Burn

When I installed on my current PC, everything FF related seemed to automatically install in the "Program Files (x86)" File. I'm running Windows 8.1 if that helps.

I had lost all my Hero Files when my last PC died, and haven't yet gotten around to starting over, so I'm not quite sure what the File Path is for them.

Also, I installed both games using the Disks, not Steam or GoG.

As I stated in the other thread, I will try and remember to take some Screen Shots listing the File Paths for how things installed for me. In all honesty, I figure a visual is more reliable than worrying about me not copying something correctly.

daglob

I have the stuff on the D drive (It used to be the 'big" drive). That hasn't usually been a problem.

Cyber Burn

Hero are the Paths that come up for my PC. This is Windows 8.1, 64-bit, with both games installed using the Disks.

Hero Files
-------------

Freedom Force
-------------

Original Path:
--------------

C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\data\heroes

Standard Path:
--------------

C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force\data\heroes

FFvt3R
------

Original Path:
--------------
c:\documents and settings\User Name\local settings\application data\irrational games\freedom force vs the 3rd reich\custom\heroes

Standard Path:
--------------
c:\documents and settings\User Name\local settings\application data\irrational games\freedom force vs the 3rd reich\custom\heroes

:ff:

:ffvstr:

I'm sorry for the heavy post, but I figure the more information that you have, the more it will help you out.