Started by Midnite, May 15, 2014, 05:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

8:00 - Flash
9:00 - Agents of Shield
10:00 - Sons of Anarchy
11:00 - Blissful sleep

Yep, that's my Tuesday nights!
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just finished watching it.  It was good.  Really, really good.  The villain was more or less just a side thing wtih all the other things being set up, but still worked well and the fight at the end was done in a very comic book Flash way.  I look forward to seeing what else happens.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Starman on July 02, 2014, 12:10:05 PM
I thought they crammed way too much into a single episode. You have Barry's entire tragic childhood backstory, superhero origin, day job, cast of supporting allies and villains, love interest, love rival, costume, mentors, first super villain, Easter Eggs galore, and a pretty decent mastery of his powers all in a single episode. The story seemed to jump around a lot from location to location, and there was a truckload of exposition.

I understand that they probably wanted a strong pilot episode that wrapped up all the "boring" stuff, showed off some cool effects and set The Flash up for superhero adventures immediately in Episode 2, but I really wish they'd paced it a bit better and spread all of this out over at least two episodes.

That said, all the actors, action scenes, costume and special effects were fine and the Easter Eggs were appreciated, particularly
Spoiler
Gorilla Grodd and the Crisis On Infinite Earths reference
at the end. I also liked the fact that
Spoiler
Eddie Thawne is introduced as the obvious future bad guy but that Harrison Wells could also be Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash ... I'd actually really prefer Wells to be a villain, tbh, since I like the actor

There is plenty of interesting stuff the writers can draw from Mark Waid's and Geoff Johns' run on the comic ... The Flash is generally a lot better comic than, say, Green Arrow. And the CW has churned out some surprisingly cool shows lately, like The Tomorrow People, Star-Crossed and The 100 (two of which have been cancelled, but still...).  So, there is potential for The Flash to be good.

I actually agree with all of this.  I would have much rather they had stretched the story within another half hour or in another episode.  It was a fine start, but they just crammed a whole heck of a lot in one hour.  Not too much more I can add from what was said here.  Only part I disagree with is Shipp's character.
Spoiler
Personally, I would have liked to have seen him as Jay Garrick.  Don't know how that would work in the show as it is, but... just my opinion.  I should also have to add, I'm really curious to see more from Amanda Pays.  I remember enjoying her character from the old show, but since she's playing the same character, I wonder how that will be played(if at all).

Podmark

I liked it. It was jam packed but I like how they've set things up with Star Labs.
A couple highlights:
Spoiler

I was pleasantly surprised that Detective West has already discovered Barry's powers. A nice way to set it apart from Arrow.
Very happy to see teases of Grodd and Zoom.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

JeyNyce

It's funny because I didn't mind that they jammed the episode with all that stuff, on the other hand I not a big fan of The Flash.  It did bother me when they did it to Gotham.  All-in-all, I'm expecting a crossover sooner or later with Arrow.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Glitch Girl

I was very VERY pleased with the show and agree with both of Podmark's hilights.  It's a lot of fun, definitely "brighter" than Arrow, and takes itself just seriously enough. 

Really liking the core cast too. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Shogunn2517

So, I'm Netflixing Arrow before I start watching Season 3.  I've gotten up to episode 10 and it makes a little more sense now.

Spoiler
I thought it was a little funny that they were talking about the Particle Accelerator through the first few episodes of Arrow's 2nd season.  But splicing Flash's origin at the same time, fitting the same timeline of Arrow.  Barry's storyline was 10 episodes in, December-January, which would put the Flash's costumed appearance about now.  A frame-by-frame copy from Arrow to the Flash plays a lot better now.  It's not as quick of a start as I thought originally.  Now that I saw Barry's intro, who he is, how he acts, characterize him more.  It's not really essential, but it explains more about the character than the premiere did.  Seemingly.

Real smooth.

trebean

Looks like Flash'll get new duds sooner or later, hopefully sooner. The current one doesn't exactly look like The Flash that much.
Spoiler

Glitch Girl

Spoiler of upcoming (no doubt late in the season) villain appearance:
Spoiler

Reverse Flash, on set
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=108943

Goodness, he's a bulky speedster.

I'm trying to figure out if the costume is meant to be black on bottom, or if that's charring from something that happened earlier, possibly plot related.

EDIT AAAAAAAND... they just announced casting for ep 12:  Victor Garber as Dr. Martin Stein and Robbie Amell (yes related to Arrow's Amell) as Ronnie Raymond.

They're doing Firestorm.

They're FRICKING DOING FIRESTORM IN LIVE ACTION  :blink:

Nothing against Firestorm, only that on the list of characters I expected to get a live action treatment, he's not even on there. This is unexpected.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BentonGrey

Yeah, I heard about that a while ago.  It's fairly insane. 

As for the villain, his costume is half right...and it's sorta' weird.  It's like they though, 'ehh, that's good enough.'
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Podmark

Yay!
Spoiler

Reverse Flash! When the show was announced I was kinda wondering if they'd go there. It might seem like a weird question, but I could see the creators not wanting a second Flash character, or holding off on him for a long time.
I wonder if they'll do Grodd? (yes there was the easter egg but that doesn't mean they'll go any further). I wonder how they'd do Grodd??

I kinda like the costume, but I should really wait to see more before passing any judgement.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Shogunn2517

BTW, did anyone notice the Easter Egg in the last Easter Egg in the last minute of the show?
Spoiler
The newspaper that previewed a "Crisis" it also had an article below it mentioning a merger of "Wayne Tech" and Queen Inc.

I know there's been a pretty effective "Bat" Embargo, but I couldn't have imagined this would have made it through without other possible Batman attached items to pop up in the Arrow/Flash Universe.

detourne_me

Episode 2:
Spoiler
Wow! This show is off to a great start. We found out that Ronnie was MIA because of the dark matter wave. So we know Firestorm is gonna be powered. Also Multiplex got introduced too, along with Simon Stagg... So maybe Metamorpho is still a possibility.
I really like how lighthearted this show is in contrast to Arrow. And the science hero aspects of it are pretty cool!

Glitch Girl

Okay, silly question...

In the opening scene of Ep 2, the shirt Francisco is wearing... what is that an insignia of?  I feel I should know it, but I can't place it exactly.  I'm 99.9% sure it's an easter egg of some kind.
-Glitch Girl

catwhowalksbyhimself

I like that they've found a way to bring the supervillain names into it.  A pretty great second episode with action, drama and a better take on the calorie problem than the older series.  The contrast between the two mentor characters was great and I'm liking all the Star Lab characters so far.

With this show and Agents of SHIELD, Tuesdays are a great tv night for me.

spydermann93

Do you guys know if this show pops up anywhere online (legally)?

I don't get cable nor dish at my house, so I'm limited to what's on the web.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It's currently on hulu.  First episode is free and the second one is not.  Looks like you can watch them for free there 8 days after they air, which should do it for you.  You'll be a week behind, but that shouldn't be so bad.

Talavar

My one complaint...
Spoiler
they need to stop killing off the villains in one appearance!  At this rate, who is the Flash going to be fighting by the (hypothetical) third season?
Still, really enjoyed the second episode.

Glitch Girl

Talavar
Spoiler
C'mon, you really think a guy who can replicate himself is dead that easily?  He'll be back I'm willing to bet.  Heck, he didn't even get a supervillainy name until the epilogues.
-Glitch Girl

spydermann93

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 15, 2014, 11:59:42 PM
It's currently on hulu.  First episode is free and the second one is not.  Looks like you can watch them for free there 8 days after they air, which should do it for you.  You'll be a week behind, but that shouldn't be so bad.

That's fine with me!  Thanks, Cat! :thumbup:

Podmark

I enjoyed the second episode as well. I like how the more heroic, brighter tone contrasts with Arrow.
I'm very curious where things are going with Professor Wells.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 16, 2014, 03:36:41 AM
Talavar
Spoiler
C'mon, you really think a guy who can replicate himself is dead that easily?  He'll be back I'm willing to bet.  Heck, he didn't even get a supervillainy name until the epilogues.

I certainly hope so.  And maybe they'll find an out for the first episode villain as well.

Glitch Girl

Talavar
Spoiler
Traditionally, it's his BROTHER who's Weather Wizard.  That same brother who was in the plane with him when the pulse happened who we haven't actually seen yet.
-Glitch Girl

Talavar

Quote from: Glitch Girl on October 16, 2014, 05:26:37 PM
Talavar
Spoiler
Traditionally, it's his BROTHER who's Weather Wizard.  That same brother who was in the plane with him when the pulse happened who we haven't actually seen yet.

Touche.  I never caught the character's name, so just assumed they were one and the same.

thalaw2

I finally got to see ep.2 and twas good.  I really want to see Wally.  Given the angle CW has taken with the West family I think Wally would be interesting. 
革命不会被电视转播

Cyber Burn

After being so disappointed with "Gotham" (I stopped watching after episode 3), I was really hesitant to see how Flash would go. I finally watched the first 3 episodes, and I have to say, I am not disappointed in in the least, quite the opposite. So far, this has really been a great show. I really hope it can keep up the pace.

Talavar

Good news for the Flash: the premiere was the CW's highest rated show.  Ever!

bat1987

Liking The Flash more than I did the first season of Arrow. Captain Cold was great in the latest episode.
Spoiler

It's weird that he wasn't the one that invented the cold gun, but it's not that bad, the gun creation created a nice conflict in the Flash team. The smirk that Snart had when Cisco called him Captain Cold was awesome. Felicity works really well with Barry, such a great dynamic. I liked the train scene as well. Oh and Heatwave!

Glitch Girl

@Talavar
Woo hoo!

this latest episode was great!  Lots of great bits like
  • "When a man... loves a woman"
  • the other "freeze gun"
  • Felicity in general
  • Easter Egg (had to look this one up) - Museum docent Dexter Myles, eventual curator of the Flash Museum.
-Glitch Girl

Shogunn2517

Quote from: bat1987 on October 29, 2014, 12:02:23 PM
Liking The Flash more than I did the first season of Arrow. Captain Cold was great in the latest episode.
Spoiler

It's weird that he wasn't the one that invented the cold gun, but it's not that bad, the gun creation created a nice conflict in the Flash team. The smirk that Snart had when Cisco called him Captain Cold was awesome. Felicity works really well with Barry, such a great dynamic. I liked the train scene as well. Oh and Heatwave!

I agree with this.
Spoiler
I'm not sure if just good acting or what, but Miller really sold that smirk.  I like how he had the look of Captain Cold WITHOUT it looking campy and goofy and he didn't just get defeated.  I was anticipating how a guy with no powers would able to match up with a guy with super speed and they made it believable enough.  And the Felicity/Barry relationship was fun to see.  The train scene worked really well.  I figured they wouldn't put to characters in two different shows together, but I'm glad they addressed it the way they did though.

I enjoyed it.