News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Brotherhood

Started by BentonGrey, June 03, 2014, 08:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

I'm working on my next X-Men mission a bit, and it just might involve the Brotherhood.  What do your builds for these guys look like?  I'm looking for clever and interesting ways to portray their powers.  I'm taking some liberties with the membership here, but it should work out to be a good mission.

• Magneto: I've got what I think is a fairly accurate build, but he's not as dangerous as he should be, because his powers don't do a lot of direct damage.  How do y'all handle him?
  • Blob
  • Unus the Untouchable
  • Pyro: I'm thinking that he needs Summoner and some flame minions.
  • Mystique: I can't think of much to do with her.
  • Toad
  • Avalanche
  • Vanisher: I want a way to make him interesting, gameplay-wise
  • Sabertooth
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

I do not have the characters set up anymore (doing another rebuilding of the characters, yet again :P), but here's how I typically portrayed them all:

Magneto - Largely crowd controlling, defensive, and had one or two powerful ranged attacks.  I had him set up to keep everybody off of their feet (Metal characters, especially) and his shields would block most types of damage.  His shields were up pretty often (I used FF Active Defense 75 with a long duration and a low energy cost), but when they went down, he was subject to being stunned and pummeled on.  He had a lot of knockback area/direct attacks, and he had a primary beam attack for high damage with medium stun and knockback and a fast velocity for actually damaging his foes, but again, he was very much based around crowd control.  And, of course, there's the obligatory immunity to mental attacks :P

Blob - Fairly simple.  He's slow, bulky, and crushing/energy damage does little against him.  I gave him rooted for immovability when stationary and a high weight so that when he does move, he's not easily knocked back, but it would still be possible.  He had slow, high-damage crushing attacks with one area "stomp" attack.  He would be vulnerable to fliers, though, as he was slow and didn't have anything to really deal with anything that was out of ranged for his fatty fists.

Unus the Untouchable - This guy was a bit tricky.  He doesn't really have anything that could be used for direct damage, but I guess that his force field power could be used as some direct/area knockback powers.  I guess he'd be a very disruptive villain, great at getting in the midst of a bunch of characters and spreading them thin for his teammates to pick off more effectively.  He could be the team's counter to ranged characters, having either a reflective active defense against ranged powers (melee included, but those would just be blocked) and his knockback abilities would be able to knock fliers out of the sky for his teammates to gang up on.

Pyro - Pretty self-explanatory.  He's an offensive blaster-type with Heat damage.  Not much he can really do but lay down ranged support for his melee-orientated teammates (Blob and Unus).

Mystique - Her powers aren't easy to adapt for :ffvstr:, unfortunately.  You could give her plenty of munitions and ranged attacks, though.  These can range from pistols to bombs to smoke grenades.  She could also be a nimble and adept fighter should anybody get too close (focusing on quick strikes and dodging rather than pure melee).

Toad - Leaps into melee to deliver vicious kicks.  His tongue can stun fliers and his spit can blind them.  Very acrobatic and leap-orientated.  Not much else, though.  Kind of squishy; susceptible to battles taking place on the Statue of Liberty.

Avalanche - Lots of area attacks and high knockback crushing attacks.  More vulnerable to fliers as his powers are ground-based (obviously), but he should also have a good number of stun abilities.  Perhaps a purgatory attack that simulates him opening a hole in the ground?  His power set isn't too diverse, but he should be able to keep others off of their feet (much like Unus and Magneto).

Vanisher - Teleportation, obviously.  He could be rigged with a multitude of gadgets (energy, heat, radiation, cold) to deal with the X-Men that the others can't deal with.  His teleportation abilities will keep him out of range easily enough an with his gadgets, he can pick off mutants that would otherwise be obnoxious for the team to deal with.

Sabretooth - Feral, berserker, damaging piercing melee attacks.  Blob would be the crushing melee tank; Toad would be the agile crushing melee acrobat; Sabretooth would be a mix of the two (more agile than the Blob; more damaging than Toad) with a good mix of claws and fists (I guess claws would be more prevalent, though).  Grim Resolve and Shake It Off were always two of my top attributes with him, with Berserker being mandatory.  Oh, and you cannot forget his healing factor.  His weakness would be, like a decent number of characters on the team, flying enemies.

Overall, the team could behave like this:

Magneto: Crowd Control; High-Damage to single targets (an energy-based beam attack and a stronger, electrical beam attack); Incredible defenses; No real weaknesses as he can deal with pretty much everybody.
Blob: Physical tank; High resistance to crushing; resistant to physical and energy; Can take quite the beating.
Unus: Spreads enemies out; Very difficult to deal with when using ranged attacks; Good knockback potential.
Pyro: High-damage to single targets with Heat-based powers.  He wouldn't be "Fire", but "Flesh" with volcanic.  He'd be resistant to Heat, but not immune, and he wouldn't be susceptible to cold.
Mystique: Piercing ranged-support and high damage output; Can hold her own against melee characters, but isn't too damaging in that respect.
Toad: Crushing scrapper with tongue and acid to deal with ranged characters and fliers.  Vulnerable to being surrounded and can be overwhelmed if not careful.
Avalanche: Crushing ranged-support with plenty of knockback.  Not effective when dealing with fliers, but ranged characters on the ground should be wary of him.
Vanisher: Uses gadgets and his teleportation to deal with those "odd" threats that the other team members might have a hard time dealing with.  Energy, radiation, ice, heat; anything to provide cover for his teammates and effective methods of falling back should enemies get too close.
Sabretooth: Piercing tank that can take a good amount of damage.  Brutal and fast striking; takes targets out quick and leaves the tanking to Unus and Blob.  He can't really do anything to fliers, though.

AfghanAnt

I love this game!

Mystique
Attributes
Cybernetic Brain
- She is a great shot and has nautral psychic defenses
Disguise
Shapeshifter
- Angel
- Sabretooth
Healing
- Naturally regenerative
Shake It Off
- Toxin and disease resistant

Powers:
Where It Hurts (Melee)
Crushing / Med / High Stun

Backstabber (Melee)
Piercing / High / High

Skull Grenades (Projectile)
Crushing / V. High / Stun / Knockback / Medium Radius

Thermite Shot (Projectile)
Heat / High / Knockback

Infil-Traitor (Direct)
Hypnosis / Low
She is skilled hypnotist/liar

Master Spy (Passive Defense)
Block Melee / 25%

Incognito (Special)
Cloak of Darkness / High / High
She can camouflage herself.

BentonGrey

Quote from: AfghanAnt on June 04, 2014, 01:15:33 AM
I love this game!

Me too!  :D

Thanks guys!  This is super helpful.  AA, I see that you've tried to model Mystique's sneakiness in her powers.  Nice.  I love that you've given her X-Men as alternate forms.  I'm going to have to do that.

Spyder, how did you do the 75 point Active Defense?  The highest I see is 50.  Magneto definitely needs something heavier, and an FF Active defense is totally perfect for him.  I need to go back and rework Guardian to give him one too.  I think my Magneto still needs work, and I want to tweak Mystique to take advantage to some of AA's ideas.  The rest of these I'm feeling pretty good about.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

AfghanAnt

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 05, 2014, 01:42:14 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on June 04, 2014, 01:15:33 AM
I love this game!

Me too!  :D

Thanks guys!  This is super helpful.  AA, I see that you've tried to model Mystique's sneakiness in her powers.  Nice.  I love that you've given her X-Men as alternate forms.  I'm going to have to do that.

Spyder, how did you do the 75 point Active Defense?  The highest I see is 50.  Magneto definitely needs something heavier, and an FF Active defense is totally perfect for him.  I need to go back and rework Guardian to give him one too.  I think my Magneto still needs work, and I want to tweak Mystique to take advantage to some of AA's ideas.  The rest of these I'm feeling pretty good about.

Oh instead of Sabretooth she should transform into Wolverine. I chose Angel to allow her flight and Sabretooth for strength (this could easily be Beast as well) since she has been shown to taken on physical abilities.

AfghanAnt

Toad
Leaping Lackey
- Leaping powerful melee with high knockback

Tongue Lash
- Poison tongue melee

Terrible Toad King
- 120 degree tongue crushing melee

Toxic Saliva
- Short distance poison projectile

Enhanced Agility
- Passive defense against melees and projectiles

Blob
Outta My Way
- Stomach melee with high knockback

Bit of A Bully
-Powerful crushing melee

Bear Hug
- Grapple melee

The Immovable Object
- Passive defense absorb or reflects crushing and piercing melee/projectiles

Pyro
Summoner  - "Flame Constructs"

Intense Heat
-Powerful ranged heat with stun

Engulf
- Projectile heat radius

Twin Flamethrowers
- Cone heat attack with stun

Flame Wall
Active defense against ice, crushing, and piercing damage

Pyromantic
- Passive defense 100% heat redirect

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 05, 2014, 01:42:14 AMSpyder, how did you do the 75 point Active Defense?  The highest I see is 50.  Magneto definitely needs something heavier, and an FF Active defense is totally perfect for him.  I need to go back and rework Guardian to give him one too.  I think my Magneto still needs work, and I want to tweak Mystique to take advantage to some of AA's ideas.  The rest of these I'm feeling pretty good about.

In the ffx.py, I copied one of the existing "ffactivedefense" functions and modified it to look like this:

Spoiler
[b]def initffactivedefense75[/b](char,update=0):
    if isMP():
        return
    FFX_ObjectSetAttr(char,'ffactivedefense',0)
    FFX_ObjectSetAttr(char,'ffactivedefenseMaxHP',[b]75[/b])
    if update==0:
        remote=getByTemplate(char,FFX_FFACTIVEDEFENSE_CUSTOM,6)
        if remote != 'Remote Only':
            addCommandChars('%s_SELF'%getByTemplate(char,FFX_FFACTIVEDEFENSE_CUSTOM,1),char,'OnffActiveDefenseSelf',100,update)
        if remote == 'No Remote':
            return
        else:
            addCommandChars('%s_REMOTE'%getByTemplate(char,FFX_FFACTIVEDEFENSE_CUSTOM,1),char,'OnffActiveDefense',30,update,char)

The bold (well, the lines encased by [ b ] and [ / b ]) is what I changed.  I simply changed two numbers to '75' rather than the previous number (which was fifty).

Once I did that, I went into FFEdit, added the attribute (named "ffactivedefense75") and then I added a string entry for the new attribute in my mod folder's "Lang/English/strings.txt" file.

Groucho

Hey Benton,

I'm not good at this stuff but maybe an idea for Mystique would be to have her change shape into a different X-Men every 10 seconds or so creating confusion which would cause a random X-men to attack one of their teammates every once in a while by mistake.
I don't want to belong to any superhero group that would allow me as a member!

detourne_me

The trouble with mystique is that when she shifts, the game's AI still recognizes her as an enemy. I think only the 'disguise' function can get around it. I'd give her the beautiful characteristic, or maybe modify the pheromones one, so anyone too close to her has a chance of being hypnotized.

I love the idea of a redirect passive defense for Pyro... Gonna have to use that.

You can give Vanisher an offensive side to his teleportation by giving him a melee for Density Max and swapping it for teleport. My Nightcrawler uses this pretty frequently and it's an excellent way to stop incoming melee attacks and cause a little damage.

Figure Fan

I never thought to use Hypnotize as a power for Mystique. Hmm... *takes notes*