Games Radar "Best Super Hero Games of All Time"

Started by Shogunn2517, June 05, 2014, 03:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-superhero-games-all-time/

Thought this was a fun list to digest and dissect.  A lot of games on the list I played(still play), some I never desired to play and quite a few I feel should be included.  But for the uninitiated:

Spoiler

25.  The Punisher(Arcade)
24.  Champions Online(PC)
23.  Comic Jumper(X-Box 360)
22.  Justice League Heroes:  The Flash(Game Boy Advance)
21.  X-Men Arcade(Arcade)
20.  X-Men Origins:  Wolverine(PC/PS3/X360)
19.  Scribblenauts Unmasked(Wii U/Nintendo 3DS)
18.  Deadpool(PS3/X360/PC)
17.  Lego Batman 2: DC Heroes(Multi)
16.  The Punisher(PS2/XBox/PC)
15.  Infinite Crisis(PC)
14.  Marvel Heroes(PC)
13.  Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2(PS3/X360)
12.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:  Turtles In Time(Arcade)
11.  Lego Marvel Super Heroes(multi)
10.  DC Universe Online(PC/PS3/PS4)
9.  Saints Row IV(PC/PS3/X360)
8.  Viewtiful Joe(Gamecube)
7.  Spider-Man: Web of Shadows(PC/PS3/X360/Wii)
6.  Infamous 2(Playstation 3)
5.  Injustice:  Gods Among Us(PS3/X360/Wii)
4.  The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction(PS2/XBox/GC)
3.  Freedom Force(PC)
2.  Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3(PS3/X360)
1.  Batman:  Arkham City(PC/PS3/X360)

BentonGrey

Well, FF should definitely be number 1, and there are a few other issues as well.  I suppose that's a pretty solid list, though.  Neat Shogunn!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Shogunn2517

A few honorable mention that I would have included(assuming I had some control over the list):

-Captain America and The Avengers, which is up there with X-Men and TMNT as one of those CLASSIC team arcade games that everyone pours at least $50 of quarters in.  I preferred it over the others mentioned.
-X-Men 2: Clone Wars, from the Sega Genesis/SNES, loved the game.  Graphically it looked great.  A game we could play as MAGNETO and could use mutant powers without some silly energy bar restricting us.  SN:  The first X-Men game on the Genesis had the great idea that forced players to boldly reset the gaming system at one point.  It was nerve-wrecking but a awesome gimmick.
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance, I preferred more than the second one.  I thought 2, though better graphically and added more in terms of gameplay, was more restrictive.  I just liked the story and characters in the first more.
-Spider-Man 2, honestly maybe about 20 minutes away from going and popping that game in my PS2 right now.  It's probably my favorite game ever.  I remember when I first rented it when it came out, the guy at Blockbuster said "It's like Grand Theft Auto with powers."  Now there are now games out that are ACTUALLY that(actually on the list), but this was the first.  This was the first open-world Spiderman game.  Being able to websling throughout the entire city with the physics right it was too much.  To this day, I still love climbing to the top of the antenna of the Empire State building and diving stright off and spinning a web at the VERY last second.  Or sometimes not.  Love this game.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 05, 2014, 03:59:20 AM
Well, FF should definitely be number 1, and there are a few other issues as well.  I suppose that's a pretty solid list, though.  Neat Shogunn!

Honestly, I'm surprised it's as high as it is!  I guess that's a win for us.  It's a great game, we made it even better(or you all did, lol) and I'm happy it got this kind of recognition.

bat1987

Interesting list. Spider-man 2 really should have been on the list. Great open world experience and first of the super hero kind.

Glad to see Web of Shadows there though. Such a great combat system, made ya really feel like ol' webhead. Agreed about MUA being better than the sequel. The Punisher is everything a Punisher game should be, well deserved spot. I myself prefer Injustice over UMVC 3 for a number of reasons, but to each his own. Agree all in all with most of these, even though I'd place them differently. Glad to see DCUO there as well, its a great use of the DC license and you get to interact with all the big guns as your own character. Pleasantly surprised to see Freedom Force so high up. Just some of them I wanted to comment on, since I played most of these lol

First spot is more than deserved (I prefer the story in Origins and AA though). AC is a phenomenal game, a full Batman experience. It will only get better with batmobile in Arkham Knight :thumbup:

Tomato

If you look though, it seems like they're only taking one rendition from each series (No Arkham Asylum, no MUA1, etc.) because otherwise the list would get bogged down with sequels and prequels and such. Spiderman 2, Ultimate Spiderman, and Web of Shadows all share the same basic engine, so my assumption is they just picked their favorite for the list.

That said though, I agree that there are issues with some of their franchise choices. MUA2 was a glitchy mess, far inferior to the first game. The aforementioned Spiderman 2, while not as shiny as Web of Shadows, had a bit more meat to it IIRC.

John Jr.

It's great to see  :ff: get some recognition. But it was kinda of a surprise, since the game wasn't exactly a blockbuster like some others in the list.
And I agree with Tomato about the series issue, otherwise we would end a lot of "Arkhams" in the list.

catwhowalksbyhimself

City of Heroes is an incredibly important part of gaming history since it ending the so-called "Superhero Curse."  It may not have been a blockbuster, but it was successful and critically acclaimed.  Most importantly, it opened the floodgates for the current proliferation of super-hero games.  It would be a bad list if it was not included.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

detourne_me

I think X-Men Legends might predate City of Heroes, no?

abenavides

I think FF killed the "superhero curse"

(It even says so on my site's FAQ , first written in 2002  ;) )
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: detourne_me on July 25, 2014, 10:22:51 AM
I think X-Men Legends might predate City of Heroes, no?

No, that was 3 years later.  Until Freedom Force came around, no Superhero game was comericialy successful or even managed to get released.  It was called the "Superhero Curse."  It wasn't until after FF that this changed.  X-Men Legends is really a response to FF.  Similar in many ways, but not a copy.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Figure Fan

Wow, I was surprised to see Freedom Force make the list. I never read or see anything about it these days.

My only question is: Where is City of Heroes? It's much better than Champions...