Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: Tomato's skinwork: Power Ring I (09/30/19)  (Read 79791 times)

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
Re: Tomato's skinwork: Power Ring I (09/30/19)
« Reply #990 on: October 03, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
I'd love to do almost everyone in the dcu, but there are SO MANY and skins take so long it's more a question of getting to them at that point.

After I finish PR, I'm gonna shift focus to the Fel(as in Felonious) five Teen Terrors. I'm a huge Titans fan, it's where I first got into making my own earth 3 counterparts, and I'm excited to get into them. I expect that alone to take me to next year.

That said, if we're just talking designing characters... I wouldn't mind designing and/or working with other skinners. Heck, I know the E3 stuff is kinda my thing now, but I do not mind at all seeing other takes on them, and in fact I have a bunch Benton sent me.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #991 on: October 06, 2019, 05:12:31 PM »

Obviously pre-face/mask, I'll work on that either later today or next weekend.

To give context for those not in the discord, the thought process I had was to try to find a way to match the showmanship of Alan's classic costume. Alan designed his costume to leave an impression, and I don't see any reason his counterpart would be any different in that regard. The trick was to find a way to somehow match the spirit of the costume, while being its own thing.

The initial inspiration was the style of the Third Doctor, played by Jon Pertwee, specifically his "Inverness Cape." It's this bizarre cross between a trenchcoat and a cape, and Pertwee's outfits would often have a dark (usually black) outside material and a bright, glossy interior color (usually red) that stood out whenever he moved around. From there, Benton suggested using a Mandarin coat in keeping with the Chinese roots of Alan's origin, and (though I haven't skinned it yet) I plan on adding a Zorro style mask both for its theatricality and for its more bandit-like edge.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 05:39:43 PM by Tomato »

Offline Podmark

• meow
    • Hero Force
« Reply #992 on: October 06, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
Wow, very cool, not at all what I was expecting from the silhouette preview you showed the other day.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #993 on: October 07, 2019, 05:00:22 AM »

Yeah, I get that. Part of the impulse with making EVIIIIILLL versions of a character is that there's a compulsion to make characters gritty and dark and evil looking... but I tend to shy away from that approach when it doesn't fit the character. Instead, I try to go back to the idea of their design and give it a different spin... Jay, for instance, has a very basic design: his original "costume" is a red tee shirt and jeans he sewed lightning bolts onto and a goofy hat he pulled from a Mercury costume. The Arrow design I worked from works because, functionally, it's very similar... it's a leather jacket and jeans "Jay" added a lighting bolt to, but it adds a bit of a subtle edge because it's intentionally a bit more soldier-esque.

Likewise, Alan is a showman, and because his ring does most of the work anyway, his costume is intentionally more about style than about functionality. As such, I think it's fair to say his costume wouldn't have been any less garish if he was evil. If anything, because of how the ring works, I see Scott Alan (the name I gave Alan's counterpart) leaning into the showmanship of the costume even more as Power Ring, seeing himself as a zorro or robin hood type figure.

Offline Podmark

• meow
    • Hero Force
« Reply #994 on: October 08, 2019, 12:27:25 AM »
Yeah I see what you are going for.
From the silhouette I got a more Guy Gardener in a leather jacket vibe. Just shows where a mind can go with presented with a shadow.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #995 on: October 08, 2019, 05:34:03 AM »
Scott and Henry (PR and Zoom) are officially released on Heroforce.

Offline naitvalis

« Reply #996 on: October 10, 2019, 04:36:05 AM »
Very nice! This one have an oriental misterious look thanks to that red dress while i expect one similar to Sherlock holmes from the shadow you show, this one is very original, also some mustaches like the mandarin could fit...however good job 'mato.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #997 on: October 19, 2019, 04:33:24 AM »

Wait, Tomato done with a skin on a first edit? What mad sorcery is this!?!

I kid of course. Truthfully, this isn't so much a "new skin" as a quick mod of my Johnny Quick II skin, which will be packed with a more Kid-Flash esque version as well. When planning out designs for Talon and Sea Lord, I decided that I wanted to make 2 versions, one that could be paired against the canonical 60s Teen Titans (booty shorts and all), and one for more modern designs (such as BTAS Dick Grayson Robin). Super Lass also ended up with two designs, one to match her first outfit, and one to pair against her classic red w/stars look from the 70s.

And, well, if I'm doing 2 variants for most of the Terrors ANYWAY... may as well do a version of Kid Quick referencing Wally's stupid original costume.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #998 on: October 19, 2019, 10:19:25 PM »

Finished the more classic, Kid Flash inspired look earlier today. Opted to go with the lightning bolt ears instead of the normal helmet bolts from Johnny Quick III because it makes the design feel more transitional.

Better shot of the face. I wanted something a bit younger looking and less stark than either his mentor or the older JQ3 face.

And hey, quick note since I was just posting about it elsewhere: I post a lot of designs and WIPs for my CSA works over on the Freedom Reborn Discord. Feel free to join us.

Offline Podmark

• meow
    • Hero Force
« Reply #999 on: October 20, 2019, 12:12:36 AM »
Very nice. I really like the classic style Kid Quick. It's a nice conversion of Wally's outfit.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #1000 on: November 02, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »

Talon is progressing. Like KQ this one is another two skin deal, so I'm basically working on both skins at once. Right now I'm focusing on the "Classic" version (while setting aside any pieces I'm sharing), which is VERY loosely based on his design from Countdown. There's also going to be a second, which is basically a Talon-ified version of Dick's TAS design.

Offline Podmark

• meow
    • Hero Force
« Reply #1001 on: November 02, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »
Looking good. Can't wait to see the final version.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #1002 on: November 02, 2019, 10:39:06 PM »
Little did you know, that is the final version

Muahahahaha

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #1003 on: November 03, 2019, 02:30:38 AM »
Little did you know, that is the final version

Muahahahaha

Actually, this is

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #1004 on: November 03, 2019, 03:23:29 AM »
Don't forget to show off the mullet!