News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

FF Mods and FFEDIT

Started by abenavides, June 12, 2014, 11:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abenavides

OK, I haven't spent a lot of time on it, but the current state of affairs seems to be that you can't use the original FFEDIT (FF version) on PCs with newer versions of Windows. The leveledit.exe crashes due to some DLL call.

Haven't tried this, but shouldn't it be doable to edit an FF mod's map files using the new FFEDIT (FFv3R version?)
I know that:
a) the DAT formats are pretty identical (I think there may be a slight difference in characters.dat but I think a resave corrects this.
b) usually FF nifs open OK in ffv3r

If all the paths are setup just right, it might work?

You could even theoretically use the old FFEDIT and just point the game.exe and leveledit.exe parts to ffv3r and see if that works?

Anyone look into this?
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

spydermann93

I've actually never tried this, surprisingly, as whenever I download a mod, I immediately browse through the characters, but :ff: doesn't let one view the built-in characters outside of the campaign database.  It was one thing that :ffvstr: got right when it allowed one to actually view built-in characters in the character menu :P

If one could do this, that would definitely be a help.  Again, never tried it, but it might work.

abenavides

I'll give it a shot eventually (a few others things to do first), but wondering if anyone had attempted.

Basically - the ffedit.exe itself is just for data entry into the dat files. The ffv3r one might be fine for ff DATs. Even if it's not, the old FFEDIT works fine even on Win7.

The leveledit.exe is the issue. so the hope would be that we could use the ffv3 version to place objects/characters on a FF map.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

abenavides

Had a little time and tried this .
Basically, I just changed the paths in FFEDIT2 to point to a FF mod .
All the DAT files worked. I then used the ffv3r level editor and it launched without any issues.
However, I got a mostly black screen.
Not sure if it's NIF issues or a path problem.

Still, might be something that can work.
www.alexff.com

BentonGrey

The latter is PROBABLY a path problem, though I'm not sure.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

bearded

Old post, but relevant. I am trying to use ffedit2 with  :ff: and it seems to be going will but my fx tab is full of blank. Any thoughts?