News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Spade drawings

Started by HarryTrotter, June 15, 2014, 09:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

I was trying to draw an original charachter but it turned out too much like Deathstroke.And I suck at drawing BTW.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

MJB

I'm going to preface by stating that I am in NO means an expert on drawing...

First question I have did you perchance draw this while looking at another drawing as basis? I ask because there is some wonky lines in there that don't really make sense. There is NOTHING wrong with using another drawing to learn how to get a drawing to work. BUT you do need to know what the lines in the body belong to.

If you do nothing but use other artists work to teach you how to draw you will be forever fighting an uphill battle. I know this from experience. I worshiped everything Todd McFarlane & Rob Liefeld drew back in the day. I emulated them so much that I really didn't know what I was doing was wrong. I would add lines to places to make a drawing look more like how Liefeld did it but I didn't understand what they meant. My stuff was a mess. Heck to this day I'm still doing stuff the wrong way because I didn't learn how to do it properly.

I would love to see more of your drawings. If I'm wrong in my assumption then I apologize. Don't take anything I said the wrong way. I just love to help young artists develop their craft.

HarryTrotter

Yea,I was trying a conversion of sort.
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Best way to learn how to do body placement with any character.. is get an extremely articulated action figure with like a million joints on it, like the older Marvel Deluxe action figures of Spider-Man and then use him as a pose model. Been working for me to learn and practice how to draw certain poses.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

MJB

Very good tip, Crimson. Action figures are wonderful to use while learning to draw.

Like I said Spade keep up the drawing! I wanna see more. :mjb:

Reepicheep

That is pretty good. Normally the first thing I say to folks is to keep their lines clean and thick, but you've done a good job of that already.

Take a look at a book called How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. I think there are a few artists on this board who started there and found their own style with that book. In fact, I think it was Meej who recommended it to me in the first place, like, seven years ago.

I would also second Meej's comment about emulation. Try this as a rule: for every image you copy, do two drawings of your own applying what you've learned from that copy.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

daglob

Burne Hogarth did a series of books, two of which (Dynamic Anatomy and Dynamic Figure Drawing) have lots of stuff on visualizing the human figure in 3-D space. You can probably get them through ILL.

Me, I've got copies.