The Rumors are True! (serious you guys)

Started by B A D, June 26, 2014, 01:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B A D

Hi there, long time no post.

If you have been hearing rumblings about this superfantastic  game of extreme awesomeness POSSIBLY returning, let me tell you -

There is a SERIOUS effort going on right now to bring the game back, and it is VERY close to fruition. There is a studio, an offer, and the process is in FINAL negotiations with NCSoft for the product. We may see a positive official post as early as August.

I dunno about you guys, but no other game gave me the warm fuzzy like  City of Heroes/Villiains/Rogues and I am very excited if/when this actually comes to pass.

There is a facebook page regarding details, and closer to the source this forum and post:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.0.html

So fingers crossed, Gentlemen, and Ill soon be back to ignoring you all while I quest for badges.

PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

Reepicheep

There is only one thing that can save me from my hyper productive, super healthy lifestyle.  :thumbup:

catwhowalksbyhimself

Really?  After so long?  I admit I have mixed feelings about this.  While I loved and do miss CoH, it was an old game with an old engine.  Since it's already down, I'd rather see a sequel than the old one back.  I have high hopes for City of Titans and will feel bad if they have to cancel the project.  A lof of their plan were frankly an improvement on the original.  Now if they could somehow combine the two things, that I could go for.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Ephemeris

B A D

I thought the same thing, but read the thread. This is serious and probably going to happen.

Cat, If you read through the thread, there are plans to address old engine stuff.

Plus a few Ideas about intergrating the Titan team into COX 2 in whatever form it takes.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

catwhowalksbyhimself

If they just bought the IP and made CoH 2, then fine.  I'd be all behind it, particularly if they roled in the CoT team and kickstarter funds.  Just making more adjustments to an outdated engine and system, no.

stumpy

Holy cats! B A D, has anyone read that whole thread? Talk about TL:DR, it's over 2,200 posts!  :lol:

I am kidding somewhat, but it is a long thread and I am interested if there is a summary of just the facts by the people who actually know something? I don't mean gamers speculating. That's fun, but, at the end of the day, it's not good information. Has anyone actually privy to details of the proposed deal described the proposal, its prospects, and what substantive steps have taken place to move it forward?

The problem with threads like that in fan boards is that someone hears that "X might happen" and then the rest of the thread is 95% speculation by people who have no direct facts, but are happy to share their happy fantasies or horrific visions about the project, guided by their wisdom about how these things work. And, by "wisdom", I mean that they don't know much about finance, or intellectual property, software development, marketing, etc., but, by virtue of having played video games, they "know how these things work"! :rolleyes:
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Lionheart

If they were able to accomplish this and get the game up and running, I would most likely play it, outdated engine or not. Having played Champions, DCUO, and Marvel Heroes, I'd jump back into that outdated game in a heartbeat. While the newer games definitely have things I like, overall CoH was more fun to me than any of the newer games. I would love, of course, a mashup of my favorite parts of each game. But as a whole, I enjoyed CoH more than the others.

Tortuga

I'd love to hop back in to Paragon City/Rogue Isles!

catwhowalksbyhimself

I admit that, in spite of my preference for a new game, if the old one went back up again, I wouldn't be able to resist flying the sky with Recon or running an ITF again.  Call me a hyprocrit if you like.

MJB

I'll continue to watch things unfold with a couple fingers crossed. Computer issues & monetary ones prevented me from enjoying CoH in its twilight months. I would VERY much enjoy having another go at it.

Figure Fan

This would be so awesome. Since moving to a big city, I am frequently reminded of the days when I played CoH.

rain

Looks legit.

Don't want to get my hopes up....

but yeah.... this could really happen.

-rain

Every time a Hammyo'ed MoG scrapper falls to an elec snipe in the arena, an angel gets his wings

RAZDAWG22

This would be excellent as I just rediscovered this site after many years away and want to get back into a Superhero game.

:razdawg
"Calling me a dog...Well leave a dog alone...Cause nothing can stop me from burying your bones..."
Agent of H.A.M.S.T.E.R. - Urban Warfare Division

Ephemeris

Here is a link to the Titan forum you guys might be interested in (if you haven't already seen it):
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10284.0.html

The spokesman for the group dealing with NC Soft discusses what's going on.

MJB

From reading what was posted we are still a long way from anything official being released. Trying to stay positive since there is a chance I can jump back into CoH one of these days.

BigAl1775

Quote from: RAZDAWG22 on August 13, 2014, 05:51:48 PM
This would be excellent as I just rediscovered this site after many years away and want to get back into a Superhero game.

:razdawg
While it isn't COH, we have a presence in DCUO right now. Fairly strong one, to be honest. We are well recognized in the community there and are always welcoming Freedomers.  :D
Dreadlok-Officer of Freedom Reborn on DCUO (PC)
              -Founder of Freedom Reborn on Marvel:Contest of Champions (tablet)

MikeB7

I'm still around (email and FB) and will still be front and center with the Freaky-Deakies if either CoH successor goes live.  :mikenstein

MJB

I will be left of center with the Freaky-Deakies. I pledge to build the laggiest library to ever be built in a base ever!

MikeB7

It will be a thing of beauty, pure and true.  Oh, how they will hate you.   :thumbup:

Tortuga

I never was Freaky or Deaky (Deakie?). Someday, I hope to rectify that.

MikeB7

Ephemeris

Niiiccee! Great tune!  Maybe one day I'll sign up for Face Space, My Book, My Face or whatever it is.

I'm up to 20470 songs.

I miss hanging with everyone.  I hope CoH does return so we can get the gang back together.

Here's one I've been listening to lately (not Prog):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4s5bj5fZO8

MikeB7

An uncle gave us his entire music collection in *.flac format.  I spent weeks going thru, listening, converting to mp3 stuff I wanted.  I left hundreds of Classical albums in that format on the external drive.  I'm up to 26054 songs - 91.4 days, 209.81 GB (not counting the classical).  I can't tell you how many cheesy 80s smooth jazz elevator music albums I deleted, lol.

CoH is still very much in my thoughts, we reminisce every few months or so.

My recent obsession is Machinedrum  :)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdPU0iHgLM

BigAl1775

Quote from: MJB on September 08, 2014, 03:56:39 AM
From reading what was posted we are still a long way from anything official being released. Trying to stay positive since there is a chance I can jump back into CoH one of these days.
From my understanding, CoT is dragging feet (sorry, can't reveal sources). So it may be a while.
Dreadlok-Officer of Freedom Reborn on DCUO (PC)
              -Founder of Freedom Reborn on Marvel:Contest of Champions (tablet)

Xenolith

I own Worlds Apart (the album where that song come from) on tape, CD, and now as an mp3.  One of my favorite albums as I was just exploring music at that point in my life and this was very cool to me.  I didn't know what 'prog' was.

Captain Spectacular

I have never played CoH, but I hope for its fans that it does make a comeback.  Personally, I don't have a problem with Champions Online, but in all honesty, that and Star Trek Online are the only MMORPGs I have ever played; so, I have only limited experience to work from.

catwhowalksbyhimself

While I doubt the original City of Heroes will ever come back, the fan made City of Titans is well on it's way.  The costume designer looks like it's going to be amazing and the combat and quest systems are being put together now.  Just hold in there guys.

spydermann93

I reeeeeeeallly can't wait for City of Titans. My folks and I played a LOT of CoH and CoV, together.

I was always making new characters, though. I don't think I ever got passed level 30, haha :P

My folks, on the other hand, had several at level 50.

Ephemeris

Just a heads up to those that liked base editing...  Codewalker is currently testing bases to add to Paragon Chat.

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12087.msg211080#msg211080
Soon

I've stopped into Paragon Chat a few times...I've enjoyed db editing my costumes.