EZScript Question - There Can Be Only One!

Started by BentonGrey, July 09, 2014, 02:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

So guys, I'm working on an X-Men mission, and I'm wondering about how I might accomplish something slightly clever.  I want to make the mission be about protecting a character.  By that, I mean the entire mission, not just one encounter. 

For example, Prof. X has to be protected, and I want waves of minions to come at him, not just one massive mob.  That requires multiple encounters, meaning that I'd need to kill and respawn Xavier between each one to do this normally, OR only one of them could have protecting him as an actual condition.

So, is there any way that y'all can think of to do that?  Perhaps naming the character and recalling the name in each succeeding encounter?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 09, 2014, 02:44:54 AM
So, is there any way that y'all can think of to do that?  Perhaps naming the character and recalling the name in each succeeding encounter?

I have no clue what I'm talking about here, so I'll apologize in advance if I sound silly.

Can you name Prof X (Prof X1, Prof X2, ProfX3, etc) to trigger each encounter so you're not trying to have the "Same" Character trigger each encounter?

spydermann93

I sent you a pm, Benton.

Hopefully the idea is at least a little decent :P

joemama

Hate to necro-post, but I saw this a while ago and just now had an idea (better late than never?).  You can probably "fake" it by making one encounter where you protect the ally and then a series of encounters where villains attack your heroes.

1) Make it a timed mission.  Create a custom "protect" encounter with the mission time limit.   Try it without baddies, as defeating them will "end" the encounter.  In other words, the only ways for the "protect" encounter to end now would be if the time expired (success) or Prof X gets KO'd (failure).

2) Create however many "hunter-killer" encounters you want using "Villains Attack Innocent Allies" and "Villains Fight Heroes".  You can also try "Villains Hunt Enemy".

3) Wrap it up with an epilogue encounter/cut scene using "Starts When: Protection, HK## at End"

If the "hunter killers" aren't attacking your ally, you can try using the "Allies: Prof X named Prof X" trick on all encounters ("protect" included), but I think the "innocent allies" and/or "hunt enemy" actions will do it.  If you really get desperate you can try giving the baddies an aoe attack that will cause collateral damage to Prof X and nerf his hp so he gets KO'd quickly.

BentonGrey

Joe, those are great ideas!  I need to adapt some of them.  The timed mission approach is particularly promising, I think.  Thanks for giving me your input!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

yell0w_lantern

Wouldn't something like this work:

QuoteStory: MyStory

Encounter: Start
Type: Cutscene
Allies: professor_x named chuck

Start Cutscene:
Set lighting to day
Camera on chuck
Unfade
Hero says, "they're after the professor!"
Next: Wave 1

Encounter: Wave 1
Type: Custom
Actions: allies do not fight, allies follow heroes, allies remain after encounter ends,  minions start immediately, minions start at distance, villains start immediately, villains hunt heroes
Villains:
Minions:
Next: If Ally Survives: Wave 2
Next: If Ally Lost: Lose

Alert Cutscene:
Ally says, "i sense danger!"

Enemies Down Cutscene:
Hero says, "so far, so good"

Ally Lost Cutscene:
Hero says, "oh, no! we've failed!"

Encounter: Wave 2
Actions: allies do not fight, allies follow heroes,  allies remain after encounter ends,  minions start immediately, minions start at distance, villains start immediately, villains hunt heroes
Villains:
Minions:
Next: If Ally Survives: Wave N

Alert Cutscene:

Enemies Down Cutscene:
Hero says, "so far, so good"

Ally Lost Cutscene:

Encounter: Wave N
Actions: allies do not fight, allies follow heroes,  allies remain after encounter ends,  minions start immediately, minions start at distance, villains start immediately, villains hunt heroes
Villains:
Minions:
Next: If Ally Survives: Win

Alert Cutscene:

End Cutscene:
Hero says, "i think we did it!"

Ally Lost Cutscene:
Yellow Lantern smash!