News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

That Tomato guy's Thread

Started by Tomato, July 11, 2014, 12:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

It is a Justice Lord figure, so yes. I've got a few of the official Mattel ones on order, but Flash here has been sitting on my desk waiting for me to work on him since I decided to include them.

Tomato

bat1987

Nice display. Arkham villains shelf looks pretty dope, I like it a lot. And man that animated corner is gonna look great as soon as you get more of them.

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Tomato

Actually, I think I HAVE a Constantine figure... somewhere. The DCUC figure was part of the Club Infinite Earths subscription, so I'm sure it's somewhere at my parent's house. Thing is though, I don't have any shelves for him to be a part of, so it got lumped with a lot of other figures that I just keep in storage in case I ever find a use for them.

In other news, I actually got Catwoman ahead of schedule (it wasn't supposed to be here until January 2nd) so I'll be doing another review of that one. I've had more time to prepare for this one, so it might take me a bit to get a review posted.

Tomato

So through a series of odd coincidences, I got all the Justice Lords figures on the same day, despite buying them weeks apart and from 3 separate sellers. The Batman and Superman figures came with the stupid "brainiac clone" deco (and had a TON of paint smudges besides) so I opted to re-sculpt them a bit to better match their cartoon appearances.

Cyber Burn

I have to say, I am extremely envious of this collection.  :D

Tomato

Still putting off doing my review of Freeze, but I've been meaning to post some updates for a few shelves that have recently gotten a few new additions:

Not much new here, admittedly, but I finally broke down and purchased a DCUC Green Arrow. I was debating which version of Ollie to get for awhile, because the other version is arguably a more "classic" interpretation of the character... however, I ultimately decided to go with the "Brightest Day" costume because A. It's more recent and thus cheaper, and B. I already had the other costume represented with his JLU figure. I'm glad I did too... the Brightest Day costume really pops against the more drab greens of the other Arrows.

A slightly bigger update here, in that I finally started picking up the DCC Crime Syndicate figures. It's a bit surprising it took me this long to get around to it... It was the figures that got me truly excited for Forever Evil, and while it's not my favorite CSA story of all time, it's easily my favorite DC event post-flashpoint. The figures are, if anything, more beautiful in hand than in some of the solicits, and I can't wait to expand my roster.

And then... there's Mr. Freeze. I've made no secret of my lack of enthusiasm for this figure, and it did not help matters that the person who sold him to me broke his gun wielding hand and didn't bother to include that little tidbit in the description. It's nothing I couldn't fix (obviously, since he's holding the gun in the photos) but it's still irritating to deal with. Plus, the figure itself is... not great. I'll go into it more when I do an actual review, but while Catwoman really cemented the line for me, I can see why fans were so divided after Batman and Freeze came out.

bat1987

Ya, the CSA figures are amazing. Not sure why they changed Owlman's color scheme though, the prototype looked more like he does in FE.

Tomato

So I had some time to kill today, and since I was in need of a new pair of work shoes anyway I stopped by Wal-Mart and killed some time going through the toy aisle... when I ran across the latest wave of lego DC sets. Now that LB3 is out, we're starting to see sets that cover more of the DC Universe... and while I'm probably passing on most of the sets due to price, there was at least one I knew I needed to pick up: set #76028, Darkseid Invasion. After choking down my frustration with the giant hole the set was going to make in my wallet (the set was almost $70!) I made my way to checkout.

Much to my delight, unlike a lot of previous sets which only give one or two additional minifigs, the Darkseid Invasion set comes with 4 brand new characters... Hawkman, Cyborg, Green Arrow, and Darkseid himself, which filled all the holes in my current Justice League collection with a single set. Additionally, the Superman minifig, while not "new," features a cape made of a softer, cloth-type material (the old capes were glorified construction paper) so I'm just as happy to get him even though I already had one. Really, the only disappointment in the set is Hawkman... while his inclusion makes it more likely I'll eventually get additional Hawkman figures, the wings on the minifig are made from a very thin, semi-translucent plastic that I do not foresee surviving serious play.

That said, I was also REALLY happy with the Javelin. I kind of shrug off most of the included builds for these sets... I have fun building the things, but outside of the occasional Batmobile I keep for display purposes, I don't really care enough to keep them around. But I'm debating what I'm gonna do with the Javelin... it doesn't go with any collections, but it's too cool a piece to show in a box somewhere.

Tomato

So I bought some figures the other day (I know right, me buying figures? That's almost as unexpected as Murs making silly remarks to lighten the mood.), specifically a few of the arkham figures from the DC multiverse line. I dismissed the line originally because I was already getting the DCC figures, but I prefer smaller lines for space reasons anyway. Between that and the prospect of shelling out 150+ on rounding out the DCC lineup, I'm pretty sold on making the switch. It doesn't help that the figures are actually pretty decent, with good articulation and solid sculpts. I plan to take pictures at some point, but I own 3 versions of Arkham Two Face now, and the new Mattel one is easily my favorite of the lot.

Between that and my budget shortfalls, I think I'd like to sell off my DCC Arkham figures. If anyone is interested in any of them before I put everything up online, send me a PM

Tomato

Pictures of the Multiverse figures I picked up, as I promised. I bought a Black Mask as well (you can see his DCC counterpart in at least one of the photos) but I can't find it at the moment for pics. Clayface in particular is probably why I finally decided to jump over the the multiverse line... Most of the DCC figures are fantastic, but that Clayface is not worth $90. Batman's easily the weakest, but I only bought the thing because it came included with Clayface, so it's not like I wanted it to begin with. He'll serve as a placeholder until I can get my hands on the Arkham Knight figure.

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm gearing up to sell my arkham figures... I have a day off on Thursday, so I'll be taking final photos and getting everything ready for shipment then. If anyone wants me to set some figures aside though, PLEASE let me know.

bat1987

That's too bad. But I totally get it, this hobby can get expensive, and some cuts need to be made from time to time.

Tomato

So I threw some of the money I made from my Arkham figures back into getting replacements, so now I have most of the available figures from the DC Multiverse line. I've been really happy with the DC Multiverse line overall (I have several of the Burton-era figures as well) and I think the only real disappointment is Deadshot, who was from one of the earliest waves and not nearly as sleek as the figures who came later. Between that and the drastically lowered price tag on these figures compared to the DCC ones (the most expensive was Clayface at $25, compared to the normal DCC price of $21) I'm relatively happy with the switch. Now I just wish they'd let me pre-order the date night pack already, because deliberately walking past AO Joker at my local targets is getting a little frustrating.

JeyNyce

I'm curious Mato, How come you don't collect the Marvel figures?  I have seen a great looking Captain Marvel as well as Spider-Girl (May-day Parker)

Tomato

I go back and forth on Marvel... I have most of the Marvel studios 6 in. figures, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next wave of Avengers so I can get AoU Cap, Iron Man and maaaaaybe Hulk.

The biggest problem with the marvel figures is Hasbro's lack of consistency. I started out collecting the X-men figures from the original ML line, but by the time I really got into it Hasbro was mainly doing Marvel Universe figures, with maybe 2-6 new ML figures coming out a year if we were lucky. But I stubbornly held onto the Marvel Legends line for years, before I saw the MU second genesis pack in stores, which was what finally broke me and got me collecting smaller figures in the first place... Hell, I was so happy with them I even got a whole bunch of Avengers figures to go with my X-men ones. But now, of course, they've recently started phasing out the Marvel Universe line since the Marvel Legends figures are apparently selling better.

So right now I'm kind of in limbo. The main ones I still want are X-men figures (my need for avengers figures on my shelf has pretty much been sated by the MCU ones), but with the (admittedly understandable) focus on characters related to Spiderman and the Avengers, X-men figures have been pretty sparse. Every so often I skim through previews to see if we've got some new X-men coming out (and to be fair, there are a couple I've been keeping an eye out for in stores... Bishop, Emma, and Collossanaut are ones I've been wanting for awhile), but for the most part the only new figures I've been really excited for are the 6in MCU ones.

bat1987

Those Multiverse figures do look good. Bane, Freeze and Clayface especially.

Cyber Burn

Sorry for the threadjack 'Mato, but there's a Collossanaut?

Tomato

There's one coming, I don't know if it's out yet though. Originally it was supposed to be in a 3 pack with Emma and pre-AvX Cyclops, but that pack never made it to market. However, both Emma and Collosanaut showed up at a toy fair earlier this year mixed in with the upcoming Infinite series figures, so they're probably just being reshuffled into the single pack releases.

Tomato

Finally found MLIS Wave 2 in stores today, couldn't resist getting all 3 MCU figures, replacing my old Iron Man, Captain America, and Hulk.

Not sure whether I'm going to bother with any of the other figures from the film, honestly. War Machine is a maybe, but I'm probably gonna pass on the four pack with Thor, Bruce Banner, Hawkeye, and Black Widow. Hawkeye is in the same costume I already have from Avengers 1, Bruce Banner is boring (and I already have Hulk on the shelf), I prefer the deco on the CA2 Black Widow figure, and Thor... I really don't care too much for Thor's outfit in AoU. It doesn't help that he's easily the most consistent of the MCU characters in terms of costume (it's basically the same for 3 successive films) and to suddenly change it to the gold is a bit off putting for me.

That said, Ant Man is a must buy, and I'll probably pick up Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver figures if they ever come out. Not gonna bother getting Ultron, mainly because he's a BAF and I'm not spending $100 on figures I don't want just to get an Ultron, especially since I've still got Loki in storage.

JeyNyce

I like how you put Spidey in the group, but I'm so used to him NOT being an Avenger that he looks out of place.  Very nice figures!

Tomato

Not the typical fare, but I had to show this off. Me wearing my new T-Shirt (with the Tomato to Model logo on it) holding the Minecraft version of me in the same shirt.

deanjo2000

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

bat1987

spydermann93

That's really neat, Tomato!!

Tomato

So just a heads up, I'm gonna be spoilering pics of my Batman shelf for the time being, as I'll be making some additions that could contain spoilers for the events of the latest game, Arkham Knight.

Tomato

So first of all, finished new Black Mask custom.

Also, update for the Batman Shelf (in spoilers tags because reasons)

Spoiler
But seriously guys, spoilers from Arkham Knight follow
Spoiler
Granted, it's not a very big spoiler, since the game totally telegraphs the reveal early on, but you still might wanna avoid the reveal.
Spoiler
Well, if you're sure... better be...
Spoiler
GRYFFINDOR!

... sorry
Spoiler

I skipped over Man0Bat this time, mainly because the photo came out really fuzzy and I didn't feel like taking it again

I might update later with a minor tweek to my Avengers shelf. I added a non-MCU legends figure (might add a few... you'll understand why when I post the pics) but she is determined to fall over, and I'm not up to fixing it for the 20th time right now.

Tomato

Yes, those ARE Giant Man and Wasp in the back with Ant Man. I figure they aren't very likely to appear in the films anyway (I should note that I have yet to see Ant-Man, so I guess there's a chance that they could appear in a flashback... but we certainly haven't seen any figures even if that is the case.)

bat1987

They look really cool together. Looking at TASM 2 figure, it's a shame the movie wasn't that good. The costume looks perfect, and I'm really curious how he'll look in the MCU, but that suit will be hard to top.

AOU Cap looks fantastic btw, really great, detailed sculpt.

Tomato

Yeah, whatever gripes you might have with the ASM series, the second movie had that costume pitch perfect. Anyway, off to see Antman!