Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Seasons Greetings!

Author Topic: That Tomato guy's Thread  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
Re: That Tomato guy's Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2016, 06:49:29 PM »

So I would have had actual photos for ya'll, but I had a string of bad luck this morning, so I had to leave without taking any. In the meintime, thought I'd post an example of my raging OCD... Basically, to prevent myself from going overkill and just never stopping, I have to chart out my collections pretty heavily to establish limits to my raging insanity.

I may have posted this chart before, but eagle eyed people might notice I swapped out Agent Venom for Space Venom... Mostly because I was buying the whole SV wave anyway and it didn't make sense to then buy a separate version of the same character.

In other news, I've already started painting Black suit USM, right now I've just gotta rework the head and add the chest symbol. I'm kind of annoyed that I ran out of time to take a quick photo, it looks so good already.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2016, 02:09:04 AM »

Need to set up my shelf for the current group shot, but here's USM as he currently stands. I'm waiting for the the sculpt to finish so I can sand down the eyes and finish painting the head, plus do some quick touch ups to the paint job, but I think he's coming along fairly nicely.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »

Much better photo this time, not with the mask as well. I'm actually still doing touch ups there (mostly just cleaning up edges) but he's mostly done, at least until I get the logo decals.

I'm gonna finish up a few minor things and then set up the shelf again, try to take a shot of the full collection

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2016, 10:27:38 PM »

So right after taking a whole bunch of photos of the shelf, my ipad dinged, letting me know the packages containing Hammerhead and Kraven the Hunter were delivered. So I was like "welp, so much for those photos" and ran down to go pick those up before the PO closed for the day. The successive batch of photos was not great, especially since the lamp is just to the left of the frame, but... eh.

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2016, 11:39:21 PM »
That is one impressive collection of spider-characters.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2016, 02:07:02 AM »
So after torturing myself over some of the recent (and not so recent) reveals, I finally broke down and restructured my list so as to incorporate some of the characters I had/wanted to add.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And an update to the shelf:

Yes, that is an unfinished Ricochet and a headless ML8 Green Goblin. The former will need some new pieces, and the latter's head will be stuck on a Spectacular Spider-Man body spliced with GG/Hobgoblin pieces for a Harry Osborn custom (I wanted the ML8 Goblin head since that's far closer to the classic art than the more modern Sandman wave GG). Electro is handless because I'm giving him some spare hands because the lightning ones weren't great.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »
So today I got some new additions to my MCU shelf, and since I was taking new photos of some of my old collections anyway (recently joined a forum for DBZ figures), I snapped some pics.

Offline Previsionary

• Mr. "Girl, please..."
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2016, 12:43:55 AM »
This is cute.
My natural response to ugliness is to throw a vase, in the hopes that whatever it strikes is marred with its beauty.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2017, 01:59:38 AM »
So I've been around a little bit less lately, partly due to me having the attention span of a gnat, but also because I've recently moved from an ok apartment with not a ton of space, to renting a house with 3 of my best friends. And unlike the apartment, which didn't REALLY have a ton of space for me to put my displays, we've got a bit more legroom as far as "hey, here's the top of a bookshelf I can put these figures on." Since today is my first "day off" (not really, but it was a half day) where I wasn't moving furniture up stairs and all that, I've had a bit of time to set some stuff up today, and took some photos.

Before I go into that though, question for other collectors out there: A few of the friends who will be moving down have pets, a dog and a cat. I'm not really worried about the cat knocking them off directly (the more valuable displays with customs are mostly in my room, anything downstairs can and has taken a few tumbles). That being said, there are always going to be issues with figures falling due to a bookshelf being knocked, and I'm trying to think of ways to, for lack of a better explanation, glue their feet to the shelf without actually gluing them down.

Anyway, to photos. We'll start with...

Titans

So this one's been through some iterations. I did finally unpack Tempest (he was made by loosecollector over a year ago, but I never unpacked him because when I got him I was moving from Maryland to Nevada, and then had no real space for displays). As for the Teeny Titans (they have a real name, but I'm not looking it up atm) I went through a few iterations of them and I'm still not entirely happy with the results. I got some of the Bandai figures from the original Teen Titans show, but those were kinda blah, they never really looked like the show, and making customs to fill in the gaps wasn't really appealing. Briefly got a few of the Jazwarez figures (which is where the Tower comes from btw) but... while I will credit them being show accurate, those were some cheaply put together toys. I bought a few larger ones for my brother (who LOVED Go) and Raven pretty much exploded right out of the box. Plus, the writing was pretty much on the wall that Mattel was taking that line away from pretty early on.

The reason I'm relatively ok with this line (which is Mattel's) is that, A. I got really into the Teeny Titans mobile game (it's good. worth the 4 bucks or whatever) and B. They're basically glorified lego men. If this line dies, customs are stupidly simple.

JLA/CSA

So this collection used to be a bit larger, but due to some issues (A few of the N52 league figures broke during one of the moves, and the DCEU ones... just... meh) but in a way it's also been distilled down into my favorite iterations of the two groups. Also, I've got this one set up on the shelf in my closet, which has a sliding door where you can only see one half of the closet or the other at a time: Nightmare for photos, but it's also like... I open one side, Justice League. Other side: CSA/Justice Lords.

Dragonball
So between getting the androids and the re-release of Cell I've mostly filled in the gaps with what's actually been released that I want. I have my WIP custom Gohan still packed up, haven't bothered to get him out since he still has no head to speak of atm. I'm eventually planning on making the second Cell (the Figure Rise one) into a custom Final Form King Cold, but I'm not there yet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe
Apologies on the cruddy quality of the photo, but getting a good shot with my ipad was kinda awkward. This one's had a few changes, partly due to the space I'm using for it, but also because of current and upcoming characters and figures.

First, I removed Giant Man and Wasp. I love them, I wish OC Janet and Hank were included, but the comic costumes just don't quite fit alongside the MCU counterparts. I'm kinda waiting to see what happens with Antman and Wasp though, since Wasp will be in that film, and I've been toying with how to include Hank. Second, I picked up some GotG figures finally... I know I know, but unlike the other MCU films, I don't have any attachment to the characters outside of the film. Third, I left a space open for the Netflix figures coming... whenever they're coming. I also currently have my Andrew Garfield Spider-Man chilling in the back of Team Iron Man until I bother to pick up the new SM figure.

Edit: Also, before I forget, I DO have a special space that's already home for the FR figures. I'm just not sure where one or two are at the moment (bubble wrap: Great for keeping figures safe during moves, not so great trying to find them amongst other bubble wrapped things.) so I'm waiting to take the photo until they're out.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:01:54 AM by Tomato »

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2017, 02:19:34 AM »
...and yet you still don't have a DJ, MikeB7, Gdaybloke, Beyonder, or MJB figure...hmph..no love for the originals...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline Podmark

• meow
    • Hero Force
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2017, 02:57:00 AM »
Sweet collection. I was actually really close to picking up some GotG figures today.
Is that Piccolo posable? If it is I'm really impressed to see a figure that can cross it's arms like that.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2017, 03:02:52 AM »
What they do with the figuarts figures (which is where that figure comes from) they're made for collectors, so they have swappable faces, arms, hands, etc. For the crossed arms, they're actually molded that way as a separate attachable piece, because there's realistically no way to do it otherwise with hard plastic.

That said, there are apparently Dragonball figures that have flexing biceps now. So that's a thing.

Offline SickAlice

• Virtual prophet and aspiring beet farmer
  • bing cherry
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2017, 04:57:06 PM »
Envy. I used to have so many (think I mentioned I worked at a toy store) but really loved the Spidey stuff. The design just lends itself to figures so well. My favorite line was probably Along Came A Spider followed by Planet Of The Symbiotes. I also love the Deep Sea Venom for some reason.

Speaking of I've been extracting models from Spider-man Unlimited and uploading them to my Deviantart account all week. Should have almost everything up by the months end short a few that came out broken. Spider-Ma'am was the first I did as I thought I recalled you asking about that one.

Envy your Mario stuff too. I've had a desire to buy a lot of the small plush World Of Nintendo ones. Sort of waiting for them to go down a buck or two. I have the Toad in Catsuit one though, he hangs out on my bed with with my Harley Quinn plushy lol.

Oh and last, was just looking at these online last night. Whoo, don't have the $$$ but I so WANT!...
http://necaonline.com/2016/05/sdcc-exclusive-tmnt-arcade-turtles-and-foot-clan-box-sets-video/

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »
So last week I went out and got a display shelf specifically for my Spider-Man figures... figured I'd show updates to that one off here.

Larger pics of the individual cubbies are up here, but I also want to show off the newly completed addition to the shelf, which has been a labor of love for me for awhile now.

So I've talked a bit about this before, but I'm a bit more of a fan of Harry Osborn as the Green Goblin than I am of Norman in the role. While Harry had died by the time I was 4 years old, I grew up on my dad's back issues, and I loved the complicated history between Harry, Liz, Mark, Peter, and MJ. Harry's confrontations with Peter just seemed much more... personal than they ever were with Norman, especially since... well, let's face it, aside from the secret identity thing, Norman really had nothing to do with Peter's life outside of his dealings with Harry. Harry ALSO knew Peter's secret identity, but there was also personal torment because he was also Peter's friend. And they've TRIED to do some weird father-son dynamic with Norman and Peter since his resurrection... but to me, it just wasn't as strong as what we'd gotten with Harry.

So if I was gonna do a large scale Spider-Man shelf, having a Harry Osborn was a must. But rather than do the cliche "Here's a second Green Goblin figure, and I shall name it Harry" thing, I wanted to have a Harry that was visually distinct from his father. To accomplish that goal, I took the head from the original ML Green Goblin, and trimmed the ears down so they'd be more in line with the smaller ears used on Harry's mask. I then used a Scarlet Spider body to give him the same lean body type as Peter to distinguish him from the future Green Goblin figure that was inevitable as soon as Hobgoblin came out. The result is a Goblin figure that is distinctly Harry Osborn.