News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

FF1 Windows 8

Started by BentonGrey, July 22, 2014, 11:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, I'm trying to get FF1 playing properly on my nephew's laptop, and I'm running into a frustrating issue.  The game seems to launch properly after some fighting with the three different anti-virus programs some moron installed on it, but then the cutscenes don't all play properly.  I saved after the first mission, but was not given a 'next mission' button.  Loading that save I see a completely black screen with Minuteman and the UI overlay.  Clicking 'Mission Briefing' does nothing.  Any ideas what I can do?  I've tried running it in compatibility mode, and as always, that had no effect.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BentonGrey

Ba-bump.  Anyone else run into this?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

stumpy

Hey, BG. I may not be much help, because I don't have a Win8 machine to test things on. But, a couple thoughts:

1) This is general advice, but still possibly an issue with the game: Pick one antivirus program and uninstall all of the others. I don't mean get rid of tools that help find or diagnose things that may slip past an AV program's active protection. I am saying, only install one program that works in the background, scanning downloaded files, checking web pages, etc. Having more than one of those running at once can really slow down the PC and cause software issues as each AV program tries to any program (like FF) that you open and any file that program tries to access.

2) If the game seems to be hanging at a reproducible point, then make sure logging is enabled and post the logs. If a cut-scene is breaking, there is a decent chance that there will be a clue about it in the logs. (Some other notes on what sorts of details might help someone recognize the issue are mentioned on this older post on FFX.)
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg