News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Looking for game suggestions

Started by Uncle Yuan, August 30, 2014, 10:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Yuan

So, I'm current between computer games and looking for something new.  I'd prefer something with a strong story line and some freedom of choice in playing through things.  The several games I've played in the fairly recent past are things like Fallout, Elder Scrolls.  I just replayed the Mass Effect trilogy.  I'm not a huge FPS fan, although I've played the occasional one and really enjoyed Half Life 2 (despite the inability to have any impact on the story line).  I also really enjoy turn based 4x games.  I've played a ton of Civs III-V, Heroes of Might and Magic and Galactic Civ. I really don't need anything new, and available cheaply through Steam is always a plus.

Thoughts?
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

catwhowalksbyhimself

If you haven't already played the Batman: Arkham series, that's a must right there.

Endless Space is a great 4x game.  I've been replaying it and recent patches have apparently fixed the whole expansion fiasco, so it's now a great game again.  Does things a lot different, but worth playing.

The Banner Saga is a great story based tactical combat game you must try out.  It's base in a Norse inspired world populated by a mix of giants called Varl, humans, and the robot-like Dredge who are now invaded and destroying everything.  There's a lot of writing involved, making the non-combat portions play out a bit like choose your own adventures at time, but the writing is really, really good.  The combat system is different and requires a very different mindset from other games. which makes it fun.  Highly recommended.  That being said, there isn't a huge amount of choice there, although short term you decision do have consequences long term they lead down the same path.

Space Pirates and Zombies is another one.  It's an arcade style with a pretty decent storyline.  As the title suggests, you play space pirates who end up fighting an invasion of space zombies.  This is a lot less cheesy than it sounds.  Complete freedom of movement as you fly around from sector to sector and decide when you go for the missions that advance the plot and you get to outfit and build your ships.  There's also an RPG aspect as research in this game is just a skill system, but a good one which further customizes how your ships work and get outfitted.

Don't know if you like Diablo/Torchlight style action rpgs, but Drox Operative is an interesting twist on those who you get dropped into the middle of a 4x game.  You aren't running one of the empires though.  You're a neutral party with your own warship running around in the universe of a 4x game.  You can start or join in on wars, help empires expand, deal with the neutral monsters threatening them, or help destroy an empire that gets one your nerves.  Lots to do and you never know what's going to happen in your next sector.

All of these are available on Steam and all at a reasonable price.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

detourne_me

The Witcher and The Witcher 2.
They are some of the best games I've ever played, and there are usually many places that have sales on them.

The first one is pretty difficult to control, but it's story is much better than a lot of RPGs
The Witcher 2 just improves on everything.  They are quite a bit more mature than dragon age or elder scrolls games. Both in terms of language and nudity, and in terms of the kinds of decisions you need to make.

Uncle Yuan

Those all sound pretty good, and I'll look into all of them.

I've been hung up on Arkham City for ever.  Try as I might I just can't get into it.  I'm not sure why as I had a lot of fun with Arkham Asylum, and played through twice.  But City has yet to grab me

catwhowalksbyhimself

Do you like roguelikes or variations thereof?  I have several good recommendations from those.

Do you like puzzle games?  I know quite a few good ones with interesting mechanics.

murs47

Perhaps the latest X-COM game. It's heavy on choice. But, the story is a typical "save the planet from alien invasion" plot.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: murs47 on August 30, 2014, 07:55:24 PM
Perhaps the latest X-COM game. It's heavy on choice. But, the story is a typical "save the planet from alien invasion" plot.

It's a good thought. I have it and should get back to it, but I kind of petered out about 2/3 through.  I think it was the story didn't grab me.  That and having your experienced troops die is not just disappointing but also really hampers you in the late game.  Rookie troops are alien fodder.

Silver Shocker

I would have loved to given you a smorgasborg of recommendations, but your taste in games differ drastically from my own. I'm really not a fan of strategy games at all.
I will say that if you really liked Half Life 2 (and I can understand why - HL2 was a really good game) You might want to try Portal 1 and 2 if you haven't already. They're both 100% puzzle games set in first person rather than any kind of shooter, but they are made by Valve and they feature some of the sharpest and most effective writing I've seen in a game (focusing mostly on gloriously pitch-dark comedy) and some thoroughly excellent vocal performances that sell the characters and humor.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

Two of the games I recommended are now on sale on Steam.  SPAZ for 2 bucks and Banner Saga for 10.

Also, I've been playing Dust: An Elysian Tail and I can tell you it's a great hand drawn animated side scroller with a good story and good voice acting.  If you like Metrovania type games, it's worth playing and it's not terribly hard, so it's good for casual play.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Silver Shocker on September 09, 2014, 12:50:47 PM
I would have loved to given you a smorgasborg of recommendations, but your taste in games differ drastically from my own. I'm really not a fan of strategy games at all.
I will say that if you really liked Half Life 2 (and I can understand why - HL2 was a really good game) You might want to try Portal 1 and 2 if you haven't already. They're both 100% puzzle games set in first person rather than any kind of shooter, but they are made by Valve and they feature some of the sharpest and most effective writing I've seen in a game (focusing mostly on gloriously pitch-dark comedy) and some thoroughly excellent vocal performances that sell the characters and humor.

I'm a huge fan of the Portals, so I have those covered.  I also could do with a replay of the last mini for HL2 - I was never able to finish it, but I discovered a while back that my TV was running a little lag.  Now that I've fixed that I may have better luck.

I've been playing the first Witcher and am slowly getting into it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Have you tried Battle for Wesnoth?  A well put together tactical combat game with light rpg mechanics and a large number of campaigns many with some good stories.  Best of all, it's absolutely free.

Uncle Yuan

I did have that several years ago.  I got a decent start on it then lost track of it.  I'm not sure why I didn't go further with it - either it didn't grab me or something grabbed me more.  I should look it up again.