News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mods For Your Own Heroes?

Started by UltraSuperGuy, July 27, 2014, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UltraSuperGuy

Hey there. I know and have played mods like Customforce and Son of Customforce that allow you to play your own heroes in the regular campaigns. It seems to me that most mods revolve around using either DC or Marvel characters and don't really offer you much in the way of making and using your own.

I was just wondering what mods out there allow you to use a lot of your own heroes?

spydermann93

Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on July 27, 2014, 03:21:53 AM
Hey there. I know and have played mods like Customforce and Son of Customforce that allow you to play your own heroes in the regular campaigns. It seems to me that most mods revolve around using either DC or Marvel characters and don't really offer you much in the way of making and using your own.

I was just wondering what mods out there allow you to use a lot of your own heroes?

I do believe that there is a Free-Roaming mod called "Patriot City" or something like that where you take your custom hero and run through (you guessed it) Patriot City and stop crime and all that.  I forget where that's hosted, though.

Also, I'm guessing that you want the characters to be built-in and ready from the start, not just recruited as you play?  I just want to make sure that I understand the request.

Check Alex's Freedom Fortress for the Avatar "Battle Royal".  It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it is by far the most community inspired mod(s) yet.

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: spydermann93 on July 27, 2014, 04:57:15 AM
I do believe that there is a Free-Roaming mod called "Patriot City" or something like that where you take your custom hero and run through (you guessed it) Patriot City and stop crime and all that.  I forget where that's hosted, though.

Also, I'm guessing that you want the characters to be built-in and ready from the start, not just recruited as you play?  I just want to make sure that I understand the request.

Check Alex's Freedom Fortress for the Avatar "Battle Royal".  It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it is by far the most community inspired mod(s) yet.

Yep, played Patriot City, that's a good one. No, I'm not talking about characters that are built-in, the exact opposite, I like to make my own, so I'm looking for mods that allow you to put more of your own in rather than having to play the built-in ones.

DrMike2000

The Strangers lets you create your own customs and recruit them, just like the original Freedom Force did. Its almost identical in pattern - the first few missions snowball the team up and require built-ins, but after that you can start mixing your own people in, with the odd mission requiring one or two Strangers for story purposes. I can't remember if the secondary objectives dish out good Prestige for that or just bonus XP for the team? It was a while ago.

Your custom characters may even appear in cutscenes, standing around with the built-ins every now and then! That's how much I encouraged you to make your own team members.

www.fundamentzero.com/index_games.htm

Enough about me though. This one was I think a mod where you design your own custom hero and follow their solo career, which kind of inspired me to make Patriot City

Hero City (http://frp.unlimited2.net/ff1-mods/)
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: DrMike2000 on July 29, 2014, 12:44:55 PM
The Strangers lets you create your own customs and recruit them, just like the original Freedom Force did. Its almost identical in pattern - the first few missions snowball the team up and require built-ins, but after that you can start mixing your own people in, with the odd mission requiring one or two Strangers for story purposes. I can't remember if the secondary objectives dish out good Prestige for that or just bonus XP for the team? It was a while ago.

Your custom characters may even appear in cutscenes, standing around with the built-ins every now and then! That's how much I encouraged you to make your own team members.

www.fundamentzero.com/index_games.htm

Enough about me though. This one was I think a mod where you design your own custom hero and follow their solo career, which kind of inspired me to make Patriot City

Hero City (http://frp.unlimited2.net/ff1-mods/)

Thanks for the great mods, Dr. Mike! I've played Strangers and Patriot City too, those are both fantastic mods! I've been meaning to get around to play Tales of The Navigator, does that let you play your own characters as well? You know, my one complaint about Patriot City is you basically have to give your hero some kind of healing or regeneration attribute as there are no health canisters anywhere, I found that kind of limiting. Great mod, though.

detourne_me

I love that about patriot city! In my head I say "well, enough's enough for tonight. Gotta go home and prepare for tomorrow night. Then I hightail it to my apartment... After I level up my character enough, I can play for longer periods of time. It's pretty awesome going from a newbie like batman year one, to the dark knight rises level!

BentonGrey

Yeah, Dr. Mike is definitely the king of modding, the Kirby of our little community here. :D

Darn it, this is making me want to go back and play through the Strangers series... :)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: detourne_me on July 29, 2014, 08:17:00 PM
I love that about patriot city! In my head I say "well, enough's enough for tonight. Gotta go home and prepare for tomorrow night. Then I hightail it to my apartment... After I level up my character enough, I can play for longer periods of time. It's pretty awesome going from a newbie like batman year one, to the dark knight rises level!

At that point do you just up and quit to spend the rest of your days with Selena Kyle in Europe?  ;)

spydermann93

Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on July 30, 2014, 01:40:50 AM
At that point do you just up and quit to spend the rest of your days with Selena Kyle in Europe?  ;)

:lol:

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: spydermann93 on July 30, 2014, 01:46:51 AM
Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on July 30, 2014, 01:40:50 AM

:lol:

I remember watching that and thinking, "wow..... so Batman just.... quits. That's not very heroic."

spydermann93

Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on July 30, 2014, 01:53:47 AM
I remember watching that and thinking, "wow..... so Batman just.... quits. That's not very heroic."

That's Nolanman for you :P

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: spydermann93 on July 30, 2014, 02:00:31 AM

A complete misunderstanding of the character. Batman never quits. He's obsessed. He's also a hero and he's not going to do something selfish like quitting and living it up on margaritas. Oy.

DrMike2000

Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on July 29, 2014, 01:30:26 PM
Thanks for the great mods, Dr. Mike! I've played Strangers and Patriot City too, those are both fantastic mods! I've been meaning to get around to play Tales of The Navigator, does that let you play your own characters as well? You know, my one complaint about Patriot City is you basically have to give your hero some kind of healing or regeneration attribute as there are no health canisters anywhere, I found that kind of limiting. Great mod, though.

No worries. :)
I'm afraid that Tales of the Navigator didn't have room for custom characters. I don't think it even supported character progression, as most characters only appear in one or two levels at most. It featured three teams (The Challengers in 2007, N.Y.E.T. in the 1960s and the HIVE in the 30th Century) who each get a couple of missions, then a conclusion that draws them all together.  I can guarantee though that it has a few tricks in it that will blow your mind if you do play it.
Amazanauts doesn't directly support custom characters either, by the way, but since it actually happens in the Danger Room I'm pretty sure you could create your own Amazanaut and bring her along.

Good point about the health cannisters in Patriot City, by the way. I forget how brutal FF was with healing.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

detourne_me

Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on July 30, 2014, 02:40:16 AM

A complete misunderstanding of the character. Batman never quits. He's obsessed. He's also a hero and he's not going to do something selfish like quitting and living it up on margaritas. Oy.

Oops, I totally meant Dark Knight Returns!
Also, I need to play through the Strangers series again as well.

UltraSuperGuy

Quote from: detourne_me on July 30, 2014, 12:33:00 PM
Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on July 30, 2014, 02:40:16 AM

Oops, I totally meant Dark Knight Returns!
Also, I need to play through the Strangers series again as well.

Strangers is cool, and tough in some sections. I probably missed out on all the combo powers that happen between the characters because I liked using my own. It is weird to me that so few mods let you do that, I think making up your own heroes and progressing them is like THE point of the game for me. There are good mods out there, but man, I wish this game had the kind of mod community that Neverwinter Nights had. Holy Moly there was just a million mods to chose from in Neverwinter Nights, some of them just amazing.

spydermann93

Quote from: UltraSuperGuy on July 30, 2014, 03:58:15 PMHoly Moly there was just a million mods to chose from in Neverwinter Nights, some of them just amazing.

Sad fact is, this game is just not all too popular.  Most people I talk to have never heard of this game.

Suffice it to say, I am still very much impressed and very happy to be a part of this community (I'm not saying that you are not, by any means).  While small, it packs a punch.

It's the best at what it does, and what it does is very nice. :P

BentonGrey

Ha, yeah, it would be incredible if we had the resources that NWN had in its heyday, still, we've managed to get pretty much every comic or pop culture character made for the game, dozens of incredible mods, and the coolest thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that the geniuses (much smarter than me) who helped make all of the coolest stuff possible, also created ways for the average fan to tell their own stories with EZScript.

Let me encourage you to try telling some of your own stories and create a mod that has what you want (for FFvTTR).  It's challenging, but not nearly as hard as it used to be, thanks to folks like M25 and the FFX crew!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Red Fantom

that Patriot city mod sounds great,ALTHOUGH every time I try installing it,this is what I get: The file contains invalid data                                  Any help on that?                                                    (Should I place this as a topic for mods?I wonder.. :rolleyes:)