Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: Spiders, Goblins, and Devils, Oh My!  (Read 4489 times)

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
Spiders, Goblins, and Devils, Oh My!
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »
Note: I'll be adding to this post from time to time as I finish rough drafts of these herofiles.  Be sure to check back.

Alright gents, I'm moving into a new phase of the Marvel Adventures mod.  I'm working on a lot of the characters that I had sidelined before, and I can use your help!  I'd love it if y'all would share your clever and interesting builds with me for the following characters:

• Spider-Man
  • Daredevil
  • Abomination
  • Doc Ock
  • Electro
  • Green Goblin
  • The Leader
  • Mysterio
  • Scorpion
  • Venom
  • Vulture

Some specific questions:
How good should Spidey's and Daredevil's passive defenses be?  What all should they let pass through?

Should Electro have Metabolic?  I've found references to this online, but I've never seen it in the classic comics.  I'm not opposed to adapting stuff from outside of my reading if it adds to the character, but I don't want to put it in if it's an aberration. 

What FX do you use for Mysterio?

------------------------------------------------------------
Daredevil
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spider-Man
I need to create a custom attribute for Spidey, any suggestions?  I've also got one power slot left.  What else does he need?

What do y'all think?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:19:57 AM by BentonGrey »
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline trebean

• Jethawk
Re: Spiders, Goblins, and Devils, Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:10:09 AM »
I made my Daredevil supsceptible to energy attacks since that's the power type I often use for sound based attack and removed the always active flag from the passive defence, he can dodge stuff but he can't when he's disoriented or stunned or immobile or drugged, same with Spidey (I often really use that flag when the passive is set up to be like a tank and not a dodger)

I also added a flying melee for Spidey.

For Ock, mostly just AOE Melee attacks and attacks that flings the enemy over a great distance, I also gave him jumping attributes and at least 5 stats on Strength and Speed since I also added in his mechanical arms to the tally.

Mysterio, I use fog FX and the green velociraptor FX and some weak "Ghost", "Mysterio", and "Any Sinister Six Member/Spidey" summons.
I didn't really gave him offensive attacks other than causing rage to simulate confusion on who the enemy will fight.

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:28:34 AM »
For Spidey, I made a custom attribute that combined "Rope Swinger" (which I found was better than "Flier" for him), "Acrobatic" (he seems to always land on his feet :P), "Disciplined" (he rarely ever quits), and "FFActiveDefense 25" (web shield).  You could also give him "Web Slinger", but that's not typically an attribute that I use all too often.

For the passives, for Daredevil, I typically give him Occasional chance against Piercing, Crushing, and Energy attacks.  I sometimes add Heat and Cold to the list, but sometimes I don't.

For Spidey, I typically make a Frequent "Pass Through" passive against almost all ranged attacks (other than mental) since he can detect projectiles way before they actually reach him and he simply jumps out of the way.  I don't add melee to that list, most of the time, as he seems to get punched way more often than shot.  Besides, his agility usually allows him to dodge most melee attacks, even without a passive.  As most projectiles that I have are Fast or even Very Fast, the passive helps quite a bit.  It's very weird for me to see Spidey get tagged by bullets, energy blasts, and thrown objects.

I also never give my "dodge" characters passives against Area and Direct attacks, and usually, I have them specialize in either melee or range.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:36:22 AM by spydermann93 »

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
Both those hero files look perfect to me BG. Does Spidey have that bowing animation? Maybe it could be a small area enrage... Kind of like a quick quip or taunt.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:36:32 AM »
Thanks guys!  That was very helpful, and I had that flag checked on Daredevil by accident, so thanks for the catch, Tre!

Well, I'm feeling pretty good about Spidey, and somewhat so for Daredevil.  Let me post a few more.

Hero File: doctor octopus
I'm REALLY happy with Doc, though his survivability is still not quite what I'd like it to be.  I'm not sure what other tweaks to make, but I've got his arms replicated with invisible projectiles, much like a flying melee attack, and it works out REALLY well.  I'm probably going to redo Mr. Fantastic this way, in fact!

Hero File: green goblin
Here's the Goblin, arguably Spidey's most important villain.  I'm not thrilled with him yet.  I'm open to any suggestions.  His custom attribute has fast healing, air superiority, and acrobatic (amateur).

Hero File: lizard

And here's the Lizard.  He may be a bit too tough.  I need to do some more testing.

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:36:58 AM »
 Hero File: mysterio

I'm relatively happy with Mysterio.  He wouldn't be much of a threat on his own, but he'd play merry havoc with just about anybody as part of a team or with some minions.

Hero File: scorpion

I'm limited by Scorp's keys.  I'd like to do more with his tail, but I can't think of any other way to use these animations.

Hero File: vulture

I think Vulture is captured pretty well, but once again I'm limited by keys.  I'd love it if he had some better keys for a flying melee.  I may have to investigate Tommy's Vulture more thoroughly, though I just LOVE the way this one looks.

Hero File: venom

I can definitely use advice on Venom, as I really don't know the character super well.  My only exposure has been through the TV shows and movie.
God Bless

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 04:54:16 AM »
Well, for the Green Goblin, I would bump his strength up to 5.  From almost all of the sources that I've seen, from the Official Marvel Handbook to Marvel RPG stats, he's every bit as strong, if not stronger, than Spidey.

For Venom, I typically make him very much like Spider-Man in terms of melee and web powers.  Of course, Venom has his claws and tongue to use in combat, so perhaps you can have him use his tongue as a grapple and a piercing melee attack (perhaps "Poisonous Punches")?  The only real difference that I can see between him and Spidey is their AI.

Offline Cyber Burn

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »
Well, for the Green Goblin, I would bump his strength up to 5.  From almost all of the sources that I've seen, from the Official Marvel Handbook to Marvel RPG stats, he's every bit as strong, if not stronger, than Spidey.

For Venom, I typically make him very much like Spider-Man in terms of melee and web powers.  Of course, Venom has his claws and tongue to use in combat, so perhaps you can have him use his tongue as a grapple and a piercing melee attack (perhaps "Poisonous Punches")?  The only real difference that I can see between him and Spidey is their AI.

I hadn't thought about a "Poisonous Punch" for Venom, but that's an interesting concept, I was actually thinking about an attack that causes "Enraged" since I would assume that the Venom Symbiote could probably infect another person, in which case the victim could potentially lose control of their faculties, causing them to go after their teammates.

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »
You could make doc ock a flier to improve his survivability!

Offline trebean

• Jethawk
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 05:12:46 PM »
I'd put a check on Ocks Passive for always active, since I always remembered Alfred Molina's portrayal of him where the tentacles were actually "alive" and protected him subconsciously.
PLUS, it is called "SENTIENT" Tentacles, so yeah...
I'd also put a combination of Acrobatic and Jump Atrributes to add to that as well, since his tentacles always lands him perfectly and he sometimes travel by jumping up high with his tentacles.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 07:56:53 PM »
Thanks guys!  These were very helpful suggestions.

Here's another Spidey villain I'm working on:

Hero File: Rhino

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:59:10 PM by BentonGrey »
God Bless

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 04:36:49 PM »
Alright, I'm working on The Leader and the U-Foes.  How do y'all set them up so they'll be interesting, comic-faithful, and a challenge for the Hulk?
God Bless

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 04:52:47 PM »
Alright, I'm working on The Leader and the U-Foes.  How do y'all set them up so they'll be interesting, comic-faithful, and a challenge for the Hulk?

Well, for the Leader, you could give him all sorts of laser weapons (dealing damage that the hulk is not resistant to), shields (to block the hulk's attacks), robotic minions (why should the leader get his hands dirty when his robot goons can do it for him? :P), teleporting (to stay out of reach), and just about anything else scientific-like.  Oh, and don't forget about those manipulative mental powers!  Blank the Hulk's mind to make his bonuses go down, hypnotize him to attack his enemies, enrage him to make hulk more smashy, etc.

Lot's of manipulation and lots of high-tech gadgets to keep the Hulk out of reach.  We all know that once Hulk gets one hit on the poor Leader, the Leader's a goner :P

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
Ohh, those are some good ideas, Spyder!  Thanks man!  That gives me just the things I was missing, methinks.
God Bless

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »
On a side note, you could also give the Leader "Berzerker" as he has often times gotten so infuriated when his plans weren't working, he starting messing up.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »
Now, for the U-Foes:

Vector can keep the Hulk off of his feet via telekinesis.  He can also throw things from a distance and Hulk would have to close in on him.  I don't see him doing much else than just throwing Hulk around and tossing objects at him.

Vapor could be "Ghostly" seeing as she's immune to all physical attacks and she could have a high energy-cost "weaken" ability to simulate suffocation (that's the only way I see her harming the Hulk, though that would still be very overpowered).  Perhaps some high-damage direct attacks and some stunning area attacks would fit her nicely?

X-Ray would also be immune to physical damage via a "Pass Through" Active Defense as he isn't incorporeal all of the time.  He would also have both energy and radiation attacks (radiation won't do a thing to the Hulk, but it will give him some diversity against other heroes).

Ironclad is a tank with Density control, so he could have some Resistance Through Pain to simulate him amping up his density when sparring with enemies.  He could even have Mass Control should the ResistanceThroughPain thing be too much.

Thanks Spyder!  That is good, and pretty much in line with what I had found. 

Here's the question I'm left with...how can Hulk deal with foes like this?  He's got a pretty limited bag of tricks...pretty much all of them involving smashing of one degree or another, so how does he take on someone who is immune to smashing?  I'm thinking in terms of gameplay here.  I want to use the U-Foes as intermediate villains in a Hulk mission, but it seems like they'd be an absolute pain to fight.
God Bless

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 10:29:36 PM »
Now, for the U-Foes:

Vector can keep the Hulk off of his feet via telekinesis.  He can also throw things from a distance and Hulk would have to close in on him.  I don't see him doing much else than just throwing Hulk around and tossing objects at him.

Vapor could be "Ghostly" seeing as she's immune to all physical attacks and she could have a high energy-cost "weaken" ability to simulate suffocation (that's the only way I see her harming the Hulk, though that would still be very overpowered).  Perhaps some high-damage direct attacks and some stunning area attacks would fit her nicely?

X-Ray would also be immune to physical damage via a "Pass Through" Active Defense as he isn't incorporeal all of the time.  He would also have both energy and radiation attacks (radiation won't do a thing to the Hulk, but it will give him some diversity against other heroes).

Ironclad is a tank with Density control, so he could have some Resistance Through Pain to simulate him amping up his density when sparring with enemies.  He could even have Mass Control should the ResistanceThroughPain thing be too much.

Thanks Spyder!  That is good, and pretty much in line with what I had found. 

Here's the question I'm left with...how can Hulk deal with foes like this?  He's got a pretty limited bag of tricks...pretty much all of them involving smashing of one degree or another, so how does he take on someone who is immune to smashing?  I'm thinking in terms of gameplay here.  I want to use the U-Foes as intermediate villains in a Hulk mission, but it seems like they'd be an absolute pain to fight.

Well, I know that Hulk would be able to deal with Ironclad and Vector, but X-Ray and Vapor are usually real problems for him.

Instead of making Vapor and X-Ray immune to physical damage, perhaps you could make them highly resistant?  I don't think that there would be a need for invulnerability with them.  Vapor could be "Air" material (just make sure to give her Density Control because Air has a weight of zero) and X-Ray could be made into energy.  Both of those materials are resistant to physical damage, and solid skeleton could be added to them to make them highly resistant.  Since they both aren't very durable (aside form physical attacks), a low HP should offset their high resistance so that they aren't totally impossible to defeat.

Of course, making Vapor Air with Density Control could have problems, primarily her being completely immune to knockback, even while flying.  Perhaps energy would be a better material for her, but I'll let you decide on that one.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »
Well, I've tweaked a few things and done some testing, and I think it's okay, provided two things: First, Vapor isn't immune to Area attacks, which makes sense because she's so light and diffuse.  Even the wind from Hulk's Thunderclap can send her flying and disperse her molecules.  Second, I give Hulk a dinosaur jumping attack that allows him to hit fliers.  That makes sense, and it will make it a lot easier for him to deal with these pesky folks, even if it takes a while.  I've done a few matches with the U-Foes, and they make an interesting challenge.
God Bless

Offline Jimaras8

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 08:56:43 AM »
All these ideas reflect exactly my hero file. I agree on DD and Spidey passives, DD's radar is strong by he is weak to sound attacks that can neutralize him. Spidey can doge what flies and shoots but some of his enemies are as fast as him so he can be punched more easily that zapped. Benton may i suggest you use REN's Hulk mesh as i think it will perfectly suit your vision of the character?

Offline Jimaras8

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
Benton may i suggest some sort of blinding web power for Spidey? Something with high accuracy and medium duration that will prevent the enemy from using ranged attacks. Another suggestion is to give him an active web shield since there is already a nice fx that i don't think it will be used by any other hero. Spider-sense will dodge most ranged attacks but a web shield might be more effective for area attacks.

As for venom he can use some symbiote spikes as a piercing projectile for hitting multiple opponents. I think there is a said fx. Or as venom himself can generate web you can give him a web ball/bullet attack similar to spidey but maybe with less accuracy since Venom doesn't use it very often.

Offline ShortFuse

• Here comes the boom!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 11:18:21 PM »
Something tells me that you are going to add a Spider-Man campaign to the Marvel Adventures mod.  ;)  Can't wait. Nice builds on your villains. Tried several myself and they add a lot to what I already had.  Doc Oc has a nice fly animation and it does prolong his survivability as dm pointed out. I also noticed you didn't have a flyer attribute for Green Goblin?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:39:57 AM by ShortFuse »

Offline trebean

• Jethawk
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:43 AM »
Something tells me that you are going to add a Spider-Man campaign to the Marvel Adventures mod.  ;)  Can't wait. Nice builds on your villains. Tried several myself and they add a lot to what I already had.  Doc Oc has a nice fly animation and it does prolong his survivability as dm pointed out. I also noticed you didn't have a flyer attribute for Green Goblin?
Benton mentioned giving him a custom attribute that had air superiority which I think includes flyimg.

Offline ShortFuse

• Here comes the boom!
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »
Your right. I missed that.

Offline Skerdilajd Shehi

• Threats can be everywhere, but there's heroes too.
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 04:58:54 PM »
i can give try to show you what spider-man build would have been a good fit, this may be an bad idea, but i hope you like it mr. grey!

Spider-Man

And give him an area power that is allowing him to taunt in radius small.. And then you got very GOOD Spidey!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:02:56 PM by Skerdilajd Shehi »

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 03:05:30 AM »
That's a really nice build, Shehi!

I have a build very close to it! :lol:

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 04:33:25 AM »
Yes indeed Skerdilajd, that's pretty close to my Spidey as well.  Nice work.
God Bless

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 04:42:47 AM »
Ohh, quick question folks:

Should Shocker's attacks be normal or fast?
God Bless

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 04:52:29 AM »
Ohh, quick question folks:

Should Shocker's attacks be normal or fast?

I would think fast. He vibrates blast of air, so I would assume that they are going fairly fast.

He can make these blasts travel faster depending on how long he holds the buttons on his blaster gauntlets, so I guess that the blasts could range from Normal to Very Fast (if you're willing to go that far).

Offline Cyber Burn

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 04:56:02 AM »
Agreed, I would say that the Ranged attacks would go pretty fast, however, I would also think that his Melee attacks would still be at a normal speed.

Offline SickAlice

• Virtual prophet and aspiring beet farmer
  • bing cherry
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 07:18:47 AM »
Hero files aren't my thing so for how to go about I wouldn't know. Shockers blast's should fall just under Spider-man's speed (enough to tag him but slow enough for Spidey to just pass by them if he moves soon enough). They should also each consist of a series of hits (combo chain) that happen in rapid succession as opposed to each being a single blow.