News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

My first skin!

Started by Dogman, August 03, 2014, 12:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogman

This is something I've been working on. You can probably guess who it is.  :doh:

I'd like some critique on it so far. Also, I've been wondering, is it possible to take out that annoying shadow that's rendered by the
character editor? And is that in-game? I think its useless considering it doesn't really define any depth, it just gets in the way and is subtly jarring.

detourne_me

Is going to be ultimate wolverine? Nice

I'm not sure what you mean about the shadow though,  could you elaborate?

Tomato

Presumably he's referring to this:

You CAN get rid of it, but IMO it would be a mistake to do so. It has to do with the model's Emissive color (which you can modify in Material properties). However, bringing it all the way down, the model will not be affected by light in-game... it isn't a big deal in levels with normal lighting, but on nighttime levels you'll have a neon looking Wolverine running around.

My advice, if you can figure out how to modify it (it's not difficult if you've got nifskope) is to bring each piece down to 1/3 to 1/2 brightness (something like this). It will remove most of the annoying shadow effect, but not so much that the model won't look right in-game.

trebean

Is it just my phone, or is there a weird tint on the skin?
Anyway, pretty good IMO, but I'll wait for the full skin before I give it my full opinion

Dogman

Quote from: Tomato on August 03, 2014, 03:47:59 PM
Presumably he's referring to this:

You CAN get rid of it, but IMO it would be a mistake to do so. It has to do with the model's Emissive color (which you can modify in Material properties). However, bringing it all the way down, the model will not be affected by light in-game... it isn't a big deal in levels with normal lighting, but on nighttime levels you'll have a neon looking Wolverine running around.

My advice, if you can figure out how to modify it (it's not difficult if you've got nifskope) is to bring each piece down to 1/3 to 1/2 brightness (something like this). It will remove most of the annoying shadow effect, but not so much that the model won't look right in-game.

The game is so low poly that adding any type of light-source is going to highlight the fact that its low poly, at the same time its going to ruin the illusion of depth created by the 2d texture.
I think its really ugly. I think it would be different if the game were higher-poly and having normal maps/bumps that way the 2d texture would more-so reinforce the depth.

In my opinion, the whole point of texturing like this is to simulate light, because the game cannot render it itself. Its a bit redundant, what are your thoughts?

Quote from: trebean on August 03, 2014, 03:53:55 PM
Is it just my phone, or is there a weird tint on the skin?
Anyway, pretty good IMO, but I'll wait for the full skin before I give it my full opinion

As far as the tint goes, I like to experiment with palettes.

hoss20

One site that you definitely might want to check out is here: http://www.tommyboymeshes.freedomforceforever.com/

First off, it is a great source for meshes for anyone, let alone someone new to the community (welcome, by the way).

Tommyboy also created a Bumpmapping Tutorial for Freedom Force meshes/skins if you feel like checking that out. It's on the right hand side in the "Other" section.

daglob

Have you checked to see if the refl and glow textures are black? If not, this can provide some unwanted tints, shades, and effects. Or, you can use them to your advantage.... like the way I try to do Classic Fantastic Four boots and gloves.

Dogman

Still needs a lot of work, its got some placeholder stuff right now too, and I haven't started the back of the skin.

trebean

Nice, did you skin the face yourself? It's pretty neat. Come to think of it, is this entirely custom? I don't seem to recog ize any bases. Pretty Great IMO.

BentonGrey

Wow, that is looking really, really good.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Dogman on August 05, 2014, 06:22:26 PM

Still needs a lot of work, its got some placeholder stuff right now too, and I haven't started the back of the skin.

Dude this is awesome.

SickAlice