Star Wars Rebels

Started by Shogunn2517, August 05, 2014, 10:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Talavar on December 21, 2015, 03:39:29 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on December 21, 2015, 05:05:22 AM
They brought Darth Maul back?  How did they manage that after he was chopped in half?

Getting bisected at the waist and falling down a seemingly bottomless shaft isn't as hazardous as you'd think, I guess.  Which is why bringing him back in the EU, like Boba fett before him, was crappy.  Sometimes characters nerds think are cool are actually chumps.  Everyone just needs to deal with that.
Disney obviously didn't.
Well,if Palpatine survived,anybody can.(Yes,I know its not canon anymore)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Bobba Fett actually made at least a little sense.  We just saw him fall into the Sarlaac.  We saw Maul cut in freaking half!  Fett had the possibility of escape, since the Sarlaac's digestion was so slow, but Maul was pretty clearly dead dead dead.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Talavar

Boba Fett, Darth Maul, and now this outrage over Captain Phasma not getting to be kewl enough are all examples more of fan projection than any inherent worth in the characters themselves. 

Shogunn2517

Honestly, I didn't think it was all bad.  Yeah, it might have been a little wonky, but they made it make some sort of sense.  And yes, the stories they told from it were actually really good. 

Spoiler
That last fight with Darth Sidious was probably one of the best sequences of the entire series, IMO.

But I suppose no matter how we feel about it, apparently it's as much canon as Kylo Ren is.  It's hard for me to imagine Darth Maul not coming back as an Inquisitor or challenges the Rebels in some sort of way.  Bound to.

Podmark

Regardless of how silly it might be that Maul survived, the Maul storyline of season 5 was great and my favourite arc of the show. Totally justified his survival to me.
Also the spider legs were ridiculously awesome. Actually that alone might have justified Maul's survival.

I will be very disappointed and surprised if Maul doesn't appear down the line in Rebels.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on December 22, 2015, 04:24:36 AM
Honestly, I didn't think it was all bad.  Yeah, it might have been a little wonky, but they made it make some sort of sense.  And yes, the stories they told from it were actually really good. 

Spoiler
That last fight with Darth Sidious was probably one of the best sequences of the entire series, IMO.

But I suppose no matter how we feel about it, apparently it's as much canon as Kylo Ren is.  It's hard for me to imagine Darth Maul not coming back as an Inquisitor or challenges the Rebels in some sort of way.  Bound to.

There is no way, despite what Disney is currently saying, that the cartoons, comics and novels being put out are going to stand up to the films.  If the directors of Episode 8 or 9, or any of the forthcoming spin-off films want to have a scene where they all dance a jig on Darth Maul's grave, no one at Disney is going to stop them, saying: "oh no, Darth Maul totally survived.  We showed that in a cartoon a few years ago."  They will dance that jig, because the films are billion+ dollar money machines, and the ancillary stuff is relative chump change.  Really, we just have a new EU to replace the one Disney (rightly) jettisoned when they took over.  Any conflicts between EU stuff and the films will end the same way as before.

HarryTrotter

Rebels and new trilogy arent really in conflict since there is almost 50 years between them.
There is still money to be made on the Legends continuity,so I belive Disney will eventually return to it in some form.They just didnt want to experiment with two timelines this early,so they decided to start from almost zero.I didnt like it,but  I can understand why they did it.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on December 22, 2015, 05:53:15 AM
Rebels and new trilogy arent really in conflict since there is almost 50 years between them.

Not yet there isn't.  But next Christmas we're getting Rogue One, set in that same pre-Original Star Wars era as Rebels, and the folks at Disney/Lucasfilm have said all eras of Star Wars are fair game for further spin-off films.  Though I was referencing Clone Wars moreso, Rogue One could easily contradict stuff Rebels has done or is planning to do, and further spin-offs, like the rumoured Obi-wan solo film, Yoda origin story, Boba Fett film, or others down the road could conceivably reference the prequel era more directly.  So to believe Disney's current claim that everything being produced is equally 'canon' is silly.  I remember the same thing being said when the EU was created the first time around, and that certainly didn't hold true.

HarryTrotter

Ok,there are multiple rebel cells,so Rogue one doesnt have to intersect with Rebels.Anyway,I doubt any movie has plans for using Darth Maul,so I think hes safe.Point is,last we saw him,he was alive and still in charge of Death Watch,so the possibility of him returning exists.
Speaking of continuity glitches,either the crew of Ghost dies by the time of original trilogy,or Yoda didnt know about them.I guess its possible he was lying...
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Talavar on December 22, 2015, 05:25:51 AM

Spoiler

There is no way, despite what Disney is currently saying, that the cartoons, comics and novels being put out are going to stand up to the films.  If the directors of Episode 8 or 9, or any of the forthcoming spin-off films want to have a scene where they all dance a jig on Darth Maul's grave, no one at Disney is going to stop them, saying: "oh no, Darth Maul totally survived.  We showed that in a cartoon a few years ago."  They will dance that jig, because the films are billion+ dollar money machines, and the ancillary stuff is relative chump change.  Really, we just have a new EU to replace the one Disney (rightly) jettisoned when they took over.  Any conflicts between EU stuff and the films will end the same way as before.

Actually, it IS Disney that is saying that The Clone Wars and Rebels along with the films are what THEY termed the "immovable objects" of Star Wars history and stories.  That's the entire point of the Lucasfilm Story Group.  They have the final say over ALL stories INCLUDING the films and they've put them on the same level.

Moreover, I've been reading Star Wars media for decades and spoke with staff of Lucasarts to get a better idea of how continunity works.  I've never felt that the EU was on the same level as the films.  They've specifically stated that from the getgo in 91.  That was the thing with the EU, it weaved itself in storylines established by the films, not to change it or to make it, but to be background for fans to enjoy.  But it was never or was it meant to be official.  Definitely not given the sort of stamp that TCW and SWR have been given.

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on December 24, 2015, 05:58:29 AM
Quote from: Talavar on December 22, 2015, 05:25:51 AM

Spoiler

Actually, it IS Disney that is saying that The Clone Wars and Rebels along with the films are what THEY termed the "immovable objects" of Star Wars history and stories.  That's the entire point of the Lucasfilm Story Group.  They have the final say over ALL stories INCLUDING the films and they've put them on the same level.

Moreover, I've been reading Star Wars media for decades and spoke with staff of Lucasarts to get a better idea of how continunity works.  I've never felt that the EU was on the same level as the films.  They've specifically stated that from the getgo in 91.  That was the thing with the EU, it weaved itself in storylines established by the films, not to change it or to make it, but to be background for fans to enjoy.  But it was never or was it meant to be official.  Definitely not given the sort of stamp that TCW and SWR have been given.

Yes, I know.  I said - despite what Disney is currently saying.  They're currently saying everything published, animated, etc. is canon.  And when the EU first got launched, Lucasfilm said the same things.  They were totally supposed to be official, starting with the Heirs to the Empire Timothy Zahn trilogy.  But it didn't take long for things to start contradicting each other, and then the prequels came along and invalidated broad chunks of it.  The cartoons, and comics and new novels are being considered canon, and what I'm saying, is that that'll last until a movie wants to contradict one of them. 

HarryTrotter

m.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyxPDEvo9U
Mid-season trailer.It really has everything.
Spoiler
-Ancient Sith artifacts?
-Anakin
-Princess Leia
-Cross-guard lightsaber
-Frank Oz as Yoda(he really did lie to Luke?)
-Old Master(Who looks very,VERY familiar)
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Looks good! 
Spoiler
Now, Yoda might not be lying to Luke, if Ahsoka, Kanan and Ezra come to bad ends before then.

HarryTrotter

^In case you missed it,Ezra's new mentor(maybe?).Looks familiar,right?
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on January 17, 2016, 03:01:48 PM

^In case you missed it,Ezra's new mentor(maybe?).Looks familiar,right?

I saw that character in the trailer, but I'm not sure who it is.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on January 17, 2016, 04:08:55 PM
Darth Maul.

Really?  I guess I can see it, if you assume the colours are leeched out by the darkness.  That's too bad.

I've been binge watching the Clone Wars on Netflix, since I've been jazzed about Star Wars again, and Rebels seems to be bringing in more elements from it.  I'd watched the first season initially, and couldn't get into it.  I'm enjoying it more now -I think its later seasons have been better- but it definitely suffers in comparison to Rebels.  How it handles the jedi characters in general suffers greatly, in that it doesn't know how to challenge them 90% of the time without making them look like they suck.  Obi-wan gets captured in 3/4s of the episodes he's in, and constantly seems to be losing fistfights with bounty hunters -sometimes while armed with a lightsaber.  As bad as Attack of the Clones is, in it he kicked Jango Fett's butt up one side of a landing platform and down the other, most of it with his hands tied.  And there are a lot of other issues too.

Some spoilers for a show several years old follow...
Spoiler
I just got through the season where Ventress goes back to the Nightsisters, and Dooku has them attacked, and that whole section made me give my head a shake.  I know Star Wars has the force, but magic?  The nightsisters variously supercharge Savage Oppress (a hilariously terrible name, for a hilariously terrible character.  He gets a week of sith training and then can seemingly take on all comers), make an enchanted polearm, try to kill Dooku with sympathetic magic/voodoo, raise an army of the dead, make an enchanted amulet, make invisibility potions, make bionic legs, and teleport.  If this is supposed to be a variant on using the Force, than it makes the jedi and sith look like a bag of crap.  All they can do is some light clairvoyance, telepathy and telekinesis, with a bit of electricity manipulation for the high end sith.  And if it's not, and their magic is a separate thing, it doesn't belong in the setting at all.  The writers of that whole section need to go sit in a corner and think about what they did.

And then they go and bring Darth Maul back, and it's even worse than I thought.  So Savage Oppress finds him, and he's alive with no real explanation of how, sporting a fancy spider robot lower torso.  Disregarding the lightsaber damage of getting cut in half (a major thing to disregard; if this didn't kill him, how did that little poke do in Qui-gonn?), the guy fell so far that the bottom was out of sight.  But he sees surviving both of those fatal conditions one better, and survives for years lacking genitals, most of his digestive system, and all waste excreting organs.  Forget shields or body armour - everyone should just hide behind Darth Maul, as he is clearly unkillable!

Bringing Darth Maul back really is a narrative crime, for a few reasons:

First, they murder rational thought to bring him back, then what do they do with him?  Make him largely useless.  He tries to kill Obi-wan, and fails, tries to become a pirate king, and fails - getting his leg shot off and his brother's arm lopped off in one of Obi-wan's rare displays of competence.  That's as far as I've seen; maybe he'll come back and waste more screen time. 

Second however, is that it undercuts Darth Vader, an actual good character.  Vader has a semi-tragic backstory, where he was horribly disfigured by his former master, and needs a cybernetic suit to survive.  Well, Darth Maul has that beat.  Obi-wan cut him in half and dropped him to his death, and now he's got bionic legs (forgetting the bionic catheter and colostomy bag he should also need).  It's a stupid example of one upmanship. 

Third is related: it makes Obi-wan look like an idiot.  Obi-wan cut this guy in half and dropped him down a bottomless pit, and he came back. Knowing that a sith could survive this, there is no way that he leaves Darth Vader for dead "only" having cut his arm and legs off and smoldering near lava.  He has to know that of course he'll shrug that off. 

Force Awakens spoiler: 
Spoiler
Seriously, up until Starkiller Base explodes, Han's death in Force Awakens is slightly more survivable than Darth Maul's injuries.  They both fall down bottomless pits, but Han only got stabbed with a lightsaber, not, again, cut in two at the waist.

Now, I'm no fan of Boba Fett surviving the Sarlaac pit, but this is so much worse.  Fett only flew into a solid object head first, then fell into a monstrous eating machine.  His survival doesn't damage the rest of the narrative (except in a broader sense, in that they won't let anyone "kewl" die).  Maul coming back cheapens every death in the series, and damages two of the cornerstone characters of Star Wars. 

Now I can't wait until... (Force Awakens spoiler again)
Spoiler
the new EU brings back Han, and the internet's new favourite, the stun-baton stormtrooper.  Han will need some loopholes to jump through, but the stun-trooper guy only got shot!

This has all been pretty down on the show, but there are good parts too.  Giving the clones some character, Ahsoka generally, making Anakin less of a whiny jerk, but I needed to vent.

HarryTrotter

Zabrak anatomy works differently?Well,if the creators want somebody back,he will be back.
-Witches-Actually that was an attempt to restore some magic to the Force after the whole midi-chlorians thing in the prequels.Also the Father/Son/Daughter episodes and Yodas journey later.Which also answers why Qui-Gon isnt among the ghosts at the end of RoJ.
-Clone wars start not-so-great but they get better.First 2 seasons are out of order and sometimes run on idiot plots.Sure Ahsoke,chase after the thief dont use the force to pull your lightsaber back.Or Obi-Wan,Anakin and Count Dooku getting captured by pirates?Surely,they are powerful Force users and can escape in 5 seconds?And Palpatine sends Jar Jar Binks with  the ransom.I'm really starting to believe they were working together.
-In general episodes focusing on the WAR and the villains were better then just Anakin and Obi-Wan running around,or the Senate discussions.Those are pretty much similar to the prequels.
-IDK if it was never planned to happen or the show got canceled,but there are a lot of missed opportunities there.
-Savage Opress gets introduced,then becomes a muscle for his brother,then he dies.
-Unlike other villain Count Dooku never gets any development.Why is he a political idealist?And his plans to depose his master(obviously wouldn't happen) never goes anywhere
-Grievous complaining that he needs better soldiers then droids?Also quickly forgotten.Separatist did have their own cloning program in Republic comic,but Im not sure that's canon to CW.
-Mandalorians were pretty much just a take that at Karen Traviss.Making them a race of (all human,btw) pacifists wasn't a great solution.It would have been cool to see Mandalorian Protectors,just saying.
Back to the Rebels,season 1 was a bit shaky,but it got a lot better in season 2.And it promises to be even better if the trailer is anything to go by.
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Not sure if anyone watched the last two episodes, but the subject matter is picking up a bit.

Last week, they introduced their second OT character(seen in the trailer), Leia Organa. The actress playing her did a terrific job IMO.  Ezra's character is becoming more serious and acting less "kiddy".  This week's episode brought back the Mandalorians and told us more about Sabine's past.  Overall the show is getting better. The pacing is much better and from the trailer is gonna get more darker.  I do have to say, it looks like there's going to be more Jedi-related material to be featured, which I'd rather not see.  If I wanted to watch Jedi, I'd watch the Clone Wars.  I mean, it looks interesting and I'll watch it but I think the focus should be "rebellion vs empire" and not "legacy of the Jedi", especially since they're trying to convince us that the galaxy is rather forgetting about them or thinking they're myths and such.

In regard to what you guys are saying about Maul and the Clone Wars, first of all I don't have as much of a problem with it, but secondly, not sure if you knew it but the Clone Wars was ended prematurely.  They had other episodes planned that showed Darth Maul's fate, which was left fairly unresolved.  But maybe he comes back in Rebels.  Again it's a little frustrating because now it seems they've stop making Star Wars Rebels and started Star Wars: The Force Awakens the series.

HarryTrotter

Yes,it was nice seeing Mandalorian  Protectors.Good episode,but the resolution fealt a bit rushed.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on January 30, 2016, 04:00:32 AM
Not sure if anyone watched the last two episodes, but the subject matter is picking up a bit.

Last week, they introduced their second OT character(seen in the trailer), Leia Organa. The actress playing her did a terrific job IMO.  Ezra's character is becoming more serious and acting less "kiddy".  This week's episode brought back the Mandalorians and told us more about Sabine's past.  Overall the show is getting better. The pacing is much better and from the trailer is gonna get more darker.  I do have to say, it looks like there's going to be more Jedi-related material to be featured, which I'd rather not see.  If I wanted to watch Jedi, I'd watch the Clone Wars.  I mean, it looks interesting and I'll watch it but I think the focus should be "rebellion vs empire" and not "legacy of the Jedi", especially since they're trying to convince us that the galaxy is rather forgetting about them or thinking they're myths and such.

In regard to what you guys are saying about Maul and the Clone Wars, first of all I don't have as much of a problem with it, but secondly, not sure if you knew it but the Clone Wars was ended prematurely.  They had other episodes planned that showed Darth Maul's fate, which was left fairly unresolved.  But maybe he comes back in Rebels.  Again it's a little frustrating because now it seems they've stop making Star Wars Rebels and started Star Wars: The Force Awakens the series.

I actually really like how they handle the jedi on Rebels.  While Clone Wars dealt with them almost exclusively, they also wrote them terribly 2/3rds of the time.  Rebels has been much better, and more consistent with the films, in that regard.

Shogunn2517

It's not that I mind how they're handling Jedi in SWR.  It's just I'm looking at SWR to be more of a show about the Empire vs the Rebellion.  Not that I'm saying the Jedi shouldn't be in it, it just seems they're pulling an awful lot of Jedi-focused stories.

HarryTrotter

This episode was reminiscent of Pitch Black.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

It was also similar to a really good episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, only with Sisko and Gul Dukat in place of Zeb and Kallus.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

What happened to Geonosis was actually partially explained in Marvels Darth Vader.Actually,good job at tieing everything in.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

This was a really good episode.  Nice to see Agent Callas being given some depth-up to this point, he's been pretty stock villainous.  Also, can I get some spoilers: what happened to Geonosis?

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Talavar on March 01, 2016, 08:14:44 PM
This was a really good episode.  Nice to see Agent Callas being given some depth-up to this point, he's been pretty stock villainous.  Also, can I get some spoilers: what happened to Geonosis?

Lol, I was going to ask the same thing. I skimmed through the two trades but didn't see anything on Geonosis.

HarryTrotter

The planet was sterilized by the Empire.I assume it has something to do with Death Star plans.
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

This was an interesting episode. 

Spoiler
Yoda, Anakin Skywalker, Darth Vader and the Grand Inquisitor are all in this episode.  Though only one of which are actually real.  I suppose we learn a little history of the Grand Inquisitor, that he was a Temple Guard... or so it seems.  We learn (more) about Ezra's connection to the Dark Side.  Though the entire episode seems to be a set up for the next episode on March 16th, which seems to be far more focused Ezra and the Dark Side.

And again what looks to be the return of Darth Maul....

HarryTrotter

Spoiler
So Ahsoka has meet with Anakin after the end of TCW.Sometimes just before RotS.
Im interested to see how this plays out.
https://twitter.com/LLAPSherlock38/status/705276928148840448
A teaser for the finale.Recorded.
Spoiler
And Malachor?Malachor V maybe?
Jon Farmer