Started by Shogunn2517, August 05, 2014, 10:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Spade on March 03, 2016, 09:24:17 AM
Spoiler
And Malachor?Malachor V maybe?

Yes, I think that would be it.

Spoiler
It was mentioned in TCW so it make sense that we'll see Malachor V in SWR.  Again, it begs the question of what they're doing with continuity.  When parts of what is "Legends" is introduced, it doesn't validate the entire source, but only that piece.  So while Malachor V has been mentioned and will likely be seen, how much of Knights of the Old Republic will also be introduced?  Revan?  Bastila Shan?  Darth Malak?  The Jedi Civil War?  I'm curious to know what else from "Legends" will be made into official Canon?

Silver Shocker

It's worth noting that TCW and Rebels showrunner Dave Filoni has said that he had Darth Bane appear in the final arc of Clone Wars specially so he'd still be canon in the new Disney continuity. Darth Bane and Darth Raven from the Kotor games were originally going to cameo in the final episode of the Mortis trilogy (they even had character models made) but George Lucas vetoed it because it didn't fit with his at-the-time position on how Force Ghosts worked. So it's entirely possible that KOTOR is going to get some lip service here.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Spoiler
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/24/darth-maul-returns-star-wars-rebels?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter
Teaser for the finale.Its Darth Maul. ;)
Looks like he drifted for a bit after TCW and found his way to Malachor.And he adopted an attitude similar to Kreia,it seems.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Just saw the Season 2 Finale and, I gotta say, that was some gripping TV.

Anyone following this thread knows I'm a little weary of the "Jedi-focus" of Star Wars "Rebels".  While it make sense in TCW, I would have rathered Rebels be focused on the Empire vs the Rebellion.  I understand the inclusion, but didn't think it should be a focus.

Spoiler
That said, with this Episode, i didn't mind it at all.  It felt completely in the vein of the original trilogy.  You could see the parallels with Ezra/Maul relationship in comparison to Luke/Yoda and I think that was purposely done.  So apparently the Inquisitorus had been looking for Maul.  I know there was more story not released after he was captured by Darth Sidious at the end of TCW.  There was the introduction of a another Inquisitor(Eight Brother) and he, Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother were all killed, which means next season they'll need more Inquisitors, which was suggested.  The awaited confrontation of with Ahsoka and Darth Vader was pretty climatic.  I dunno.  Maybe it was because it was pretty riveting or my eyes were little weary from watching very intently or maybe it was seeing Darth Vader in an pretty epic lightsaber battle for the first time in over 30 years, I think my eyes got a little watery.  It was a pretty awesome scene.  Hearing James Earl Jones and his voice was a treat.  I would love to know more about the battle at the Sith Temple.  A battle with Temple Guards?  Also would like to think the inclusion of the Kylo Ren style saber isn't just a cameo.  It also looks like Kanan Jarrus will be blind indefinitely, which is a different path for the character.  The story's going to get a bit more interesting.  I imagine more involvement with Vader in S3 and Darth Maul now a known presence in the galaxy.

In all, season 2 had some interesting character development.  The introduction and re-entry of other characters(Rex, Maul, Cham Syndulla, Hondo, etc).  Also some re-entries.  It was a good move forward for the story.  The pacing of season one seemed to be dumbed down and disjointed at times, but season 2 I think picked up had a lot of Empire vs Rebellion and Jedi vs Sith storylines.  All not breaking of where the story was going or the breath what is the Original Trilogy of Star Wars.

Already looking forward to Season 3!

HarryTrotter

Im a bit confused as to how spinning your lightsaber allows you to fly helicopter style...
Spoiler
There was a lot of deaths.Buffy and the rest of the inquisitors,Ahsoka it seems...
Funny that Maul survives another endless fall.Practice,I guess...
I couldnt predict Kanan would be blinded.
Was that Kreias voice on the holocron?
Anyway,great episode,cant wait for season 3.  :thumbup:
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quite enjoyed it, just like you guys I can't wait for season 3. I want a trailer and I want it soon.

Gotta love the irony that the show got better after they ditched Greg Weisman.

Spade, in response to your post:

Spoiler

If it worked for Dinobot from Beast Wars, Tails from Sonic, Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong Country and Squirtle from Pokemon, why not Star Wars?

The holocron voice (credited as the "Presence") was provided by Nika Futterman, the voice of Assaj Ventress.

Dave Filoni, the showrunner for S2 and Clone Wars, did a really good Q&A on IGN after the finale aired, and addressed a few things:

1. He's playing it coy if Ahsoka survived, implying that the figure we right before the fade out might be something or someone else than we thought. I don't know how many people would doubt it was Ahsoka if he hadn't said that. I personally think there's a really good chance he be trollin'.

2. He said he used Futterman as the voice because, like Georgey Boy, he likes to play up the similarities in some things, citing the Son from the Mortis trilogy of Clone Wars and Darth Maul, since they both were voiced by Sam Witwer. He pretty much straight up said, no, it's not Assaj, it has nothing to do with her. HE did say it was an Sith Master, and that he has a name for her, but is waiting to see "how people feel about it" or something to the sort. It's possible he meant for it to be Kreia, since he's shown an interest in including and even preserving the original EU in the past.

3. Filoni specifically says that Ahsoka's meeting with Maul, which never occurred in the Clone Wars show, is one of the untold "Legacy" scripts they didn't get to do in CW. Not only did he make sure to establish it as canon here, he made a point of describing the events of what really happened to voice actors Ashley Eckstein and Sam Witwer (noting that Witwer, being  passionate about the series, would especially be into it) to fuel their performances. Filoni implied that a few familiar characters from Clone Wars went with Ahsoka to track down Maul and probably died (so business as usual in these shows  ;) ). He makes a point of saying that Ahsoka was corresponding with Obiwan and Anakin to find Maul and that they had gone to rescue chancellor Palpatine from the Separatists at the time (the opening of Revenge of the Sith) so we have a bit of timeline of where both her and Maul were during Sith. Oddly, season 6 of CW brought it closer and closer to Sith with a number of plots and more focus on Palpy, making it seem like Sith was right around the corner.

4. Filoni also played it coy on how many Inquisitors there are, bluntly saying there's as many as they end up wanting to use in the show. He even posited that there might be more than seventh sister, and that one Inquistor can take over the number from another, similar to the Espada from Bleach. [that part's my addition]

As for my thoughts on the show? The thing I really take from it that, like Force Awakens, it really makes you want to see more; to see where these characters are going. Kanan's blindness, Ezra's seduction to the dark side, Maul escaping. The only door they really closed is the Inquisitors they killed off.

The battle station that they found and had to stop from activating reminded me a lot of the aliens' devices from Beast Wars. Considering the lightsaber helicopter, kinda makes you wonder?

The thing I really liked about the episode? Maul himself. I liked how he had an almost Yoda-esque persona he adopted while guiding Ezra (the Lightsaber cane was a nice touch), then dropped the act later on and brought back the more sinister take from Clone Wars.  Between the end of CW and this I was dying to know how the heck they were going to clear up Maul's status quo for his appearance here. Turns out they cleared it up in a handful of vague, but very pointed and bitter lines. I also enjoyed seeing how Maul looks in the new art style, for me that's part of the appeal of seeing an old character brought into Rebels.

I'm enjoying how they're handling Vader and Ahsoka. I've been wondering since the end of season 1 if they were going to channel the Clone Wars version of Anakin and they did, but in clever ways. The hologram, the part where she hears Mant Lanter's voice, the small part of his mask broken open. I'd been wondering if an unmasked Vader in Rebels would even be recognizable as Anakin but they had a nice take on it that made it clear he was familiar to her. And of course there's the parallels to Vader and Luke in Return of the Jedi, with Anakin Skywalker being "no more". The problem, or potential problem at least, is the same as in Clone Wars. We already know the fate of this character (Vader). The curiosity is more Ahsoka's fate and how the actual scene(s) would go down.

Shogunn:...

Spoiler
The comic miniseries Darth Maul: Shadow of Dathomir showed that Palpy's plans for Darth Maul were to lure out the leader of the Nightsisters, Mother Talzin, so Count Dooku could kill her. Right after the Deathwatch clan pulled him back into their ship and they took off, and Palpy says they've "erased all trace of Maul".  It seems that Maul later went into hiding and Palpy wanted to track him down again, either to use him again or finish the job.

So regarding the crossguard-blade lightsaber....I've actually been wondering if S3 of Rebels will try to try in more to the new movies....as much as they can with the decades of time between them. I just looked up that kind of lightsaber on Wookiepedia and apparently they were established, in a Force Awakens handbook that came out in December, as being ancient and present at the "Scourge of Malachor".  Kinda wish either Ezra or Kanaan kept it.

Regarding Malachor:

Spoiler
They never make it clear if it's the real Malachor V (which blew up at the end of Kotor 2), or just a planet in the Malachor system, no doubt to have their cake and eat it too and not urine off EU/Kotor fans (As I understand it, KOTOR and even the Old Republic are non canon, but it might be an especially sore point considering the MMO's still being updated, so maybe they want to avoid calling attention to that). It certainly fits a similar profile. Given comments from Kreia in KOTOR II about how it "corrupts all life and feeds all death", it certainly makes you wonder if they might do more with the concept. Sith Ahsoka version 2.0? Zombie Inquistors? Kreia confirmed for Smash Bros?
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Just noticed that Eight Brother will also be Gaelio in Gundam IBO.
Spoiler
So dying in season finale is a thing for him now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-bJu__WXmY
Spoiler
Mauls old man act isnt completely an act.He knows hes old,and this is his final push.This is his attempt at leaving his own legacy in the universe.
Season 3 will bring more familiar elements.Some people theorized that Grand Admiral Thrawn might be the seasons big bad.Which sounds very possible now.
To quote Axel Alonso---Im Super Excited for season 3.  :)
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Spoiler
[watches video] Interesting about Maul. I like that they mentioned what species the Eighth Brother was.
Given the bit Filoni says at the end, yeah, it could be Thrawn, that would be pretty cool.
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

That was a really interesting video.  It highlighted why season 2 was much of an improvement over season 1.  It expanded the galaxy.  On season 1,  all episodes seemed to end back on Lothal.  In season 2, we see several new locations with each character getting their stories expanded, even the villains. 

Shogunn2517

Btw... some thoughts...

Spoiler
They specifically gave a race to Eight Brother as a Terrell an Jango Jumper.  I now can't believe that is a coincidence or his "death" coming the way it did.  I mean if they said Eight Brother was a Bothan or a Doro or Caamasi and not a species specifically known for acrobatics they I'd believe his demise was final.

Moreover, I really liked how he also specifically point out that Season 3 will pull more from the Original Trilogy AND (again specifically mentioning) Rogue One.  Which I believe we're at maybe 3 years BBY?  With Rogue one due out later this year, I think theres a high chance we get introduced to characters and materal from the film during the early part of Season 3, which be airing before and after R1's release.

Exciting!

Talavar

I just saw the two-part finale and really enjoyed it, as a whole.  Specific thoughts follow:
Spoiler
Oh, how I wish they'd had another character to use than Darth Maul, because I really liked what they did here.  Mirroring Yoda's intro in Empire Strikes Back, but in a sinister way was very effective, but it's still partially tainted for me because Maul's resurrection in the first place was such a narrative mistake.  The lightsaber helicopters were painfully dumb, but then, I've never really liked the mechanized whirling lightsabers anyway.  With the apparent deaths of three inquisitors, maybe we won't see them anymore.  It's a shame that Seventh Sister is one of the two most assuredly dead, since she was the most interesting of them.

Kanaan's blinding was a little shocking for a kid's show.  I'm curious how they'll deal with it going forward.  On one hand, I'd like to see that dealt with over a period of adjustment, but on the other, I find it hard to believe he couldn't get some bionic eyes in the Star Wars setting.

Seeing Vader in action here was awesome.  It really brought back that relentless, fearsome opponent of Star Wars and Empire.  Ahsoka's fate is left open ended, but as much as I've come to like her as a character, I think she needs to go.  All these jedi and other force wielders running around undercut the original movies greatly, and as the show progresses, they need to start getting weeded out.

Podmark

Really enjoyed the finale!

Spoiler

Darth Maul was great, loved him acting as an evil Yoda. I hope next season they keep pushing the Ezra and the dark side plot line. An arc like that should help make Ezra more interesting. Really glad Maul is still around, he's been a highlight of Clone Wars and Rebels.

I could have sworn I saw Ahsoka walking out of the ruins at the end. I really hope she survived. Her confrontation with Vader was decent but I want something a little more for her ending.

I was disappointed the Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother both died. Just seems a little too clean, especially if the Eight is also dead, and I think there was some more potential to these characters. Who are they? How did they become Inquisitors? I'm sure we'll see more Inquisitors in the future though, and hopefully some answers.

I loved what happened to Kanaan. I'm a fan of when shows don't just stick to the status quo, and having Kanaan deal with being blind, even if he gets healed or gets replacements eventually should be worth a some good story or two.

I thought the super weapon temple was a bit lame. It didn't really go anywhere and it didn't add much to the stakes of the episode for me. Felt like they wanted the finale to feel bigger but didn't have the time to put anything real into it.

If those Thrawn rumors turn out to be true I'm going to be so excited. Thrawn is one of my all-time favourite EU characters.

Looking forward to season 3.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

HarryTrotter

https://youtu.be/xmXp802sFgQ
SEASON 3 TRAILER!  :)
New haircut,more Maul,Wedge Antilles AND
Spoiler
Grand Admiral Thrawn.
A lot of people did guess that one.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

A lot of information about the third season, including a screening of the hour-long premiere, has come of the Star Wars celebration in England this weekend. 
Spoiler
They seem to be really moving with Ezra & the dark side.  Which is a fine storyline in and of itself, but at this point, I really feel like jedi are more trouble than they're worth.  When the fall to the darkside rate feels like its 50%, maybe the galaxy would be better off if no one learned to use the force?

HarryTrotter

Thats a bit of the larger universe discussion-I don't think The Force was the problem,more that both the Jedi and the Sith take it to the extremes.Something so complicated cant be just black and white,yet its either getting rid of all emotions or being a psycho.Neither of those really sound like reasonable approaches.Thats just my theory.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on July 17, 2016, 12:50:18 PM
Thats a bit of the larger universe discussion-I don't think The Force was the problem,more that both the Jedi and the Sith take it to the extremes.Something so complicated cant be just black and white,yet its either getting rid of all emotions or being a psycho.Neither of those really sound like reasonable approaches.Thats just my theory.

Yeah, it is a larger universe issue, not specific to Rebels, but they seem to be going down a well-trod path. 
Spoiler
I've always felt that having 2 (or more) jedi characters is problematic on this show, considering how close it is to the original trilogy era. 

Dealing with Star Wars, I think you have to address its morality on its own terms, and can't import more reasonable moral values to it.  Canonically, in-universe, there is no evidence that the jedi are wrong.  Sure, they lose, but that's because one of their number does exactly what they say jedi must not do, and falls to the dark side.  They're also complacent and arrogant, but a thousand generations of things largely working your way can cause that.  Now we've got Ezra going to the dark side potentially in Rebels, Kylo Ren going to the dark side in Force Awakens, and who/whatever Snoke is.  Teaching people to use the force since the Fall of the Republic is starting to seem like a bad idea at this point.

HarryTrotter

Well,it wasn't pointless in the original canon,the reboot pretty much invalidated everything heroes did anyway,but I assume because there will probably be a New Jedi Order in Star Wars episode 13 or so.Everything Disney did goes along a way-trod path.
Like,for example
Spoiler
,Thrawn chasing people over a Sith holocron?Straight outta SW: Empire at War games.Also,book "Thrawn" by Timothy Zahn is coming.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on July 17, 2016, 03:02:02 PM
Well,it wasn't pointless in the original canon,the reboot pretty much invalidated everything heroes did anyway,but I assume because there will probably be a New Jedi Order in Star Wars episode 13 or so.Everything Disney did goes along a way-trod path.
Like,for example
Spoiler
,Thrawn chasing people over a Sith holocron?Straight outta SW: Empire at War games.Also,book "Thrawn" by Timothy Zahn is coming.

But even in the old EU, how many of Luke's students went evil?  Half?  It feels like half.

BentonGrey

No, no, pre Yuzhon Vong (sp?), only, like two, maybe, out of dozens and dozens.  There's the insufferable Kyp Durron; was there anyone else?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Talavar

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 17, 2016, 06:45:43 PM
No, no, pre Yuzhon Vong (sp?), only, like two, maybe, out of dozens and dozens.  There's the insufferable Kyp Durron; was there anyone else?

A quick perusal of Wookiepedia gave me Brakiss, Kueller, and Dal Konur as well, whoever any of them are.  I personally bailed on the EU in the relatively early days.  My previous post was (half)joking; but it does seem like the 'fall into evil' rate for jedi, especially in the old EU, was exceedingly high.  Given the consequences, you have to wonder if having good jedi are worth all the bad ones/sith that crop up.

HarryTrotter

To get back on topic,Ezra is pretty much Skywalker-lite,so no suprise that he gets a similar story.
Does anyone else think Kanans mask looks a bit goofy?
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on July 18, 2016, 04:32:56 AM
To get back on topic,Ezra is pretty much Skywalker-lite,so no suprise that he gets a similar story.
Does anyone else think Kanans mask looks a bit goofy?

A little.  I'm torn on the subject...
Spoiler
on one hand, I'm glad they aren't trivializing his blinding injury, but I also feel like the technology of Star Wars should easily be able to hook him up with some bionic eyes or something.

HarryTrotter

Its been a few months,so no spoiler-IIRC he didnt lose his eyes,he suffered burns,so they cant just replace his eyes with bionic ones.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

First episode was promising.We didnt see all that much from Thrawn,but okay,there is time.And Im sure Doctor Who fans will find this episode interesting.  :)
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So far season 3 has been on par with season 2, as in some episodes are great (Darth Maul) others meh. The Ryloth episode was an interesting example. The main Ryloth plot was just alright but Thrawn's appearance in it was fantastic! I only read the first of the Thrawn novels but even I can tell they're doing a great job nailing his character.
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

It's funny, I haven't read Thrawn's character in 20 years, but from what I remember of him, they got him true.

Spoiler
Was also really nice to see Wedge and Hobbie as well.

HarryTrotter

These past few episodes have been kinda fillerific.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yep. Just like last season of Rebels, I've come to accept that, especially for the middle chunk of a season. Last year it was stuff like the space whales, this year it's smuggling/heist stuff with Hondo and fighter pilots and the like. Next episode is, I guessing, an Agent Kalus episode, based on the vague description I read. The one after that will about Darth Maul's/Ezra's vision, so I imagine that will be quite a big better.
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

I gotta imagine that sometime over the next two weeks there would be some crossover material from Rogue One...  Perhaps character types or planets or something that's seen in Rebels or seen in Rogue One that will be in Rebels.

Or at least I'd assume.  Could be wrong.

HarryTrotter

Maybe a nod,like the crossguard lightsaber last time.
Jon Farmer