News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Hey there I have a question

Started by Vertex, September 09, 2014, 06:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vertex

I know it's been ages since I've posted anything here guys and I've got a question for anybody with any meshing technical know how. Biggest reason I haven't meshed anything in AGES is because of the plugins for freedom force being so old and limited to R3 R4 and R5.1 of 3ds max. When my computer finally died an agonizing death I was left with no way to mesh anymore because my new computer used a newer version of windows that couldn't use any of those old 3ds max programs. I really miss meshing and wish I could get into it again.  :banghead:
  Okay now to my question, is there any way with windows 8.1 that I could possibly mesh for freedom force again?   :huh:  I know it's probably a no way case but I figured I'm desperate enough to ask if anybody knows if it could be done and find out for some peace of mind :unsure:
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

WyldFyre

Hey Vertex,

Good to see you on the boards again. I don't know if running the old versions of 3DS under a virtual machine would be an option for you or not.  Other than that,  some of our members have had success modeling in Blender and rigging to existing mesh setups. (I think SickAlice would know more about that than anyone else.) :) As far as making new keyframes though, I think that requires 3DS, so we're back to the virtual machine possibility. If you still have the original 3DS programs available that is. (I believe DaGlob may have some experience with setting up and running a virtual machine?)

Don't know if any of this is helpful but welcome back to FR anyway. I enjoy using your meshes, and seeing all the great content everyone creates with them.
For Freedom!

hoss20

I hate to ask this, Vertex, since you've probably tried this in the past, but have you had any success with changing the Compatibility setting?
(right click-> Properties->Compatibility Tab->Run this program in compatibility mode for: dropdown list for prior versions of Windows)

I'm still using Win 7, so I don't know how different things are for getting this to work for Win 8 and 8.1.

schick

The problem with running old max comes from the old C-Dilla individual license system.
The actual max program runs ok, but the protection is not compatible with 64 bits.
Network License is 64 bit compatible and was available to companies for for max alone, or max+cs.

grenadier

QuoteI hate to ask this, Vertex, since you've probably tried this in the past, but have you had any success with changing the Compatibility setting?
(right click-> Properties->Compatibility Tab->Run this program in compatibility mode for: dropdown list for prior versions of Windows)

I tired that with windows 7. No Dice.  The C-Dilla Licensing file is 32-bit and files associated with are not compatible with current operating systems.
I can't stand window 8 so I reverted back to win7 and loaded their free WinXP virtual Machine.  It was alright, but I wanted something better so I loaded VMware and loaded winXP.  I installed my 3ds Max 4.2 on WinXP and I'm meshing like before.  I also backed up the virtual machine file in another drive, so if anything goes wrong I can just copy back to where it belongs.   

Hope that helps and good to hear from you Vertex.
I hope to see you meshing again.

- Gren

Until Further Notice,  

No Requests will be be accepted.

daglob

There is a lot of stuff my computer won't do with Freedom Force, but using a Virtual Machine usually clears it up (although it can be annoying.)

SickAlice

First off noticed you last night and it's great to see you again. I'm a big fan of your art. Great to see so many old schools coming out of the woodwork period.

A lot can be done with Blender. The limitation is not being able to make your own animations. I'm limited as well to weighting meshes to pre-existing bipeds. There may be a way around that though I haven't learned it yet. Still, you can do tons otherwise up to making entire new bodies. You have a wealth of bipeds already to work from. Past this the bipeds and animations can be manipulated to a great extent in Nifskope.

I have 7x64 and Max 9 (all the company would spring for). Thus far I can't do squat for FFVTTR with it. I have plugins for it which are remakes of the ones for Blender but haven't been able to make heads or tails of how to use them there. Maybe you'll have better footing there than I have though.

Podmark

Good to see you Vertex. I hope you can get this worked out.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page