Supergirl TV Series

Started by Midnite, September 10, 2014, 04:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

trebean

I think the question here is, will it tie-in with one of the Live Action Universes
(Yes, "ONE OF" DC already announced that the Arrowverse is its own thing, same with Constantine presumably being in the same world Guildermo Del Toro's Justice League Dark Movie and the MOSVerse being its own thing, and the Shazam Movie to not take place in any established Earth)

BWPS

I hope it's Arrowverse but I'm excited regardless.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

JeyNyce

Quote from: BWPS on September 10, 2014, 01:36:21 PM
I hope it's Arrowverse but I'm excited regardless.

I'm iffy about that because if she is in the same universe as Arrow & Flash, then will she still be as powerful or will they tone her down like they did Clark in Smallville?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

detourne_me

Holy crap. Hasn't dc heard of over saturation?
They should hold off any more shows or announcing any more movies until:
A) the Flash proves to be a success (though this is almost a sure bet)
B) Constantine proves to be a success (this has the least stability in my opinion)
C) Gotham proves to be a success (I think this is about 50/50 here, batman sells, so do some actors, but how will fans like the continuity changes?)
D) Man Of Steel: Dawn of Justice: Some other contrived subtitle...proves to be a success. It probably will based on Batman alone, but will it make Avengers money, or even GOTG money (which overtook Iron Man 1 as highest grossing franchise opener for marvel)

Anyway, talk about putting the horse behind the cart.

Tomato

I doubt we'll see this or titans anytime soon. Everyone in the TV industry is just trying to hop on the Superhero bandwagon, and TV's just about the only thing DC's gotten good press about.

JeyNyce

CBS has picked up Supergirl.  I wonder how they are going to do the show?  Like Smallville?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Knowing CBS, it will probably be CSI: Smallville.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

stumpy

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 19, 2014, 10:12:44 PMKnowing CBS, it will probably be CSI: Smallville.

LOL! Awesome. (I hate CSI-type shows, but I think the concept is hilarious.)

They could change the prefix to JSA and do a whole set of franchise series titles: JSA: Smallville, JSA: Midvale, JSA: Central City, ...   :P
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

John Jr.

First look at Supergirl's costume.
And she looks more like classic Supergirl than N52's"Armored-angry-Supergirl".

http://www.newsarama.com/23724-first-look-cbs-supergirl.html

Silver Shocker

I think it looks great. A smidge modernized, but not to a fault and still instantly recognizable to anyone who knows who Supergirl is. I'm impressed.

Not familiar with the actress so I can't speak to her acting but she has a good look for the character. I'm not much of a fan of Supergirl, though I liked her in the DCAU and the various comics I've read that she's appeared in. As such I'm not sure if I would watch this but it does look like it's off to a good start.

DC really is the Marvel of superhero tv shows (live action only these days, sadly). There seems to be no stopping them.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

That's a fair looking costume, but it seems they are still terrified of color.  That blue is so dark it is almost black.  Still, it looks fairly classic, which is nice.  My feelings are more or less the same as SS.  I like the character in an offhanded way, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch a show about her.  I think it's fantastic that they're putting out a female led superhero show, though.  It's rather shameful that this is hitting before they manage to put a Wonder Woman movie on screen.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

John Jr.

I felt just like Benton about the colors (why the S-shield cannot have its yellow parts?! Why the blue is so dark?), but to be honest the costume is a lot better than I hoped. After the weird N52 version and the Smallville "No flight, no tights" take on Superman and Supergirl I was kinda of pessimist.
The designer who made the costume made the Arrow and the Flash costumes too and I think she really have a good handle on a mixing classic costumes with "modern sensibilities".

BentonGrey

If she could learn that there are other hues than 'almost black,' I'd agree. ;)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Movie(or TV) superheroes wear black.Thats a trend set by X-men.
So darker colours were to be expected.
Im not sure it would be tied to Arrowvers,since existence of Supergirl would maybe imply there is also Supermen around.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Quote from: Spade on March 07, 2015, 06:40:13 AM
Movie(or TV) superheroes wear black.Thats a trend set by X-men.
So darker colours were to be expected.
Im not sure it would be tied to Arrowvers,since existence of Supergirl would maybe imply there is also Supermen around.

I don't think that it will be tied to "Arrow" and "Flash", since it's on a different network.

HarryTrotter

CBS partialy owns CW,so its possible.
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Ah, I did not know that!

Then perhaps a crossover is possible?  I doubt that it would happen, though. But with how much CWverse is growing, maybe if the Supergirl show does really well, then maybe, just maybe, it might happen.

Either way, I don't think that I would mind too much.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It was written into the contract with CBS that Supergirl characters could appear on the other shows and vice versa.  They are popular enough that the producers can actually lay down conditions to doing other shows and networks will accept them.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

Im kinda against that crossover.It just doesnt sit right with me.
Jon Farmer

Podmark

Looks good to me. Surprisingly classic, but now that I know it was designed by the CW designer I'm less surprised.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Starman

I think the costume looks fine although, as a comic reader, I'm not really used to seeing Supergirl so covered up. I mean, even her leg between the skirt and high boots is covered.

I'm looking forward to potential crossovers with Arrow and The Flash (and, I guess, Vixen and the untitled new spinoff) ... I actually have quite a bit of respect for the way this "CW-verse" has been developed and executed.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Starman on March 09, 2015, 04:56:58 AM
I think the costume looks fine although, as a comic reader, I'm not really used to seeing Supergirl so covered up. I mean, even her leg between the skirt and high boots is covered.

I actually have an answer for that. It's so they can discourage jokes about people looking up her skirt while she flies. And I guarantee you there will be a joke about that at least once in the show. Flash already got a "Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex" reference out of the way, as did Smallville years before.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

JeyNyce

It looks like CBS is trying to have that same effect like the CW does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm46-envrHo

Shogunn2517

That show looks VERY CBSsie.  It looks like Two Broke Girls meets Elementary with superpowers.  I generally do not watch CBS shows.  That's not to say I won't watch this.  I can just see it getting really campy and goofy really quick.

But I can imagine from the first sentence we can assume this IS indeed in the Arrowverse.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: JeyNyce on May 14, 2015, 01:51:42 AM

So she has Olivers opening narration,but dresses like Felicity?  :blink:
Coincidence?  :)
Pretty sure we commented on this,but why is Jimmy Olsen black?
And why does this feel like a sitcom?  :blink:
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on May 14, 2015, 02:42:23 PM
Quote from: JeyNyce on May 14, 2015, 01:51:42 AM

So she has Olivers opening narration,but dresses like Felicity?  :blink:
Coincidence?  :)
Pretty sure we commented on this,but why is Jimmy Olsen black?
And why does this feel like a sitcom?  :blink:

Because Jimmy Olsen's ethnicity matters zero to the character, and television needs another all lily-white show like it needs another hole in the head?

HarryTrotter

Okay...it just seems a bit of an odd change,thats all.  :huh:
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

It matters less to me that Superman's pal is black, but that he's...  studly?  Charming.  Well-dressed.  Confident.  Tall.  My age.   Actually, he pretty much IS me!  And there is VERY little I have in common with the "character" of Jimmy Olsen.  Moreover he's no longer a photographer but an art director for a major media conglomerate not based in Metropolis?

So his race is one thing.  No big deal.  But it seems like they changed EVERY THING else but his name.  In fact, I thought that first guy WAS Jimmy Olsen.  Eager.  Preppy.  Wide-eyed.  Innocent.  Happy.  Chasing after Supergirl.  That's what I think when I see Jimmy Olsen.  Not a guy that I've seen playing hotshot professional athletes in Mechad Brooks.

Shogunn2517

Oh wait.  They DID change his name.  He's JAMES Olsen now!