Supergirl TV Series

Started by Midnite, September 10, 2014, 04:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Spade on May 14, 2015, 05:01:20 PM
Okay...it just seems a bit of an odd change,thats all.  :huh:

Oh and Spade, if you think "James" Olsen is odd being black...

Spoiler
Apparently Hank Henshaw aka "The Cyborg Superman" is black as well, if I'm reading Wikipedia right.  That might cause an issue if they decided to play with the "Death/Reign of Superman" storyline.

HarryTrotter

Wait...how?I mean,isnt...Didnt...
who...okay Im just confused now.
Hes a CIA agent,too.
And while I do understand why would older Jimmy be sort of a mentor,Im just confused about the whole character here.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BWPS

I kind of liked that they switched the whole nerd/winner dynamic by making her the goofball and Jimmy Olsen the sexy guy. Not enough to be even remotely excited about any other aspect of the trailer, but I liked that part. Also I think they should make every character in everything some ethnic minority. White people have had their thousands of years in the sun. And it has done untold damage to our skin and egos. Also that NOT A BIRD NOT A PLANE NOT A MAN tagline just annoys me so much. I'll let The Mary Sue or whoever decide whether or not it's actually sexist, I'll just be annoyed.

Still gonna watch at least the first episode I mean it's a superhero show and it doesn't look as bad as Gotham.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: BWPS on May 14, 2015, 10:53:25 PM
I kind of liked that they switched the whole nerd/winner dynamic by making her the goofball and Jimmy Olsen the sexy guy. Not enough to be even remotely excited about any other aspect of the trailer, but I liked that part. Also I think they should make every character in everything some ethnic minority. White people have had their thousands of years in the sun. And it has done untold damage to our skin and egos. Also that NOT A BIRD NOT A PLANE NOT A MAN tagline just annoys me so much. I'll let The Mary Sue or whoever decide whether or not it's actually sexist, I'll just be annoyed.

Still gonna watch at least the first episode I mean it's a superhero show and it doesn't look as bad as Gotham.

I'm with you on a lot of that.  Still think it's a weird dynamic switch, but that's something else.  As far as what I expect, but don't want:

Like Gotham, I can easily see this show taking "Superman's Universe" and placing it on "Supergirl's Universe", much like what Gotham did for Batman and Gordon/Young Bruce.  It's just weird to see all of these "Batman" characters show up 15-20 years before he's actually Batman.  Not just showing up, but he's connected to these characters.  Gordon, Harvey Dent, Harvey Bullock, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Joker, etc.  It just got too unbelievable(as much as a show based on a very fictional property can) for me.  It stretched the mythology for too much IMO.  Just the same, this will potentially do the same with some "Superman" characters.

Spoiler
Already mentioned the Cyborg.  But Toyman will also show up as well.  And I'm afraid these characters will become products of a Supergirl-centric world and not Superman.

I mean, I'll watch.  Maybe it will be good and maybe it won't screw continuity up so much, but I don't have so much confidence on that.  Just saying.

stumpy

I have to say that Kara is one of my favorite comic heroes. But, I am not very excited by the trailer. Too much of it has me suspicious that the writers are taking the uncreative, boring route - the route of writers who think, "The show has a female lead, therefore it must be a relationship drama with that lead obsessing about boys, worried about how she looks, etc." BTW, that route has been taken with Kara before several times in the comics, in series about her that generally failed.

IMO, there are periods of her comic runs when the character was best. And, by "best" I don't just mean she had the coolest costume or her powers were the most planet-smashing. I mean most interesting and compelling as a character, IMO. Those periods were when she was strong and independent. They include the times when she didn't wear the S because she was in Superman's shadow, but because she was proud to aspire to her cousin's example. They include when she was one of the heavy hitters for the LSH. And, of course, when things get serious -------->

That's not to say Kara should be an I'm-so-serious or brooding hero. That doesn't fit her hopeful and sunny nature. And, to be clear, I liked the Supergirl in the Timmverse's JLU. But, that was a much younger character. The TV series is showing a woman in her mid-twenties. And, she can snap a girder in two. Of course, she might be interested in some other character romantically. But, she has suffered real loss and carried on - she isn't going to be crying herself to sleep because some cute boy didn't notice her. She should have some force to her personality. That's not to say she's Amanda Waller, but Supergirl doesn't spend her time worrying whether her cape makes her butt look big.

That's not to say the TV show can't be great. Maybe it will be. I am just saying that the trailer was more reminiscent of the time in comics when Lois Lane's book had to have "Superman's Girlfriend" in the title. I'd much prefer this Supergirl to this one.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

catwhowalksbyhimself

The producer apparently said in his Variety interview that CBS has requested that this show remain its own separate thing for the time being.  So it's not part of the same universe yet, although it still might cross over at a later time.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Jimaras8

It won't crossover. Superman exists in this series and there isn't even a remote reference to aliens in neither Flash nor Arrow. They are seprate universes.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Jimaras8 on May 19, 2015, 11:22:48 AM
It won't crossover. Superman exists in this series and there isn't even a remote reference to aliens in neither Flash nor Arrow. They are seprate universes.

Yeah, guess you are right. They will never be in the same universe much less will we ever see them on the same set together.

Oh wait, I forgot that Arrow, Flash, Legends Of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and upcoming Titans series are all made by the same production studio with plans to unite everything down the road if ratings hold out.

No mention of aliens, eh? So if Ferris Aircraft was shut down for one of their test pilots missing.. He must have gone on vacation to Coast City with Oliver and Felicity to drink on the beach NOT taken by a Green Lantern ring. Plus Hawkgirl is on the Legends Of Tomorrow show.. she must have gotten her wings and weapons from a box of Cracker Jacks.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Shogunn2517

Of course he does.  However, he's not the Superman from Man of Steel.  Yeah, Arrow and Flash have no mention of aliens, but Arrow barely mentioned Metahumans before they came on with The Flash.  I understand them(CBS) wanting to do their own thing.  For now at least.  However, I sincerely doubt that intro is a coincidence at all.

However, if you are indeed right and Man of Steel, Supergirl and Arrow/Flash/Vixen/Legends are all separate universes, not to mention Gotham and the Titans series that's coming as well, this adds to my frustration with DC.  Meanwhile Marvel has seven different television series and twice as many film franchises ALL within the same universe.  And even the two franchises NOT in that universe are rumored to be in one universe of their own.

I mean, I can't be the only one that wished for this type of coordination since I was a kid.  For properties to share characters in a shared universe.  That's why the payoff for Avengers was so big.  The potential for crossover and to mix audiences is always a bigger draw.  Even audiences that are unfamiliar with the characters would expect some sort of crossover, especially if there's a Superman movie in theaters at the same time a Supergirl television show is on the air.  But the reality is they have nothing to do with each other.  Your average movie-goer's gotta be a bit confused about that.

Jimaras8

QuoteYeah, guess you are right. They will never be in the same universe much less will we ever see them on the same set together.

That is merely a photoshoot for Variety because Berlanti is behind both shows. This is not a series set.

Has it been confirmed that the pilot is a) Hal Jordan and b) he went missing due to alien interference?. For all we know it would just an easter egg like Harley that means nothing down the road. As for Hawkgirl even if she is alien that doesn't mean that Kryptonians exist in CWverse. If Supergirl's timeline is parallel to Arrow and Flash and in Supergirl Superman is known to the world then it's really weird how no one from the other two series have mentioned him. The fact that Supergirl is made by Berlanti doesn't mean much since it's in CBS. Yes, i know WB partially owns CBS too but network crossovers are really tricky, so that adds to the prevention of it.

Even if the ratings are low if there isn't any single metion of the events that occur in the three series and there are different laws at play it will be really hard for the audience to buy it.

HarryTrotter

How do you know Marvel TV shows are all in the same universe?THEY TELL you,thats it, not show,but they tell you.
Ferris airfield was just an easter egg,I dont think thats gonna be a plot point later on.
Trailer shows that Superman existed,then disappered,right?
Arroverse never mentiones Supes,clearly establishing Flash as the first SUPERhero.So this isnt the same universe,as far as I can tell.
Jon Farmer

Jimaras8

Well the fact that they tell you is almost as strong as actually show you. If for example in episode 3 of Supergirl says "There is also that speedster in Central City" wouldn't be almost as good as Flash showing up in the show? THey would have acknlowdged that they exist in the same world. Matt's father fought with Crusher Creel who appeared in Aos. Simmons has referenced Agent Carter as least twice, Hayley Atwell cameoed in AOS prior her own show. Sif, Fury and Maria Hill all have showed up in AOS.

HarryTrotter

Im all for show,dont tell approach.Like they TELL you that Punisher was the truck driver in WS,but did you SEE him driving the truck?But this wasnt about that.
If they really share the same verse,which seems kinda inconcivable at this point,then I would rather see Flash,then hear about him.
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

That and although no characters from the films have appeared in Daredevil, the events of the films are not only a backdrop, but a precipice for the entire series.  Moreover, Ulrich's newspaper clippings of the Hulk and the the Avengers fights clearly show that those events happened IN Daredevil's timeline.  More than that, Jessica Jones, which is filming now will have Luke Cage in it.  There's no question, they're all connected.

HarryTrotter

Im not saying they arent.Im saying that for example,I would rather see person X in the show,then just hear about that person,or see it in the papers on the show.Well,that was meta...
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Spade on May 19, 2015, 03:06:14 PM
Im not saying they arent.Im saying that for example,I would rather see person X in the show,then just hear about that person,or see it in the papers on the show.Well,that was meta...

It's a big world.  Of course everyone's not going to appear with everyone else.  They are still in the same world, just different corners of it.  The street level heroes in particular are dealing with mundane issues that the Avengers would never go near.  Nonetheless the Avengers film is responsible for Hell's Kitchen being the messy crime-ridden place it is.

At any rate, it doesn't matter when anyone else says, the producer says it might crossover in the future and will if he can possibly work it out.  Just not for the time being.

For now, though, then can be considered to be separate continuities.  We should just leave it to the writers to figure out how to get things to fit together if they decide to cross them over.

catwhowalksbyhimself

If this is true, it would solve all crossover issues.  We'll find out tonight, probably.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/mega-buzz-flash-introduce-multiple-universes-235537448.html

JeyNyce

Wow, that didn't take long.  The pilot episode is already online.  Was it leaked?  Who knows.....
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

crimsonquill

Quote from: JeyNyce on May 22, 2015, 03:50:16 PM
Wow, that didn't take long.  The pilot episode is already online.  Was it leaked?  Who knows.....

Nobody really ever knows why they get leaked.. but a promotional teaser using popular songs unrelated to the show, cheesy ad slogans, and scenes totally out of context really made the pilot and series seem like a misfire but it was actually pretty good overall. It really shows why advertising needs to be supervised by someone connected with the show or they might chase off your audience before it gets on the air.

Spoiler
Okay, It's not really a secret that Kara's escape craft went off course which is why she arrived on Earth later then Kal-El but it really helps explain why Jimmy.. err.. James Olson has grown up into a mature photographer/editor. Yes, It's possible that a nerdy intern (usually how Jimmy is portrayed in the comics during his youth) could grow up into someone that seems to be her own guardian angel with a connection to Clark. I've seen so many folks just go off on the show teaser because he was much older and not as nerdy as he should be. It just makes sense especially with Kara in Jimmy's role in this show.
- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

The pilot was pretty weak IMO.
Its a single camera sitcom,really.Also nonsensical in a few ways.
Jon Farmer

docdelorean88

I havent seen the pilot, but im currently giving this one the benefit of the doubt. I like the idea that super heroes font have to be non stop action drama all the time. Its one of the reasons i liked Lois and Clark as much as i did, and really one of the reasons it lasted as long as it did. I suppose its all about balance though, and the Flash currently has that balance.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Silver Shocker

New characters announced at Comic-con. Spoiler warning (I guess?):

Spoiler
Maxwell Lord and Livewire. Nice.  :thumbup: 

I wonder who would make a good Livewire these days?
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

The first picture of Red Tornado shown--and I don't like it.  He doesn't look like a robot and the makeup frankly does not look good at all.  The rest of the costume doesn't help.

http://screenrant.com/supergirl-red-tornado-iddo-goldberg-dr-to-morrow/

spydermann93

Oh, err... wow. That's, ummm... awful. I mean, come on. I know that they can do better. :(

BWPS

It looks like they were trying to do what they did with Vision, but they had no idea what they were doing.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: BWPS on September 20, 2015, 06:29:51 PM
It looks like they were trying to do what they did with Vision, but they had no idea what they were doing.

Vision actually looked good.  This does not.  Trying to copy a multi-million dollar movie effect with a TV show budget is not a good idea in generally.  Better to do something like a red Cyberman suit.  Make him really look like a robot with a touch more humanity in the fact, but only just.

This is just ugly and terrible.

BentonGrey

Wow...that is IMPRESSIVELY terrible.  I didn't know it was the 80s again...

RT has a great costume, so this is all the more a shame.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Shogunn2517

I've seen better costumes at a Comic-con.  And that's not a joke.

Outcast

I'm actually excited about this series. I'm not sure how it goes against the Supergirl in the comics, but it looks likes it's gonna be a lot of fun to watch.  :)

Not sure yet how the costumes of other characters that will appear in the show will have an effect on me. But so far by the trailer i've seen, her costume and the special effects looks good in my opinion.

Silver Shocker

Still not sure if I have any interest in watching this show (though early reviews have said that Melissa Benoist/Supergirl is the best part of the show, which was my opinion of the show to begin with) but I will say that the Canadian station that has the show is airing ads for it constantly. It really seems like they're trying to give it the best possible chance of starting strong.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa