Supergirl TV Series

Started by Midnite, September 10, 2014, 04:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeyNyce

From the watching the pilot, Melissa Benoist/Supergirl is the best thing about the show.  Her whole "working with the government to fight aliens" seems a lot like Flash fighting meta-humans.  She will probably have a "freak of the week" like Smallville did.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Glitch Girl

REMNIDER: Tonight is the premiere so mark your schedules or set your DVRs or update your subscriptions.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

catwhowalksbyhimself

I thought it was good.  Not great, but good and it could lead into great later.

Meanwhile the ratings were very good.  They also cut across all the demographics, meaning whole families are watching this together.  There really has not been many family shows in recent years, so this is a good thing.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Jimaras8

I didn't like it. I didn't like the dialogue, i don't like how heavy-handed is the "girl power" theme, i don't like that Olsen is turned into a jock to appease female audiences and the supporting characters didn't make an impression to me. Effects are good and Benoist is cute as Kara but the show didn't grasp me. One thing that i'm tired of is writers telling me that she is girl and strong. Don't tell me, SHOW ME.

JeyNyce

Tonight's episode made up for having a lousy looking Red Tornado

Spoiler

This open up the series to introduce more stories and villains. hint hint Cyborg Superman

Silver Shocker

Yep, awesome reveal.
Spoiler
He even looks like J'onn J'onzz. Great job by the creators.

I was always curious if this version of Hank Henshaw would become Cyborg Superman, since he obviously doesn't look like the actual Superman. Looks like they've gone in a very different, cool direction.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

JeyNyce

I'm just guessing but:

Spoiler
I'm hoping that Hank Henshaw does come back as a Cyborg Superman/ Steel hybrid

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

Spoiler

The CGI was a bit obvious, but forgivable for being a tv show especially since they nailed his overal look and got a design that makes up for Red Tornado.  And for once we got a hero on the show that they didn't turn into a villain!  They keep doing that.  It's starting to annoy me a bit.

It defintely wasn't what I was expecting and put an entirely different spin on the character's secrecy and his past behavior.  It's also very clever that every power they've shown him use until now is one that is shared by both Cyborg Superman and Martian Manhunter.

According to this article, they actually weren't planning that when they filmed the pilot.  He apparently was going to be Cyborg Superman, but one of the producers commented to Geoff Johns that the actor would make the perfect Martian Manhunter and Johns told them to go ahead and do that, since they were planning a big reveal anyways.  I must say that it turned out very well.  One of the quotes from one of the producers also gives me heart that they will do justice to his character, namely" the most frightening-looking of all the Justice Leaguers and, yet, is the one with the purest heart."

They will also go into his backstory including the White Martians, so lots to look forward to.

http://screenrant.com/supergirl-tv-martian-manhunter/

In spite of all that, this still wasn't my favorite moment in this episode.  The best moment, in the show so far, for me was
Spoiler

Kara facing the looters without her powers and talking them down.  That whole scene reminded me of the best of Superman and it felt right for Supergirl too.  Right there is a real superhero.  Right there is exactly what Man of Steel missed.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Some new news.

Laura Vandervoot, aka Supergirl on Smallville, will play Indigo(Brainiac 8)

They will also be doing their own version of "For the Man Who Has Everything."

Previously announced elsewhere was Bizarro Girl.

http://tvline.com/2016/01/11/supergirl-laura-vandervoort-indigo-cast-season-1/

JeyNyce

It would be cool if they had Laura Vandervoot play Power Girl and then appear on the Flash as Power Girl again.  I can dream.......

Tomato

So I'm finally taking the time to catch up on Supergirl... I haven't been keeping up with it due to it not being on hulu, but it's a show I really do want to support. I'm still a bit behind everyone else (I'm mostly done with episode 6 now) and I reached an epiphany watching the episode I wanted to type out. I'm spoiler tagging for those who aren't caught up JIC, but again, if you're past episode 6 you're fine.

Spoiler
So one of the biggest issues going in with Supergirl is, to a certain extent, the same issue that I have with shows like Agent Carter: While I absolutely do want a solid female lead superhero show out there, both shows feel this intrinsic need to somehow justify the fact that the lead character is a girl. It's much worse in Agent Carter's first season (where literally every guy in the show was a caricature of some form of sexism, and the show even pointed it out) but Supergirl has suffered much of the same pitfalls.

However, it's with episode 6 (the one with the lame Red Tornado plot) that I begin to notice the stuff that genuinely justifies Supergirl's existence. Throughout the episode, we have Kara dealing with her increasing frustration over all the little things going on in her life. It leads her to explode at her boss, who then takes her out drinking and tells her she needs to find the real source of her anger. And at first, we're lead to believe the source of it is her ongoing jealousy over James' relationship with Lucy Lane... which is such a cliche storyline for a female character to be going through I'm annoyed it's even a thing. However, she finally realizes the real source of her anger and frustration: Despite finally being able to show who she is in public, despite doing the right thing, she still can't have the normal life she wants.

And this is what, for me at least, justifies this show's existence. Kara coming to terms with her heritage, coming to terms with the idea that she can never be truly human... that's a core element of what makes Superman himself an interesting character. And while I have seen movie after movie and show after show try to capture that core idea, I have never seen it done as powerfully as it was in this episode. And unfortunately, a part of that is because of just how big an icon Superman is: because Superman has to be perfect. Superman cannot accidentally break a dude's arm because he's frustrated with his life, or punch holes in a car to let off some steam. People went nuts at him killing a dude to save people's lives, can you imagine the uproar over him going too far and breaking a random dude's arm because he's pissy that the girl he likes is dating another dude?

Smallville ran for over 10 seasons. It featured Clark acting tortured and alone and moppy and emo and basically every sappy soap opera drama they could cram into the character. But I never, not once, felt as invested in the idea of how his powers and life affected him as a character as I have in 6 episodes with a character that is happy most of the time. Maybe because I suffer with bouts of depression and anger myself, but I can relate to her anger and frustration in a much more visceral way than any amount of Smallville drama or MoS emo flashbacks.

Add to that the fact that this show has allowed us a really interesting look at James Olson, a character most incarnations of the mythos nowadays try to forget about, about his inadequacy issues being best friends with a dude that saves the world all the time... Yeah, I really do like this show now.

Outcast

I really enjoyed last week's episode where ..
Spoiler
SuperGirl's secret identity was almost exposed/revealed to her boss Ms. Grant.

But now this week's episode is just unfair. Maxwell Lord now knows who SuperGirl is, and might even know about Martian Manhunter's identity as well.  :banghead: How are they gonna stop him now? Darn it. :angry:

catwhowalksbyhimself

So it turns out that Supergirl was temporarily canceled and replaced by the Martian Manhunter Show.  Fortunately, it was quite good, depicting a very classic version of his origin while diving right into emotions of it all, especially anger and survivor's guilt.

And that is all I will say, but probably the best adaptation of the character's origin story ever.

BentonGrey

Hmm...you know, I would probably actually watch a Martian Manhunter show.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

Supergirl/Flash crossover officially announced and already filmed.  To air in March.

http://screenrant.com/supergirl-flash-tv-show-crossover-episode-premiere-date/

Tomato

Grah, Cat beat me to posting about this. I'm so excited for this crossover, and I'm curious to see where they go with it... Is this gonna be a world hopping Barry, or are they setting these shows in the same world, or is this the Supergirl universe's version of Barry... lots of questions, and I can't wait.

Shogunn2517

Well.... the Flash has only discovered Earth 2.  I don't see how they explain getting to another Earth on her show... it's possible.

catwhowalksbyhimself

If you did not see the last episode on the Flash, a brief shot of Supergirl was shown as they crossed from one universe to another.  Multiverse theory basically confirmed.  How he'll get their, we don't know yet. My guess is, an accident trying to cross over or back to or from Earth 2.

Also, Grant's been posting photos from the shoot with the Supergirl folks.  Here the two costumes together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBnzcDZgVPt/

GhostMachine

Only thing I hated about the latest episode: A serious lack of

Spoiler
"Burn"

Tomato

So lately I've been streaming JL/JLU with a friend of mine (I'm alternating in some Flash as well, which he'd been enjoying) and we watched "For the Man Who Has Everything" on tuesday. Finally got to watching Supergirl today (it's not as easy to access since it's not on Hulu) and I just started laughing.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Tomato on February 11, 2016, 05:17:51 AM
So lately I've been streaming JL/JLU with a friend of mine (I'm alternating in some Flash as well, which he'd been enjoying) and we watched "For the Man Who Has Everything" on tuesday. Finally got to watching Supergirl today (it's not as easy to access since it's not on Hulu) and I just started laughing.

CBS has it on their website.

Outcast

Spoiler
What i just don't understand is why James "Jimmy" Olsen now feels pressured to tell his girlfriend "Lucy Lane" about Kara and her secret identity. Truth and Justice? What happened to his loyalty to Superman? Might as well reveal his secret identity as well. Seeing that he doesn't want to lie to his girlfriend anymore. If he believes in what Ms. Grant of Catco also said. Might as well tell the whole world the "truth".  :doh:  :banghead:   :wacko:

catwhowalksbyhimself

So the crossover with Flash was last night.  Fun little episodes.  A few thoughts.

Spoiler

Supergirl's Earth (I'll call it Earth 3 for ease, although it wasn't called as such) has Central City, but no Star Labs or any of the associated characters.
Barry brings his knowledge of anit-meta tech to Earth 3.  The police in National City at least can now lock up superpowered criminals safely.
I may be wrong, but I do believe the term Metahuman is now being used in Earth 3.  Although they don't share Earth 1's origin.
I still have no idea what the device on Barry's chest was far.  Don't think they explained it.
I'm not certain, but I think this ep is set a bit forward in time compared to where Flash is at.
Raggy clothed Livewire looked stupid next to fully costumed Silver Banshee.  Couldn't have killed them to give them both costumes.  At least SB looked good.
I was a bit disappointed that the fire department ended up beating the bad guys.  It's kinda the point of a teamup for the good guys to win by working together, not for them both to lose and have to be rescued by random bystanders.  I understand it completed the Supergirl storyline, but at the cost of the teamup's ending.
I like the scenes with Barry giving Kara advice.  Everything about their interaction basically.

JeyNyce

Has anybody else hear that the show was not renew for a second season?

daglob

Quote from: JeyNyce on March 29, 2016, 10:49:27 PM
Has anybody else hear that the show was not renew for a second season?

I've seen several items that say no word has been heard yet. This may be a positive spin to dead silence.

Silver Shocker

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

It's not really conflicting information... the reason everyone is all "OMG the sky is falling, supergirl is being cancelled" is because CBS put out a list of shows being renewed on the 25th, and Supergirl wasn't on it... Despite the CEO stating on the 8th that all new shows were getting renewed. This has got everyone calling out doomsday prophecies for the show, which has been slowly dropping in ratings for awhile now, particularly the episodes leading up to the crossover (the crossover itself got HUGE ratings though). However, it could be a number of things, and nothing has come out saying the show is actively being cancelled.

catwhowalksbyhimself

And it seems like Supergirl has been renewed for Season 2--but on a different network, a lower budget, and a change in filming locations.  Supergirl will now air on the CW alongside The Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow.

Podmark

In a basic sense I like this change. Having Supergirl in Vancouver with the other shows and on the same network should increase the chances for crossovers by 100% (it makes me wonder if they knew that back then if they'd have handled the crossover differently). The budget changes and move do concern me. We could lose cast members and I wonder what effect it will have on the special effects.

I quite enjoyed Supergirl. Glad it's continuing.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page