Supergirl TV Series

Started by Midnite, September 10, 2014, 04:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Hmm, I see we have another race switch with a character, but this is one that totally works.  Ms Martian being "black" makes as much sense as any other ethnicity, seeing as she's a shapeshifter.  That's a nice, low impact way to add some diversity.

The guy doesn't really look like Mon-El to me.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

I don't know if they're going for the subtle "she's a shapeshifter so it kinda makes sense that she could be black" angle. To me, I think she's black because the other Martian, the one of Manhunter persuasions, is also played by a black actor.

Hoping that you're right, though :P

BentonGrey

Well, but that follows the same logic.  And there have actually been some Martian Manhunter stories where he took on the identity of a black man.  There's a good story to be told there about the ultimate outsider taking on the role of a social outsider in our culture, especially if they made it a period tale.  I'm not sure if that's been done, but I sort of have a feeling it has.

Anyway, the point for Ms Martian works for J'onn himself, especially considering how many different identities he had over the years.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Silver Shocker

J'onn's been played by a black actor more times than white, be it live action or animation. Phill Morris in Smallville, Carl Lumbly in JLU, Kevin Micheal Richardson in Young Justice, I'm pretty sure the actor that voiced him in The Batman was black too. You could say it's a tradition and that longtime fans have come to expect. It might just also be that the deep voice all of those actors brought to the table fit the character.
The thing about M'gann (Miss Martian), is it's not just that she's a shapeshifter, it's that she's directly taking after J'onn. That's how it was in both the comics and Young Justice, if I recall . She was introduced in YJ as his "niece". I don't think it was explicitly said in the comics, just because J'onn was dead at the time. As soon as I saw the actress was black (half black, actually; I looked it up) I just assumed that'd be the story angle. Maybe in her human identity, she'll be "related" to "Hank Henshaw". Makes sense to me.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

stumpy

Not sure if Mr. Wood fits with how I think of Mon-El or not. Certainly, with straightish black hair, he'd look a bit more the part than he does in his IMDB portrait. There's lots of room for this to be fine with make-up and costume choices.

I will be pretty happy if the show writes the character with the same sort of introduction as he had in the early DC comics (e.g. Superboy #89). An amnesiac shows up with what look to be essentially kryptonian superpowers and some sign that he had met Jor-El, so Kal (or Kara & Co.) assumes he is kryptonian and possibly related. I think they could build an interesting arc around that.

They will have to either change or pretty much immediately mitigate the lead vulnerability aspect of the character. Even without tetraethyl lead in the air from leaded gasoline, lead is just too common in the modern world.

And, it would be nice if they could hold off on having him be a love interest for one of the show's other leads. Wishful thinking, I know.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Silver Shocker

In a CW superhero show? Yeah, the chances of that are pretty much absolute zero.

I admit I'm not as familiar with Mon-El, but the picture of the actor I saw looked fine to me. Though really, as much as the costumes evoke the comic designs, how often in these shows do the actual actors resemble the characters in the comics? Mellissa Benoist as Kara is really one of the better examples, and that's mostly the blonde hair. Ironically the guy who plays Winn would have been very well suited for the traditional Jimmy Olson. (which I'm sure was intentional)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Quote from: Silver Shocker on August 12, 2016, 12:07:40 PM
J'onn's been played by a black actor more times than white, be it live action or animation. Phill Morris in Smallville, Carl Lumbly in JLU, Kevin Micheal Richardson in Young Justice, I'm pretty sure the actor that voiced him in The Batman was black too. You could say it's a tradition and that longtime fans have come to expect. It might just also be that the deep voice all of those actors brought to the table fit the character.
The thing about M'gann (Miss Martian), is it's not just that she's a shapeshifter, it's that she's directly taking after J'onn. That's how it was in both the comics and Young Justice, if I recall . She was introduced in YJ as his "niece". I don't think it was explicitly said in the comics, just because J'onn was dead at the time. As soon as I saw the actress was black (half black, actually; I looked it up) I just assumed that'd be the story angle. Maybe in her human identity, she'll be "related" to "Hank Henshaw". Makes sense to me.

Yeah, and all of that makes it even more fitting.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

Trailer for Superman team up.  Like the interaction between the two that seems to be there.  Should be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzcUrc529Po
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

thalaw2

I really like this show.  I can't understand why it only gets 2-3 stars.  It really is the "best B show," ever!
革命不会被电视转播

Silver Shocker

Well this week we got the Kevin Smith directed "Supergirl Lives", which apparently takes some story ques from the Kevin Smith-scripted Superman movie that never was. I'm not as versed in what those references are, but one part definitely stood out- a reference to a "Thanagarian Snare-Beast" aka Smith's sci-fi name for the infamous giant spider!  :thumbup:
~Rocky Balboa

John Jr.

I'm liking the second season a lot, it "feels" more like a super-hero show than the first season, IMHO. I really liked their take on Superman, it felt more faithful to the classic version, but more "modern" than the Chris Reeve movies (while I love those movies I understand modern audiences would see that Superman as "too naive"). I'm intrigued with their take on Ms Martian, I thought she would be a kid like the comics and the Young Justice series and I was very surprised to see her as an grown up with no relation to J'onn. I'm kinda of... surprised to say the least with their version of Mon-El, he's a completely different character from the comic book hero, but he works as a counterpart to Kara's (and Kal's) "duty first" morals. I'm curious to see how they will manage them (Mon-El and M'gann).

GhostMachine

I don't know....

I'm bored to tears with the whole Alex-Maggie thing. Partially due to how its being written and partially due to them casting an actress who looks more like Renee Montoya than Maggie Sawyer. Guardian's costume stinks. In particular the helmet design. And I'm actually missing Cat Grant. They also need to quick messing around and get Mon-El a costume already. Plus, its kind of obvious why the aliens at the end of the last episode are after him:

Spoiler
He's actually the Daxam prince.

And they cast another former Glee cast member to play the villain in the Supergirl-Flash musical crossover. *Yawn* Guess they couldn't afford NPH, or he wasn't available or willing to do it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Eh, it just won't be the same with anyone else.  Plus I honestly don't like the idea of a musical episode.  There's no need to force very show to be a musical for one episode.  It worked for the Brave and the Bold, but this was a show where a major villain was a gangster with the head of a baby--so yeah.  Bit different.

Although given that this is apparently one of the event the Flash is seeking to change, it looks like it will actually be plot relevant.

thalaw2

Twas a decent new ep.  I don't expect much from this show.  It really sticks to it's own.  I'd like to see more Guardian.
革命不会被电视转播

Tomato

So I'm catching up with shows finally (didn't watch any of them for the last few weeks) and even though I'm still an episode behind can I just say... Sodam being the Daxam Prince has been so telegraphed and unsurprising that I'm actually annoyed they haven't just gotten that "twist" over with yet.

And no, I'm not spoilering that. It's been so obvious and telegraphed that I literally was saying that since he told his "Origin". It does not, in any way, count as a spoiler when it is so blatantly obvious and telegraphed.

As for Music Meister... eh. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it. That said, I get being disappointed by the lack of Harris, but Darren Criss is not a bad alternative. I've never watched Glee, but he was great in the Very Potter Musicals (seriously, they're up for free on youtube. If you're a HP fan, watch them), and I could see him playing well against Supergirl and Flash.

Silver Shocker

Tomato, are you sure you didn't mean to say Mon-El? Or is my knowledge of Sodam Yat lacking?

As for Music Meister, yeah, I'm disappointed it's not NPH (just as I was disappointed that Welling didn't play Superman) but I also in no way actually expected them to get NPH. He's a busy guy, he probably demands more of a paycheck then they're probably willing to spend for a guest spot, he just did that Lemony Snicket series (which he looks awesome in) and this isn't even the first time that character's been recast (that would be Lego Batman 3)

Speaking of Music Meister, pics of him have surfaced....and he's just a guy in a black suit. Well, that's disappointing. I was honestly expecting him to look fabulous like he did in Brave and the Bold.

In other Supergirl news, Teri Hatcher (who played Lois Lane on Lois and Clark) will play a villain role on the show, as will Kevin Sorbo, who I was surprised to learn almost got the role of Clark/Superman in Lois and Clark instead of Dean Cain. Also we're getting Mr. Mxyspklk soon, and from the description, unlike the version in Smallville, he's actually going to be a magical imp from another dimension. Madness! I kinda wish Gilbert Gottfied was still doing the voice though.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Blah, yes I meant Mon-El. When I first heard Daxamite character, my mind immediately went to Sodam Yat... and every so often I catch myself using that name rather than Mon-El.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just saw the conclusion of Season 2.  It was a GREAT season finale.  Totally nailed it.  It had action, drama, all sorts of element from all season being brought together.  Superman came back, was still a far better version than the movie one, and yet did not take over the show.  The only think I did not like is that Mon-El still did not put on a costume--even though he talked about doing so like half the season ago.
Spoiler
And sadly probably now never will since Earth's atmosphere is now poisonous to Daxamites.

stumpy

Just finished season 2. There are two many specifics to sort of complain about or sort of like. But, general impressions...

The show has been, to be honest, pretty marginal. But, I finally watched to the end of the second season. I wish that the writers could write a superhero show that's more a superhero show and less a relationship drama. I knew I was in trouble when my girlfriend said, "Alright, I am drama-bombed out. You are on your own for this show."

The last couple of episodes at least had a fair amount of action and a plotline that brought most of the threads of the season together. For some reason, the fight choreography fell apart sporadically. There is a reason people don't fight by throwing wide, arcing, straight-armed punches. It doesn't work. And, it looks silly on camera. It's too bad, too - many of the fight scenes were pretty good, given what I assume is a fairly modest special effects budget.

BTW, at the end,
Spoiler
when Mon-El has to leave due to the lead radiation, was anyone else thinking, "They should send him into the Phantom Zone until they can get rid of the lead."? And, preferably, someone else says, "But, it might take a thousand years before someone figures out how to do that!"  ;)
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

daglob

Gotta leave something for the season  three or four finale...

stumpy

Hehe. True, though I am a little doubtful the show will make it to season 4. I was actually a little surprised that no one even mentioned the Phantom Zone as an option, since it was part of that episode. But, they certainly have left Mon-El's story with plenty of room to go. Since this show can't really go more than a couple episodes without dating drama, I would guess that Mon-El will be back pretty quickly next season, or that Jimmy will be in her cross-hairs in short order (only to have Kara feel guilty about it, etc.).

A potential Easter egg for fans that I would enjoy would be for Kara to adopt a cat and name it Streaky. It doesn't have to have super powers, but just a normal pet with the name would be a nice touch.

The fan service will have gone too far if she winds up dating a part-time horse/centaur or a merman.  :rolleyes: