News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Static character as a prop?

Started by SickAlice, November 01, 2014, 04:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

Basically I want to know how to use a character nif as a prop in a level. The idea is they hang out in one spot but run through the Idle animation.

Cyber Burn

This is way out of my realm of knowledge, but what would happen if you just removed all the other animations?

SickAlice

In that case " if " the game determines to have the nif behave as a character then the remaining animation becomes the default one for every action. So the character will still walk around and what not but just use the idle animation as the walk one and appear to be floating.

Cyber Burn

Again, Map Making is not something I have ever tried before, but it couldn't hurt to at least try and bounce some ideas around.

In this case, I'm wondering what would happen if you maybe copied the settings of a Static Mesh from the Editor (The "Crate" for example), and applied that to the "Character.Nif".

Maybe you could create a new folder in the "Street_Objects" Folder for the "Character.Nif"? And, if you renamed the Nif from "Character.Nif" to something like "Citizen.Nif", could that solve the problem of having the Game make the Nif act as a Character, hence not making it walk?

daglob

There are mods that use characters as statues; don't remember one off hand, but there may be something in one of them.

bearded

Quote from: daglob on November 01, 2014, 08:24:46 PM
There are mods that use characters as statues; don't remember one off hand, but there may be something in one of them.
The Great Hunt

SickAlice

@CB: The reason that wouldn't work is while that would keep the prop in one place it strips him of his Idle animation. The character is intended to be stuck halfway out of the ground (a grave) and struggling to get free.

bearded

try using ffedit and turning off their ai.

SickAlice

Quote from: bearded on November 04, 2014, 09:55:30 PM
try using ffedit and turning off their ai.

This worked, thank you. Issue resolved. For the record then:

1. I created the template in FFEdit. Made it a character class.
2. Created the character in FFEdit.
- no AI
- no moves nor attributes (don't know if this matters but listing it for completions sakes)
- set the move radius to 0

Put it in the map, works like a charm.