Captain America 3: [....SPOILER IF YOU CLICK]

Started by Shogunn2517, October 14, 2014, 03:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Looking good!

BWPS, agreed. 

Also, I'm not one who usually cares too much about diversity in comics or the like (certainly not against it, but ambivalent), but I think it's really cool that we're going to have two major black superheroes in this movie.  That's just awesome, and they didn't give any of the core Avengers short shrift in order to do it.  That's a really impressive feat of craftsmanship. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

baley

That seems the right attitude to have. It's a nice bit of justice for fans and actors alike, without sacrificing story or making artificial substitutions between characters. (Nevermind for a moment what
Spoiler
Falcon being the new Captain America
was all about when it happened, of course, or "black bad-bum Nick Fury" might have meant when it first hit the Ultimate Universe. At this point, after the fact, that is source material a decade old.)

Shogunn2517

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 03, 2015, 07:28:58 PM
Looking good!

BWPS, agreed. 

Also, I'm not one who usually cares too much about diversity in comics or the like (certainly not against it, but ambivalent), but I think it's really cool that we're going to have two major black superheroes in this movie.  That's just awesome, and they didn't give any of the core Avengers short shrift in order to do it.  That's a really impressive feat of craftsmanship.

Exactly.  It's just hard to put in word what this means to the thousands of black kids who were like me growing up.  Into comics and not really minding a lack of diversity, but when you do get characters that reflect your background and culture it gives you a little more to attach yourself to.  Falcon and Black Panther not only give black kids characters they can identify with, but they're completely story appropriate too.  They're not trying to hard or shoe-horning blackness on characters that aren't, which rubs many oddly, rightly or wrongly.  So this is good to see in more ways than one.

BentonGrey

Shogunn, it's awesome to hear your perspective on that.  I'm sure you're right. :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

HarryTrotter

So there is this:
http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/947517
Preview read:
When THE MANDARIN strikes at the United States with a series of deadly terror attacks, IRON MAN must take action! But can TONY STARK handle the pressure when he has his own demons to face?
So we could see the real Mandarin after all?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I would love it if we did, but that sounds suspiciously like someone mixed up the plot of Iron Man 3 with this...
God Bless

JeyNyce

Here's the latest rumor on Civil War - read at your own risk....

Spoiler
As you may have know that there is talked about Spidey being in the movie. whether it's a cameo or what, we don't know.  Rumor has it that the reason why he wasn't in the trailer was because he will be wearing the Iron Spider armor (the one Tony made for him).  If you go to comicbook.com they have an article that says that Spidey's costume will use CGI, so this is a possibility.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Shogunn2517

So... apparently, someone has found a photo of a Lego catalog for 2016 that has a pretty BIG spoiler...

Spoiler
http://comicbook.com/2015/12/17/captain-america-civil-war-lego-sets-may-reveal-giant-spoiler/

Apparently, Scott Lang's gonna continue down the path of the character and become GIANT MAN.  Told you it was BIG.

BentonGrey

God Bless

Silver Shocker

Well, about that:

Spoiler

See Hyperion in the corner of that page? These Lego sets are partly based on the Avengers Assemble cartoon. Which, for those who aren't caught up, added Ant-Man as a regular in season two and revealed he was Scott Lang, who used the modern, movie-style costume in the cartoon. (he was originally used as a one-off in season 1 and was written as Hank Pym). See Falcon in the upper right corner, and notice how he's wearing white and red? Those are his colors in the cartoon. There was also a Lego Avengers Assemble tv special recently that combined the cartoon and the movies (the cartoon already tried to emulate the movies in a lot of ways), with some of the voice actors of the cartoons, but also Vision, Yellowjacket and Ultron. If I recall correctly it used the movie designs for a lot of the characters.

So just because Scott Lang's turning giant here doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen in the movie. Doesn't mean it won't, but I'm just saying. 

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Hey, I had the same thought, SS, but that one scene seems to be drawn directly from the movie.  It's possible, but I'm okay either way.  :)
God Bless

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Silver Shocker on December 18, 2015, 03:08:07 AM
Well, about that:

Spoiler

See Hyperion in the corner of that page? These Lego sets are partly based on the Avengers Assemble cartoon. Which, for those who aren't caught up, added Ant-Man as a regular in season two and revealed he was Scott Lang, who used the modern, movie-style costume in the cartoon. (he was originally used as a one-off in season 1 and was written as Hank Pym). See Falcon in the upper right corner, and notice how he's wearing white and red? Those are his colors in the cartoon. There was also a Lego Avengers Assemble tv special recently that combined the cartoon and the movies (the cartoon already tried to emulate the movies in a lot of ways), with some of the voice actors of the cartoons, but also Vision, Yellowjacket and Ultron. If I recall correctly it used the movie designs for a lot of the characters.

So just because Scott Lang's turning giant here doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen in the movie. Doesn't mean it won't, but I'm just saying. 

Interesting... Good catch.  However:
Spoiler
Looking at the two pics you referenced, Captain America is in both.  In the top left he's a lighter blow and in the bottom right he's a darker blue, which I would think is closer to his MCU costume.  I assume.  So I'm thinking it might be a different version.  Maybe.[/quote]

Tomato

Either way, I wouldn't put much stock in it just yet. Remember last year we had that ant man set that labeled a black ant looking character as "Hank Pym", and a bunch of people expected him to turn evil? Just saying, I wouldn't put much stock in Lego sets.

Jimaras8

The main difference is that many scoop sites have reported that
Spoiler
Giant-Man
will be in Civil War. If anyone wants the original source search "Joblo Civil War scoop" and read the one from april. It's months before any original detail was released and the guy was spot-on in which he said.

Shogunn2517

To follow up on some musings we were speaking about a few months back based on what was being reportedly seen...

Spoiler
This is a MAJOR SPOILER... or not, if you're familiar with the material.

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqt6t_Xmx1k&feature=youtu.be

But when we were talking about who was the reported "funeral scene" was for that was being filmed, it was for Peggy Carter.  Chris Evans was actually in the shot, so that scene wasn't for Captain America, but Captain America: Civil War will actually BEGIN and END with a funeral, Peggy Carter's AND Captain America's.  Moreover, three scenes were filmed with an actor literally/metaphorically picking up the shield; Sebastian Stan(Winter Solder/Bucky), Anthony Mackie(Falcon/Sam Wilson) and Emily Van Camp(Agent 13/Sharon Carter).

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on December 29, 2015, 07:23:30 AM
To follow up on some musings we were speaking about a few months back based on what was being reportedly seen...

Spoiler
This is a MAJOR SPOILER... or not, if you're familiar with the material.

Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqt6t_Xmx1k&feature=youtu.be

But when we were talking about who was the reported "funeral scene" was for that was being filmed, it was for Peggy Carter.  Chris Evans was actually in the shot, so that scene wasn't for Captain America, but Captain America: Civil War will actually BEGIN and END with a funeral, Peggy Carter's AND Captain America's.  Moreover, three scenes were filmed with an actor literally/metaphorically picking up the shield; Sebastian Stan(Winter Solder/Bucky), Anthony Mackie(Falcon/Sam Wilson) and Emily Van Camp(Agent 13/Sharon Carter).

I'm still calling BS on this rumour, for a couple of very practical reasons
Spoiler
- Chris Evans is still under contract with Marvel.  His star has really risen during his time playing Cap, and I find it very unlikely they'd end that time any sooner than contractually obligated.  Now, maybe they'll off him and then have some magic resurrection for Avengers Infinity War, but that puts a real dampener on whoever is supposedly taking on his mantle.

Shogunn2517

I actually think that's how they'll go with it.

Talavar

detourne_me

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Probably the best Marvel movie to date, or at least top 3.
No spoilers from me here,  just go watch it!

HarryTrotter

Quote from: detourne_me on April 30, 2016, 01:48:39 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Probably the best Marvel movie to date, or at least top 3.
No spoilers from me here,  just go watch it!

Thats nice to hear.Reviews have been pretty good so far.
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Nyte Dragon

Merged the posts together...

And a non-spoilers comment, from all accounts I have heard, we will finally be getting a Spider-Man that can be called amazing and spectacular.
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

catwhowalksbyhimself

And this movie just smooshed Batman V Superman's preticket sales record to be the highest of all time.

Lets see how many other ways it smooshes that film.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 03, 2016, 10:48:02 PM
And this movie just smooshed Batman V Superman's preticket sales record to be the highest of all time.

Lets see how many other ways it smooshes that film.

I can't wait!  Eat it WB!  :P
God Bless

detourne_me

Quote from: Night Dragon on May 01, 2016, 06:16:33 PM
Merged the posts together...

And a non-spoilers comment, from all accounts I have heard, we will finally be getting a Spider-Man that can be called amazing and spectacular.
Thanks, and yes, he was even sensational.

Shogunn2517

Okay.  Finally saw it.  Loved it.  However there were a few things I did not expect.

Spoiler
This was not, and I repeat NOT an Avengers movie.  It was not the movie where the Avengers get together and take down a big bad badguy and all their henchmen.  Not that I was expecting it to be, it's just the focus was not the Avengers at all.  It was very much a sequel to CA:WS and less of a sequel to A:AOA.  More plot heavy than action heavy, but the action was pretty mind blowing!  I'm definitely gonna need this on DVD to watch the airport scene in slow motion.  Everybody was kicking arse.  Scott was a nice touch, kept to what his character is.  Spider-Man was waaaaay over the top, little different than the other two movie versions but really, really well done.  Seemingly each had some time to shine and to see them rock.  Finally saw the Vision use his powers the way you'd hope.  The ending though... underwhelming? I guess.  I expected more to happen.  Expected maybe Captain America to die or go to jail or something to kinda shake sense into both of them but it ended with no real resolution.  And no real Avengers.  How can there be Avengers if it's just Iron Man and Vision?  Unless Capt was going to continue with the Secret Avengers, him, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Ant/Giant Man and Hawkeye... but then again he gave up his shield.  But it was good though.  Might have been slow in some parts.  Maybe because I was expecting more action when it wasn't that kind of movie.  Long though.  Gotta wonder how do they go from where they are to Infinity War.   

Talavar

Just got back from seeing it, and thought it was pretty great.  Despite all the Avengers, still very much a Captain America movie.  More specific, spoilery thoughts in the tags
Spoiler
The airport scene from trailers and such is amazing.  Spider-man and Ant-man are great additions of levity and cool power use to an otherwise heavy movie.  Neither Cap nor Tony are exactly in the wrong, and it was a much better handling of characters than the comic Civil War.  I'm very curious who are the Avengers by the movie's end--I guess Rhody could still use his suit, Widow, Tony and Vision?  I guess we'll find out in 2018(!), unless Spider-man or Black Panther have some details.  I might comment more later; there's a lot in this movie to unpack.

HarryTrotter

i know most of you dont care,but I have to say it-If Sokovia was a stand in for Serbia(which it more or less was) that would mean Zemo was changed to a Serbian villain.Cliche much?
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on July 11, 2016, 12:52:25 PM
i know most of you dont care,but I have to say it-If Sokovia was a stand in for Serbia(which it more or less was) that would mean Zemo was changed to a Serbian villain.Cliche much?

Sokovia isn't necessarily a stand-in for Serbia, but any of the eastern European countries screwed up in the wake of the collapse of communism.  Much of the Balkans would fit the bill.  What's the cliche about Serbian villains though? I can't think of that many of hand.

HarryTrotter

^Obviously you are not familiar with a lot of bad movies.Or the NCIS-verse.
Others could fit,but the usage of Serbian Cyrilic is a pretty big coincidence.Even the MCU wiki points that out.And The Twins backstory echoes NATO bombing of Serbia in 1999.
Jon Farmer