Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Seasons Greetings!

Author Topic: Marvel Movies  (Read 17718 times)

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
Re: Marvel Movies
« Reply #570 on: February 09, 2018, 09:11:38 PM »
Okay, Black Panther's coming out next week and we've been getting more and more tidbits about the movie over the last few months.  I just saw something that gave extended clip and dialogue that provided a pretty key plot point of the movie that I don't think has been done before.  Alas, I'm not the biggest BP fan and don't know if this is something that's been done in the comics.... with him.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:16:32 PM by Shogunn2517 »

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #571 on: February 10, 2018, 12:24:55 AM »
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #572 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »
So I just saw the movie today.  I definitely recommend it! Here are my spoiler free thoughts, but in a spoiler box (then inside another spoiler box will be my spoilers, too).

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #573 on: February 15, 2018, 08:26:04 AM »
In the comic (at least things I read),he has Batman-esque kevlar costume.And in the realm of fiction kevlar=magical force field.So there is that. :)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #574 on: February 16, 2018, 10:48:40 PM »
This will trigger some people but I cant help but notice...there is a lot of hype about Black Panther being the FIRST movie about a black superhero.Did Marvel forgot they mad 3 Blade movies,almost 20 years ago?
Only one was good,but thats neither here nor there.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
« Reply #575 on: February 16, 2018, 11:45:25 PM »
I have heard that pointed out elsewhere, actually. I wonder if it's supposed to be the first African superhero as opposed to African American. Even if you ignored Blade, there's also Catwoman (since it starred Halle Berry), Spawn (since Al Simmons was a black man before he became Spawn) and some other more obscure films such as Meteor Man and Blank Man (though both of those were comedies).

In any case, did you mean Blade 1 or Blade 2?

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #576 on: February 17, 2018, 12:48:24 AM »
Or the fact that Comet Man and Steel happened before then...

Or that Shaft (perhaps the first black "superhero" on screen) came even beforehand...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline Panther_Gunn

• Villains' worst nightmare come true
  • Titans
« Reply #577 on: February 17, 2018, 12:56:22 AM »
Or the fact that Comet Man and Steel happened before then...

Or that Shaft (perhaps the first black "superhero" on screen) came even beforehand...

I think we're *all* trying to forget that Steel happened.....   :ooh
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #578 on: February 17, 2018, 12:59:31 AM »
The other was Meteor Man...not Comet Man, my mistake.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #579 on: February 17, 2018, 06:19:13 AM »
My thoughts:

First of all, three of the four of my most favorite things are social politics, boxing and comics and that's pretty much Ryan Coogler's entire film resume.  Now to be perfectly honest, I was pretty underwhelmed by his first few movies.  Fruitvale Station was okay, but it just seem really weirdly cut.  Creed was extra long and all over the place and I really wish it just did what Rocky did and "paint-by-the-numbers" but it didn't.  So I didn't have high expectations for him directing BP.  And as I suspected, I had some of the same problems here too.  Although I enjoyed every minute, it was still pretty long.  Some parts seemed a little too convenient.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.  Killmonger was a great villain.  So was Klaue.  The Dora Milaje were awesome.  Shuri was ridiculously adorable!  And T'Challa of course was cast well and done right.  Visually, the movie was stunning.  The underlying message was pretty meaningful and I really dug it.  And from my side of the fence, you can see where his motivations are.  There are some plotholes that bug me, and like I said, there are parts that I definitely would have trimmed, but definitely worth to watch, whether your a fan of the genre or not, it holds up and is entertaining.

Now some of the spoiler stuff:

Again, it was an overall enjoyable film.  Really hope people don't elect to skip out on this one for whatever reason... particularly since... it's reasonable to want to watch this movie.  As a fan or not.

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #580 on: February 18, 2018, 12:55:04 AM »
So some of the numbers are in.  Sounds like it's now the 6th best movie for the opening 3 days of all time, and best pre-summer blockbuster period.  It's currently above Civil War and for four days will pass Age of Ultron.  To say it's a major success is putting it mildly.  It looks like some of the reviews put it as the second best of the Marvel films after Winter Soldier, although of course every individual will have very different opinions regarding that.

Still the people behind this film all deserve a huge congratulations.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.