Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Celebrate Freedom!

Author Topic: Marvel Movies  (Read 22998 times)

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
Re: Marvel Movies
« Reply #600 on: March 26, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
In other news, Black Panther just beat Avengers as the highest grossing superhero film of all time!
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #601 on: April 24, 2018, 04:54:46 AM »
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #602 on: April 24, 2018, 05:18:23 AM »
I mean, I feel like the placement on this one was deliberate, and it's not like the last teaser where there was NOTHING Venom related in the Venom trailer.

That said, PLEASE tell me the pronunciation of "sym-bye-oat" is just the british version or something... because it would be assenine if they truly did fruit up pronouncing "symbiote" in the GD Venom movie.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #603 on: April 26, 2018, 11:14:23 PM »
Posted without comment:
http://textsfromsuperheroes.com/post/173308521566/symbiote

Also, what the heck is up with Hardy's Jerry Lewis-esq delivery of his lines?  Who thought that was a good idea?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:18:25 PM by BentonGrey »
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #604 on: April 27, 2018, 05:35:49 PM »
So I will give credit where it's due: the cgi for Venom looks good. It's got a nice, shiny, wet look that a certain... Other version did not. It looks like venom. Even the awkward bits (that bike scene is... Eh) are more coreography based then with the symbiote itself.

I'm sorry, but I STILL remember an early sm3 trailer which had Tobey awkwardly tearing off the rubber black suit... And it NEVER looked right to me. So it's worth noting that this model looks so much better. I just hope Hardy let's them USE it.

Still, the story side has me a bit nervous... The setup in the trailer feels like it could work with the villains being the third tier symbiotes from separation anxiety (Scream being mainstream would be cool) but I know the studio would REALLY be pushing for Carnage... And I just don't seem him fitting this film unless some nonsense happens. Like, the CEO becomes Carnage... Disregarding the fact that he'd be Carnage in name (and appearance) only.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly Carnage's biggest fan (eff everything to do with red goblin. It's so dumb) but if you're gonna play that card, it better be full on mass murdering Cletus Cassidy Carnage. Otherwise, save it for another film. You've got enough going on.

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #605 on: April 27, 2018, 08:18:04 PM »
Okay, turning to page to Infinity War, which I saw last night... First the non-spoiler thoughts:

Wasn't quite what I was expecting.  It was fun to see ALL these characters come together.  They weaved the storylines together as seemlessly as they did with the original Avengers blending the newer franchises(Black Panther, GOTG, Spider-Man) in.  The action scenes, I was originally told was fully of shaky cam CGI and I disagree.  They were fast-paced and a lot going on, but you can tell they stepped it up a level.  Naturally the movie had such an epic scale I jokingly told my friend they can't release this movie on DVD because it should only be seen on a big screen.

But unfortunately, the parts that drug it for me was some of the slower parts.  I don't know if it was because it was late, but it was painfully slow in spots and the main thing that bugged me was the ending.... that ending thou...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Take it for what you will.  Just my thoughts.

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #606 on: April 28, 2018, 12:32:26 AM »
...one name concerning who "may" take the gauntlet: Adam Warlock...just tossing out that potential...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #607 on: April 28, 2018, 05:13:09 PM »
Just saw Infinity War with a bunch of friends this afternoon. We all loved it. Such a great cast that all hadd amazing chemistry together. Especially between the Chris's.
I laughed so often, and will probably be quoting from the movie for a long time to come.
Also something really unusual happened to us. Since we live in Korea, usually foreigners like me will laugh at references or sayings before Koreans get it(if they understand the humor at all) but in this movie there were a few instances where they were reading the subtitles faster than the actor saying the lines, and we couldnt even hear the line because the audience was laughing so hard. Im not even mad about it, actually pretty happy that so many people enjoyed the movie.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #608 on: April 28, 2018, 11:42:51 PM »
It's sounding pretty great!  We're going to see it tomorrow, and I'm quite excited!  I may have to play some Marvel Adventures tonight to celebrate.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #609 on: April 29, 2018, 12:36:07 AM »
Holy COW! What an AMAZING movie! 10/10 for me!

SPOILERS

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #610 on: April 29, 2018, 02:53:37 AM »
Spyder,

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
« Reply #611 on: April 29, 2018, 07:08:42 AM »
So I saw it, really enjoyed it. Not much to say other than it's a lot of fun, all the different personalities playing off each other was very entertaining, Thanos was really damn good,. James Gunn oversaw the Guardians scenes and it shows because the humor is on point. Mantis is still adorable, she and Drax are still adorable together, and Batista still has great comedic chops as Drax. And I have issues with the ending. I'm kinda with agreement with Shogunn about it. More in the spoilers:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:50:32 PM by Silver Shocker »
"If you put out a story that needs supplementary reading in order for it to be coherent, then's it's a BAD story! If you thought it was that important, you shoulda put it in the actual damn comic!"
~Linkara, Atop the Fourth Wall Final Crisis review

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #612 on: April 29, 2018, 06:47:41 PM »
Wow. Silver Shocker... that was a Mouth. Full.  I think you about covered all your bases bruh. Lol. You said more than I did. More than I wanted but sheesh. Thanks for saying it and giving me cover.

Let me add some color:

Trust me there's a lot to like but I'm positive I'll like the whole thing more after Avengers 4.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #613 on: April 29, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »
On a somewhat related note,so far Captain Marvel promises to be the most generic thing ever.
Also,I saw several articles along the line of "trend for female lead superhero movies to be set in the past", which is pretty funny considering we only have Wonder Woman so far.Or at least in the past 10 or so years,before somebody corrects me.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #614 on: April 30, 2018, 01:50:44 AM »
HT, you've said many times you don't like origin stories in superhero movies and shows, and I normally don't have that problem, but with Captain Marvel I'm kinda weary of it. Add to that it's a period piece (taking place in the nineties. the 90's now classifies for a "period piece". Boy that makes me feel old) and the potential for tie-ins and cameos could be more limited. I think we've been spoiled by Spider-Man and Black Panther at this point. Though at least, unlike Spider-Man, noone knows who Captain Marvel is in the movie landscape so it's not like Spider-Man again, Batman again, Superman again.

Shogun:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:31:47 AM by Silver Shocker »
"If you put out a story that needs supplementary reading in order for it to be coherent, then's it's a BAD story! If you thought it was that important, you shoulda put it in the actual damn comic!"

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #615 on: April 30, 2018, 02:54:36 AM »
Well guys, I loved it. Unabashedly, unreservedly, I loved it. For those that are interested, I'll post a review and some reflections. Spoilers afterwards in their box. Be warned, I have plenty to say.

Shogunn, SS, I've got a response to your points in my first spoiler-y section as well.

This is, simply put, fantastic in every sense of the word.  Interestingly, the response seems to have been overwhelmingly positive from both critics and fans, but the few complaints I've seen tend to be posited on a rejection of the boisterous, imaginative nature of the Marvel Universe.  I feel like the people who complain about the lack of weight for dire events in a story with 'magic jewels that can do anything' have let the world beat too much of the imagination out of them.

It's worth noting that this film is the culmination (or the first half it), of a decade of storytelling and adventure, and it is a worthy ending. Think about that for a moment. Marvel began this journey in 2008 with Iron Man, and since then the universe has grown, the characters have evolved, and it all built towards this moment. That is an incredible feat.

This is a film that takes advantage of all of the sprawling world that has been created, that draws on long established characters and relationships, on a familiarity and an affection that can only be created piece by piece, as they did. And that gives it a power that is unprecedented. We are seeing in film the same thing that makes American superheroes unique, the power of collective storytelling, the power of many stories feeding into and informing those that follow, a shared universe creating magnified narrative impact and allowing for a shorthand of expression. That by itself is pretty amazing, but as I said, this is a film that is worthy to wield such power.

Infinity War is huge and sprawling and truly epic. It is a film about loss and heroism and desperate hope, yet it is fun and endlessly exciting, even funny. I imagine everyone who has seen it has described it as 'an emotional rollercoaster,' but though cliched, that is certainly apt. There are a lot of highs and a lot of lows, but it all has weight.

The movie is beautiful, in terms of its wondrous settings and its special effects, which are jaw-dropping and accompany amazing action scenes, but also in terms of the story it tells, which is all about the central conflict of humanity, that of selfishness and the consuming will against love and sacrifice. It's beautifully archetypal, yet the villain has some real personality and pathos to him, being almost sympathetic, despite his monstrousness. Impressively, this film, with so much going on and so many characters vying for space, manages to overcome the Marvel two-dimensional villain weakness. Thanos is memorable and a worthy foe for the gathered heroes from the first moment he appears on screen.

Throughout, the film successfully feels grand in scope and in stakes, with action that spans the universe, a truly creation-shaking plot, and a MASSIVE cast of characters. Yet, and this is perhaps the most impressive piece of the movie's success to me, that humongous cast is incredibly well balanced. Obviously there are characters with more or less screentime, and many of these characters play fairly small roles, but nonetheless, no-one feels shortchanged (among main characters from the movies), with everyone getting at least small and touching moments, as well as big hero moments.

One of the things that I really loved about this movie is that it feels 'right' for the Avengers. It is by no means a direct translation of the comics, and yet it is like all of the Marvel films when they are at their best, taking the source material and elevating, transfiguring it into something else, something even grander and even richer and even more powerful than the original. It also finally feels like the Marvel Universe, with events happening and characters just showing up because they inhabit the same world. The Fantastic Four are really the only ones missing (because the X-Men have always sort of felt like their own thing), but who could notice with everything going on?

So, if you haven't seen it, go. Go while it is in theaters, because if ever a film deserved a big screen viewing, it is certainly this one.

Spoilers below:

First, to SS and Shogunn-

Second, other thoughts in no particular order.

Anyway, all-in-all, this is an exceptional film, close to a perfect movie. I can't wait to see it again.
God Bless

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #616 on: April 30, 2018, 04:08:47 AM »
Saw it just a bit ago. Not going as in-depth rn because I'm still processing, but some spoilery thoughts.

As for the next films...

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #617 on: April 30, 2018, 07:19:54 AM »
One thing I didn't even notice the first time I saw it that some random guy said towards the end...

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #618 on: April 30, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »
Benton:

Indeed, I so focused on the ending that I didn't really praise what an accomplishment this film is. But I knew a LOT of people, both professionally and simply as fans, were going to do that anyway that a lot of what I would say would be redundant. But yeah, that all-points-converging high you get from a movie like this, it could only work if you had a rich world full of incredibly likable compelling characters. Something I've said for years is the MCU recreates the Marvel/DC shared universe experience from the comics (so does DC in is current movies, though not nearly as well) and that's perhaps most true here.

Tom:

In general [SERIOUS SPOILERS for Avengers 4]

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:18:48 AM by Silver Shocker »

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #619 on: April 30, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »

The funny thing about that is, I thought about this playing "Contest of Champions" last week.

Good catch Tomato.

Also, not to keep harping on the ending but, saw something in a article that kinda put in better words what I have a problem with:

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #620 on: April 30, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
Speaking of the Black Order (as Shogunn mentions under the spoiler cut) I forgot to mention: Ebony Maw was great. The rest of the Black Order were as throwaway as throwaway gets, and weren't particularly true to their comics counterparts. But Maw was aces.  :thumbup:

Shogun:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 09:09:31 AM by Silver Shocker »

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #621 on: April 30, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »
Actually that would have made a lot of sense, to do what Captain America did.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #622 on: April 30, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »
Taking inspiration from Cap is always a good play. So much so, that the speech (the "River of Truth" speech paraphrased from Mark Twain, spoken by Sharon Carter in CA: Civil War) that sprang Cap to action, was spoken BY Cap in the comic book Civil War.

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #623 on: April 30, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »
I've lost count on how many times I've shared that speech on FB.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #624 on: May 01, 2018, 02:33:15 AM »
Benton:

Indeed, I so focused on the ending that I didn't really praise what an accomplishment this film is. But I knew a LOT of people, both professionally and simply as fans, were going to do that anyway that a lot of what I would say would be redundant. But yeah, that all-points-converging high you get from a movie like this, it could only work if you had a rich world full of incredibly likable compelling characters. Something I've said for years is the MCU recreates the Marvel/DC shared universe experience from the comics (so does DC in is current movies, though not nearly as well) and that's perhaps most true here.
Yeah, it's pretty amazing, and this movie really is the payoff of pretty much everything that came before.

Ha!  Fair enough.  ;)  Yet, I still think there is some truth to the assertion in this context, on multiple levels.

SS, fascinating!  Very interesting!

On another note, the more I think about it, y'all are right about Hawkeye:

In terms of Thanos, this is sort of a minor thing, but why in the name of all that's good and holy did they end up going with that bald-headed look for him for the overwhelming majority of the film?  He looked perfect, intimidating, and straight out of the comics when he first showed up.  And he looked a lot more dignified than the look they went with.  What a weird choice!
God Bless

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #625 on: May 01, 2018, 03:57:29 AM »
About Thanos' armor

Also

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #626 on: May 01, 2018, 08:26:47 PM »
Tomato:

Yeah, but you were still the one who pointed out here. I personally missed that visual detail. The next time I see the film I'll watch to watch carefully for that.

Quote from: Tomato

As for Thanos' armor, yeah, I prefer him wearing his full armor, but I got used to the bald-headed look by the time the film came out due to it being featured prominently in the trailers.

Are you referring to what I said about Cap's River of Truth speech or that Avengers 4 set photo I posted a link to?

If it's the speech, it was also used in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 video game in the form of an audio log, where it was said by Cap, as in the Civil War comic tie-in issues (the specific series was Amazing Spider-Man)

If it's the set photo:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:34:31 PM by Silver Shocker »

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #627 on: May 01, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »
About Thanos' armor

I understand that, 'Mato, and you're not wrong.  Still, as you indicate, it was only necessary for a fraction of the time it was used.  I think it would be a good deal more effective if:

He just looks a tad silly.  It annoyed me that they would deliver the perfect look and then immediately discard it.  This is, of course, a very minor complaint.

Are you referring to what I said about Cap's River of Truth speech or that Avengers 4 set photo I posted a link to?

If it's the speech, it was also used in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 video game in the form of an audio log, where it was said by Cap, as in the Civil War comic tie-in issues (the specific series was Amazing Spider-Man)

If it's the set photo:

I was talking about the Avengers 4 observations:

I'm glad that this cheered you up some, man!  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:53:52 PM by BentonGrey »
God Bless

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #628 on: May 01, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »
On Thanos' Armor:

Avengers 4:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:19:56 PM by Silver Shocker »

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #629 on: May 01, 2018, 11:59:07 PM »