Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Spoiler
I thought the cat thing was funny, and I'm ok with just rolling with it tbh. For the big reveal of how Fury lost his eye to be such a mundane stupid thing... It's actually a pretty good twist IMHO. As for his speech to Cap in WS... I'd imagine he's been dropping fake hints about how he lost that eye for so long at this point that using it to shut down an argument from Cap was probably second nature. And... in a way, it *was* a result or trusting something he shouldn't have. If Fury weren't so gaga over the stupid cat monster (that he was warned about REPEATEDLY I might add) and insisted on taking it along despite several warnings, it wouldn't have scratched out his eye.

As for female Mar Vell... I've heard a different accounts on that, TBH. I was reading an interview with Feige where he said they cast Annette Benning as the Supreme Intelligence early on, but weren't sure how to cast Mar-Vell... it was an important role, but one without much to do. He said it was Annette who suggested merging the two roles together (presumably to give herself more to do), and they ran with it and came up with the "person you respect most thing" at that point.

Silver Shocker

Spoiler
Actually, you might be right about Fury just spouting B.S. about the eye.

In the tie-in comic to the Edward Norton Incredible Hulk, Fury sits at a bar with Banner (Banner not knowing who he is yet) and when asked how he lost his eye, he simply answers "The war." the nice thing about that exchange is since Banner doesn't know who he is, there's nothing to say Fury wasn't lying.

Plus, as I mentioned a while back, Fury is the guy who exploited Coulson's death to get the Avengers to learn to work together.

I still don't like it tone wise because it doesn't feel like it meshes with what Winter Soldier was going for. 

QuoteWell,there is a Young Avengers film in the works,so this might be related...

If all the information I've seen and heard pans out the way I'm expecting it to, I'm going to be giddy as a schoolgirl in about a month.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Agent Coulson lashes against "dinosaurs" who dont like the movie.  :lol:
Holy funt,is Kathleen Kennedy your PR manager now?
You could have went with : Give the movie a chance,you might be surprised.Or anything else.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

This was something I was telling a friend of mine on his FB page about the movie. He made a few good points, but another thing that stuck out to me was this:

Spoiler
While I agree with a lot of what you said, very much so, one thing that kinda stuck out to me was that I appreciated how it didn't just fill gaps between Infinity War, but it also seemed like a prequel of sorts to the entire franchise.

One thing that always struck odd to me was when I watched The Avengers over the weekend, Fury was saying "I wanted all the worlds" to see the Avengers kick arse. Now I get they were just invaded by aliens but that was just a one off thing. It could have just been an army Loki found for all he knew. But now, this movie gives that comment more context.  He now knows about the Kree and Skrulls and whole galactic civilizations and it makes more sense that he'd be working on a plan for earth to have their own mightiest heroes to protect against all the "worlds" we now know he knows exist. And it makes sense for him to have been working on this plan well before 2007 and Iron Monger wanting to hostile takeover Stark Enterprises.

Also makes sense using "Avenger" for the title of his plan as well. That also seemed random. Yes, we know that's who they are but in the grand scheme of things it didn't make sense. X-Men are Xavier's men. The Fantastic Four are Four led by the one called Mr. Fantastic. But what were the Avengers avenging when there was no one and no threat to the world? Now we see the impression Captain Marvel made not just on him personally but big-picture wise as well. For someone who was a hero that could protect the Earth to have also gone by the name "Avenger", I can see how he adopts that name for his plan. Marvel was the inspiration for a "Protector Initiative" and he needed a group to show the Chitauri and Kree and Skrulls and others we have our Protectors like Marvel would have been. So he says like Marvel I'll call it the "Avenger Initiative".

Silver Shocker

QuoteAgent Coulson lashes against "dinosaurs" who dont like the movie.  :lol:
Holy funt,is Kathleen Kennedy your PR manager now?
You could have went with : Give the movie a chance,you might be surprised.Or anything else.

Yeah, I've never understood why comic creators, people working on films, and people working on video games, these days (not to say it didn't happen in the past, I'm sure it did) can't just say "Give the movie a chance,you might be surprised." or "Sorry you're not enjoying the current run. If you stick with us, hopefully the upcoming issues will be more to your liking." That's money they could be making.

Spoiler

QuoteOne thing that always struck odd to me was when I watched The Avengers over the weekend, Fury was saying "I wanted all the worlds" to see the Avengers kick arse. Now I get they were just invaded by aliens but that was just a one off thing. It could have just been an army Loki found for all he knew. But now, this movie gives that comment more context.  He now knows about the Kree and Skrulls and whole galactic civilizations and it makes more sense that he'd be working on a plan for earth to have their own mightiest heroes to protect against all the "worlds" we now know he knows exist. And it makes sense for him to have been working on this plan well before 2007 and Iron Monger wanting to hostile takeover Stark Enterprises.

There was also Thor. He might not have met Thor himself during the events of Thor's first movie, but there were others who worked under him who did, and he met with Selvig about the Tesseract.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Spoiler
SHIELD was dealing with aliens for awhile before IM1. AoS season 1 had all kinds of references to alien tech being secured by SHIELD, and it's a kree body (maybe one from the events of CM) that was used to save Coulson.

Silver Shocker

Guess who's back, back again, James Gunn's back, tell yo' friends!
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Its not really a new discovery for me,but people really hated Amazing Spiderman duology.
To each his own,but complaining about being unfaitful to the comics?Homecoming was even worst in that regard.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Yeah, I never got that. One of the big gripes was he was a jerk when he first got his powers and used it to show up Flash at BBall... but like, OG Peter literally went on talk shows and did everything he could to cash in on his powers before Ben's death.

Really though, I think it mainly comes down to the personality of the actor and how close it "feels" to Spider-Man. For me, Maguire was an ok Peter, but an awful SM... people will defend the fact that he made quips, but the delivery is so bad and forced he might as well be silent the whole time. Garfield was the opposite end of the spectrum, where he often went too far on the arrogant to-talky end, but I was ok with it because he felt more real and less of a nerd caricature. But then, I'm also the crazy dude who hates SM2 more than SM3, and I do get that Garfield's SM tended to be grating for people.

Holland seems to fit in a nice sweet spot in the center, where he DOES talk a lot, but it's in the whole "I'm talking because I'm actually kinda freaking out and this is my coping mechanism" flavor that some of the best Spider-Man writing often has.

HarryTrotter

ASM made Peter a sort of cool loser skater and he doesnt really get bulied.And makes his motivation revenge,so that changes the character.But at least its a motivation.As opposed to Homecoming which was Batman Beyond lite.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Does Holland get bullied though? Like, yeah, we have weenie Flash, but you get the sense that no one else takes that seriously. Holland's Peter has a whole social circle: Dan... I mean, Ned, Michelle, Liz, etc. The biggest issue we see him deal with is the fallout from his constant absence.

For real though, Flash is 100% my biggest issue with the MCU version. Michelle is fun, Ned is fine even though I wish they'd have used Danke instead of Ned, etc. But Flash is just... A putz. They were trying to make him a more "modern" bully, but in an age where cyber bullying and abuse is SUCH a big deal, MCU Flash just calls Peter names sometimes.

HarryTrotter

Principal problem there is Peter.Hes not Peter,hes not Spiderman,hes Tony Stark Jr.
Homecoming could even kill Uncle Ben.Hell,Uncle Ben is NEVER mentioned.
Also,for all that talk about consequences,he never suffers any consequences.Except when he loses the suit.But he gets it back.
Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

Eh. Still a better Spider-Man than the two Andrew Garfield movies. Turning the Green Goblin into a hacker was lame, for one thing. (We still haven't had a proper onscreen GG; Dafoe's characterization was dead on, but the costume was Green Goblin as a bad Iron Man knockoff.....)

A perfect on-screen Peter would be a cross between the McGuire and Holland versions, with very little taken from Garfield.

HarryTrotter

Ok,just for fun,outside of names,what does Homecoming share with comics?
Jon Farmer

daglob

The same thing Fant4stic does? :D

Silver Shocker

He lifts a heavy thing!  :D
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

And hes a rich kid who goes to private school and nothing bad really happens to him.Parker luck,indeed.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Avengers Endgame has been confirmed to be 3 hours long.

Lord help us all. We're all going to have to pee so bad when the movie's over.
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

So the next franchise to be launched outside of the Infinity Saga has been announced to be THE ETERNALS.

Most casual fans won't recognize them, just like the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Readily I can recognize at least one, which was speculated and now announced to be the feature character, Angelina Jolie as Sersi.

Couple of other tidbits of news is Kumil Nanjani is in talks to also star, but the male lead is said to be Ikaris and rumor has it they are looking for an "openly gay actor" to play the character. Now, here's the rub. Couple of things actually. Are they looking for an openly gay actor to play a straight character, which I suppose is fairly normal at this point. Or are they looking for an openly gay actor to play an openly gay character, which if you ask me, would be kind of limiting.  If it's the character they want to be openly gay, do they really need an openly gay actor since... it's acting? But honestly, if they can find a suitable actor to portray a character that I know next to little about, what do I care.  And if I don't, I can't imagine general audiences would be that bothered about it. Comic fans however....

But then there's the basis of the character.  Apparently he got his name that he took after his son, Icarus who died.  And with that, he also had a wife, which would suggest the character is straight.

But then there's speculation that this gay character would be Hercules as well.

HarryTrotter

Most casual fans didnt recognize Inhumans either...so it mostly depends on the execution.
Jon Farmer

Panther_Gunn

The Eternals?  Honestly........meh.  They must be aiming for the low-hanging fruit of "what's not tied up in licensed movie rights and what can we make the most changes to so that it will fit however we want with the least amount of people sceaming?".  By my quick count (via Wikipedia) there's been less than 50 issues of their title, total.

Movie franchise I'd like to see before we get down to the Eternals:

The Fantastic Four (if Disney would ever get their heads unlodged & figure out they would make way more in profits than it would cost to get the rights back)
Namor (tied up in above)
Silver Surfer (tied up in above)
The Defenders (seriously doubt that'll ever happen)
The Invaders (probably tied up enough in the FF rights)
The Inhumans (probably a dead property since they killed it on TV)
Daredevil (doubtful since it was "covered" on Netflix)
Powerman/Iron Fist (see Netflix reason)
Alpha Flight (probably tied up in the X-Men rights)
Excalibur (also tied up in X-Men rights ... Although, why can't we get a Capt Britain & Meggan movie ...... oh, yeah, because enough American audiences wouldn't care enough about a British hero)
Deathlok
Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)
Moon Knight (wasn't that on Netflix also?)
Nova (Richard Rider)
She-Hulk (I think the Byrne title format could work well)
Power Pack (maybe)

Not really holding my breath for any of those, although from what I read/remember, Power Pack has the best chance out of all of them.

The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

HarryTrotter

They got FF and X-men back.Namor...I think its with Universal,or did they got him back or its some weird deal like with Hulk solo movies...there is something.
Oh and you mentioned Alpha Flight and Excalibur...expect somebody to show up and explain how thats tottaly crazy.  :rolleyes:

I cant say if American audience would care for Captain Britain,but if you made is as bland and unoffensive as possible you could still make a killing in China.And you dont have Winnie the Pooh in the movie,thats the most important part. 🙂
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

They're also moving forward with a Black Widow movie. They've got screenwriters, a director, and some co-stars cast, so that's apparently happening.

They've also working on Shang-Chi. That one might be tricky... If Marvel's able to, I'd personally try to get Iron Fist, Colleen Wing, ect into that one because, well, that just seems like a good idea. On the other hand, it could work out in a similar way to Black Panther. Crazy Rich Asians with superheroes? Hmm...

I'd be interested in all of the ones Panther-Gunn mentioned....

QuoteDeathlok
Showed up in Agents of Shield quite a bit, so I'm not sure if they'd do it as a movie. They did create a new character to be Deathlok though, instead of the comic versions.

QuoteMoon Knight (wasn't that on Netflix also?)

I double checked this on Wikipedia: [EDIT] I originally said Netflix for some reason]

-Namedropped in Blade: The Series (I remembered that one)
-GotG's James Gunn has publicly said he pitched a Moon Knight to Marvel Studios.
-They had a few plans years ago for a Moon Knight tv series that fell through. I vaguely recall them talking about doing Moon Knight in the Netflix stuff. Apparently Marvel Studio's Kevin Feige said last year they plan to eventually have Moon Knight appear in the MCU.
-He's appeared in the current batch of cartoons, specifically Avengers Assemble. As a policy Marvel tends to avoid using characters in those shows that would be seen as "promoting" properties Fox owned the rights to (hence Wolverine and the Thing only appeared in early seasons....though Mesmero did appear much later). So they probably consider Moon Knight one of "their" characters. This policy, I imagine, will be reversed in the coming years now that Disney has bought the Fox stuff back.

QuoteNova (Richard Rider)

I'm actually expecting Nova to make into the MCU in the future (as a actual superhero and not simply the Nova Corps)
I did have concerns about how they reconciled the comics version with the non-powered Space Cops from GotG but 1. We know from Infinity War that Thanos went down to Xander to curb-stomp them and get Ronan's Infinity Stone. I'm expecting us to learn more about that in a later film (or is it hoping?) and a superpowered Nova could spin out of the aftermath of that. And 2. The GotG cartoon reconciled the two versions by using a tweaked version of the backstory from the Sam Alexander version. Speaking of which, sorry to say, but I would guess it'd be Sam rather than Richie. I'm personally expecting that when we get the Young Avengers they'll be a combination of the Allen Heinberg/Jim Cheung lineup and the modern incarnation of the Champions. So you'll have say Hulkling, maybe the Teen Vision, but also Ms. Marvel, Sam, ect. Feige has said they plan to add Kamala Khan in the future and I'd guess (while you could add her to a Captain Marvel sequel) they'd probably consider a teen team movie less of a gamble than a solo outing (it's worked out elsewhere: Into the Spider-Verse, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, ect)

QuoteShe-Hulk (I think the Byrne title format could work well)

I've actually been saying for a while I'm surprised they haven't done She-Hulk. I know Marvel hates to have to pay Universal for Hulk stuff (side note - the two Hulk movies just came back to Netflix in some territories so maybe the Edward Norton Hulk leaving Netflix last year wasn't part of the Disney Purge, as I originally thought) but regardless She-Hulk kinda felt like a really obvious one to me. She's a pretty well known Marvel character who isn't tied up in the X-Men stuff, and you can have some fun with the character. I think they've have to figure out how to do the character (CGI like Hulk and Thanos? Green makeup like Drax and Gamorra? Partial CGI like Mantis?) And that might be what's held it back.

QuotePower Pack (maybe)

Double checking Wikipedia, that one was talked about in 2017 as part of MCU and something similar to Spy Kids. I'd personally bet good money on that going the standalone animated movie route (like Big Hero Six and Into The Spider-Verse). Child actors aging too fast has always been a concern in the filmaking industries and child labor laws on how many hours you can make child actors work might be a concern with the conveyor belt well-oiled machine that is the MCU. Well that or they age the kids up to teenagers and have them played by 20-somethings (which admittedly, they are very much older in the 616 comics, but in an adaptation, it would kinda undercut the whole appeal of Power Pack)

Personally I'm still hoping for Thunderbolts in the future. Let's also not forgot Disney's really trying to make MCU spinoff shows on their streaming service a thing (and actual characters from the films at that: Falcon, Loki, Scarlet Witch, Vision...) so that opens a lot of opportunities.
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

They rushed and ruined Inhumans, so I guess Eternals is trying to make up for that? Sweep one under the rug, grab the other.
Is Sersi going to join the Avengers?
I liked the Inhumans a bit more, but whatever. I'm down for the ride to see what they do in the movies. Change them up, hit or miss, whatever.
(Though I'm still secretly hoping Dr. Strange becomes less "Tony Stark" and more "actually cool, powerful, master of the mystic arts." I would also be way down for an actual Defenders at some point [Why wasn't that Netflix show called Heroes for Hire??], especially if they brought in Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie.)

I really hope Black Widow is just a super dope spy movie. It could be so good.

Shang-Chi made as error correction to Iron Fist could be good too, I agree. Just make a cool Kung Fu movie.

I guess I've been repeating this sentiment. Just make cool movies, and don't worry about making "super hero movies" that tie in everywhere.

I would still totally watch a She Hulk show that was basically Ally McBeal with the occasional super fight.

Tomato

I don't think Eternals/Inhumans is a fair comparison. Eternals was apparently a choice made in house by Marvel Studios, and seems to fall into the same category as GotG... IE: characters fans kinda know about that have some history in the comics to draw from, but with a lack of hardcore fan attachment that allows filmmakers to do their own thing with the material. Inhumans... well, I had a whole rant written up about THAT mess, but I've expressed that frustration enough by now. In short it was the result of some executive meddling rather than creative desire, and boy did it show.

HarryTrotter

Yeah...only Eternal are even more obscure then Inhumans.And nobody gave a cr@p about them.
It could work with a good execution,but its probably going to be another attempt at finding X-men replacements.

BTW,now that James Gunn is back,can we get that Thunderbolts movie he proposed?
Jon Farmer

cranlox

Amazing, spectacular Endgame!
I could see the movie as always in avant and I thought it was the best!
Endgame♥x3000! :thumbup:

Tomato

I see it Sunday. That said, Given how fast tickets are sold out, I feel like spoilers should be used for at least a couple weeks. That said, I have a theory that I'm gonna spoiler JIC (since part of it is based on information not everyone is tied into) so.

Spoiler
I'm pretty sure going in that Quicksilver's in there somewhere. We know there's time shenanigans, Ultron was in one of the trailers, and there were rumors of Aaron Taylor Johnson being on set back when it was being filmed (he's said that's not true, but that means nothing for a film where "the title wasn't said in Infinity War".

Moreover, and this is something as a figure guy I know... we're getting figures of pretty much every MCU character that was ever glossed over (I'm talking Luis from Ant-man, Peggy Carter from CA1, and Michelle/MJ from Homecoming)... EXCEPT Quicksilver. That's not because of rights issues (there's a comic Magneto, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch 3 pack coming) so... why is he SPECIFICALLY being snubbed? Well... there's ~2 Endgame figures that haven't been revealed yet. If he's in there in a more significant capacity than "background character" it makes sense to keep it hush hush... and they have the "rights issues" to hide behind so questions don't get asked.

My theory is that among the ones sacrificing themselves will be Hawkeye/Ronin, and in doing so will somehow swap places with Quicksilver. They've implied pretty heavily with his Emo-ness in the trailers that the Bartons were snapped, so Clint has plenty of reason to sacrifice himself if it means bringing them back. And Quicksilver, like Wanda, is powered by one of the stones. If Pietro's resurrection would turn the tide, even if it meant his own death as a trade off, Clint would do it.

cranlox

All I get answer is spoiler or something very close.
Just go see it!

Shogunn2517

So I just saw it. And while I liked this VERY much more than Infinity War, thought this was quite the epic bow to put on the entire saga.

But...

I can't help but to have a TON of questions, since they decided to mess with the one thing that causes headaches in film history.

Spoiler
TIME TRAVEL!

This was pretty much Time Bandits with superheroes.  And all the perils that comes with time travel in film(they literally listed like all of them!  :lol:).

So their big plan was to use the Quantum Realm to manipulate time to go back and get all the stones before Thanos gets them and then bring them back like nothing happened... But everything did happen.

First of all, how did they get the Mind Stone back in the scepter, the Reality Stone back in Jane and the Space Stone back in the Tesseract?  I suppose he could have put the Power Stone back in the Orb, but is Captain America just going to walk up to the Red Skull and say "hey we don't need this anymore"? I suppose the Time Stone is easy.

But let's say Captain America(Steve Rodgers) puts all the stones back where they came from.  Take the Space Stone back to the base, it ends up on Mar-Vell's lab, Fury gets it, gives it to the Flerken, who spits it out for S.H.I.E.L.D. who plays with it for the next fifteen years until Loki takes it, then the Avengers get it, then Loki gets it back and uses it....

So Thor doesn't take him back to Asgard. He survives and if he is not imprisoned, does he help Thor fight Malekith?  And if he's not there, how does this affect Thor 3 too? Of course he's not there in Thor 3 and Thanos can't take it from him in Infinity War, even if he were alive, which he's not, so I suppose that doesn't matter.

And so.... if Thanos is dead... What does this do for Guardians of the Galaxy?  Thanos is dead.  Does he send Ronan to go after the Orb? If that doesn't happen, do the Guardians of the Galaxy have a reason to even exist now?  What about Gamora? Did she stay in the present(her future)?  Does she go back?  Does she eventually meet Quill?

But wait a minute...

Let's assume ALL of the stones go back to all their same spots.... And Thanos is killed when he goes to the future.  But when all the stones go back and time is still a constant Thanos' role is still the same. He still sends Loki to get the Tesseract(by giving him the Mind Stone(still haven't figured out why he would ever do that to begin with(but whatever, we'll go with it))) and he still sends Ronan to get the Power Stone.... And the only way he goes to the future is because he found Nebula, who was there to get the Power Stone, but if the Power Stone is back and technically she wasn't there, Thanos doesn't capture her, he doesn't send Past-Nebula back in place of Present-Nebula and he doesn't come to the Future/Present because he would just be on the same path that he was on from the beginning... since ALL the stones are back where they were... right?

So the Time Stone was easy. He just goes back to the Ancient One and says "here you go thanks".  Assuming he gets the Mind Stone back into the Scepter(don't know how), when does this happen again? Loki has it, then Black Widow has it, then S.H.I.E.L.D./Hydra has it.  But Present-Steve gets it from them and he runs into Past-Steve, who he puts to sleep and then Present-Steve gives it to Present-Ant-Man.  But when does Future-Steve gives it back to Loki/S.H.I.E.L.D./Hydra/Past-Steve/Present-Ant-Man. Also, why wouldn't Past-Steve wake up and tell everyone "Yo! Some guy who was me stole the Scepter!"  And does anyone not care that that happened?

And everything went well and the Avengers save the world, the universe, Captain America puts all the stones back. But Steve decides to not come back. He goes back to Peggy.  So he just lives his life and becomes Mr. Mom for the next 80 years?  Who's shield did he steal?

Wait... if all the stones go back, Thanos just gets all the stones again... but the Space Stone, which is (Norse)God knows where.  And if he can't get stones then he doesn't decimate the universe and if he doesn't do that then none of Infinity War happens.  And if none of Infinity War happens then none of Endgame happens. And if none of Endgame happens then Steven not only doesn't go back, he doesn't have to go back and couldn't even if he wanted to.  Which means he doesn't get to grow old with Peggy, steal someone's shield and gives the shield to Sam.  None of that can happen because the Space stone is in the wind.

And if the Space Stone is in the wind as of 2012.... How in the hell do we even watch this movie?

And why is Ned still in high school?

I'm sure there are things I'm missing.  Maybe things wrapped up neater than I'm thinking.  Maybe things didn't and there are things that I didn't even catch. But this is the problem with time travel as a plot device.  Conceptually it just causes problems.  Not just for a movie plot device, but morally speaking should you do it?  The problem is everything HAS to happen the way it happens for everything else TO happen.  Because if it doesn't then it's pretty much removing the bottom block of Jenga.

Jeez, the more I think about this the sillier it gets.  I mean, it was fun to watch, but it's making less and less sense to me.

Am I the only one? I gotta be missing something, right?