Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: Marvel Movies  (Read 41928 times)

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
Re: Marvel Movies
« Reply #750 on: May 06, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »
Yeah...I don't know how I feel about that.  It looks like fun, but that seems like rather a big departure if, as SS says, they're telling the truth.  Hmm.  Also:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey2

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #751 on: May 06, 2019, 04:15:31 PM »
Sort of how they made Tony into Uncle Ben?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
« Reply #752 on: May 06, 2019, 11:59:15 PM »
Benton:

Wait,is that...Spoony?  :D
Okay,that kid at the end kinda looks like Spoony.

Are you talking about Flash? Because I went back and checked the end of the trailer and if it's not Flash I'm not sure who you're talking about.
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #753 on: May 07, 2019, 04:23:10 AM »
Yes.And I have to get some new material. ☺
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #754 on: May 08, 2019, 01:29:04 PM »
I just remembered something I'd forgotten for like two weeks since Avengers came out.

Thor really needs to stop doing that thing where he summons his weapon to his hand, indoors, several doors away. Seriously, Thor, it's a d*ck move. They made a joke out of it in Ragnarok but they do it again in Endgame (you can see it in some of the trailers) and the movie doesn't call attention to it.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline stumpy

• treselgonian dementialist
  • Administrator
« Reply #755 on: May 12, 2019, 04:44:40 AM »
SS, regarding Thor's weapon summoning: Agreed and that's bothered me for a while. Obviously, it is more than just rude to have Thor's gear destroying walls and so on as it answers his call. These are often occupied areas. The odds that someone gets smooshed by a flying hammer or axe get pretty high after a while. Maybe the idea is that these weapons are smart enough to do some path planning around obstacles, which I would find totally believable and which I think I have seen in the comics. But, I don't recall ever being shown that in the MCU, and it would have been easy (and kind of cool) to have shown.

Currently reading: High Mage (The Spellmonger Series) by Terry Mancour
Just finished reading: Pelya (The Dralin Trilogy) by John H. Carrol

Offline kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #756 on: May 12, 2019, 02:19:07 PM »
Yeah...I don't know how I feel about that.  It looks like fun, but that seems like rather a big departure if, as SS says, they're telling the truth.  Hmm.  Also:

The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #757 on: May 12, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #758 on: May 28, 2019, 10:14:56 AM »
Well,I saw Captain Marvel.It was...a thing.Nick Fury was the highpoint as everyone said.Oh and Skrulls are a metaphor for illegal immigration.In case you missed that.Im not sure how you could,but thats the whole point.
Jon Farmer

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #759 on: May 28, 2019, 06:08:57 PM »
Ehh, I don't think it's nearly as hamfisted as all of that. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #760 on: May 28, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »
Its not really subtle,either. ☺️
Jon Farmer

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #761 on: May 31, 2019, 03:19:46 AM »
Well coming from someone who worked in politics for most of his adult life, I never picked up on it.

And as I think about it now....

I still don't see it.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #762 on: May 31, 2019, 03:54:13 AM »
Well, you can certainly make a case for it:
God Bless

Offline stumpy

• treselgonian dementialist
  • Administrator
« Reply #763 on: May 31, 2019, 04:19:34 AM »
I didn't have a problem with the lightly-drizzled-with-recent-headlines aspect of Captain Marvel, though I didn't think it was especially subtle, either. The story template that the-supposed-bad-guys-might-not-really-be-so-bad isn't that original, but it was a serviceable framework for a story. I just don't think they really took it very far.

If there was a problem with the script, it was that Captain Marvel herself doesn't seem very transformed by the events portrayed. I mean, for an origin story, she seems pretty much the same person at the end as at the start, just with a slightly better memory of how she got there. Of course, she ends up with less to limit the overpowered nature of the character, but that may not really be growth and I would argue that it makes it harder to fit the character into team-up movies. It also seemed like the acting from BL was a little on the wooden side. She's capable of better, so maybe that's another script or directing issue.

The movie is okay, but I don't see a persuasive case that it's among the top in the MCU.
Currently reading: High Mage (The Spellmonger Series) by Terry Mancour
Just finished reading: Pelya (The Dralin Trilogy) by John H. Carrol

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #764 on: May 31, 2019, 04:59:13 AM »
Well coming from someone who worked in politics for most of his adult life, I never picked up on it.

I still don't see it.
Thats an appeal to authority.
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #765 on: May 31, 2019, 10:38:02 PM »
Different people get different things out of movies, tv shows, comic book storylines, ect. For example, I know someone who thinks Riri William's current armor doesn't look like Hornet. I went back and compared the two again, and was unsurprised to see that they looked even more similar than I first thought.

In terms of Captain Marvel, I've not seen the film, so I can't comment on that firsthand. Not that I really care to get into a political topic about it mind you.

If there was a problem with the script, it was that Captain Marvel herself doesn't seem very transformed by the events portrayed. I mean, for an origin story, she seems pretty much the same person at the end as at the start, just with a slightly better memory of how she got there. Of course, she ends up with less to limit the overpowered nature of the character, but that may not really be growth and I would argue that it makes it harder to fit the character into team-up movies. It also seemed like the acting from BL was a little on the wooden side. She's capable of better, so maybe that's another script or directing issue.

The movie is okay, but I don't see a persuasive case that it's among the top in the MCU.

I get the sense that is/will be a common opinion. The origin movies tend to be the lesser films in the MCU. Doctor Strange, I would say is about par with a Phase 1 MCU film. Ant-Man, which I really, really like, due to having a natural bias for the character/property, also would be on the lower run of MCU films IMO. Black Panther and Spider-Man I don't count in these because they were introduced in Civil War and the MCU skipped Spidey's origin entirely.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #766 on: May 31, 2019, 11:08:30 PM »
Yeah Stumpy, I pretty much entirely agree.  It was a good, entertaining film, but I think Captain Marvel was, in many ways, one of the least interesting things about it.  Honestly, my only real complaint is that I felt she was rather badly cast.  I've heard that Larson is a good actress (and I thought she did a fine enough job), but she really seemed a poor fit in the roll to me.  She seemed far too 'normal' for the soldier/warrior bad-a that she is supposed to be in the film.  I just didn't really buy her in the role.  I feel like it would be the equivalent of casting Mark Ruffalo as Captain America.  And yeah, they've made her so powerful that I have no idea how in the world they'll fit her into any team movies.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, and Nick Fury steals every scene he's in, to no-one's surprise. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:12:28 PM by BentonGrey »
God Bless

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #767 on: May 31, 2019, 11:49:20 PM »
I'll watch it eventually for Nick Fury and the cat. And Jude Law. And Ben Mendohlson. And Gemma Chan.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #768 on: June 01, 2019, 06:54:58 AM »

I still don't see it.
Thats an appeal to authority.

I don't even know what that means.

The thing is, I'll have to see it again, but the Skrulls weren't really about assimilation. They might have been refugees, but it ain't like Central American refugees are the only refugees in the history of refugees.  Of course there might be similarities, but Talos was all about finding his family and finding a home. Not about living the American Dream. The bigger theme was the Kree vs Skrulls.  There's no such war theme in the Immigration debate. And lastly, the Skrulls ultimately left Earth.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #769 on: June 01, 2019, 07:52:51 AM »
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/244/Appeal-to-False-Authority
And no offense,where you worked,has no connection to how other people view the movie.
Jon Farmer

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #770 on: June 01, 2019, 07:07:42 PM »
Why would I be offended? It's your opinion. So as mine. This is not based on a factual subject. It's a matter of perspective. So that link isn't at all relevant to what I was referring to when I stated my work history. I work in politics. I am very familiar with the immigration issue. I have worked with immigrants. I have had to educated the public on issues affecting immigrants and immigration, legal or otherwise. I say this to demonstrate my familiarity with the subject. I never said you are wrong. I never said you don't know what you're talking about or I know better than you or anyone. I'm just saying that looking through my lens, knowing what I have known, I do not see the connection you're alleging. And earlier I told you why.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #771 on: June 01, 2019, 07:55:16 PM »
Which isnt really relevant,unless your trying to prove your the expert on alien immigration here.In which casr,cool I guess?
Jon Farmer

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #772 on: June 01, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »
What are you trying to be an arse for? I expressed an opinion. My opinion. Just like you did. Your opinion is not fact. Your opinion is not truth. It's your opinion. Of course if someone is more familiar with something they'd know what the hell they're talking about. If you said Captain Marvel looks like my mom, I'd say no she don't because I actually know what the frell my mom looks like. But you're talking about something COMPLETELY subjective. And trivial. You think there was some deeper meaning in the movie. Fine. I'm glad you have an opinion. I just don't share it.  What am I supposed to not talk? Am I supposed to agree with you or something? What?

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #773 on: June 02, 2019, 02:50:47 AM »
I'm going to make a comment about this appeal to authority claim, while at the same time making an appeal to authority.  Take that  :P :
(Puts on rhetoric teacher hat)

I feel like, in order for the statement to be fallacious, such an appeal to authority fallacy would have to be a bit more intentional and directed.  Shogunn's point seemed more about establishing his perspective than saying "I know everything about this subject." 

Remember folks, let's be more gracious to each other and not assume that every differing opinion is an attack.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:53:38 AM by BentonGrey »
God Bless

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #774 on: June 02, 2019, 07:55:37 AM »
On an different note:

Now that Disney's bought Fox, lots of "what could have been" info has been coming out about Fox X-Men and FF movies. Unused scripts for Fan4stic, Matthew Vaughn's plans for X-Men if he were to continue with the sequels, Tom Hardy as a younger Wolverine, and most astonishing (pun not intended), a Fox movie featuring X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil (who they had the rights to back then) and Deadpool (back before the Deadpool movies were made). Wow, Fox was trying to literally throw everything at the wall, weren't they? That sounds like it would have been a complete mess.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #775 on: June 02, 2019, 10:10:55 AM »
What are you trying to be an arse for? I expressed an opinion. My opinion. Just like you did. Your opinion is not fact. Your opinion is not truth. It's your opinion. Of course if someone is more familiar with something they'd know what the hell they're talking about. If you said Captain Marvel looks like my mom, I'd say no she don't because I actually know what the frell my mom looks like. But you're talking about something COMPLETELY subjective. And trivial. You think there was some deeper meaning in the movie. Fine. I'm glad you have an opinion. I just don't share it.  What am I supposed to not talk? Am I supposed to agree with you or something? What?
Not disputing that,and I wasnt trying to antagonize you.Its just that I find the take of  "Im an IRL politician so" pretty funny. 😉
Jon Farmer

Offline SickAlice

• Virtual prophet and aspiring beet farmer
  • bing cherry
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #776 on: June 07, 2019, 08:24:17 AM »
I'm still wondering if Wong eventually got a tuna sub.

Offline SickAlice

• bing cherry
« Reply #777 on: June 08, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »
Take or leave it but I spent the hard earned dollar to see Dark Phoenix and, noting those who know me know I tend to find the positive side of comic media, was a complete let down and I want a refund. Just a warning for anyone toying with the idea that it may appeal to them coming from an 80's up X-Men fan. If you want to watch Sophie Turner pretty much full stop you won't be disappointed otherwise it failed to deliver in any sense. I had to watch DOFP after just to get the taste out of my mouth and that taste was pretty funky. Sorry, and I love X-Men as much as I love Ninja Turtles and even managed to find redeeming qualities in X3 but just saying save your dollar and see Endgame again and watch this one when it comes out on television.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #778 on: June 08, 2019, 05:40:26 PM »
Well, I can't say that's surprising....at all....but that's still a shame.  This is pretty much what I've been hearing, and it is also what I expected after the disaster that was the last one.  Also...it doesn't take a genius to know that you can't adapt that amazing story without laying the groundwork for it, and seeing as we JUST meet their new Cyclops and Jean in the last movie and that they had pretty much zero personality, it wasn't a very good bet. :P
God Bless

Offline SickAlice

• bing cherry
« Reply #779 on: June 08, 2019, 08:37:52 PM »
Well again even when it's a dud I can usually scrape something off and if nothing novelty. Not this one. First the plot...well just toss that out. I have no clue what they were thinking with that. So aliens...okay well just people that are supposed to be aliens with monotone behavior. So character development, I mean the past three films introduced a lot...well no. So and not a spoiler here because these are things that are not in the film: One of those cool Quicksilver scenes? Nope, in fact he doesn't star in it other than a cameo. So at the end I'm like well at least Stacy X is in it, that's sort of neat. At home I look online and it's Selene...somehow even though she appears to Stacy X. So that leave The Phoenix Force, who wouldn't pay to see that finally amiright? Well, how do you feel about comic book entities that are represented by clouds of space dust? Yeah...

Anyways big waste of time and it doesn't deliver anything even what it promised which was resolution for the fans. Just five or so actors showing some attitude but more that they're pretty much not into it and done with this franchise. And I mean I wish there was more to it, the franchise over all has given so much and this being the last one and all I would have thought they would want to do at least anything they never got to. Oh Dazzler is in it in her disco costume but again, cameo so you could just as well watch that on Youtube. Sigh. It's only competition is The Secret Life of Pets 2 and it's getting slaughtered by it if that says anything.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:15:00 PM by SickAlice »