Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: Marvel Movies  (Read 40397 times)

Offline Kommando

• 参勤交代
  • Titans
  • 絶対領域
    • http://hachiblue.thecomicseries.com/
Re: Marvel Movies
« Reply #840 on: July 26, 2019, 03:09:12 PM »
The funny thing is, if say for instance a frog found Mjolnir and was found worthy, and became frog Thor, no one would have any issues. :D

Offline Mothgirl

« Reply #841 on: July 26, 2019, 03:13:44 PM »
The funny thing is, if say for instance a frog found Mjolnir and was found worthy, and became frog Thor, no one would have any issues. :D
ThorPepe...I like that. Its got potential. ☺️

Offline Kommando

• 参勤交代
  • Titans
  • 絶対領域
« Reply #842 on: July 26, 2019, 03:27:31 PM »
ThorPepe...I like that. Its got potential. ☺️

Matt Furie might have an issue with that, but no one who uses Pepe's image cares about Intellectual Property rights.

Offline Mothgirl

« Reply #843 on: July 26, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »
In that case the meme transcended the comic it was based on.Not that hard,since all of 3 people read the comic.
Even Family Guy had "Pepe the Alt-right frog".Which also means that meme has been dead for 2 years.

Offline Kommando

• 参勤交代
  • Titans
  • 絶対領域
« Reply #844 on: July 26, 2019, 05:34:45 PM »
In that case the meme transcended the comic it was based on.Not that hard,since all of 3 people read the comic.
Even Family Guy had "Pepe the Alt-right frog".Which also means that meme has been dead for 2 years.

Just because you feel "entitled" to use someone else's intellectual property, doesn't make it right. But right and wrong doesn't matter to those people, and you never see them trying the same stunt with Disney characters. 

For those of you who have not been radicalized by social media and feel the compulsion to make political references into every little thing, my reference to frog Thor was something that actually happened in the comics, back in the good ole days when you could just enjoy stuff without political taint being in every little thing.

Offline Mothgirl

« Reply #845 on: July 26, 2019, 05:58:55 PM »
I was just joking,in case that wasnt obvious.And mentioning a dead meme isnt really a political statment.
Second thing,what happens when your creation takes a life of its own? Do you sue every $hitposter on the net? Or what if YOU become a meme,like Scumbag Steve or Annoying Girlfriend?
Saying "its morraly wrong" doesnt mean anything because thats not how internet works.

Offline Kommando

• 参勤交代
  • Titans
  • 絶対領域
« Reply #846 on: July 26, 2019, 06:07:24 PM »
I was just joking,in case that wasnt obvious.And mentioning a dead meme isnt really a political statment.
Second thing,what happens when your creation takes a life of its own? Do you sue every $hitposter on the net? Or what if YOU become a meme,like Scumbag Steve or Annoying Girlfriend?
Saying "its morraly wrong" doesnt mean anything because thats not how internet works.

Well simple answer. If you are a multi billion dollar corporation, then you can enforce the law on your own IP. If you are not, then you can't. Money can enforce respect, but no amount can buy it. Anyhow this is way off topic now. Semi related, I am friends with author Michael Moorcock, who is not a millionaire, and I watched for YEARS as his lawyers fought game company Chaosium to finally get them to cease and desist use of his Intellectual Property without compensation for DECADES. So it does happen to more famous people.

I liked Far From Home enough to see it in a theater twice, and I actually gave Avengers a miss mostly due to length and a medical condition which makes it hard for me to watch long movies in one go. Tom Holland is certainly my favorite iteration of Spider-Man, and though Far From Home was over the top, for not one moment did I not feel like I was watching a Spider-Man movie, which is good. Amusingly, I saw it the day before I watched Homecoming on Netflix. I wasn't worried about the Avenger spoilers as I am familiar with the source material.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 06:09:09 PM by Kommando »

Offline Mothgirl

« Reply #847 on: July 26, 2019, 06:37:48 PM »
Yes,I know it happened in the comic,and again,it was a joke.
Im not familiar with the case in question,but I assume the company was making games based on Moorcocks books?Thats not really the same as if they posted memes.
But Furrie took it personally, which I can understand, and started a fight he just cant win. Nobody ever beat 4Chan,as far as I can tell.
Big companies do protect their IP, and they have to. But even they pick their battles. Is Disney going to sue St Louis PD for their use of Punisher logo?They could,but its probably not worth it.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #848 on: July 26, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »
<points Benton to the parts wherein he said he had way, way too much on his place nor the time> See my previous post, BG!
Darn, and here I was hoping to provoke DJ into getting back involved more!  :P  Glad to see you around nonetheless, you undead scoundrel. 

Cat, I disagree.  It's far from a perfect analogy, but I think the point is valid.  It's just clearer in their cases because, as you say, their nom de guerre is different from their personal name.  Yet, those are, effectively, their titles, and Thor also has a title, God of Thunder, though it is not his adventuring name.  It's the title, and powers, that a new character inherits, as it is the title that Dick inherits from Batman, etc.  'Mato points out that Erik Masterson went by Thor for a while, but wasn't he actually bonded WITH Thor during that time?  Jane should follow the example of that great amphibian hero, Throg, and be Jhor.  ;)
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/throg/4005-30596/

Also, I sorta' want to read some 'Frog of Thunder' stories now....

Anyway, the whole thing just seems intensely silly to me, whatever justification is used for it in universe. 

In terms of the movie itself, it's interesting that they're sticking with Natalie Portman in the next movie.  I sorta' thought she wasn't interested in doing more Marvel movies.  I suppose a chance to be the heroine instead of the love interest changes things some.  It's a crying shame they killed off Anthony Hopkins' Odin (for many reasons), but it would have been really cool to see him interact with her in light of their little mini-arc from Dark World.

Kommando, nice to see you around.  Glad you enjoyed Homecoming!  You didn't get the sense that it broke from the feel of a Spidey story during some of the big, globetrotting, jet-flying moments?  I enjoyed it plenty, but I definitely felt like it struck a note that didn't resonate with Spidey for me.  Holland, however, was very much Spider-Man, even in those scenes.

You're friends with Moorcock?  How cool!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 08:56:31 PM by BentonGrey »
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey2

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
« Reply #849 on: August 09, 2019, 05:20:55 AM »
So guys, I know this is super out of date at this point, but I've been going through some of those Pitch Meeting videos, and I just watched the Thor: Ragnarok one.  It's hilariuos and a pretty much perfect send-up of everything wrong with that movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2kl4cVc5Dw

I feel somewhat vindicated.

So Benton, I know this is super out of date at this point, but ended up in a sketch-comedy-on-Youtube mood tonight and I finally got around to watching the Pitch Meeting video for Thor: Ragnarok. Yep, you're right, it's pretty much a perfect send-up of everything wrong with that movie.

Letting Jeff Goldblum be Jeff Goldblum as a substitute for actually developing the Grandmaster as a character...yeah, pretty much. I mean, mind you, you could pretty much say the same thing about Grandmaster's fellow Elder of the Universe, The Collector, just being Benicio Del Toro in Guardians. Hmm, considering Thor:R seemed to take after Guardians for the comedy, maybe that's why they ended up going that route?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:23:48 AM by Silver Shocker »
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline SickAlice

• Virtual prophet and aspiring beet farmer
  • bing cherry
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #850 on: August 10, 2019, 08:11:52 AM »
I honestly haven't given much thought to Jane Thor movie. Too far in the horizon to think about it and I'm trying to just absorb what they had made so far and develop a sense of nostalgia towards it. I do give them credit if they are really giving Portman some ample screen time. Love her or loath her Disney does have a good takeaway from her two franchises over and sort of owes her the chance. "If" keyword. Could be a whole five minutes of the film, could be later things change even or she changes her mind about it, it's happened before, again who knows right now.

If they chose to franchise the comic idea I wouldn't blame them either. Stan Lee once said about Ben Reilly "The only thing that sells better than one Spider-man is two of them." which is more relevant in this era I think. Also I think the days of character stake claiming are long past regardless of any feels about it. If Bruce Wayne becomes Superman in canon next month I would raise an eyebrow but wouldn't think twice about it, switcheroo has just become as common in superhero comics as capes are now. I dunno, read the current comic issues? There was something like eight to ten different Thors happening there. And Jane is Valkerie now or something, got to switch your cosplay up every now and then don't ya know.

Either way the next Thor movie just isn't in my solar system right now so eh? I'm also too busy dreaming about a Captain Marvel 2 that takes place in the past after the first and deals with Carol meeting Jessica Jones as Jewel and such. I can dream and will continue to enjoy my headcanon over what ever they really make. Not to say I won't enjoy what they do but like anyone I have this pretty specific to me version of everything laid out in my imagination space and nothing in real life ever matches it.

"In death, a member of Project Thor has a name. His name is Robert Paulson."
Sorry I had to. I regret nothing. Well okay somethings. Everything mostly. I regret everything.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:20:03 AM by SickAlice »

Offline Mothgirl

« Reply #851 on: August 10, 2019, 02:18:46 PM »
If they are casting a female Thor (ok,whatever) they should have probably went with somebody younger and a bit more buffed.But thats just me.

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #852 on: August 12, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »
I'm mostly just worried about Portman not being able to pull off comedy relief as well as Hemsworth.  I don't care who wields Mjolnir, just be as entertaining as Ragnarok por favor.

Offline Mothgirl

« Reply #853 on: August 22, 2019, 05:33:19 AM »
Bye,bye Spiderman. Phase 4 looking more promising by the day.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #854 on: August 22, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »
Don't believe everything you hear. The reported dispute was specifically about Kevin Feige producing the next film, with Disney trying to use that to extort a RIDICULOUS 50/50 split of all profits on the next film. Sony said no, and it's got everyone in a panic over the whole arrangement. However, there are some sources that claim the next Spider-Man film IS still part of the MCU (the contract stipulated it'd continue to a third film if the second made over a billion... it did), and even if it's not... right now, who cares? On the Marvel side, the next films are Black Widow, Eternals, Shang Chi, Dr Strange 2, and Thor 4. None of those films need or should have Spider-Man. And on the Sony front, they've got Morbius, Venom 2, and some other films coming right now. By all accounts negotiations are ongoing, so both sides have time to resolve this before the third SM (if they even need to do so, I'm not 100% on that source.) or Avengers 5 goes into production.

This whole thing, all of it, is a publicity stunt by Disney. They made an outrageous offer, it got rejected, and then leaked proceedings to the press to whip the fanbase into a frenzy and force Sony's hand.

Offline Mothgirl

« Reply #855 on: August 22, 2019, 02:55:15 PM »
Eternals,your perspective example are Eternals? 😂

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #856 on: August 22, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
What? I don't... Spade, I listed all the upcoming MCU films for the next two years to demonstrate that SM isn't needed for any of them.  I didn't use Eternals as an example of anything else, nor was that film specifically singled out in any way. It's not even the first I listed.

Offline Mothgirl

« Reply #857 on: August 22, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »
Who are you talking to?

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #858 on: August 23, 2019, 09:34:44 PM »
Credit for kkhohoho on this one, he brought it to my attention.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ms-marvel-series-works-disney-1234216 -ms marvel show coming to Disney+

Offline SickAlice

• Virtual prophet and aspiring beet farmer
  • bing cherry
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #859 on: September 06, 2019, 09:17:07 PM »
I'm with Tomato here. Things change fast for one and there's a difference between what is truth and what is presentation. Not that long ago we would have been on a comic forum saying Spider-man could never have been in a Disney film because of red tape yet it happened and almost overnight, thus can happen again. Mostly and the same goes for the Hulk it's a tug of war about more money but in reality Sony is no position to make demands, they're media outlet is hurting. But corporate types just don't think like that. When they were losing they made the deal but once Endgame came about they saw profit thus got demanding again. Same goes for Fox here as well. Any company really, it's the way stocks and shares actually work. Think like Ferengi and Rules Of Acquisition. And when it comes to worldwide household products art has less to do with it and the money people have the final say.

Add a pride issue. Toy's R Us is a great example, I used to work for that company. It's "went bankrupt" as anyone now knows but the truth is it was bankrupt two decades ago. They could have preserved it by being a distributor given the popularity of online ordering increasing rapidly or just for a large outlet like Wal-Mart yet they ran it all into the ground out of pride. In the end they tried having us set up kids barbers, no joke, just to try and make the ends meet. That's why they went out. Compare it to comics. Say Image folded, the market just got so bad and they couldn't afford their own overhead. The option would be to sell to a more stable and expansive entity, say DC Comics and Warner Bros. But you know well they would fight that tooth and nail even if it meant burning their own house to the ground because simply it is their child. They created this and it's hard not to have pride in that as much ones own achievements.

Anyways in short I have no doubt the MCU will have these characters in it but they just can't announce that legally right now lest the shareholders retaliate. It's just not profitable for any of these companies to refuse to play ball but it is a matter of a contract every team is satisfied with is all.