Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

Quote from: UnkoMan on January 16, 2021, 06:38:41 PM

I found out that I had watched episode 2 first so had to watch episode 1, oops. Now I realize that... this is pretty much a straightforward story, but told in a unique way.
Not sure how you managed that, but the funny thing is, it basically works anyway with this show.

QuoteI just hope that, in the end, it does't feel like a long commercial for the Dr. Strange movie. I've found a lot of Marvel movies tend to have that feel by the end. Does anybody else pick up that?

To a degree. As I mentioned much, earlier in this thread, I was into a fan theory about this show being a lead in to Dr. Strange: Into the Multiverse of Madness, but with the delays, now I'm not so sure.

Speaking of which, here's a story for you all. Marvel Studios Kevin Feige has confirmed that Deadpool 3 will not only still be rated R, but will also be part of the MCU. The possibilities are endless.

There's also a rumor that

Spoiler
Anya Taylor-Joy's Illyana/Magick from New Mutants will appear in the film (in classic X-Men lore, she is, of course, the sister of Colossus, something the New Mutants film very much avoided bringing up), which....would be pretty darn cool.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Panther_Gunn

So, we've watched both of the first episodes of Wandavision.  I'm liking it, Mrs. Gunn finds it confusing, and the minion enjoys it for what it is.  I've heard of some fan theories as to what's going on so far, and they seem very ... unimaginative.  Here's my current thoughts:

Spoiler
It seems to me that Wanda is being detained somewhere, and something has caused her to create a new reality to retreat into.  I didn't recognize the hexagonal symbol on the desk at the end of episode 1, but the shape is obviously recurring.  The beekeeper makes me wonder if Wanda saw something when she was abducted that a different part of her subconscious is trying to get her to remember.  The classic AIM uniform could look similar, even if they didn't use them in IM3.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Silver Shocker

You beat me to it.

Wanda Vision Ep 3: Ok, it is dragging a bit. But next week's episode should be more interesting.

One thing about the show that bothers me. Vision appears as a human when around other people.....but everyone still calls him Vision, and noone finds that odd, even though Vision had to stress that his wife's "European" as an explanation for some of her suspicious behavior. They apparently didn't want to call him Victor Shade...which is odd since they reference that name in a piece of promotional art.

Speaking of stuff they've hinted at or referenced....

Spoiler
The animated intro to episode 2 featured visual references to Grim Reaper and Bova from Wundagore, art of Wonder Man can be seen in the background of a behind-the-scenes featurette about the show, and a piece of promotional art (that can be seen on the Wandavision sub-menu on D+) shows Wanda with what appears to be her own vesion of Vision's "costume". This is one of the things that makes me think that Vision's Synthezoid family from Tom King's Vision will be appearing in the show (presumably with Wanda herself standing in for Vision's wife Virginia). My running theory is the show will introduce Viv as a kind of combination of herself and Jonas from Young Avengers, as I'm expecting the upcoming MCU version of Young Avengers to be a combination of YA and Champions, since Kamala Kahn/Ms. Marvel is already on the way, as is Kate Bishop Hawkeye, Cassie Lang as Stature/Stinger, Billie and Tommy are now here, groundwork appears to have been laid for Hulkling, Elijah Bradley (grandfather of the YA version of Patriot) is supposedly appearing in Falcon and Winter Soldier, and Kevin Feige has talked about doing Nova in the future many times. We also have a notable voice actress announced as doing voice work for the show, without saying who she's playing, and I'm assuming she'll be voicing a CGI or partially CGI Viv.

The fake commercials reference Stark (the twins originally blamed Stark for their parent's deaths because a Stark missile fell through the roof of their house, killed them and almost killed her and Pietro), Baron Strucker (who detained and experimented on them to develop their powers, as seen in the post credit scene in Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron) and Hydra (who Strucker worked for, of course).

So yeah, anyway, let's talk about Quicksilver  :thumbup:

Near the end of this episode Wanda talks about Pietro for a few minutes.

"I had a twin. His name is Pietro [Wanda's accent returns for a bit]"

"Geraldine": "He was killed by Ultron."

Hey look, it's Quicksilver. And he's holding a Chekov's Gun. Several in fact. :D

Quicksilver WILL return....in WANDAVISION. IT. WILL HAPPEN.

Also the foreign language credits at the end of the episode blow the reveal that Geraldine is Monica Rambeau (the now-adult version of the daughter of Carol Danvers's Air Force partner in Captain Marvel) before it's actually said in the show proper, and apparently she's a spy for SWORD (which I'm assuming is where Fury was hanging out at the end of Far from Home? They're also doing a Secret Invasion D+ show with Fury in the future) sent to spy on Wanda's little pocket dimension. The plot thickens.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

I swear...
Spoiler
If this series gives us Quicksilver with a proper friggin costume, I'll be so happy.

Silver Shocker

*does the Scooby-Doo/Muttley laugh*

Spoiler
It's been rumored for like a year or so that BOTH versions of Quicksilver are in this. It's possible that Evan Peters (Fox Movie Quicksilver) is playing a different character Lynda-Carter style/Arrowverse style. I'm also of the opinion that he'd be a very appropriate choice to play Tommy aka Speed (since movie Quicksilver in Days of Future Past pretty much WAS Speed) but there's merchandize pointing to mah boi QS being in here. Now, we know by now that Marvel got wise and put out some fake spoiler material Micheal Bay style in recent years, but recently the Spanish dub VO for Fox QS let slip he's in the show.

I have two theories on how either version of my boy Quicksilver is going to show up in here. One would be the big spectacle "oh snap" moment, and the other will be he walks into the door like a Kramer from Seinfeld or a beloved guest star in a sitcom like it's no big deal and the live studio audience will cheer (would not be surprised if that happens).

I guess it depends on what you consider a "proper" costume. I wanted to see a more comic accurate costume for Scarlet Witch and I've made my piece with her outfits over the years she's been around.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Spoiler
See, I just want SOMETHING. I'm sorry, but what we got for the character in AoU... it's designer sportswear, at best. I want him in something that would fit in with the rest of the MCU Avengers (and they can do it, if Falcon's costume is any indication). If they take creative liberties with it like they did with Wanda I don't mind, especially because... well, Quicksilver has never had the best outfits. I do like his Perez-era Dark Blue/White look, but many of his looks are either very flash-derivative or just awful (that stupid fast forward purple nightmare he wore more recently).

Silver Shocker

So, so true.

Spoiler
I have a soft spot for the Perez one myself, as well. And I hated that one with the fast-forward symbol as well. Pietro (in particular the comic version of the character) is one of my all-time favorite superhero characters of all time for reason I don't entirely understand or can't explain especially well (his history and baggage play into it a lot, like Roy Harper) and yet, due to his middling prominence in the Marvel lore, he's had a pretty crappy set of costumes, to the point that his original X-Factor one, one of the better ones IMO actually, was (because Peter David) presented as a joke. Usually they do default back to "blue with lightning bolt" or "green with lightning bolt" but for a few years he went from "mustard yellow" to "snowboarder gear" to "shirt with a gosh-darn fast-forward symbol on it".
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Paul Bettany (Vision) just dropped some major hints about what's coming in WandaVision.

Spoiler tag for those who don't know to know too much about how the sausage is made.

Spoiler
Paul Bettany in an interview that there's an actor popping up by the end of this who hasn't leaked, and who he hasn't worked with before.

I think Dr. Strange might just be in here. I admittedly haven't double checked Bettany's entire body of work, but IIRC Vish never had a single scene with Strange in any of the movies they appeared in, somebody (I think it was Scarlet Johansson or Gwyneth Paltrow) mentioned in an interview that they had to CGI some actors into scenes with other actors in Infinity War/Endgame because they couldn't get everybody on set at the same time, and Bettany and Pom Klementief (Mantis) mentioned at an interview at a convention a few years ago that, like most movies, they filmed scenes out of order (the final act of IW was the first thing they filmed) so Bettany might not have ever even been on set at the same time as Cumberbatch.

In terms of stuff that's already been put out there in marketing, I've watched trailers and reviews for WV on YT so I get lots of videos about it on my feed, including interviews with Elizabeth Olsen (Wanda) and others, and one that popped up in my feed was an interview with several actors, including Kat Dennings (Darcy from the first two Thor movies, who is appearing in the show in later episodes) and it really hit me that she and Jimmy Woo are going to be in this. It had me wondering if they're going to be played for comedy like they were in their respective films or played straight. I'd guess straight. Woo is there as a government agent (I opened when Ant-Man and the Wasp came out that Woo was a replacement for Coulson) and Darcy is there as a scientist (since Natalie Portman and Stellen Skarsgard likely wouldn't be in this). So yeah.

To return to an earlier comment:

Quote from: UnkoMan on January 16, 2021, 12:08:18 AM
Oh yeah, and to mention something from the discord:
Spoiler
I totally saw the Agnes character and thought it was meant to be Agatha Harkness. Specifically from the Scarlet Witch run where she acts as a mentor witch. (from when Wanda was more magic and not a mutant, I think?)
That was the vibe she gave anyhow. We'll see!

Spoiler
Yes, that was a rumor/speculation even when the trailers came out and I just assumed that would be the case. Would make perfect sense, especially since she was also in Fantastic Four and Marvel Studios has the film right rights again. In fact I just learned today that Marvel Legends is currently pouring an enormous amount of really impressive X-Men and Fantastic Four figures that probably sent my poor wallet into a panic attack.  :P

~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

So, before I gush about Ep 4, I should mention Paul Bettany recently spilled a secret. Kevin Feige cut an Endgame post-credit scene where Wanda steals Vision's dead body from a body bag. They apparently cut it because it was a bit of a downer. Fair enough, but it would have been a pretty sweet post-credit scene.

So yeah, Wandavision's getting gud. And important. And a bit more more like a "standard superhero story". Those who have put off the show might be happy if they watch the first four now. It might go back to being the usual thing next week, but at the moment....well, this is probably my favorite episode so far and that's saying something cuz I've loved this show so far.

Alright, I'm done. UNDEROOS!

Spoiler

Episode title: "We Interrupt this broadcast." Oh-ho-ho, we're in the Endgame now.

*Episode turns on, we see Monica getting un-Blipped.*

OH SNAP! It's happening, oh god it's happening. Everyone remain calm!

So yeah, I'm watching the new Captain Marvel movie guys.

"Your mother died 3 years ago."

Me: Well, that's gotta suck.

I think it's always going to be interesting to see the blipping and un-blipping from a different perspective. It's the "Order 66" of the MCU.

*Monica walks into S.W.O.R.D. we see her codename is "Photon." Yeah, there you go.
*Jimmy Woo shows up* WOO BABY! THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR, THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!!!

Also Jimmy Woo has now mastered the card trick from Ant-Man and the Wasp.

God, I love the MCU. So good.

Jimmy Woo: Most kids had a poster of Micheal Jordan on their wall, I had Eliott Ness.

Me: MAH MAN. *fistbumps Jimmy Woo through the screen*

* Kat Dennings shows up* Hey, look, it's one now-considerably less broke girl. :) Yep, Darcy's still comic relief.

"DOCTOR Lewis" Yeah, I figured you got your doctorate by now Darcy. It has been....quite a few years. I wonder if she got blipped or not?

Kat Dennings' acting is a bit stiff in this. I'm not sure if that's out of the ordinary or not. I don't exactly watch stuff with her in it on repeat (I've only seen Thor 1 and 2 twice each, and those are the only things I've seen her in. I've seen maybe about 2 minutes or so total of 2 Broke Girls, and I would swear her acting was better in ALL of those. Mandala Effect maybe?)

I'm surprised Darcy hasen't made it into the mainline comics. Selvig was added in Nick Spencer's Cap run.

....apparently the role of main character has now changed from Wanda and Vision to Photon, and now to DARCY in the span of 11 minutes. KAY. I assume at this point KORG will be the main character by the end of the episode or something.

Also I was thinking this earlier in the episode. The town is in New Jersey. As I understand it, Kamala Khan is based in Jersey. As long as they're making this a sequel to Infinity War, Endgame, Captain Marvel, "Ant-Man and the Wasp" AND the first two Thor's, they might as well have Ms. Marvel make an early bird cameo in this before her own show even comes out.

Jimmy Woo: "Director Hayward, between you, me and the bedposts..."

This is a good time to mention, Jimmy Woo is gay, and apparently (I had to google this) according to a now-deleted tweet by Randal Park, they were originally going to make this more clear than it already was in Ant-Man and the Wasp, in a similar manner to Valkyrie from Thor Ragnarok. Someone replied to the tweet and said Joe Russo's cameo in Endgame was the first LGBTQ character in the MCU, but that's clearly not the case, and if you count the tv shows (which Wandavision is) and the Fox movies, they got some in years ago. And we just got Wiccan in the MCU last week. Plus Kate Bishop is coming very soon, and in her solo series she described herself as "being in the closet" (in her case meaning bi)

*The world of Wandavision is discovered by Darcy to be created by the same energy as the Big Bang"
"So you're telling me the universe created a sitcom?"
Maybe the Beyonder really IS in this? Or maybe this is just them explaining the science of how powerful Wanda is?

Darcy: Can I get that coffee now?

SOMEONE GET THAT WOMAN A COFFEE GOSH DARNIT! SHE'S CLEARLY THE MOST USEFUL PERSON HERE!!!

*Darcy watching footage of Wanda and Vision kissing* "Aww." She ships it. And so do I.

OH SNAP! EVERY SINGLE SUPPORTING CHARACTER IN WANDAVISION HAS A DIFFERENT NAME IN THE "REAL WORLD." THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING! Quicksilver cameo as a different character [not yet] confirmed for the win!

AND we have our first character death in Wandavision. Darcy dropped her cup noodle. I salute you, cup noodle. I want some now, mmmm.

I mean, if you want to get technical, Maria Rambeau was revealed to have died, but that happened at least 3 years ago in the timeline.

Oh, one of the S.W.O.R.D. guys who infiltrated the Wandavision zone got "cast" as the beekeeper. Well, that's disappointing. They put that in to screw with us, didn't they?

*Vision briefly turns into a pale, corpse-like version of himself with a big hole in his forehead reflecting his fate in Infinity War* AAAND there's your Nightmare Fuel kids.
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

So the show has already dropped out of the interesting pastiche into standard superhero fare.
I guess I am the only one that's disappointed for some reason. Ha ha ha. I had hoped to see one episode in every style.

Spoiler
It's only okay now. I mean, it's a very obvious story, I'm surprised people are confused.
By my theory: She takes Vision's body to some small middle of nowhere town, and then she uses her magics to bring back a facsimile of him and have all the townspeople be characters in her fake sitcom perfect life.
The townspeople might have been blips or not.

At least that would be the obvious place to take it. Johnny Woo seems hung up on the idea that somebody is doing it TO her, so it makes sense for that to be a blazing red herring.

Panther_Gunn

Just a small point, unless I'm misunderstanding the angle you're coming from:

Quote from: Silver Shocker on January 29, 2021, 02:45:02 PM
Spoiler

*Monica walks into S.W.O.R.D. we see her codename is "Photon." Yeah, there you go.

Spoiler
*Maria* Rambeau was established with the codename Photon in the Capt. Marvel movie, and without re-watching this episode to pause it at that point, I'm pretty sure the plaque she was looking at on the wall was her mother's, not her own.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Silver Shocker

QuoteI guess I am the only one that's disappointed for some reason. Ha ha ha. I had hoped to see one episode in every style.

Giving the advertising, (we STILL haven't seen the 80's style one and the halloween costumes!) I'm assuming they're going to go back and forth every episode or so. After all, Kat Dennings and Randal Park are added to the main credits.

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on February 01, 2021, 01:30:45 AM
Just a small point, unless I'm misunderstanding the angle you're coming from:

Quote from: Silver Shocker on January 29, 2021, 02:45:02 PM
Spoiler

Spoiler
*Maria* Rambeau was established with the codename Photon in the Capt. Marvel movie, and without re-watching this episode to pause it at that point, I'm pretty sure the plaque she was looking at on the wall was her mother's, not her own.

You are completely right. However:

Spoiler
I slipped on that when I first put it on, and caught it later (I also missed Jimmy Woo finally nailing the card trick from Ant-Man and the Wasp, which is such a neat touch!  :lol:)

[Edit: I originally mispelled Jimmy Woo as Jimmy Foo. That's unfortunate.]

I'm operating on the assumption that she will take on her mother's callsign as her superhero name. I vaguely recall seeing an interview that was talking about having her become a superhero as the story and the MCU goes on and I admittedly jumped the gun a bit on that, but I also jump the gun on a LOT of the MCU stuff because, well, it's exciting!

Speaking of which, more "how the sausage is made" for those who want to opt in:

Florence Pugh's Yelena Belova (the other OTHER Black Widow from the comics) is appearing the Hawkeye series, which means she MIGHT appear in that before the Black Widow flick is actually released, resulting in the movie potentially being spoiled.

But like a lot of people I'm just assuming she'll be the new Black Widow so I'm fine with that. Maya Lopez aka Echo aka the other Ronin is also in the show, so yeah, show looks like it'll be sweet.

In other news:

Cap and the Winter Soldier will have Carl Lumbly (the voice of J'onn J'onzz/Martian Manhunter from Justice League/Justice League Unlimited and J'onn's father in the Supergirl tv show) playing Josiah Bradley, the grandfather of Young Avenger Eli aka Patriot. I approve!  :thumbup:

I've also read in an interview the show will tackle "uncomfortable political issues" which probably means it will be a partial adaptation of "The Truth: Red, White and Black" which means it's even more likely we're getting Patriot aka one more step on the path to Young Avengers. 
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

So I saw a thing. A this-week's-episode-of-Wandavision leak thing.

Fair warning to those watching who don't want stuff spoiled.

1. Remove literally of all the Wandavision-related things from your Youtube history if you're watching stuff on YT between now and the time you watch this week's episode, and consider using a spoiler-blocker browser add-on if you're not already.

2. Know that I almost teared up when I saw this.

Spoiler
This week's episode is the Halloween episode and it had a major cameo in it.

Billy: (dressed as what appears to Wiccan's costume): Our Dad!

Wanda (in comics-accurate Scarlet Witch costume from the trailers: What is it Billy?

Billy: He's in trouble.

Evan Peter in a comics-accurate blue Quicksilver costume: It's not like your dead boyfriend can die twice.

*Wanda fires beam at EP Quicksilver and knocks him several feet away*

Of course. I should have seen it coming. Well played Marvel, well played.

Tommy is also apparently wearing a Speed costume.

Oh Young Avengers, how I love you so. This variant cover just shows how fun and likable and relatable they are, and I ran into it by accident just yesterday and I can't remember if I'd ever seen it. I can't wait to see what a Stature/Stinger costume and Kang and Iron Lad's armors will look with in the MCU. I really gotta hurry up and read Empyre. 

Also, in less spoilery news, the word online is Disney will release 2-4 new trailers for Super Bowl Sunday. Oh, the possibilities!
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

So, actually this week on Wandavision.....

Not too much happened.....kinda dragged a bit....

I'll say this. Those who were fence sitters on this show because it's a phony sitcom.....it's now consistently like 50% not that now, so this would be the part where most people will all go "Yeah, it's pretty good".

Spoiler
"Wanda doesn't have an alias".

So the name "Scarlet Witch" really doesn't exist in the MCU yet. Ok then.

"We need a 'narrow space engineer.'"

Wait....is Ant-Man actually in this? I was joking earlier......He can't be the super special cameo because Bettany was in Civil War with him, sooo....

Also, Wanda is a baaaaaad guuuuuy. *And as some online noted, quite Magneto-esque in this scene*

Also she flies now? She flies now. I can't remember if she flew before.

*Evan Peters as Pietro, not Peter, Pietro, walks in the door. Live studio audience claps and cheers*

So yeah, that happened. And yeah, I loved it.

Also he talks like the Fonz. And that's pretty fun.

Darcy: She recast Pietro?!!

Yup. Bananas. Kick-Arse is out. The guy from American Horror Story is in.

I think the new Quicksilver song is "The Boys Are Back in Town"  ^_^

Also multiple references to the opening act of Civil War. More foreshadowing?

The Halloween episode wasn't even this week.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Super bowl Sunday has come and gone (I don't watch football; I was watching S2 of Pennyworth. It's really good, if anyone cares. The guy who plays young Alfred is brilliant) And we got 1 Disney trailer, but it was a pretty cool one.

Winter Soldier and Falcon. Not too interesting, but still pretty cool.

There's not a lot to talk about, but there is enough.

I like that Sam and Buck don't seem to get along. I always remember that part in Civil War where Spider-Man pretty much hands them their butts and webs them up and Falcon's stuck there and he says to Bucky "I hate you." Funny moment, but it does illustrate that these two guys aren't necessarily going to get along because it would be convenient for the plot.

Then there's Zemo of course. I love that he's got the purple mask, but I do have a few questions, as do others. 1. How much trouble is this guy going to be able to cause this time around? 2) With Cap and Tony off the board, what is he trying to achieve? What is this "work" he says he has to do? 3) Is there a story reason in this universe why he wears the mask? As Bane once said "Noone cared about me until I put on the mask". But in the comics lore there's a reason he put it on, so I'm curious if there's a reason here.

The other issue I have with Zemo here is that he really needs some kind of headpiece over the top of the mask to complete the look IMO. Maybe it's just that they wanted it to look more realistic to me but without that section it looks wrong to me.

In other news, there's talk online about Jimmy Woo getting his own show alongside Kat Denning's Darcy as a kind of MCU X-Files. I personally think it's a nifty idea, maybe as a miniseries (I have no idea how long these shows are supposed to last - they're not actually planning to have Wandavision be more than one season are they? Because that would be bizarre) but I don't know how many people would have actually watch that. The internet does have vocal section section of the fandom who apparently loves Randal Park/Jimmy Woo as much as I do, but I can't imagine wider audiences caring one bit. Plus Agents of Atlas could be a far more promising show.

In other other news, there's talk of a Wakanda-style Black Panther spin-off show. See, that's not a bad idea. And also got me thinking. A member of the Dora Milaje as the new Panther instead of Shuri. See that's not a bad idea. Movie Shuri is a tech expert who doesn't appear to be a fighter, which is exactly what the Milaje are, and the herbs were destroyed in the movie. So that does kinda line up. Plus I've been curious ever since Endgame what exactly happened to Wakanda and its plans to interact with the outside world during the timeskip.

It'd also give an opportunity for Martin Freeman to show up again (I forgot about him!) and that's always delightful.
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

I just watched that new trailer.  It looks a bit better.  I'm still looking forward to this one, and I'm definitely excited to see Zemo becoming more like what he should be.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Nyte Dragon

Quote from: Silver Shocker on February 08, 2021, 09:48:16 AM
I like that Sam and Buck don't seem to get along. I always remember that part in Civil War where Spider-Man pretty much hands them their butts and webs them up and Falcon's stuck there and he says to Bucky "I hate you." Funny moment, but it does illustrate that these two guys aren't necessarily going to get along because it would be convenient for the plot.

I think of it like this, they are these two guys who would never hang out with each other, except for this one friend they had in common. Now that friend has been taken out of the equation. And unlucky for them, but lucky for us watching, they have to work together. I do hope that they do keep the kernel of respect they actually do have for each other, even begrudgingly, like you saw at the end of 'Endgame'.

2) With Cap and Tony off the board, what is he trying to achieve? What is this "work" he says he has to do?

He wasn't so much after Tony and Steve, as much as destroy the Avengers team, by tearing it apart from the inside. He wants to destroy the 'idea' of heroes, because they failed him, or his family to be precise. I would say that is his mission. That, or he is out to destroy the legacy of Captain America by taking out his two closest allies.

In other news, there's talk online about Jimmy Woo getting his own show alongside Kat Denning's Darcy as a kind of MCU X-Files. I personally think it's a nifty idea, maybe as a miniseries

More Darcy/Jimmy. Yes, Please!
It'd also give an opportunity for Martin Freeman to show up again (I forgot about him!) and that's always delightful.

Oh please, please, please let him run into Doctor Strange! The meta of it alone makes me Squee!
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Night Dragon on February 08, 2021, 06:06:35 PM

2) With Cap and Tony off the board, what is he trying to achieve? What is this "work" he says he has to do?

He wasn't so much after Tony and Steve, as much as destroy the Avengers team, by tearing it apart from the inside. He wants to destroy the 'idea' of heroes, because they failed him, or his family to be precise. I would say that is his mission. That, or he is out to destroy the legacy of Captain America by taking out his two closest allies.

I'm planning to, at the very least, rewatch the Zemo scenes of Civil War before it comes out as a refresher, but that sounds right. In the comics, when undoing the whole Thunderbolts status quo, Brubaker's original angle was Zemo wanted to test Bucky to see if he was worthy to wield the shield, which is as good an angle for comic Zemo as any, but MCU Zemo doesn't have remotely the same background as comic Zemo.

Oh please, please, please let him run into Doctor Strange! The meta of it alone makes me Squee!

That is a good point.  ^_^ Cumberbatch was also the voice for Dormammu, so there could be a Bilbo/Smaug reference there too, though I don't know how likely it'd be for Everett Ross to meet Dormammu unless He becomes a "companion" to Doctor Strange's Doctor Who (and he's already teaming up with Wong)

QuoteMore Darcy/Jimmy. Yes, Please!

Marvel and Disney know what their audience like, and that Disney money sure goes a long way when it comes to marketing.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

More news about Cap and the Winter Soldier:

According to a foreign ratings board, the series is rated for violence and course language comparable to Daredevil and/or Game of Thrones.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it will be less violent than Daredevil. I can't possibly imagine it being that violent, let alone as violent as GOT.

It's set to release March 29th, while Black Widow is set to release May 7, both this year. Looking forward to seeing if these make it to the finish line without being delayed. Which is a good thing, as Florence Pugh (Yelena Belova) is guest starring in Hawkeye.

Also Kat Dennings has said she hasn't been talked to about appearing in Thor 4, but would say yes if ask, and her and Randal Park (Jimmy Woo) both say they didn't get Blipped, with Dennings saying she was outright told by the creators that Darcy didn't get blipped while Park said Jimmy needed the time to practice his card tricks.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

This week on Wandavision:

We're apparently into 2000's sitcoms, with a hand-held cam style that I'm told is based on the show Modern Family. I've never seen that show, so I'll take people's word on that. And I'm not big on the 2000's metal music used for the intro this week. It's also the Halloween episode, yay.

Spoiler
One thing that's became clear in this episode is that Evan Peter's Quicksilver, as entertaining as he's always been, is kind of pathetic. I mean, that is consistent, even in Apocalypse, he brings up that he still lived with his mom and outright says he was kind of a loser, and it bothered me that he went right up to Magneto and couldn't directly tell him he was his son.

He's also a terrible influence on poor Tommy, but I kinda like that because Days of Future Past Quicksilver was reminiscent of Speed in a way that probably was just a coincidence. He was a kinda self-serving criminal thrill seeker who only helped them because he got the chance to pull the mother of all heists, while Speed was introduced as being broken out of jail and was turning Skrulls into pulp without a care in the world. And as Young Avengers went on hiatus and other writers took over this element of the character sorta got lost in the shuffle.

Also Zombie Quicksilver. Fun stuff.

I'm actually kinda of glad I had a single scene from this episode spoiled in the form of a leak completely out of context, as it allowed the rest of the last two episodes to maintain a level of exciting surprise and suspense.

Even Peters Quicksilver is also aware of him being a construct, which is....interesting.....

The comic-accurate hair, however, looks terrible, in a way that had to have been intentional, considering all of the comic-accurate episodes in this episode are literally cheap Halloween costume.

Also, I'm rather disappointed at the lack of costumes from anyone else that were Marvel references. No Hulk, Captain America, ect? No Iron Man and Black Widow after Tony Stark died to save to everybody? I also thought it would be nifty if a young girl wore a Vision costume as a reference to Viv Vision. But I guess in Wanda's world, the superhero world doesn't exist outside of her little close-nit family, but then again that is the entire point of WandaVision, that what Wanda is doing is incredibly unhealthy.

The show is starting to drag in spots, I'll admit, or perhaps the initial appeal of it has worn out a bit, but with 3 episodes left, I'm hoping things pick up and wrap up in a satisfying way.
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

The Halloween episode was totally a Malcolm in the Middle.
I've never seen Modern Family so I can't say anything about that, but it's from later than Malcolm.

Tomato

Eh. What little I've seen of Modern Family seems to more closely match some shots from the trailers (I'm assuming those are from this week?) where this was, from what I can tell, mostly borrowing from Malcolm and earlier sitcoms (Holiday episodes, cool uncle, etc.) Since Modern Family was from 2009, I think it's more likely to be referenced with the upcoming episode, rather than this one.

Silver Shocker

As I said, I recall them outright saying it was Modern Family, but again, as I said, the hand-held cam style is supposed to be based on MF. Malcolm in the Middle (which I did indeed watch, and I was not a huge fan of it outside of Francis, it sure made me appreciate Bryan Cranston's later work) mainly consisted of Malcolm talking to the camera in a way that implied he was talking to someone who was there in the room with him (it was a fourth-wall-breaking kind of thing ala Deadpool) There was no contextualization in-universe for this IIRC.

As I understand it (and this comes from Tvtropes) MF does a kind of ICarly thing where one or more of the characters makes videos on Youtube or something similar, so it's not so much "breaking the fourth wall by talking to the audience"  as "recording for an audience on the internet" (I recall reading that the show has a "you left the webcam on" joke at one point.

And of all the things about Wandavision we could discuss, we are apparently talking about whether WV was aping Malcolm in the Middle or Modern Family. You all realize we are a massive bunch of nerds, right?  ;)

QuoteWhat little I've seen of Modern Family seems to more closely match some shots from the trailers (I'm assuming those are from this week?) where this was, from what I can tell, mostly borrowing from Malcolm and earlier sitcoms (Holiday episodes, cool uncle, etc.) Since Modern Family was from 2009, I think it's more likely to be referenced with the upcoming episode, rather than this one.

Actually, taking a closer look at what you said, maybe you're right, maybe I am getting mixed up what exact episode is inspired by what. Timeline wise, that would match up better too.

If nothing else, the electric guitar-music for the intro was certainly similar to the theme song for MitM.

Now as for the question as to "Which is the more dysfunctional family, the one in Wandavision or the one in Malcolm in the Middle (whose last name is never revealed in the show, as I understand it), well, that's the real question.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Found the quote you're referencing because it was nagging at me, from Feige.

Quote"I loved TV, and watched far too much The Dick Van [expletive deleted] Show and I Love Lucy and Bewitched and everything," Feige said. "We go up to the Modern Family and The Office style. The talk-to-the-camera, shaky-camera, documentary style."

That seems to imply the office/modern family stuff is at/near the end of the sitcom episodes, not specifically referencing 6.

HarryTrotter

Quote"I loved TV, and watched far too much The Dick Van [expletive deleted] Show

I hope that was the autocensor and not you trying to make a joke. 😂
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Tomato

It was either in the quote when I copied it or the boards auto censor, pretty sure the latter.

Silver Shocker

Har har. That was literally a joke in Family Guy.
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

[expletive deleted] Van [expletive deleted]

I, too have watched way too much TV (until I moved out of the house) so I am definitely all over the merits of discussing what episodes ape what.
Did you see those Brady Bunch stairs?! I've actually LOVED watching the house set change to match the show period.

But, like... that's the main reason I've liked this show, ha ha ha ha.

Silver Shocker

Wandavision: EP 7: Ok, THIS is indeed the episode I was talking about.

This episode is another humdinger. The kind of episode that would have had people talking around the water cooler.

Alfred: And what do you call that?

Christian Bale's Batman: Damn good television.

Spoiler
Also I missed this last week:

1. Vision: It is my intention to reach those outside of Westview and make sense of our situation.

So you MIGHT even say.....to reference that one internet meme, he must somehow make sense of our convoluted situation!

2. Monica was changed by the "hex" barrier, and not just in the usual "WandaVision casting" way.

Photon/Spectrum blatantly confirmed.

Billy and Tommy: Our game is freaking out!

*Wii controllers transform into Gamecube controllers, then into Atari controllers, then into Uno cards.*

Brilliant! Ah, I love this show so much!

Also I call shenanigans! While a quick google search reveals there WAS indeed a wireless Atari controller, and they did indeed look like that, those are clearly regular Gamecube controllers with the wires cut off and not Wavebirds. Fail. I mean, it's magic, so it doesn't really matter, but they went for a specific reference and didn't get it right.

*Cereal is called "Sugar Snaps"*

Oh Marvel. You know they're loving this.

Hey....wait a second....those look EXACTLY like lucky charms! I knew Lucky was up to no good. Breakfast is indeed ruined!

The theme music sure sounds like it was inspired by the Office.

*Darcy calls Vision a creeper.*

Vision: You don't recognize me from the other night? We locked eyes, there was an understanding.

Darcy: Um, hard pass *walks away*

Vision: No, wait, wait up!

You better check yourself before you wreck yourself, Vizh. She'll taze you. Ask Thor, he knows.

* Weather forecast shows sunny weather all week. *

I take it Storm's not the only one who can control the weather. Also, NO, that game they were playing on the Wii was not a real game. I'd recognize it if it was. Unless it's a homebrew....it's magic.

Wanda: Vision is made out of vibranium. They literally inherited tough skin.

Wait, is that true? Or is Wanda just doing that thing where you used the word "literally" incorrectly?

Agnes: I promise I won't bite.

Agnes [interview segment] I actually did bite a kid once.

Assuming you're not just joking.....WHY? Why would you do that? Stranger danger!

*Agnes makes increasingly inappropriate comments in front of Wanda and her kids*

Umm....what the hell? That was really weird. And not even in a "Wandavision" way.

*Wanda's powers accidentally change the model of TV* You know, if you could control it, that would be an AWESOME power. Like Override from Spider-Man, only instead of cars, it's whatever you want. Like a Mother Box, but you don't even need a Mother Box.

*Wandavision version of Darcy, to Vision* Fine, I'll go out with you, but I'm ordering the lobster.

See that's cute. I like that. I like that a lot. I wonder if Vision has money to pay for food.

Darcy punching a guy at the circus in the nose for getting grabby, complete with a circus-themed sound effect, then saying sorry is far funnier than it had any right to be. It's hard to tell, but the sound effects might have been coming from one of those strength testing meters elsewhere in the scene, which is probably my favorite part of the bit.

Jimmy Woo: Director Heyward wasn't trying to decommission Vision...he was trying to bring him back online...

Oh really? This is my surprised face. Reveal a new Vision in a SWORD lab. DO IT!

*Commercial plays with voiceover*

"Side effects [Of "Nexus", anti-depressant] include: feeling your feelings, confronting your truth, seizing your destiny, and possibly more depression. You should not take Nexus unless your doctor has cleared you to move on with your life. Nexus: Because the world doesn't revolve around you....or does it?"

Well, that was just about the darkest joke ever. This show's so pitch-black it's almost mean. It practically IS Too Many Cooks at this point. I'm don't sure I even want to think about how it's going to end.

*The bunny's name is Scratchy*
Like Nicolas Scratch, Fantastic Four villain and son of Agatha Harkness! Agnes confirmed for Agatha Harkness!

Monica: I can get through.

Jimmy: Monica, you can't!

*Epic Marvel movie music pipes in as Monica pushes through the barrier*

You know what else I love about this show? I love how this show about Wanda and the Vision REALLY IS a Monica Rambeau origin movie in disguise, and they aren't even particularly subtle about it. It's like The MCU version of Mandalorian, except not "like" because that's EXACTLY what it is.

*Monica has powers now, and can see how Wanda's powers have warped the area* Looks like Monica Rambeau can see her own unique.....

....Spectrum.  :cool:

YEAAAAAAH!!!!

*Darcy tells Vision how he died in one of the most humorously awkward conversations ever*

Soooo....did they just tell EVERYBODY what happened in those movies? Does Wanda know you guys just blabbed about that super traumatic, deeply personal experience she had mere minutes before she dissapeared for five years? The one that drove her into one of the most dangerous bouts of severe mental illness in the history of the MCU?

Man, when this thing's over the real question's going to be which version of Wanda got screwed over worse, the comic version or the MCU version.

Well, in the last few minutes of this thing, it went from very dark, to very campy. That's some very intentional mood whiplash there. And Vision and Darcy are driving in a van being stopped by non-stop inconveniences. Normally you have to watch an anime to get something this starkly diverse in tone. Or you know, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Agatha Harkness reveal is a great reveal...and it probably would have been even better if the marketing didn't tip its hand a bit too much.

Agatha Harkness is an evil witch who gets a villain song. How appropriately....Disney. And how appropriate this hit like a DAY after the trailer for a Cruella Di Ville movie.

And she killed the family dog too. Damn. That's cold.

Man, the MCU got a LOT better at doing villains over the years, didn't they?

Strangely, Debra Jo Rupp is added back into the credits for a split-second of screentime, but Emma Caulfield is not. Curious.

Post Credit Scene: "Pietro" appearing behind Monic and saying "Snoopers gonna snoop". He might as well be quoting the "Snooping as usual I see" meme. We getting Quicksilver vs. Photon next week? Because that sounds sick!

Soooo....regardless of what actually happened/IS going to happen to Wanda's kids....2+ years since Infinity War and Marvel STILL doing "dark" WAY better than DCEU.

Also, a correction. The line was "Aerospace engineer". Not "narrow-space engineer." And the actress who plays Monica said the reveal of who it is is going to be huge.

The people making this show are mad geniuses.

Also, it's not even noon and this episode's traffic has been causing D+ to crash.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

This week on "Darker than the DCEU because you actually care"

Oh Wandavision, to quote Gwen Stefani: "Why You Have to Go and Make Me Like You?"

This episode didn't make me cry....but it sure came close several times over.

Spoiler
NO! No making me feel sympathy for the evil Disney Witch! Bad Wandavision!  ;)

Well, at least we know the kids are alive. Not as bad as it could be.

Well, what do you know, we literally see flashbacks/memory of Wanda watching D*ck Van Dy*ke and having DVDs of Malcolm in the Middle in the show itself. To quote Giles from Buffy, the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

*Bomb goes off while they're watching tv*

Rhodey, you wanna field this one?

Rhodey: Yeah, this sucks, this is a bad beat.

*Wanda sees what I what to assume is herself in a vaguely comics-accurate costume, complete with headpiece*

Man this show is made to make those reaction guys on Youtube freak out, isn't it? :)

*Malcolm in the middle is literally on the tv and directly talked about*

Fine, I'll admit it; I had an Alien movie on on Disney Plus the other night. The Fox-Disney buyout was worth it.

I mean, Ryan Reynolds confirmed Deadpool 3 was going to be a road trip with Jackman's Logan, but this is nice.

Vision (during Civil War flashback) It can't all be sorrow, can it?

Man, I hope the MCU writers are paid well, because these people are real good. And they've been real good for the better part of like a decade and change.

"That makes you....The Scarlet Witch."

Yay, she said the thing and it actually means something in context. :)

Yay, mid credit scene with ghostly pale Vision. Took a few years, but here he is.  :)

No Fake Pietro this week. That's too bad, but I can live with it.

There's only 1 episode left, and when it's done, I don't know if I'm going to cry because it's going to be really dark, sad and/or bittersweet or because they isn't more of it. And I don't know which is worse.
~Rocky Balboa