Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

Trying not to push myself until the clean versions are up. At first I thought it was weird they didn't just go ahead and leak high def versions themselves but I suppose the whole bootlegged footage thing raises much hype for their product. Still if it were me I'd want a quality version out there by my company first full knowing someone was going to snipe it anyways.

Excited about X-men but I'm minding the Curse Of The Third especially when it comes to comic movies. It might not live up to DOFP as well it's going to be compared to the previous films when it comes to critique which means the film REALLY is going to have to work for it. I also watched Olivia Munn's swordplay demonstration. I mean this with no sarcasm and maybe I'm alone here but I am really proud of Munn for finally breaking in, she has worked hard for it. But honestly all I want to know is if Bingbing is still in and what Blink will be doing then. Because Bingbing >>> Munn, just saying.

Deadpool trailer to me? Lot of curse words for the sake of curse words, lot of headasplodes for the sake of headasplodes. I'm sure the final result will amount to more than that as GOTG did and they're just being crass with the R Band to show they're not pulling any punches. This movie has been so long in the making that it's hard not be excited for it. Or at least the fact that it's not the version from the previous film alone. A little more pumped for Gambit though, that's a childhood dream of a movie right there!

HarryTrotter

Psylockes costume was a hot topic these days.Its apparenty the Jim Lee design and almost impossible to get into.No word on Cable.I guess he really isnt in this movie.
Deadpool trailes seemed a bit juveline.Oh and notice Liefelds cameo.He was also the consultant for the movie.That explains a lott.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

Well...I don't know about that....those are some interesting and somewhat worrisome choices, if true. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

I can understand the others,but Magneto is weird addition.Seeing he opposed Apocalypse in the story.
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on July 15, 2015, 04:49:57 AM
I can understand the others,but Magneto is weird addition.Seeing he opposed Apocalypse in the story.

Magneto had a very different role in Age Of Apocalypse.. they are NOT adapting that story into X-Men: Apocalypse. This is the rise of Apocalypse that occurs a decade after Days Of Future Past just after Xavier officially opened the Xavier School For The Gifted. The teaser trailer shown at SDCC and comments made by Fassbender reveal that Magneto retired after his final conflict with Xavier and witnessing Mystique changing her ways. Apocalypse and his followers eventually find and collect three of the horsemen with Eric being the last and once realizing that his options were very limited.. He joins as a horsemen. In Age Of Apocalypse it was the death of Xavier which forced him to realize he took the wrong path and took on Xavier's dream to honor him. That did not happen in the movies. Eric chooses to step out of his usual role to avoid the future that Wolverine told him about knowing that fate usually forced mutants into an endless cycle of war if the pieces were put on the chess board. Eric joins Apocalypse knowing he must betray him by helping Charles find the weakness in the unstoppable.

They are using the rules of time travel (well, mostly comic book rules and a few movie/tv rules) that changing one key event to avoid a huge disaster usually follows with a ripple effect of an event more disruptive then the last. So by erasing the Sentinel ruled timeline it somehow allows the right conditions for Apocalypse awakening which brings forth a potential event allowing for mutantkind to take over and bring about the future that Trask was trying to avoid.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

Okay,I agree with that.Just that Magneto has different morals and plans from Apocalypse,and its a bit hard to imagine them working together.But its a movie,so some changes are expected.
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Perhaps Magneto is not a willing subject?  Apcoalypse has been known to trick people into service :P

HarryTrotter

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/updated-film-versions-of-apocalypse-and-psylocke-r/1100-152921/?ftag=YHR3d385aa

Nobody posted it I think,so here it is.A whole gallery from Apocalypse.Gotta say,other then Magneto,Im not that sold on costumes.
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Like many have said, Psylocke looks great and Apocalypse looks like Ivan Ooze :D

catwhowalksbyhimself

Apocalypse just doesn't look right played by an actual human being.  It hate to say it, but he needs cgi.  May even just a digital head size readjustment would do it.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I been meaning to comment on the look of our cast:

-Psylocke looks surprisingly spot on.
-Magneto's costume looks overdesigned. I liked the ones from the last two movies more (but it's Fassbender so he still wins). I'm not sure why they're going with "armored" looks so much.
-Jean kinda looks like they're trying to replicate the top from Morrison's New X-Men.
-Young Nightcrawler looks pretty good.
-OMG you gais Jubilee looks sooo good! I feel like she doesn't even have to say or do anything, just show up looking like that and she wins.
-Apocalypse is an odd one. I think the classic comic and cartoon look would be hard to make work in live action but this version is kinda baffling. I don't know if they can make it good good in the finished movie. 
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

http://mcuexchange.com/thunderbolts-in-the-mcu/

More speculation about Thunderbolts movie.Basicly,any incarnation is possible.Maybe after Civil War or Avengers 3.We can only hope.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on August 07, 2015, 09:28:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKWUTwSYAs

If you missed Deadpool trailer here it is.

I see this movie being a huge hit.  Marvel would be foolish not to have movie related merchandise for this film.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 07, 2015, 01:12:43 PM
Quote from: Spade on August 07, 2015, 09:28:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKWUTwSYAs

If you missed Deadpool trailer here it is.

I see this movie being a huge hit.  Marvel would be foolish not to have movie related merchandise for this film.

Dont worry,they will.
Oh,and no Liefeld cameo this time.He was a consultant for this movie too.You probably guessed that.
Jon Farmer

deanjo2000

I'm looking forward to the xmen, but can't help thinking of Ivan ooze ( power ranger movie ) when I look at apocalypse :doh:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/da3a3y1ac4uqp/FreedoForce

"sorry she couldn`t wait" superman to wonderman jla/avengers.

HarryTrotter

Fantastic Four is out,right?
Anyone seen it?
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Quote from: Spade on August 09, 2015, 04:37:39 AM
Fantastic Four is out,right?
Anyone seen it?

Yeah, I have.  It wasn't nearly as bad as about 90% of the reviews make it out to be, but there was still much to be desired. I'd say 6/10.

It's no Days of Future Past, but it's no X-Men Origins: Wolverine, either.

I'd say it's a bit better than the FF movie from 2005 (and definitely better than Rise of the Silver Surfer), but that's about it.

I will say that Doom was really good, though.  Probably the best thing in the movie.

BentonGrey

Ohh my gosh, I just read a spoilerific review of the new Fantastic Four movie, and it sounds spectacularly bad, even worse than I had expected. I SO hope this thing crashes and burns and that the rights will go back to Marvel!

Apparently, Dr. Doom is "a surly, grungy cyber-hipster." Urg. Hello next generation, where all of our villains are 20 year old avatars of the worst of our culture, rather than the characters that have endured for half a century.

It's currently sitting at 8% on Rotten Tomatoes.  That's darn impressive.

My favorite review so far:

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/7/9114501/fantastic-four-movie-review

Highlights include: "Fantastic Four is an unmittigated garbage fire" and "watching [it] is like taking a cheese grater to your soul."
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Talavar

Everyone is currently wondering what's going to happen with the Fantastic Four license, giving that it has bombed (for a movie of this budget and ad campaign), opening with just 26 million dollars, and in second to Mission Impossible 5, in its second weekend.

Fox has several options being discussed, none of them particularly good:

- They can let the proposed sequel die, sit on the rights for however many years this gives them and then let them lapse back to Marvel, or try to reboot again at that point.

- They can damn the torpedos, and make a sequel no one wants just to secure the license for years more, basically to prevent Marvel from pulling a Daredevil (where Fox let the rights slip after an attempted reboot failed to come together in time, and Marvel turned it into Netflix gold).

- They could collaborate with Marvel on future movies, a la Sony and the Spider-man situation.  Whether this would entail another reboot, as Spider-man has, well, who knows?  Apparently there is much worse blood between Fox and Marvel than there was between Sony and Marvel though, so a deal could be hard to reach.

- They can cross the Fan 4 over with the X-men, and hope that one franchise could save the other.  I don't know if this is seriously being considered, since crossover talk was nixed in the lead-up to the Fan 4's poor launch this weekend, probably because Fox doesn't want to taint their good superhero series with this one.  I only include this because I've seen it discussed a few places online.

How likely any of these scenarios are I have no idea, but I think that covers everything I've seen discussed.

BentonGrey

Marvel/Disney has the money to make it worth their while.  We can hope. :mellow:
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Yes the argument between Fox and Marvel.Cant comment on the quality of the newest FF,but Marvel goes a bit overboard sometimes.Fox BOUGHT the rights.For money.Which saved Marvel at the time.Whatever they are,they arent so bad in this case.
Jon Farmer

stumpy

I have not actually seen this new F4 movie. A couple weeks ago, after seeing the trailer in Ant-Man, we were kind of excited about seeing it. So, this last Saturday, it was looking like we might be able to get to a mid-afternoon movie. I looked up some showtimes and then went to IMDB to see reviews, just in case. Whoa, Nelly!! This movie was thrashed in the reviews. And, usually (though not always), the opening weekend fan reviews are from people who are excited to see the movie. But, both the fan reviews were largely a mix of "I got tired of trying to explain away the plot holes to my eight-year-old son", "This storyline feels like it was stitched together by four different committees", and "Why? Why? In the name of Stan Lee, WHY?!?!" In case there is any doubt, we did not go see the movie. ;-)

Assuming that these reviews and the reported disappointing box office are an accurate reflection of Fox's fortunes with the F4 franchise, Fox has to be thinking long and hard about whether they really want to make another F4 movie. I have to wonder: Is Fox's best option to simply offer to sell the rights back to Marvel/Disney? Fox has had three tries and none of them has been impressive. Why make another flop in a couple years to preserve the right to make yet another flop even further down the line? Call up Marvel Studios and say, "You have proven you can turn these comics franchises into box office gold. But, you can't do it with F4 until we release the movie rights back to you. So, what is it worth to you?" If they can turn turn the headline from "Fox's Fantastic Flop" to "Fox makes $40M on Marvel's Next F4 Movie", then they will have done quite well. Obviously, it's more complicated than that (and more so because Marvel may be so busy with their own films for the next few years that they wouldn't have time to make an F4 pic until after Fox's do-or-die date for the next feature had already passed anyway), but it may be the best option for Fox.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 10, 2015, 03:08:40 AMApparently, Dr. Doom is "a surly, grungy cyber-hipster." Urg. Hello next generation, where all of our villains are 20 year old avatars of the worst of our culture, rather than the characters that have endured for half a century.

Spoiler
I will say after seeing the movie, the "blogger" aspect of Doom is hardly explored, at all.  Really, the most you see of Doom (aside from him unleashing havoc upon everybody once he gets his powers) is him watching over Sue with lustful eyes with him growing ever more jealous of Reed, who has not only solved a problem that he could not, but is also "winning" the affection of Sue (which there is no chemistry between them at all and they sure don't seem to really like each other).

Yes, the first scene that you see Doom is him in his room on a bunch of computers, but again, that aspect of his character is explored so little, it really isn't a big deal.  Then again, none of his character is really explored, so look at that as you will :P

stumpy

This may not be relevant to the new F4 movie (which I haven't seen), but I really find many of the romances in these movies to be contrived and uninteresting. For instance: A love triangle with Doom, Sue, and Reed? Yawn. At least a triangle with Reed, Sue, and Namor is something I remember from the comics. (That's not to say the one with Doom wasn't in the "normal" universe F4 comics in some version of the group's backstory; it's been a long time since I kept up with those books.)

But, in a movie, it's nearly impossible to develop a compelling romantic subplot between the characters, and develop the villain past being a mustache-twirler, and do justice to a superhero origin story, and still flesh out the present day story arc that (presumably) justifies most of the action. In Man of Steel, it's only about one superhero and they take the Lois and Kal romance pretty slow. And, several of my friends were still asking, "So, what's the attraction between them? Why does he like her?" At least there, in that movie, there is no love triangle (though one could argue that the triangle is Kal-Lois-Clark...). In a team movie, there is even less time available to make a simple romance work, much less a love triangle. That Doom-Sue-Reed triangle was such an uncompelling part of the 2005 F4 movie and it was so ho-hum and full of clichés. Near the end, we find that Sue never really had much interest in Doom; she just wanted Reed to fight for her. What is she, twelve years old?!? And, BTW, since guys like Doom and Richards seem to invent or acquire a device that can end the world every couple months, maybe toying with their emotions to satisfy her need for attention is kind of a bad idea? Yeesh.  :blink:
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

HarryTrotter

Well 2005 version sucked,but Julian McMahon was actually pretty good as Doom.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

This is the way I see it:
Fox needs to give Marvel back the right to the FF.  They have tried 3 times to make a decent FF movie and failed.  If they try to do a cross over with X-men, how long you think that will last?  The X-men are getting old and after "Old Man Logan" it will be hard to fill Hugh Jackman shoes as Wolverine.

If I was Marvel and had the rights to the FF, I would hold on to it until the Avengers and phase 3 ended and start phase 4 with the Fantastic Four.  Phase 1,2,3 would be Avengers related, 4,5,6 would be Fantastic Four related and have Spidey in both of them.

BWPS

Even if Marvel made a F4 movie, it'd still hold the problem that they're the worst characters, and most people aren't interested in them. I'd rather just never see anyone make another movie, and I definitely don't want their box office poison to affect the MCU.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

kkhohoho

Quote from: BWPS on August 10, 2015, 02:07:37 PM
Even if Marvel made a F4 movie, it'd still hold the problem that they're the worst characters, and most people aren't interested in them. I'd rather just never see anyone make another movie, and I definitely don't want their box office poison to affect the MCU.

If most people aren't interested in them, it's because there hasn't been a decent movie to make them interested. Did you really think the general public was interested in Ant-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy before Marvel made movies about them? If Marvel  -- and not Fox, but Marvel Studios; people will be drawn to it via Marvel Studios alone -- can make a good Fantastic Four movie, then you've got my guarantee that most people will be interested in them, simply because they'd be the stars of a good Marvel movie.

But aside from that, they're far from 'the worst characters'. They may not always be compelling protagonists, but the original Lee&Kirby comics are classics for a reason, and on top of that, they still work well as supporting characters in the larger MU. They deserve at least one good movie, and I think that if Marvel got the rights back, they could make one. (Though I'd really just want Pixar to take a crack it. The Incredibles is basically the best FF movie ever made, so imagine what they could do with an actual FF movie.)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203