Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on December 13, 2015, 07:25:53 PM
Quote from: Spade on December 13, 2015, 06:19:09 PM
You know,just saying I would like something bigger.All of those are a bit low key.

In other words, they are all doable on a TV budget.  Plus anything really big will be reserved for the movies, since that's where the real money is to be made.

Big stuff for movies, small stuff for TV.  That's how it is and how it is going to be.
So by that logic,DC should cancel Flash and Arrow and launch Young heroes in love series?Makes sense.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BWPS

I agree with you here, Flash has shown that big superhero shows are possible on the small screen, and Daredevil and JJ have confirmed you can have them without compromising the MCU's anchor to reality. There's no reason to keep things dialed back. I do like Agents of Shield  and Agent Carter a good deal, but I don't want Marvel to keep shying away from putting established superheroes on their network TV shows. Neither of the new spinoffs sound interesting to me, and I'm not sure I want to give them a chance to grow on me the way both Agent shows had to.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BentonGrey

Ehh, I know there are a lot of folks who are really loving The Flash, but for my part, I'd say it illustrates the limitations of superheroics on TV.  I watched an episode the other day with Atom Smasher and was pretty unimpressed.  The acting, the writing, and the effects were all pretty poor.  I suppose your mileage will vary, but I'd rather they do what they can do well, which it seems is street-level characters.  Still, it seems to me that complaining about not having enough superhero content on TV is a bit silly in this day and age.  Haha, we're spoiled for content, some of it truly, unquestionably good^_^
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 14, 2015, 04:10:15 PM
Ehh, I know there are a lot of folks who are really loving The Flash, but for my part, I'd say it illustrates the limitations of superheroics on TV.  I watched an episode the other day with Atom Smasher and was pretty unimpressed.  The acting, the writing, and the effects were all pretty poor.  I suppose your mileage will vary, but I'd rather they do what they can do well, which it seems is street-level characters.  Still, it seems to me that complaining about not having enough superhero content on TV is a bit silly in this day and age.  Haha, we're spoiled for content, some of it truly, unquestionably good^_^
When Marvel has telepathic gorillas and man-sharks then I will admit their shows are better.Tuesday night-Flash or Agents of Shield?I know what Im watching.
Daredevil managed to stretch an origin story(it adapts Frank Millers Man without Fear) worth at best 2 episodes to 13 FREAKING EPISODES.Again 13 episode origin story.Not saying it didnt have some good sides,but horrible pacing really runs into ground.
Netflix series had a lot of potential but they sadly wasted it.They were just trying too hard to be grimdark.
Now-what you like isnt really the issue here,the issue was just that DC pays more attention to TV-shows.Not saying every episode should be expensive as a movie,but a little more money and effort would go a long way.For example,wouldnt a show about black ops superhero team(however you name it) be interesting to see?
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Except that... no, DC really doesn't. *Greg Berlanti* cares about the TV shows, and it comes through in a show about Green Arrow of all things. *DC* by contrast, won't let the showrunners use half the characters they'd like... despite making a clear break between the movies and TV shows, DC still won't let the Arrowverse use characters and ideas it deems too important for them. Blue Beetle, the Suicide Squad, Green Lantern, etc. are all things DC corporate has either denied the use of or, in the case of the SS, had them remove later on to not conflict with the brand. They're not even allowed to make an offhand reference to Gotham or Batman because Fox owns the rights.

Meanwhile, Agents of Shield wants to have Nick Fury show up? Sure, why not. Daredevil and Jessica Jones want to make repeated references to the Avengers films? Go for it u guys, that's free advertising. Yes, most of the Netflix shows have fewer special effects then Flash, but what they lack in effects, they MORE than make up for in better cinematography, better writing, better acting, better sound work, and better overall stories. And if you bothered to watch more than five episodes of AoS, you'd know the effects on that show are easily comparable to flash, just with less psychic gorillas and more Inhuman monsters that blast holes in people's chests.

Don't get me wrong, I love Flash too (and seriously, Benton, don't let that be your only episode. That was easily one of the weakest in the season, probably in the show), but it has more than it's fair share of flaws... villains of the weak that are often more one-note than MCU villains, special effects that are good for tv, but not great, and it gets bogged down in soap opera-esque drama. It's saved by some fantastic acting with Wells/Zoom, intriguing overall narratives, and a clear love for the world and characters they're playing with... something the DCCU could learn from, frankly. But saying one is better than the other because that one is getting more "attention" is sheer lunacy. Yes, Marvels will they/won't they is annoying sometimes, but I'll take that over DC's flat indifference and absurd character limitations.

If they were connecting the universes like Marvel I'd be ok with it, but they've flat out said they won't do that. And honestly, the one advantage I see to keeping the media separate is that the Arrowverse CAN use Superman, Green Lantern, Blue Beetle, and whoever else they want on the TV shows, where Marvel is limited based on what actors are willing to cameo where.

HarryTrotter

Daredevil and Jessica Jones want to make repeated references to the Avengers films.
Oh yeah,thats really the proof of good incorporation in the universe.  :thumbup:
But if you like your superhero shows grimdark and slow,who am I to stop you in that? ;-)
But seriously now,not saying that DC doesnt have problems,just saying they are doing a better job then Marvel(with some shows),even if Marvel is more marketing savvy.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Spade on December 15, 2015, 10:05:31 AM
Daredevil and Jessica Jones want to make repeated references to the Avengers films.
Oh yeah,thats really the proof of good incorporation in the universe.  :thumbup:
But if you like your superhero shows grimdark and slow,who am I to stop you in that? ;-)
But seriously now,not saying that DC doesnt have problems,just saying they are doing a better job then Marvel(with some shows),even if Marvel is more marketing savvy.

So on the other hand they shouldn't make grimdark shows (even though the comic Jessica Jones based on is just as dark as the series) and on the other hand, you also think they shouldn't make a light hearted comedy?  So they should only make the shows with the tone that you approve of?  Bit arrogant there, don't you think?

What's wrong with Marvel shows appealing to different audiences with different tones?  The Netflix shows are darker, some of the ones in planning will be light hearted(and Agent Carter already is), and Shield stands somewhere in between.  Different tones for different folks.  What's wrong with that?
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

Im rooting to see shows I like?How dare I? <_<
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Spade on December 15, 2015, 10:21:53 AM
Im rooting to see shows I like?How dare I? <_<

That's fine, but first you say you don't like them doing a comedy, then you say all they are doing is grimdark.  That's what we call a contradiction.

In any case, Marvel is not gong to do traditional superhero TV shows.  There is way too much money in the movies for them to add any of the big names to television.  Furthermore, their TV show experiments, particularly the Netflix shows, have been far too popular and well received for them not to keep doing that.  Like it or not, the mass of people is not with you and they are going to market to the mass of people out there.

As for DC, they are trying to mimic Marvel.  Flash and Arrow slipped in before they started to do so, or they wouldn't exist either.  They aren't doing anything particularly dark at the moment except for maybe Gotham, a show I don't bother to watch, but you still won't see any new big name stuff on DC television unless Batman V Superman flops, and I just don't see that happening.

If both the Flash TV show and movie turn out to be successful because of each other instead of in spite of each other, than you might have a chance.  That's the only one I see.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

Here we go again...I said I didnt like the idea of low budget show focused on a cleaning crew-words I dont like comedy were never used.There are other titles more deserving of an adaptation.
But anyway,those were just my thought on what I would like to see,I dont really care to dissect EVERY show out there.But your welcome to continue without me.
Maybe if Marvel and Fox continue cooperating,we could see X-Factor investigations,or Alpha Flight or Excalibur in some form(TV,movie,any adaptation).Its never going to happen,but I can hope.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on December 15, 2015, 11:22:09 AM
Here we go again...I said I didnt like the idea of low budget show focused on a cleaning crew-words I dont like comedy were never used.There are other titles more deserving of an adaptation.
But anyway,those were just my thought on what I would like to see,I dont really care to dissect EVERY show out there.But your welcome to continue without me.
Maybe if Marvel and Fox continue cooperating,we could see X-Factor investigations,or Alpha Flight or Excalibur in some form(TV,movie,any adaptation).Its never going to happen,but I can hope.

I don't agree with much you've said, but X-factor Investigations would make for a good show.

HarryTrotter

Deadpool Red Band trailer 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZIM1HydF9UA
Its so unfunny that you just have to laugh.Then you kinda feel bad for laughing.  :blink:
Jon Farmer

BWPS

This looks like the kind of movie a 13 year old kid with ADD would write while his parents weren't supervising him. Or in other words, freaking awesome.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on December 25, 2015, 05:09:01 PM
Its so unfunny that you just have to laugh.Then you kinda feel bad for laughing.  :blink:

Ah, I am once again in complete disagreement with you.  All is right in the world.

HarryTrotter

^So cute you think I care about your opinion. ;)
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

WHAT?! Deadpool acting LIKE his comic character IN A FOX movie AND not written by Liefield ?!?! My God, IT WILL BE HORRIBLE!!!! DEADPOOL should be a mercenary with his mouth sewn shut.. oh, wait that was the movie version that sucked AND had him with katanas in his forearms with teleporting and optic blasts.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

You do know hes actually funny in the comics?At least if Fabian Nicieza is writing him.
Here-jokes are just so unfunny that they are actually hilarious.You do know that feeling right?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: crimsonquill on December 26, 2015, 06:04:29 AM

WHAT?! Deadpool acting LIKE his comic character IN A FOX movie AND not written by Liefield?!?! My God, IT WILL BE HORRIBLE!!!! DEADPOOL should be a mercenary with his mouth sewn shut.. oh, wait that was the movie version that sucked AND had him with katanas in his forearms with teleporting and optic blasts.

- CQ

I think we can all agree Deadpool's (all versions of Deadpool) style of humor is not for everyone and can be an acquired taste. He tends to ride the line between being genuinely funny and being annoying (so much so that in movies, cartoons and games, it's up to the delivery of the actor to sell the material) and his humor also is often crass (including here), and again, that's not everyone's cup of tea. I've always said that it says a lot about someone's sense of humor which writer(s) on Deadpool they prefer.

QuoteYou do know hes actually funny in the comics?At least if Fabian Nicieza is writing him.

Having read a large chunk of DP's comics, I think it really depends on the writer. I was never that impressed with Daniel Way's run (the post 2009 era in general, actually) and always thought the jokes felt forced. I am a fan of Fabian's writing on the character, though personally Simone was always my favorite.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BWPS

Quote from: Spade on December 26, 2015, 05:55:09 AM
Because everyone here hangs on your every word.

JeyNyce

Quote from: BWPS on December 27, 2015, 12:58:35 AM

That's how I work on my upper body parts!   :P
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

^You are so funny you could actually write for this movie.If you dont care why are you starting an argument over it?
Jon Farmer

detourne_me

Quote from: JeyNyce on December 27, 2015, 03:56:06 AM
Quote from: BWPS on December 27, 2015, 12:58:35 AM

That's how I work on my upper body parts!   :P

:thumbup:
That is pretty funny!
Anyway, back on topic, I think this movie will actually be pretty decent, but I was a bit worried about the quality of the cgi for colossus.  It should look ok in the finished product, though. I'm also surprised to see how much footage from the test reel they've used.   I bet that test reel was not only proof of concept for the producers, but also partway through the movie.

So are there any theories on who the mystery dude that made dead pool is? Related to Stryker in any way?

HarryTrotter

Considering Ajax is the villain of the movie,take a guess who hes working for?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

comicbook.com/2015/12/28/jeff-wadlows-x-force-movie-lineup-revealed/
We have concept art for X-force movie.There are rumors Cable will debut in Deadpool 2 btw.
Its pretty classic lineup-Cable,Domino,Warpath,Cannonball and...Boom-Boom maybe?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

It's not Boom-Boom  :( it's Feral.  I wish it was Boom-Boom, she was one of my favorites.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Tomato

JeyNyce

Quote from: Tomato on March 10, 2016, 05:55:01 PM
YES! YEEESSSS!

I can see Tomato waiting for the action figure to come out