Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Well... maybe not. Don't get me wrong, I love how they're showcasing him, but that costume... it's meh. The eyes are cool and I like the cleaner look to it, but ASM2's was pretty much perfect.

stumpy

I am hoping my high expectations for this film aren't a prelude to a letdown. Odd characterizations and some other silliness aside, Marvel took on a conflict between some pretty powerful ideas with the Civil War comic. I am certainly not saying that the conflict would happen just like in the comics, but  I am saying that that conflict definitely would happen.

It would be a major task to give a coherent treatment of the issues at stake in a couple hours if one could have professors laying them out in the most articulate possible terms. My best guess is that the Civil War movie also plans to
  • introduce new characters
  • pit established teammates against one another over their practical and philosophical principles
  • depict epic superpowered battles, and
  • develop a motivating subplot, possibly involving some misdirection
    And, the movie plans to do those things while leaving the MCU intact for the ongoing continuity.

Part of me thinks Marvel is really biting off more than I can reasonably expect any movie to chew. Yet, somehow, I am kind of believing they can do it. :)
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

JeyNyce

I would like to see a big disaster at the end and the reminding heroes form the New Avengers while some go on their way and Marvel start to introduce a second wave of heroes......or at least a cameo from the Marvel Knights (netflix)
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

Well, that looks great....but, while I'm really holding onto faith in Marvel movies, I am still worried about this whole thing.  I'm still really excited, but this whole plot could so easily go bad.  I just want my heroes to be friends.  As long as this journey ends with something good, I'll be happy, but I am concerned.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

The film was screened for the press and Marvel decided to drop the embargo almost immediately.  Reactions have been very ethusiastic, with many saying the film is what Batman v Superman should have been.

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-civil-war-reactions/
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

I'm very encouraged and not very surprised by this. :D  My favorite comment has to be this:
"this movie plays like a repudiation of BATMAN V SUPERMAN. A devastating reply."
That's fantastic, and I imagine once again Marvel is going to show the world how to make a superhero movie. It's a crying shame that WB just refuses to learn from their example. At least someone is working to give the world a better class of hero.

I'm really excited because, as I said, I was a little concerned about this movie.  The fact that it seems to be tons of fun, in addition to a good story, that makes me really happy.  I'm hoping that this will be worthwhile when the dust settles. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

catwhowalksbyhimself

Word is now that they are dropping the full review embargo on the 13th, at the same time they are doing a major early screening.  This is nearly a month ahead of release, which is very unusual.  To say they are highly confident of the movie is putting it rather mildly.

Talavar

This is very encouraging.  Muzzling reviews is rarely a good sign, not that the Marvel Studio films have ever done that, though this will be early even for them.  Batman v Superman not having any reviews until a couple of days before release was an early warning bell.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It's been stated by those who have seen that film that Spiderman is in about 30 minutes of it.  10 as Peter and 20 in costume.

Him and Black Panther are being heavily praised by those who have seen it.

BentonGrey

I'm super excited about Black Panther.  I can't wait until we get a Panther solo film, too.   :)
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

Full reviews have started to appear.

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-civil-war-reviews-preview/

This one seems to say it very well.

QuoteThe shaming of "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" will continue apace — or better still, be forgotten entirely — in the wake of "Captain America: Civil War," a decisively superior hero-vs.-hero extravaganza that also ranks as the most mature and substantive picture to have yet emerged from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Very much an "Avengers" movie in scope and ambition if not title (the conspicuous absence of Thor and Hulk notwithstanding), this chronicle of an epic clash between two equally noble factions, led by Captain America and Iron Man, proves as remarkable for its dramatic coherence and thematic unity as for its dizzyingly inventive action sequences; viewers who have grown weary of seeing cities blow up ad nauseam will scarcely believe their luck at the relative restraint and ingenuity on display.

I note that all of them that I see has indicated that neither side is portrayed as being the good guys or the bad guys.  They both have good and bad points.

This aleviates the major concern of mine.

BentonGrey

Hey-hey!  That's very encouraging!  I'm getting more excited!  :D

I particularly enjoy the BvS bashing.  :lol:
God Bless

kkhohoho

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 13, 2016, 09:23:54 PM
Full reviews have started to appear.

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-civil-war-reviews-preview/

This one seems to say it very well.

QuoteThe shaming of "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" will continue apace — or better still, be forgotten entirely — in the wake of "Captain America: Civil War," a decisively superior hero-vs.-hero extravaganza that also ranks as the most mature and substantive picture to have yet emerged from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Very much an "Avengers" movie in scope and ambition if not title (the conspicuous absence of Thor and Hulk notwithstanding), this chronicle of an epic clash between two equally noble factions, led by Captain America and Iron Man, proves as remarkable for its dramatic coherence and thematic unity as for its dizzyingly inventive action sequences; viewers who have grown weary of seeing cities blow up ad nauseam will scarcely believe their luck at the relative restraint and ingenuity on display.

I note that all of them that I see has indicated that neither side is portrayed as being the good guys or the bad guys.  They both have good and bad points.

This aleviates the major concern of mine.

So no Fuehrer Stark is what you're saying here?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Talavar

The reviews I've read so far are basically raves.  I couldn't be more excited for this to come out!

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Seeing the track record so far; and given that they are getting an ongoing and have appeared in Avengers Assemble,could it be that Marvel is preping Thunderbolts for a movie?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on April 18, 2016, 06:19:50 AM
Seeing the track record so far; and given that they are getting an ongoing and have appeared in Avengers Assemble,could it be that Marvel is preping Thunderbolts for a movie?

If so, who would actually be in it? I'd love to see the classic line-up, but most of them haven't actually shown up in the movies yet. What's the point of them being Supervillains attempting to reform if we haven't actually seen them be Supervillains?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on April 18, 2016, 06:19:50 AM

It could definitely be interesting, but given that most of the classic Thunderbolts characters have yet to appear as villains in the MCU, would they introduce all those characters at once, or sub in some of the villains already in play?  And which version of the Thunderbolts would we get?  The villains playing at being heroes, former villains seeking redemption, or a state-sanctioned program not unlike the Suicide Squad?  At various times, the Thunderbolts have been all of those things.

HarryTrotter

If I had to guess it would probably be a "government sanctioned" team.Like the Dark Reign era Thunderbolts.Maybe the authorities decide to adopt a harsher approach after Civil War.IDK,but I know that whenever somebody got a major push,they showed up in a movie.Or a TV show.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on April 18, 2016, 02:43:34 PM
If I had to guess it would probably be a "government sanctioned" team.Like the Dark Reign era Thunderbolts.Maybe the authorities decide to adopt a harsher approach after Civil War.IDK,but I know that whenever somebody got a major push,they showed up in a movie.Or a TV show.

If that turned out to be the case, what characters are around for them to use?  I've always felt it a little weird we've never heard or seen anything about the Abomination, who is presumably sitting locked away somewhere.  What other MCU villains could be potential members?  I'm having trouble thinking of too many options right now. 

JKCarrier

Quote from: Talavar on April 18, 2016, 02:53:07 PM
What other MCU villains could be potential members?  I'm having trouble thinking of too many options right now.

They could lift some from "Agents of SHIELD": Absorbing Man, Angar, Graviton, et. al.

Tomato

Quote from: Talavar on April 18, 2016, 02:53:07 PM
If that turned out to be the case, what characters are around for them to use?  I've always felt it a little weird we've never heard or seen anything about the Abomination, who is presumably sitting locked away somewhere.  What other MCU villains could be potential members?  I'm having trouble thinking of too many options right now. 

Actually, Abomination was discussed in one of the Marvel Shorts contained on the Thor DVD called "The Consultant". He's revealed to be in General Ross' custody.

I could see Baltroc, since he's relatively low level and everything. That said... I suspect the rolling out of the Thunderbolts isn't so much about a current team, as much as it is A. Marvel getting them out there before Suicide Squad comes out and they're accused of ripping off that team later down the line, and B. Because Baron Zemo is set up in Civil War.

Podmark

Quote from: Tomato on April 18, 2016, 03:33:11 PM
I suspect the rolling out of the Thunderbolts isn't so much about a current team, as much as it is A. Marvel getting them out there before Suicide Squad comes out and they're accused of ripping off that team later down the line, and B. Because Baron Zemo is set up in Civil War.

That could be it. It's also possible Marvel Studios has decided against a Thunderbolts film and cleared the team for use in Avengers Assemble.

That said I think Thunderbolts has to be on Marvel Studios' radar. It's a long running comic that could be successful as a film with the right direction (like Guardians). Considering all the iterations the comic has gone through it's a versatile property - it could be their answer to the Suicide Squad. It would be difficult to pull off the classic twist as there's currently no Masters of Evil and you need something like the missing heroes caused by Heroes Reborn to make that plot work. So I think something leaning towards the Osborn or Cage eras where villains were forced to work as heroes by the government would make the most sense (ie Suicide Squad). But knowing Marvel Studios it will probably be a hybrid of some kind.

As for existing MCU characters who could appear:
Hawkeye, Luke Cage, and Zemo have all lead the Thunderbolts in the comics.
Blizzard, Batroc, Nuke, Crossbones, Mister Hyde, Red Hulk, Elektra, and the Punisher were all members at one point.
Graviton was a notable adversary in the comics as well.

Other villains from the MCU that might make sense:
Abomination, Whiplash (is he still alive?), Absorbing Man

Then the next set of films could introduce some characters. Moonstone would be a good fit in Captain Marvel. For Black Panther, Klaw has a connection to Songbird (Angar from Agents of Shield also has a connection). Goliath (Atlas) or Eric O'Grady would be logical fits for Ant-Man and the Wasp. Beetle, Venom, Shocker, Boomerang, Speed Demon and Osborn could all appear in Spider-Man Homecoming, though I'm not clear if they can be used in other MCU movies. Genis-Vell could appear in Guardians Vol 2 or Infinity War. Bullseye could appear in the next Daredevil.

And they could easily introduce some of the members in a Thunderbolts movie itself. Suicide Squad is introducing most (technically all) of it's cast so it's possible. How much introduction does Fixer really need? ;)
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

HarryTrotter

Not sure if AA has the clause of not using MCU characters.Ultron and all.
Maybe they could be somewhat like Liberators from Ultimates 2.Like a superteam assembled by other countries as a counter to Avengers.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

A stumbling block I see in regards to a lot of these characters--Marvel Studios Film and TV sections still don't play that nice with each other.  Characters, etc., have moved from film to tv, but I don't think anything has gone the other way yet.  Of all the villains named so far, only Abomination, Crossbones, Zemo and Batroc are alive and in the hands of the film division, and Crossbones and Zemo are both in Cap 3, so their fate is up in the air at the moment.

Now, as noted, the characters don't have to all be carry-overs.  New ones can be introduced in the film itself, and in other upcoming movies.  I do feel the property is too interesting to stay dormant at Marvel for long.

HarryTrotter

And next year is the 20th anniversary of the team so it would be the perfect time...
A lot of guessing on my part,but Im sure they wouldnt revive the concept if they didnt have something planed. Sure,its not Inhumans level push,but its much more then last year,for example.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

After being delayed already, the Inhumans movie has officially been bumped from Marvel's release schedule, presumably to help make room for sequels to Doctor Strange, Black Panther and/or Spider-man.  Some are theorizing that the Inhumans movie will never happen at all now, a victim of interdepartmental wrangling between the film and TV divisions.

If that does end up being the case, I can't say that I find it too upsetting.  The Inhumans have never really taken off, and while the right film maker could maybe have done something interesting, I think there are other Marvel properties I'd rather see hit the big screen.

BentonGrey

Hmm...I don't have any strong feelings about that.  While I'd love to see the classic Inhuman royal family, and I think that could prove to be a really cool movie, there are other characters that I'd like to see more.  I'm probably most excited about seeing a Black Panther movie!
God Bless

HarryTrotter

What,despite all the shilling?
There is only one possible story to tell with them anyway.Unless Marvel gets back ALL their cosmic characters or something.
Jon Farmer