Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

The producers have spoken about their casting of the Ancient One, for which they have been heavily criticized and accused of whitewashing.  They said they were in a no-win situation.  If they has gone with making him Tibetan, China would have banned the film.  If they had made him Chinese instead, that would have offended an entirely different group of people.  So they had to offend someone basically.  And they probably have a good point.  China bans anything that even hints at Tibet being a thing and siding with them on that issue would have been bad too.  This is probably the best of they could have done.

http://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-ancient-one-whitewash-china/
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

It okay if they offend someone,as long as its not somebody important? ;)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Spade on April 24, 2016, 05:40:40 PM
It okay if they offend someone,as long as its not somebody important? ;)

Well, no, what they are saying is that it's not okay, but nomatter what they do, they were going to offend someone.  They probably went with the most financially viable option.  Americans have a habit of getting offended about stuff then shelling out billions for the thing they were offended about anyway.  Many of parts of the world are single-racial anyway, so they aren't as likely to care this change since diversity isn't even a thing with them.

HarryTrotter

And China is the second largest movie market,and is quick to ban everything...
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well yeah, that is why not offending China is high on their list.

catwhowalksbyhimself

There's a fictional news channel on Youtube now featuring in-universe stuff leading up to Civil War.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtJkDqZzoOFYbqwOIFn2Lng

EDIT: Apparently they've been around for a while and have done other Marvel films, but the last two videos are Civil War specific.

BentonGrey

That's very interesting, Cat.  I suppose from that point of view, I'm sad they DIDN'T cast someone Tibetan (if such an actor could be found).  Of course, you're right in that doing so would be financial suicide for anyone hoping to sell a film in the world market, of which China is a huge slice.

Hmm, I'm going to have to watch these videos!  I see they've got interviews with "Scott Lang" and "Darren Cross!"  How neat!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Silver Shocker

For the record, I'm happy to say those Ant-Man videos were included on the Ant-Man blu-ray, which is how I saw them. Haven't watched the others, I'll have to put them on some time.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I know its 1-2 months old news,but Sony is developing a Venom movie?
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

If Marvel is involved, that could be awesome.  In fact, I would LOVE to see an Agent Venom movie specifically.  If they're doing it on their own, history indicates trouble.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

HarryTrotter

Only info is that Dante Harper is writing the script.Does that mean anything to anyone?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Marvel Studios films have now made 10 billion dollars.

That's a lot of change.

BWPS

They deserve every penny as far as I'm concerned. I can't think of many other movies that make me laugh at completely unfunny parts just because I'm enjoying myself so much. And then they continuously find ways to top themselves. What a time to be alive, I'll keep throwing money at them as long as I can.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 16, 2016, 12:05:40 AM
Marvel Studios films have now made 10 billion dollars.

That's a lot of change.

The MCU is (and actually has been for awhile) the most financially successful movie franchise ever, which is pretty damn impressive.  I mean, James Bond beats them if you correct for inflation, but still....

catwhowalksbyhimself

Gladiator Hulk confirmed for Thor 3.  The armor is on display at Comic Con.

http://screenrant.com/thor-ragnarok-gladiator-hulk-armor-comic-con/

BentonGrey

Hmm...that is...interesting.  I'm not quite sure what to make of that.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

There so many news,whos going to list them all?Im just skipping to reactions.
Im cool with Brie Larson as Captain Marvel.Black Panther seems to be a regular MCU movie about a hero fighting his evil counterpart.Killmonger played by Michael B Jordan.
Homecoming might be going overboard with 3 villains.And Kurt Russel is Ego the Living Planet.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on July 25, 2016, 05:00:43 AM
There so many news,whos going to list them all?Im just skipping to reactions.
Im cool with Brie Larson as Captain Marvel.Black Panther seems to be a regular MCU movie about a hero fighting his evil counterpart.Killmonger played by Michael B Jordan.
Homecoming might be going overboard with 3 villains.And Kurt Russel is Ego the Living Planet.

Can you elaborate on the Spider-man villains?  I only heard about Vulture?  Otherwise, I'm cool with the rest of the news.

HarryTrotter

Toy solicitations confirmed Shocker and Tinkerer.How large are their roles,we dont know yet.
There was some more castings announced,but nothing to really comment.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on July 25, 2016, 01:41:59 PM
Toy solicitations confirmed Shocker and Tinkerer.How large are their roles,we dont know yet.
There was some more castings announced,but nothing to really comment.

To play Devil's Advocate, toy solicitations can be flat out BS.  I know they do get it right sometimes, but for every Lego Giant-man there's a lego Mandarin.

HarryTrotter

Well,its possible anyway.And not the Mandarin thing again...
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on July 25, 2016, 05:18:46 PM

I just meant that Lego sets showed some very different villain set-pieces for Iron Man 3 than existed in the movie, in contrast to Civil War, which lego largely got correct.

HarryTrotter

I got you.Just saying it could happen based on a previous case.Of Civil War.
And btw,they should really do something with the real Mandarin plot.If there were any plans to do something with that.
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Talavar on July 25, 2016, 05:44:56 PM
Quote from: Spade on July 25, 2016, 05:18:46 PM

I just meant that Lego sets showed some very different villain set-pieces for Iron Man 3 than existed in the movie, in contrast to Civil War, which lego largely got correct.

A lot of that comes from the merchandisers getting early copies of the storyline and concept art which can radically change during the film process. During Phase One and the early part of Phase Two they still were hammering out the "big plan" which usually left a lot of stuff vague and toy designers just ran with their own ideas of what they thought MIGHT happen. I highly doubt that the director Shane Black wanted anyone to know his "plot twist" so the toy folks just took what they had and figured that he would have some big event battle and ran with it. In fact I heard quite a few MCU fans admit that the LEGO toys probably had a better concept for the ending then the CGI fest of suits we ended up with so it all could be made pointless by the credits.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

Looks like Hulu ordered a Runaways series.Interesting.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

First official poster for Homecoming.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

I'm curious about the Runaways show.  They're the kids of supervillains, but supervillains are still a pretty rare thing in the MCU, so I'll be interested to see how they play the setup and connections to the MCU at large.  I imagine a lot will have to change.

Tomato

In before fan rage concerning the recent Mary Jane announcement to say I'm actually super stoked about it an all ya'll haters gonna hate

Talavar

Quote from: Tomato on August 19, 2016, 03:30:07 AM
In before fan rage concerning the recent Mary Jane announcement to say I'm actually super stoked about it an all ya'll haters gonna hate

Nope, I'm on board too.