Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

But, spydermann93 didn't claim it was a major breakthrough. The notion that people are more interested because the backdrop for the character is something familiar was (roughly) the point. Something doesn't have to turn the world upside down to be worthwhile. And, at least to my recollection, Spider-Man's social life is a pretty big part of the storylines in the comics. So, it may not be a Mary Jane movie, but MJ is a prominent role in a Spider-Man movie.

BTW, from a purely rhetorical standpoint, your earlier post kind of left a slow meatball hanging over the plate. "Is it going to help anyone in any way?" That question sets an easy standard to satisfy, as Tomato pointed out. If you had asked something like, "Is the benefit of this change greater than the cost of abandoning this aspect of the source material? Should filmmakers feel free to rewrite any aspect of an well-known character to achieve a social goal?" Then at least someone who disagrees has to do some thinking in order to address your point.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

HarryTrotter

Tomato didnt point anything there.People are excited about it,but its not gonna pay their bills or anything like that.A change(or a lack of it) isnt helping or harming anyone.Its just a casting call and nothing more.And seeing this isnt the first or last similar change-who cares?Were people excited just the same 5-6 years ago?Will they be just as excited in 5-6 years from now on?Did the world started spinning in opposite direction after any of previous changes?No.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on August 22, 2016, 09:37:29 AM
Tomato didnt point anything there.People are excited about it,but its not gonna pay their bills or anything like that.A change(or a lack of it) isnt helping or harming anyone.Its just a casting call and nothing more.And seeing this isnt the first or last similar change-who cares?Were people excited just the same 5-6 years ago?Will they be just as excited in 5-6 years from now on?Did the world started spinning in opposite direction after any of previous changes?No.

You're using a strangely reductive version of "help" here. 

spydermann93

Quote from: Spade on August 22, 2016, 09:37:29 AM

You're right. The casting choice won't "pay bills their bills or anything like that." But that's not the point. This is a thread talking about Marvel's movies. People are sharing their thoughts and opinions on a subject. In this case, it's a casting decision. Sure, it's not a new, alternative, energy source or a way to rid somebody of dementia, but it is something that our FR friends want to discuss and talk about. That's kind of what this forum was built for. We talk about comics, FF, and movies here, Spade. Nothing we review or complain about matters in the way you're saying this casting decision doesn't, so I don't know why you're trying to use that angle to try and play this out as nothing. This is a place to discuss with fellow comic fans about what's happening in our medium. Some people like the change. Some people don't. You're neutral and that's fine. More power to you. Just don't downplay somebody else's opinion by acting like their thoughts don't matter because of a strange benchmark that doesn't really apply to these kinds of threads.

Tomato

Guys, I really think it's time to stop feeding the troll. If Spade is determined to believe that people being excited about the change is merely an insignificant detail not worth discussing, than he is entitled to that opinion. For that matter, we shouldn't even be discussing the SPider-Man films at all. There've been what, 5 of them already? Having one more isn't going to significantly change anyone's life 6 years down the road, so who really cares.

BWPS

Whoa hold the gosh damn phone!

This isn't an MCU movie? What's going to stop Sony from ruining it this time? I don't like this at all. Just give up on your dreams Sony, nobody believes in you.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Tomato on August 22, 2016, 06:46:58 PM
Guys, I really think it's time to stop feeding the troll. If Spade is determined to believe that people being excited about the change is merely an insignificant detail not worth discussing, than he is entitled to that opinion. For that matter, we shouldn't even be discussing the SPider-Man films at all. There've been what, 5 of them already? Having one more isn't going to significantly change anyone's life 6 years down the road, so who really cares.
Nice strawman tactic there.Then again,you made it pretty clear your just here to argue.
Jon Farmer

detourne_me

Quote from: Spade on August 23, 2016, 04:53:56 AM

Nice strawman tactic there.Then again,you made it pretty clear your just here to argue.
:doh:
I'm not sure about your assessment here. I love chatting with Tomato and he's got a lot of insightful things to say, artwork to share and he's constantly growing and pursuing interesting new things that he shares with the community. Meanwhile, I've found that the Comics and Movies forums just aren't that much fun to be around lately.

HarryTrotter

The part where he is super excited that haters gonna hate?The fact that hes always the one who starts these funting arguments and then derails them into real world situations like the demographic of Queens?And paint anyone who doesnt share his oppinion as trolls?Insults people then howls at mods that hes the injured party?
And your not so vague with your comments as you like to think,btw.
Jon Farmer

stumpy

Folks, let's take this down half a notch. It's fine to discuss the impact various filmmaking decisions has on the comic characters the films are portraying and to disagree about those decisions and their impacts. We start to veer off course when we focus on other commenters and not on the content of their comments.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Shogunn2517

Anyone watched that new AMC show "Geeking Out" with Kevin Smith and Greg Grunberg?  They had Jepp Loeb on the show for an interviewing and he was talking about Daredevil and changes from the comic and TV show.  He said the important part is to get the characters right.  Matt has to be Matt, Karen has to be Karen and Foggy has to be Foggy he said.  As long as you have those elements audiences will go along with certain changes. 

I'm paraphrasing but I think that's critical in any of these interpretations.  This is why so many rejected X-Men 3's Jean Grey and Dark Phoenix being a split personality.  Why Batman Begins and the Dark Knight worked well, kept the character consistent.  Anytime you change a character ANY WAY, whether it's race or motivation or even costume, it will cause a stir with fans.  Especially the nerd community.

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on August 24, 2016, 04:51:09 AM
Anyone watched that new AMC show "Geeking Out" with Kevin Smith and Greg Grunberg?  They had Jepp Loeb on the show for an interviewing and he was talking about Daredevil and changes from the comic and TV show.  He said the important part is to get the characters right.  Matt has to be Matt, Karen has to be Karen and Foggy has to be Foggy he said.  As long as you have those elements audiences will go along with certain changes. 

I'm paraphrasing but I think that's critical in any of these interpretations.  This is why so many rejected X-Men 3's Jean Grey and Dark Phoenix being a split personality.  Why Batman Begins and the Dark Knight worked well, kept the character consistent.  Anytime you change a character ANY WAY, whether it's race or motivation or even costume, it will cause a stir with fans.  Especially the nerd community.

Yeah, I'm gonna say that's mostly BS.  Foggy and Karen are definitely not the same as their comic book counterparts.  Batman Begins and the Dark Knight are pretty terrible examples of being faithful to the comics as well.  That's not to say they're bad, and you could make the argument that they've kept the heart of the characters from the comics (which X-men 3 did not, and I would argue most of the MCU adaptations have).  To tie this back in, if the heart of MJ's character is that she's a redhead, if a character's defining trait is easily found or removed by hair dye, then that is a terrible character. 

Tomato

:blink: ... Like... I'm sorry, but on no level whatsoever does Batman Begins or The Dark Knight adapt anything CLOSE to the comic counterparts. I love the films, but you cannot bash Mary Jane Watson's casting in the same breath as claiming that Heath Ledger's joker, as amazing as that performance was, looks exactly like the Joker from the comics. Those films changed SO MUCH of the comic lore to fit Nolan's vision from the universe, which btw DID and DOES have people up in arms much more than MJ ever will, that I'd argue they didn't even keep the spirit of several characters in that film.

Heck, if anything, the Nolan films actually disprove your argument... Nolan outright blew off the comic lore most of the time for the sake of his vision, and the films are still critically and financially successful outings.

Shogunn2517

Relax guys, I did not say the quote nor am I saying those films are exact adoptions of the source material.  Its not about Batman Beigins or the Dark Knight.  What Loeb is saying is Bruce Wayne is Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins or Year One. Or in comic or film or animated.  Of course there are differences outside of that but what he saying is as long as the characters are consistent then that's what's most important. Whether you agree or disagree with this instance or not is your opinion.  But Bruce Wayne is still the rich guy that saw his parents killed and dresses in a Batman costume.  In his example Matt Murdock is still a blind lawyer that goes and fight crime.  And here, Peter Parker is still the kid that gets bit by a spider and gets super powers. 

What he saying as if Nolan made some random rookie cop the new Robin..........

So if you are saying such changes in characters has people up in arms then that's what I'm saying.

HarryTrotter

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/136157-watch-what-thor-was-doing-during-captain-america-civil-war.html
Now we know what thor was doing during Civil War.
-Is purple
-Has a magic glove
-Doesnt like standing up
Jon Farmer

stumpy

HarryTrotter

And thats why Thor isnt worlds greatest detective...
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Okay, that was worth watching.  The fact that they don't take themselves too serious is probably part of the reason they keep succeeding.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Talavar

So much of that was entertaining.  Thor, slightly pathetically waiting for a call from either Tony or Steve, Daryl low-key hating him the entire time, Mjolnir's bed--all nicely done.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

daglob

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/m/caf1c541-7f2a-3e9e-913e-355634197aba/ss_fan-theory-about-stan-lee-as.html

Makes sense to me. After all, we know what position Jack Kirby holds in the Marvel Universe...

BentonGrey

The Team Thor thing was hilarious.  Cat is right, there's definitely an element of fun evident in this that is part of Marvel's continued success.  Ha, it is just so great that these folks seem to really be invested in this world and these characters.  They're clearly having a good time, and that is paying off.

"Send a raven."   :lol:

DG, man, if that turned out to be true, it would be beyond amazing.  That would make my decade.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

detourne_me

So I just left the theater for Doctor Strange. I think Marvel has another hit on their hands. The FX in this movie are just off the charts. The story is what youd expect from Marvel, full of action, drama, and of course it's funny.
There were quite a lot of references to the source material, too.  :thumbup:

Talavar

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!  It's currently sitting at 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, so it is looking like Marvel has done it again.  Now if I only I could overcome my jealousy that you can already have seen this when it doesn't come out in North America for 2 weeks.

detourne_me

Yeah Korea's pretty lucky for getting movies early.
Ill probably watch it in theaters again.  It was that good. Need to brush up on my objects/relics of power before i watch it again though. I did identify quite a few of them, but im sure there are more easter eggs i missed.

spydermann93

How were the villains in this movie?

detourne_me

Re:villains (plot point spoiler free, names only)
Spoiler
Mordo was built up really well for a heel turn, so that's a good point. Dormammu was barely in it, but shows a lot of potential, too. The main villain (Mads Mikkelson, I think) was a bit of a throwaway, though.

HarryTrotter

http://itcamefromdarkmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/bbc-online-posts-new-captain-britain-tv.html?m=1
Here is an update on that rumored Captain Britain project.Rumored is the key word.
Another rumor is that Deaths Head might show up in GotG2.That would be nice,yes?
Jon Farmer

Tomato

So I was originally gonna watch Strange today, but my friends dragged me to a late showing last night. Really good film, probably the most visually impressive film Marvel's done, by far.

Spoiler
Mordo's characterization was interesting, and while it is a departure from the comics, I DO like that they've set him up as a different type of antagonist than Dormammu and the main villain of this film. The method Strange uses to win is brilliant ("I've come to bargin"), and Night Doctor (She is not a nurse here) was handled fairly well and led to some great comedic moments.

I will say, the ONE thing that broke my immersion was, of all things, Cumberbatch's performance. For some reason, rather than just allow him to use his natural accent, Benedict is using a sort of half-americanized accent that cracks more than once during the movie's run time. I'd have honestly preferred they just let him be British, it's not like it changes the character in any way, and they can hand wave it like they did with Abomination a few years back.

That said, I did like the subtle jab at Sherlock in there as well, the one with the cloak.

cmdrkoenig67

I'm excited to see Dr Strange soon.  I just bought Capt America: Civil War and really enjoyed it.  I also purchased Ant-Man (which I had already rented) and loved it just as much in this second viewing.  I do wish they had Dr Pym's daughter named Janet and her mom named Maria (Pym's 1st wife in comics).

Dana