Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Except that canonically, Hope IS Hank and Janet's daughter in the comics... albeit in an alternate future timeline. Having Janet be Hank's daughter and not his wife would have upset a lot of fans, and it'd be a really bad idea because now you'd now have people who had only seen the movies go see the HankXJanet in the comics and think something entirely different was going on. That would not have been smart, on any level.

cmdrkoenig67

I didn't know that, Tomato.  That makes much more sense to me..lol.  Thanks for the info.

Dana

HarryTrotter

Doctor Strange was better then I expected.Its still a pretty by-the-numbers origin story thou.
Mordos arc went pretty well,and sets him up as an interesting villain in the sequels.And they kinda wasted Scott Adkins here,I have to say.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Pinker Dinklage is reportedly up for a role in Avengers Infinity War.
As soon as I saw this I immediately thought of Pip the Troll. Which, if played by Tyrion Lanister, would probably be the only time I actually liked Pip. Others have suggested the Watcher. I could totally see him as the Watcher, but hopefully he do a better job as him than he did in his role in the video game Destiny. "That wizard came from the moon."
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

That'd be one way to go.

Actually, I hadn't thought of this last night (I was kinda tired at the time, so maybe that's why) but come to think of it, Fox probably has the rights to the Watcher since he originated in Fantastic Four and tended to interact with them a lot.

[Edit: D'oh, I said Sony when I meant Fox. And that's not even the first time I made that mistake today while talking to someone.]
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Could be, SS.  He's certainly strongly associated with them, and that deal ended up including a ton of characters.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

But apparently,they trade characters sometimes.Thats how Mavel got Ego for GotG 2.
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Quote from: Silver Shocker on January 12, 2017, 01:10:13 AM
Pinker Dinklage is reportedly up for a role in Avengers Infinity War.
As soon as I saw this I immediately thought of Pip the Troll. Which, if played by Tyrion Lanister, would probably be the only time I actually liked Pip. Others have suggested the Watcher. I could totally see him as the Watcher, but hopefully he do a better job as him than he did in his role in the video game Destiny. "That wizard came from the moon."

Maaaan, Stan Lee is the Watcher.

BentonGrey

I've heard that, and if they went that route, I'd be totally onboard.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Silver Shocker

Photos have emerged of Peter Dinklage getting his hair dyed a fiery red, lending credence to the theory that he's playing Pip the Troll.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige is saying that Thanos will be the main character in Avengers: Infinity War. "That's a bit of a departure from what we've done before."

I really like the sounds of it. After several years and 3 movies of Thanos sitting on a throne in a mere cameo, they have to really deliver the goods and this sounds like a way to go. It also sounds like the potential to replicate Thanos morbid fixation with Death from the comics and fix the main recurring criticism of the MCU movies, that most of the villains aren't fleshed out or interesting.

On a slightly related note, here's the Guardians of the Galaxy superbowl ad

MANTIS!!
~Rocky Balboa

spydermann93

Spoiler
Oh SNAP! Is she going to be more than just a cameo!?!!? :o

Silver Shocker

Quote from: spydermann93 on February 07, 2017, 02:36:32 AM
Spoiler
Oh SNAP! Is she going to be more than just a cameo!?!!? :o

Spoiler
Indeed. But it doesn't stop there.

Spoiler
She's going to be in Avengers Infinity War too!  :thumbup:
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Still a bit of a rumor really,but the word from Fox is that Alpha Flight and Exiles are being considered.After Deadpool,Gambit and X-force cycles.
I kinda thought Marvel still owns the right to AF.They are an X-men spinoff,but not a lot of mutants there IIRC.
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Quote from: Spade on March 22, 2017, 05:54:09 PM
Still a bit of a rumor really,but the word from Fox is that Alpha Flight and Exiles are being considered.After Deadpool,Gambit and X-force cycles.
I kinda thought Marvel still owns the right to AF.They are an X-men spinoff,but not a lot of mutants there IIRC.

That would be very interesting. Hmm...

HarryTrotter

I hate to complain about representation,but can we get Excalibur?Or something?Anything?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on March 23, 2017, 06:25:30 PM
I hate to complain about representation,but can we get Excalibur?Or something?Anything?

Not unless you dirty red coats are willing to admit you lost the War of 1812. We're still a bit sore over the whole White House burning thing you know.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Now,lets not go into who lost which war.Or who showed up late for every war.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

I mean... weren't there talks of a BBC produced Captain Britain show going around for a bit? What happened to that?

But yeah, I think the big problem with Excalibur right now is that Marvel is trying to keep up with not only the growing number of sequels, but also trying to squeeze in new films like Black Panther and Captain Marvel, which have a more diverse selection of lead actors. Having yet another team film show up with a white male lead (much less another Captain) might be problematic.

Also, Excalibur itself might be a problem due to rights issues. That's a book that's typically made up of at least half X-men characters, so is it straight up included in the X-men rights (if so, good luck getting it out of Fox) or is it a Marvel property but they just can't use X-men in it.

HarryTrotter

Last I heard(sometime last year),it still wasn't even pitched to Marvel.So the lack of news leads me to believe its not happening.
Actually,I was talking about Fox possibly doing Excalibur,since I assumed they own the rights to it,like with Alpha Flight.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

They might well have full rights (I did a bit of googling after posting and that does SEEM to be the case) but even then, it's Fox. Y'know, the same movie company that hasn't even made a good Fantastic Four movie, and whose X-men films only seem to have a 50% success rate? Even if by some miracle they bothered with Excalibur(and again, this is the same company that had to be bullied into Deadpool, who has a much more vocal fanbase than Excalibur), would you really want to see the mangled mess that they put out?

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on March 24, 2017, 04:34:27 AM
Now,lets not go into who lost which war.Or who showed up late for every war.

I'll have you know, America is never late. We arrive exactly when we mean to. Gandalf says so.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

@Tomato That was just wild guessing on my part,I really doubt Excalibur will happen.Best case scenario,AF is 8-10 years away.
On the company to company basis,I think Marvel would have handled F4 better,but I also doubt they would ever okayed Deadpool or Logan.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

I think they would have Oked Deadpool (Marvel has pushed Deadpool in extended media for a while. XMLII, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Hulk Vs Wolverine, the Deadpool game...) but I think it would have been a very different film than we got. I highly doubt Disney would have allowed the raunchy, hard R rated film that went out of its way to be snarky about the genre that made Marvel Studios billions of dollars. That said, it WOULD have had a better budget (though, I've always been a proponent of restrictions like budgets can lead to a better product).

On an unrelated note, I went out and finally bought Guardians of the Galaxy in preparation for the sequel (don't get me wrong, it's a good film, but unlike say, Ant-Man, where I had an invested interest in the character, I don't care AT ALL about the Guardians outside of the MCU). I've been putzing my way through the special features, and I find it interesting that the one thing brought up constantly by James Gunn, the actors, and the production staff isn't the humor, the story, or much about the CGI... the biggest thing they were thinking about was color. James Gunn's big push for Guardians of the Galaxy was to bring color back to space operas, and a LOT of care was taken to find just the right shades of green for Gamora, of pink for one of the major alien races, the colors for Drax... even the dreary, desolated planet the film opens on is balanced by a vibrant skyline. It's one of those things that sounds bizarre to talk about... until you look at the other side of the aisle and see the utter failure of color usage.

BentonGrey

Hmm, that's fascinating about GoG, 'Mato.  That makes perfect sense, and the result is quite a brilliant job on their part.  It looks like it may have had the intended effect too, judging by the coming attractions.
God Bless

detourne_me

Just left the theater for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Just a fantastic movie, and so many great references for comic fans. Ill be seeing it again, for sure!

BentonGrey

DM is right.  Here's my initial impression:

To take a break from the doom and gloom that is becoming the standard in our world, we went to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 yesterday.  It was amazing.  Go see it immediately, especially if your spirits could use a lift.

It's hilariously, uproariously funny, and it also manages to have a solid emotional core.  The movie blends absurdity into its dramatic moments which makes them both ridiculous and yet touching at the same time.  That's an impressive balancing act.

It is also a spectacle of the highest order.  It is just a BEAUTIFUL film, full of riotous, wondrous visuals and joyous neon colors.  I haven't had this much fun watching a movie in a long time, and I would say it is even better than the first one.

On a slightly spoiler-y note:

Spoiler
I can't believe I just watched a film featuring Ego the Living Planet, the Watchers, and Adam Warlock (however briefly).  They even gave us the full visual of Ego's world-face.  I never thought I'd see either of those in a million years, even after the successes of Marvel's other hard-to-adapt properties.  Marvel can clearly do whatever they want, and now they're just showing off.  Characters and concepts that I was quite certain could NEVER work on film worked tremendously well.  I also can't believe that they teased the original Guardians of the Galaxy, after a fashion.  As if the new Guardians aren't obscure enough!  How amazing!

We're living in a golden age of superhero films (that are made by Marvel), where the hard work has been done, and now we can just bring the beautiful madness of comics to film.
God Bless

Deaths Jester

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 05, 2017, 07:12:46 PM
On a slightly spoiler-y note:

Spoiler
I can't believe I just watched a film featuring Ego the Living Planet, the Watchers, and Adam Warlock (however briefly).  They even gave us the full visual of Ego's world-face.  I never thought I'd see either of those in a million years, even after the successes of Marvel's other hard-to-adapt properties.  Marvel can clearly do whatever they want, and now they're just showing off.  Characters and concepts that I was quite certain could NEVER work on film worked tremendously well.  I also can't believe that they teased the original Guardians of the Galaxy, after a fashion.  As if the new Guardians aren't obscure enough!  How amazing!

We're living in a golden age of superhero films (that are made by Marvel), where the hard work has been done, and now we can just bring the beautiful madness of comics to film.

Who are you calling obscure, BG?!?!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Silver Shocker

All joking aside, pretty nifty, even if non-comics fans are gonna have no idea who any of these guys are.

Saw it this weekend. Worth seeing. I feel it's a great an example of a movie that's paradoxically so good that you can forgive that it's not that good. I don't think it's as good as the first one by a good amount, but it's definitely not bad. It's Marvel Baby!

The two big issues for me (which I've seen shared by others both online and in RL) is wonky story structure and the humor being a little more forced and hit-or-miss. But you love the characters so much and the dramatic elements of the film are done well enough that it doesn't really matter. I also found the film, compared to the first one, contrived to have the retro soundtrack in play this time around. We know from the first film why Star Lord cares so much about those tunes, but why is everyone else so eager to put them on?

I'll say this though: the movie's a visual spectacle, that's for sure. Almost makes me regret not seeing it in 3D.

Kurt Russell was great in this. I'm not that familiar with his work, but he did great stuff with his material here, and made for a really cool, interesting take on a Marvel character I've never had much interest in.

Good to see Stallone still getting work, even if this is quite possibly the easiest paycheck he's ever earned in his career.

Space-Merle...I mean Yondu was great in this. I still want that high tech arrow weapon of his.

I was disappointed to see a lack of discussion of Mantis, both in the reviews I watched and in general. So I'll just say I love the MCU version of Mantis. I love the look, I love the way she talks, I love that she comes off like the kind of cute alien girl Captain Kirk would want to romance. I love the interactions between her and Drax, I love how she's another example of the MCU not just adapting a longtime character but actually elevating them (such as with Tony Stark, Star-Lord, Drax, Ultron, Vision, Kingpin, Purple Man and arguably others). I like that she had a decent role in the plot (more than I was expecting, to be honest). It's always a good sign with a new character when your big takeaway is that you want to see more of them (a feeling I also had with the new young stars in the Force Awakens).

[edit] one other thing:

QuoteThe movie blends absurdity into its dramatic moments which makes them both ridiculous and yet touching at the same time.  That's an impressive balancing act.

You know, I was thinking about that too. The thing it most reminded me of in that regard is some of the more creative manga and anime series like One Piece and Full Metal Alchemist. Outside of that wheelhouse (and maybe Scrubs) you don't tend to see that balancing act too often.

Perfect example:

Spoiler
The scene in the trailer where Mantis gets hit by a meteor. In the trailer, it's a purely comedic scene, complete with a different take from Drax. In the actual film, it's partly humorous because of how random it was, but otherwise it's actually an "oh crap"
moment because she was the only thing keeping Ego docile and she just got knocked out. I was actually really impressed at this moment of the marketing and the actual film teaming up to enhance the experience by playing with your expectations.

Some breif spoiler discussion:
Spoiler
You've gotta give the creators all the props in the world when they can make Yondu the best part of the movie, and make you genuinely care when he dies. What a great sendoff for this character. And while I did have it spoiled in advanced, I had just assumed he would be in Avengers along with the others so I really wasn't expecting anyone to die. Though I feel like I'm gonna have a Micheal Rooker deficiency in my life. That guy's getting into Sean Bean territory at this point.

I feel Kurt Russel's Ego the Living Planet will be cited by fans for years as a response to the tired old "Marvel movies don't have any good villains except Loki" complaint, and if they don't, they really should, because here's a villain who almost the entire movie resolves around and who a massive amount of time spent developing. He's compelling, he's funny in spots, he's charismatic, he's interesting, and once he's revealed as the villain, he's really hatable, making you want to see StarLord and co kick his butt.

The "Guardians 3000" cameos were fun, though at this point I do feel like the creators of the movies are showing off now in terms of how many obscure characters they can get into these movies. Would never have thought of anime Ving Rhames for Charlie-27, but i gotta admit that's a pretty awesome casting.

I don't know what's more bizarre: that Miley Cyrus has a cameo in this film, or that her character reminded me of Chaotzu from Dragon Ball Z (or if your prefer, Slippy Toad from Star Fox).

Oh I almost forgot. That mutiny sequence with Yondu? That was totally a Fox Quicksilver scene. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if someone at Marvel Studios at some point uttered the phrase "Quicksilver scene" when going over what they want in a future movie.

On a less happy note, I would like to take this opportunity to vent a long-overdue rant about industry sites being, to quote Star-Lord, A-holes when it comes to spoilers.  I'm going to put this in a spoiler tag, because it's a bit long and has (censored) profanity and I encourage people to skip it if they don't want to hear me complain about spoilers.

Spoiler
Man oh man, some of the industry sites really sunk to a new low regarding this film, to a degree I never thought possible. When Logan got a pre-credits scene instead of a post-credits scene, and following the films early release overseas CBR and Gamespot (and others, I'd imagine) took that as free reign to spoil it on the front page, I thought to myself "they'd never do that if it was a post credits scene, which is ironic because keeping it a surprise is the REASON it ran before the film instead of after it" but boy how wrong I was. CBR, Gamespot, and to a lesser extent IGN (and I imagine other sites) basically just threw up their hands and said "Hey, the film's out already overseas, and we all got to see it for free as part of our jobs, so let's all be complete and total *&^%bags and spoil everything in the film for the paying customers who have to wait another week or two." When the only thing these rat finks didn't spoil was a Hasselhoff cameo, that's &*^%ed up. Put it behind the click guys. Is that so much to ask? Have we as a society really degraded that much? I know they're not even gonna try when Game of Thrones comes back in July, but movies used to be safe, dammnit. I was all like "I'm surprised they didn't spoil THE spoiler moment of the movie." One day after I finally got to see the thing, opening U.S. and Canada weekend, Front page spoiler. Disgraceful.

Meanwhile none of the Youtube movie critics I watch spoiled anything without warning, because they actually have dignity and self-respect.
~Rocky Balboa