Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yell0w_lantern

Jumping back to Iron Man 3; there was great casting on that film.  Case in point, Guy Pearce's number one stooge, Savin, had almost no dialog but the visuals combined with the very capable acting of James Badge Dale, made me hate the character so much I was disappointed that his death scene was so short.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with Ant-Man having that plot hole. If they paved over it by phrasing a line or two better, it would have improved the film, but only by about .1%-1% IMO. To me the important thing was that it was a fun movie that did the characters justice and do lots of cool stuff with the size changing motif and for me they did it. I'll always acknowledge that not everyone was going to love Ant-Man, and it's not one of the best MCU movies, but it's one of my favorites chiefly because I have a fondness for the source material.

To give an example of the opposite, I'm not a Dr. Strange fan, so I didn't love the movie, but it was certainly decent. Neat visuals, and Cumberbatch was good as course. I watched it as a digital rental but once the psychedelic imagery started showing up I naturally said "This would have looked great in 3D".

James Hong would have been fun as the Ancient One. I always love that guy whenever he pops up in stuff.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

yell0w_lantern

So... Captain America Civil War.
Overall, I enjoyed it though I consider it more of an Avengers Light than just a Captain America movie.
Ironically, I found it absolutely believable that General Thunderbolt Ross, the man responsible for the MCU's Abomination, was made Secretary of State and charged with ensuring the Avengers don't run amok.
But the conveniently placed video camera recording the assassination of the Starks was a little hard to believe.
Yellow Lantern smash!

BentonGrey

YL, I think you could no-prize the camera as a deliberate choice on the part of the Russians, who wanted it documented: i.e., they chose the spot BECAUSE of the camera.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

yell0w_lantern

Maybe until you realize that Bucky shoots the camera.  He was brainwashed enough to kill a man he knew but not enough to just just take down the video camera.  Oh, no! Instead he gets a sullen look on his face, points a gun at it, and blows it away.  Obviously, aham-handed screenwriting to provide credible proof of Buck's guilt to Tony Stark.
Yellow Lantern smash!

yell0w_lantern

Quote from: kkhohoho on May 28, 2017, 03:38:27 AM
Quote from: yell0w_lantern on May 28, 2017, 03:29:28 AM
My one major Quibble with Dr Strange was simply casting.  I totally would have cast James Hong as the Ancient One.  The guy deserves to be the Sorcerer Supreme for once.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0393222/

Yeah, about that. Nothing against Hong, but the sad fact is that Marvel wasn't going to cast any Asian guy as the Ancient One simply due to China having a hate-on for Tibet. If such a grand position as Sorcerer Supreme were given to a Tiebetan character, China (one of Marvel's most lucrative investments in terms of movie-goers,) would have freaked, and while they well could have made Hong Japanese or even Chinese, Marvel still probably thought it'd be a bit too close for comfort. Mind you, it still sounds freaking stupid, but it was simply the reality of the situation.

According to the dvd case, the temple is in Nepal. So it looks like they completely avoided Tibet which brings me right back to JAMES HONG, Mr. Burton! 😀
Yellow Lantern smash!

Ouflah

Yeah I totally agree, James Hong as the Ancient One would have been perfect.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

HarryTrotter

The movie add more confusion by the claim she is Celtic.Whats the point there?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on June 02, 2017, 04:26:15 PM
The movie add more confusion by the claim she is Celtic.Whats the point there?

The point is 'Not remotely Tibet.' ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Notice the temple is in Nepal,not Ireland.They bothered so much to avoid being banned in China,yet they also decided that the oriental mystic thing is too cool to give up.
But this is another thing we went over a dozen times already.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

That's an interesting reasoning and giving more credit to boardroom execs than I would have. I thought the reason was because casting an Asian in the role of the Ancient One would come off as debased, therefore they steered away from that. In other words an old Asian man with a ridiculously long beard that perhaps adds too many w's too his vocabulary which in turn sounds very Yoda. Just noting that in a lot of films and who can blame anyone really. When they do that even when it's meant to be genuine the kind of red glare that ignites both online and in the syndicated media...well, yeah.

HarryTrotter

Well,I will risk sounding blunt,but the thing is-Hollywood likes Asian culture,but Asian people,not so much.
Jon Farmer

stumpy

Interesting notion, SA. I wouldn't have too much trouble believing that well-intended efforts at diplomacy or political correctness (or whatever you call it when people avoid doing something that is fine except that it might offend someone) at either end of the spectrum kept someone like Hong out of the role. Interestingly, Hong is an American from Minnesota who I overheard at a hotel in San Jose at one point speaking without any accent.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

SickAlice

Exactly though. Like they have no issue with representation culture if it doesn't stand out as stereotypical. Like Cho for example is Asian but not stereotypical. Again even when genuine, the backlash from Django Unchained outspoken as such. Else when I thought about this today if it's down to realism Celtic Druidism is actually a closer match to how they use their powers (circles, summoning, spell-crafting, runes, symbols and invocation) then is Tibetan lore.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Infinity War first look video.  Note that there is no footage from the movie whatsoever and the first half is the Thor actor clowning around with action figures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg6X22hFuV8

But you do get to see some concept art, some interviews and the actors for Spider Man, Iron Man, and Star Lord all together for the first day of filming, as well as an explanation of some of the basic plot.

Apparently, the purpose of Civil War was to make Thanos more threatening by ensuring that the heroes were not untified enough at first to stand against him.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Shogunn2517

NO! NO! They've made their point! Stop this!  We simply cannot take any more! For the love of everything holy spare us all!

Oh, the humanity!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/20/new-fantastic-four-movie-fox-kids-rumours/

HarryTrotter

Why not Power Pack then?
Jon Farmer

daglob

HarryTrotter

At this rate 3D-man movie seems just around the corner.IN 3D!
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

They seem rather determined to keep that license whether they make any money or not.   I can see why Marvel is upset.   They are basically willing to destroy the reputation of F4 in order to keep the license for it.  Why?  Who knows, at this point.  They just started to relax the F4 branding embargo a bit too.

Ouflah

Well, I mean, it could be good. The concept in itself isn't bad, it's just hard to care after all the movies that weren't good.

EDIT: Keep in mind, all the sources I've seen say it's a rumor, so it's not confirmed.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

daglob

If it was similar to The Incredibles, it might not be too bad. Something like that might be the best way to go, especially if you made it a CGI cartoon and hired good voice talent. I mean, the SFX should be good if the entire movie is, in effect, a special effect.

Bear in mind, I have absolutely  no faith in this happening.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on June 22, 2017, 09:53:10 AM
They seem rather determined to keep that license whether they make any money or not.   I can see why Marvel is upset.   They are basically willing to destroy the reputation of F4 in order to keep the license for it.  Why?  Who knows, at this point.  They just started to relax the F4 branding embargo a bit too.
Unfortunately,they bought it,they cant just give it back.They also proved they cant make money on it,so reselling the rights back might be the best option.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Good freaking heavens!  Why can't they learn from their mistakes?  Disney has enough money to make selling the rights back worth it.  Just do it and stop beating the dead horse!

Yes, it could be good, but I think they've proven that they don't have the understanding or the respect for the material necessary to treat it anywhere near right.  Yet, the question of the quality of this one movie really isn't the main issue.  No, the real problem is that if this movie actually manages to be good (or even if it just makes money despite being bad), it will just prolong the slow death of these characters, because Fox clearly has not ability to make consistently good superhero movies, especially not about the FF.  Even worse, it keeps the FF out of the Marvel U, which is where they belong.  They'd make a great center for a wave 4 of Marvel films.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

Honestly, the Fantastic 4 have a terrible reputation among movie goers now, so I doubt any film with them can be successful.  The only thing that could save them at this point is the giant reputation Marvel studios has for making good movies out of concepts that shouldn't work, but of course they are specifically not letting them do that.  The smart money at this point is to make a deal like Fox did with Spider Man where they retain distribution right, but hand control of the franchise back to Marvel.  Win for everyone.  But no, they are too stubborn about it.

HarryTrotter

This kinda reminds me,what MCU really lacks is any form of resolution.You are watching movie 1 to see it set up movie 2 which sets up movie 3 and so on.Without a conclusion to any of them.To me,the investment is just not worth it.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

See, I get what you're saying, but at the same time... these are adaptations of comic books, and comic books have been leading from story to story and having character crossovers for decades. Heck, you could make the case that's how Marvel made a name for itself in the first place... early Spider-Man and Fantastic Four issues are littered with crossovers to other books to act as a gateway for new readers.

So while I get not feeling like there's a big payoff for all these interacting movies... I don't need one because to me it's the same as a comic book issue leading into another one. Yes, Infinity War is going to be huge... the culmination of all these characters AND the Infinity Gem subplot, but as for an actual "conculusion" to the MCU... why? Life doesn't have an end, comics don't really have an end, why should comic book movies? I'm content with the film covering specific adventures.

HarryTrotter

Okay,look at it from a different angle,how much longer will these actors manage/want to play these rolls?What happens when you accumulate another few years of continuity and it becomes hard for new viewers to follow along?Do you reboot and start everything over?
For example,do we care to make a (insert your own example here) movie that stands on its own?Or is the point to use it as a building block for Avengers 5?
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I'm with cat. F4 is just one of those things that doesn't transfer from paper to film. They'll still peddle it of course, they pay for that copyright after all and added when companies like Fox contract the franchise rights they have a legal obligation to not only make X number of films about it but as well meet a profit margin, lest they get sued and they have as such already. Same as how we'll see umpteen revamps of films like Judge Dredd, Robocop, Godzilla, so on. Not that there's a vision or need but the company pays for these copyrights annually and they want their money back. Like if you have an employee and they don't earn, well you have to let them go in favor of not paying their insurance upkeep anymore. I just do myself the favor in not getting my hopes up about a Fantastic 4 film being good and therefore am not disappointed. Nor do end up shelling out theater prices to see it of course. In that vein I'm not jumping through hoops about the new Spider-man flick either. Maybe it will impress me, who knows. But given the track record so far I'm not going to set my bar high in anycase.