Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

All in all,just another brick in the wall.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: SickAlice on June 30, 2017, 05:39:40 PM
I'm with cat. F4 is just one of those things that doesn't transfer from paper to film. They'll still peddle it of course, they pay for that copyright after all and added when companies like Fox contract the franchise rights they have a legal obligation to not only make X number of films about it but as well meet a profit margin, lest they get sued and they have as such already. Same as how we'll see umpteen revamps of films like Judge Dredd, Robocop, Godzilla, so on. Not that there's a vision or need but the company pays for these copyrights annually and they want their money back. Like if you have an employee and they don't earn, well you have to let them go in favor of not paying their insurance upkeep anymore. I just do myself the favor in not getting my hopes up about a Fantastic 4 film being good and therefore am not disappointed. Nor do end up shelling out theater prices to see it of course. In that vein I'm not jumping through hoops about the new Spider-man flick either. Maybe it will impress me, who knows. But given the track record so far I'm not going to set my bar high in anycase.

Not sure how that constitutes agreeing with me, because I don't agree with most of that, especially the first part.  I think Fantastic 4 would be a great property for a good movie.  It's good good characters, good character interactions, some great villains, a fun scientific adventure theme not found anywhere else.  Perfect for big screen.  What I AM saying is that they have long since ruined the properties reputation.  Moviegoers who aren't comics fans associate the Fan 4 with several bad movies.  Any further ones will be doomed by that reputation.  Marvel could do it, because they have a reputation of making good movies out of things that sound terrible, so folks would give them a chance, but they won't give anyone else a chance.

I really wish I didn't have to repeat all that, but I don't want anyone think that I agree with ANYTHING that SA just said.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

kkhohoho

To be fair, there was that one Fantastic Four movie that was really darn good. Shame they didn't use their actual name. What was it called again? Oh, that's right. The Incredibles. ;)

Seriously Marvel/Fox, just hand the FF over to Pixar and let them work their magic. They've already done a heck of a Not!FF movie; think of what they could do with the actual FF. The potential's there; it just needs to be dug out, and Pixar's already proven they could do it with aplomb.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

crimsonquill

One of the Youtubers I follow had a brilliant idea on how to bring Fantastic Four into the MCU and still maintain the "old fashion" family dynamic that feels classic FF (without modernizing them which has already been done to death in the original FOX films AND Fan4Stic).

In a nutshell,  Reed Richards and Sue Storm are a couple pulled straight out of the '60s nuclear family. Reed is the loving work obsessed husband who often gets lost in his work and doesn't always remember to come out of the lab to eat or even change clothes on a daily basis. Sue is the wife who loves making sure her husband is happy way before herself and often feels like she is invisible in a very male dominated time period. Johnny is the impulsive hot headed brother of Sue who listens to loud rock music and driving fast cars without too much care of what trouble he gets into but he always looks after his sister when duty calls. Ben is a close friend of Reed and Sue and serves as their personal driver/pilot and even as their body guard. Reed often talks about clashing with one of his classmates in college, some know-it-all mad scientist named Victor,  who often boasted that his inventions would make him rich and famous enough to own his own country. One year Reed manages to create his own small crew spacecraft which could go to any planet using very little fuel and be strides ahead of anything NASA had on their drawing boards for future missions. Of course NASA doesn't really think Reed's genius can pull off this amazing craft without proof of it going on test missions first or even using animals as crew if could survive long term missions in zero gravity beyond the moon. Reed convinces Sue, Johnny, and Ben to be his test crew on a very simple mission traveling around the moon and testing some new radiation shielding along the way. The craft is launched a few months later at a private rocket testing site with Reed's crew aboard without any problems at first until they orbit the moon. Some strange radiation hits their craft out of nowhere and sends it spinning out of control. For a brief moment their ship blinks in and out of some kind of strange vortex and then it regains enough control to return back to Earth. Everyone on board feels ill and fighting to stay conscious enough to get the craft back into the atmosphere enough to crash land into the ocean. The ship succeeds it's reentry and crashes just off the coast of Florida. Reed and Sue are the first to wake after being knocked out from the impact but open the hatch to find a whole new world waiting for them. It's now 2017 and their ship is surrounded by all kinds of media and coast guard ships and helicopters. Quickly, Reed and his crew are taken to a secure location to be debriefed and they are filled in by agents that their craft was lost around the Moon and didn't even reappear until just moments before it crashed. Johnny and Ben both suddenly become very ill and their powers start to manifest. Ben transforms into a giant Rock creature and Johnny bursts into flames often flaring up to levels that are near solar flare levels. All of them are taken to old SHIELD facilities used to keep powered people in check while being studied. Sue and Reed also discover their own powers emerging but at a slower rate and try to keep their powers from being discovered until they find a way to escape with the rest of their team. Just moments after they escape some strange monster emerges from the ground near a major city (Florida? New York?) and Reed decides to jump into action by placing his family into the fray to test their new abilities. Of course they defeat this strange monster after a huge battle and now the general population sees them all as great heroes. They are dubbed the Fantastic Four by the media and Reed decides to put his full effort into finding what happened to them and hopefully finding a way to return them to normal. Now the news footage shown on film breaks away to that same moment looking at a monitor in some strange castle at while some large figure sitting on a throne in the shadows leans foward. His eyes glow brightly and he screams, "RICHARDSSSSSSS!!!" *end credit*

I'll see if I can find the video later this weekend. But I agreed this works perfectly and allows for more growth of the Fantastic Four in further sequels and expansion even within other MCU films by showing Human Torch cameoing in Spider-Man sequels or even The Thing showing up as a wrestler on some random TV program in the background.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

BentonGrey

I agree completely, Cat.  They're one of the most perfect concepts to be found in comics.  They come prepackaged with everything a story needs, conflict, pathos, humor, and hope.  They'd work wonderfully on the big screen or, even, if special effects budgets weren't a thing, on the small screen, as an episodic format would be great for their exploration themes.  They're a great set of characters, and there is a reason that their introduction to comics was revolutionary. 

CQ, that's an interesting take, but I'd say it adds wrinkles to the concept that aren't really necessary.  You'd have a whole fish-out-of-water element in such a treatment that isn't really the Fantastic Four.  A straight treatment of the characters would work just fine if it were done right, as The Incredible proved, really.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

detourne_me

Just got out of the theater for Spider-Man: Homecoming. Another homerun for Marvel in my opinion. Very funny, and one of the best villains of the MCU. His motivation is quite good, and Michael Keaton just nailed it, such a grounded character (odd, since he is a flier :P).  there are lots of cameos in the movie, too. unexpected actors and marvel characters.

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I saw it with a group tonight and we really enjoyed it. I feel very comfortable saying it's my favorite Spider-Man movie made yet. Yeah, I'd heard Micheal Keaton was great and I really enjoyed him, as well as the cameos. A lot of the humor really worked for me.

Spoiler
Micheal Mando as the Scorpion. Hell yeah!

So Zendaya aka "Michelle" turned out to be...Michelle, who popped up throughout the movie for weird little comic relief moments and then at the end said "My friends call me MJ." I actually rolled my head back in the theater at that part. So dumb, so pointless. I don't really get why they did that, but it didn't feel like it mattered because the character had no role to speak of the film, you could have taken her out and it would have made no difference. The actual love interest girl character was this movie's version of Liz Allen.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Courtnall6

Saw Spider-Man: Homecoming on Friday. I haven't been this disappointed with a Marvel film since Iron Man 3 (worst MCU film by far). After Civil War...I think I had my hopes set to high for this one.

Spoiler
Love the look but hated how over teched out his costume was. Felt more like "Iron Man Lite" than Spider-Man...with all the gadgets and the lame voiced AI. I was glad when Tony took away the suit and Peter was forced to wear his ugly homemade version. It felt like I was watching and actual underdog Spider-Man movie again. Also, where the hell was his spider sense? Did the writers research this character at all? "He sticks to things and shoots webs. Done!" lol

The pointless changes to his supporting cast were laughably bad. Flash "Thompson" was the worst. They couldn't make him less physically imposing if they tried. Michelle or "M.J." (sigh) was just annoying. The casting came off more like diversity check list for a Sunny D commercial than anything else.

The comedy was weak and cringey as hell at points. Eye rolling dialogue like the pointless slavery banter at the expense of Michelle's white (therefore lame) professor. Marvel comics are absolutely riddled this "Identity Politics" crap and are suffering badly for it. Keep it out of the movies.

Tom Holland was a good Peter/Spider-Man and Michael Keaton was great as The Vulture. Shocker was useless...both of them. I really like the actor (Michael Mando) they got to play the upcoming Scorpion. Looking forward to see what he does with it. The final act was the most enjoyable part of the film for me and the bonus scene at the very end was funny but still left the theater sadly disappointed and my expectations for the sequel severely diminished.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

HarryTrotter

Well,if that didnt trigger anyone,this place is even deader then I thought.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Nah, the discussion hopped unto another thread and everybody forgot about this one.

BWPS

Quote from: Courtnall6 on July 09, 2017, 04:43:23 PM
Saw Spider-Man: Homecoming on Friday. I haven't been this disappointed with a Marvel film since Iron Man 3 (worst MCU film by far). After Civil War...I think I had my hopes set to high for this one.

Spoiler
Love the look but hated how over teched out his costume was. Felt more like "Iron Man Lite" than Spider-Man...with all the gadgets and the lame voiced AI. I was glad when Tony took away the suit and Peter was forced to wear his ugly homemade version. It felt like I was watching and actual underdog Spider-Man movie again. Also, where the hell was his spider sense? Did the writers research this character at all? "He sticks to things and shoots webs. Done!" lol

The pointless changes to his supporting cast were laughably bad. Flash "Thompson" was the worst. They couldn't make him less physically imposing if they tried. Michelle or "M.J." (sigh) was just annoying. The casting came off more like diversity check list for a Sunny D commercial than anything else.

The comedy was weak and cringey as hell at points. Eye rolling dialogue like the pointless slavery banter at the expense of Michelle's white (therefore lame) professor. Marvel comics are absolutely riddled this "Identity Politics" crap and are suffering badly for it. Keep it out of the movies.

Tom Holland was a good Peter/Spider-Man and Michael Keaton was great as The Vulture. Shocker was useless...both of them. I really like the actor (Michael Mando) they got to play the upcoming Scorpion. Looking forward to see what he does with it. The final act was the most enjoyable part of the film for me and the bonus scene at the very end was funny but still left the theater sadly disappointed and my expectations for the sequel severely diminished.

I know! Why couldn't Peter be going to one of the all white NYC technology magnet high schools?

Yknow if the founding fathers knew they'd end up being represented in our superhero movies,  they probably wouldn't even have invited all those minorities over here.

This is all Sunny D's fault. I'm only drinking purple stuff from now on.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BentonGrey

Yes, clearly C6 hates minorities and that's the only reason he would object to changing a character's race, as that obviously has no impact on who a character is, and clearly neither comics nor movies are visual mediums where characters are defined by appearance as well as by personality.  Don't be ugly, BWPS.  We've had these conversations before, and there's nothing racist about wanting accurate translations of the source material.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

I agree to a point, but being absolutely dismissive about the changes because they don't conform to a certain version of the characters is absurdity. It's one thing to be frustrated at how, say, Flash Thompson is portrayed for example... I see what they were trying to do, but it's clearly at odds with the football jock he's always been in pretty much every version of the comics. It's another to complain about a "diversity checklist" as though having a diverse student body in a school in New York is somehow unrealistic or shocking.

I do understand his point about some of the casting choices, and specifically in the case of Ned Leeds... who is CLEARLY supposed to be Ganke and it's annoying to here him constantly referred to as Ned in the movie when they could have just CALLED HIM GANKE... but I go back to points I've made here and elsewhere: THERE IS A UNIVERSE WHERE PETER IS A PIG, AND MARY JANE IS A BIRD. There is a universe where Peter and all his supporting cast are Indian, one where they're Japanese, and one where Captain America insults France despite fighting alongside them in WW2. And I don't see the people arguing against the changes here complaining about those, because that'd be stupid: Everything I've listed is an alternate reality. The fact that THIS ITERATION features a half-black Liz and an Indian Flash is no different then my favorite cartoon featuring a Latino Liz Allen. What matters is THEIR CHARACTER, which... yeah is a valid place to attack this film from, I'm not even going to argue. Flash is not quite Flash, Liz is not quite Liz, and Ned sure as heck was not written or cast to be Ned.

That having been said...

Spoiler
As far as Michelle goes, this one I'll defend tooth and nail. She's not quite the MJ we know, but A. She has clear chemistry with Tom, both in the movie and in interviews, B. It's subtly implied the entire film that she knows EXACTLY who Peter is, and is somewhat fascinated by it... which is an aspect of MJ's relationship with Peter we've never seen explored outside of comics before, C. I went with 4 other people who are not spider-man nerds, and ALL of them thought the performance and writing for the character was fantastic. She may not be a 1:1 translation, but it's a unique take and I'm honestly interested to see where it goes.

So... yeah, I understand your stance Benton... but the "diversity checklist" remark by C6 definitely rubs me the wrong way too. I've maintained this whole time that they shouldn't NEED to justify why they didn't cast all white actors when half those same characters have an iteration where they're cartoon animals. And to be fair, he's not WRONG about the characters being off... they absolutely are. And not in ways I'm 100% ok with either. But there are ways to express that without opening this can of worms.

HarryTrotter

Well,nice to see everything is back to normal.
To be fair here,its also unrealistic for a guy defrosted from 1945. to be PC by today's standards,so what does that prove.
And for those who havent seen the movie,could you please clarify,was this a Spider-Ham adaptation? :huh:
Jon Farmer

Tomato

My point in bringing it up is merely that saying that "they're white in the comics" is a pretty flimsy justification when I can point to a comic where MJ is a Water Buffalo and Flash is a Goat. The only member of the side cast whose race matters at all in the comic is Flash, and that's really just because his father is a drunken racist jerk and that's typically an area dominated by white people. And before people throw the "sassy redhead" thing at me AGAIN, I would remind you that that trope isn't as recognizable for my generation as, say, sassy black girl. And yeah, that's kinda racist too, but so is the sassy Scottish trope the redhead thing comes from.

(Also, given MJ's shade of red in the comics, it's almost certain she dyes it, since natural redheads are actually more orange. And I have seen African American coworkers and friends dye their hair that color or close to it FAR more often than white ones.)

HarryTrotter

As opposed to say being a work of hundreds of different colorists?Whats next?Yugi also dyes his hair?Seriously,how did you extrapolated that fascinating piece of info?
You didnt really answer my questions.You cant insist on realism and only pick the realistic parts you like.Second,afaik its an adaptation of the main universe Spiderman,key word adaptation.You see whats the peoples problem here?
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Because it fits more with MJ's character that she purposely dyes her hair to a bombastic red to make her the center of attention? Especially given that it's a shade of red (going by her first appearances) not seen in nature?

Going back to your other statement... You're purposely misinterpreting what I said, and it's gotten old. Read my posts again: I'm not saying it's BETTER because it's "more realistic," I'm saying that the focus SHOULD be on changes to the characters personalities and motivations, because those are the things that ACTUALLY MATTER. The fact that they chose to cast someone who isn't white should be inconsequential to the discussion. The spirit of the character is far, FAR more important to me... and this movie does deserve that particular criticism.

Deaths Jester

<throws up the "It's a movie! It's a piece of entertainment, so just enjoy watching it!" sign> You people are sooo serious... :-P
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Tomato on July 15, 2017, 02:01:37 PM
Because it fits more with MJ's character that she purposely dyes her hair to a bombastic red to make her the center of attention? Especially given that it's a shade of red (going by her first appearances) not seen in nature?

Going back to your other statement... You're purposely misinterpreting what I said, and it's gotten old. Read my posts again: I'm not saying it's BETTER because it's "more realistic," I'm saying that the focus SHOULD be on changes to the characters personalities and motivations, because those are the things that ACTUALLY MATTER. The fact that they chose to cast someone who isn't white should be inconsequential to the discussion. The spirit of the character is far, FAR more important to me... and this movie does deserve that particular criticism.
As always,your opinion,not a fact.And again,your not answering the question.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Your question, if I understood it, was "none of it is realistic, so isn't it better to be closer to the source material" and my response... which I've said 2-3 different ways now, is that I don't give a flying monkey about the race or appearance of the characters so long as the spirit of the character is intact. And again, I'm not claiming that they are... I have given multiple examples of how they aren't and why it's to the movie's detriment that the spirit of the characters isn't maintained, despite my enjoyment of the film as a whole.

What I object to, specifically with C6's wording, is the implication that they had some sort of "race checklist" that they HAD to tick off lest the Hollywood gods smite them or whatever. That somehow the creative process for the film was hindered by the choice. However, by all accounts, it was the director who made those decisions, not the studio. Heck, if anything, I suspect the studio would have preferred the opposite: Casting all white actors is safer, and it's what Sony did with the last two adaptations. They chose to go a different direction this time, to do something a bit different... and I feel like the only reason it's a problem is that this is somehow supposed to be the "definitive" cinematic version despite being the third version to come out in the last few decades.

To put my feelings another way... Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane. Now, I have made no secret that I am one of the few people that HATES the Raimi trilogy (in part due to the "best" movie for most fans being the most frustrating for me personally) but Mary Jane in particular goes from the loud, in your face "you just hit the jackpot" lady I fell in love with in the comics, to the typical damsel in distress that screams for the majority of the films. Her relationship with Peter in particular is PAINFUL, with all the worst aspects of soap opera drama thrown in there to pad out their relationship.

Does it really matter that Dunst looks like she walked right out of the comic pages when every single other aspect of her character spits in the face of the comic they're adapting? I'm not saying it is nor should be an either/or situation, I just feel like the appearance stuff is like 5% of the character's total package, whereas personality, chemistry, upbringing... those things make up the other 95% of what defines us as human beings.

HarryTrotter

Well,you are making a 20th or so movie in the franchise and a 6 Spiderman movie.No chance in hell you are going to do something original,so a rogue casting is the only way to surprise the audience.So it might not be a checklist,but its a very cynical,calculated move in any case.Hey,lets urine off the nerds,as long as they are talking about it...
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Alright, I'm ending this now! It's a movie! The studio, producers, and director can do whatever they feel like because that's their job. As long as people go see it and pay money on merch, that's what makes them happy. Do you have to like it? No! Do they care? As long as they are making money, no! Aside from wasteful griping about miniscule and trivial problems about the movie, can you change it? No! Unless you are willing to go out and raise the money, cast, write, direct, and release your view of what the movie should be there is no reason to get into an argument or whatnot about it. Everyone can have their opinion but getting into a fight over something as trivial as a movie is a waste of time and energy. IT'S A MOVIE! HELL, IT'S A SUPERHERO MOVIE. JUST SIT BACK, SUSPEND LOGIC, AND ENJOY THE PARTS YOU FIND ENJOYABLE!

Now, I'm going to go get a case of vodka and when I come back if this is still going on...well, I'll probably just yell some more but still...I rarely step in and do that so yeah!

kkhohoho

Quote from: Deaths Jester on July 15, 2017, 04:32:38 PM
Alright, I'm ending this now! It's a movie! The studio, producers, and director can do whatever they feel like because that's their job. As long as people go see it and pay money on merch, that's what makes them happy. Do you have to like it? No! Do they care? As long as they are making money, no! Aside from wasteful griping about miniscule and trivial problems about the movie, can you change it? No! Unless you are willing to go out and raise the money, cast, write, direct, and release your view of what the movie should be there is no reason to get into an argument or whatnot about it. Everyone can have their opinion but getting into a fight over something as trivial as a movie is a waste of time and energy. IT'S A MOVIE! HELL, IT'S A SUPERHERO MOVIE. JUST SIT BACK, SUSPEND LOGIC, AND ENJOY THE PARTS YOU FIND ENJOYABLE!

Now, I'm going to go get a case of vodka and when I come back if this is still going on...well, I'll probably just yell some more but still...I rarely step in and do that so yeah!

Yeah, no. Just because it's a movie doesn't mean it's automatically free from any and all criticism. If two people have differing opinions on a work, then they have every right to debate those differences as long as it doesn't turn into a flame war or anything. And I honestly don't think we're at that point just yet. Basically, if someone wants to get upset about a movie and make a point, then they should darn well be able to make that point.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Deaths Jester on July 15, 2017, 04:32:38 PM

Oh come on,it FR tradition.We do this every movie.
We werent really arguing,at least how I saw it.I  asked Tomato to clarify some thing,he did for the most part,and that it for now.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

:rolleyes: Spade... Dude, I know you haven't seen the film, but the whole "no new ideas" thing is silly. They mined PLENTY of new material and ideas for this version (not all of which I personally cared for) and WAS a very fresh take on the mythology and that fact had nothing to do with casting. Liz Allen being the love interest, the implication that Michelle finds Peter intriguing for some reason, a villain that's a working class schmuck instead of a mad scientist, Not-Ganke being in a support role... I might not agree with changes like making Flash someone *I* could beat up, but they did play up the innate jealousy that's been a longtime part of Flash's character in the comics and hasn't been explored in film before.

Heck, the fact that we are even talking about the secondary characters at all, when in previous films Flash could have been a cardboard cutout and no one else showed up in high school except MJ/Gwen (and occasionally Harry), shows that this film DID manage to take a much different path than films prior.

As for the whole "it's a controversy" thing... I get where it might seem like it's a problem, but I don't feel like it's as big a deal as it seems to be here. Sure, comic boards like this are an echo chamber, but when I'm discussing the film with friends and people from my generation, it doesn't even come up. Frankly, the same people complaining about it would be complaining about the costumes or how Vulture should be bald or any number of other things even if the races hadn't been changed. If anything, the changes made non-comics fans I know MORE excited, because they got to see themselves in the minorities that got represented in this film.

I dunno. I just feel like it's such a pointless thing to complain about when the change has made so many other people happy.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Tomato on July 15, 2017, 04:47:37 PM
:rolleyes: Spade... Dude, I know you haven't seen the film, but the whole "no new ideas" thing is silly. They mined PLENTY of new material and ideas for this version (not all of which I personally cared for) and WAS a very fresh take on the mythology and that fact had nothing to do with casting. Liz Allen being the love interest, the implication that Michelle finds Peter intriguing for some reason, a villain that's a working class schmuck instead of a mad scientist, Not-Ganke being in a support role... I might not agree with changes like making Flash someone *I* could beat up, but they did play up the innate jealousy that's been a longtime part of Flash's character in the comics and hasn't been explored in film before.

Sure, comic boards like this are an echo chamber.

I dunno. I just feel like it's such a pointless thing to complain about when the change has made so many other people happy.
1. I take your word for it.See the previous few pages for many reasons why I dont feel like watching it.Or in short-superhero fatigue.

2.You noticed it too?

3.For the love of Kanye,not that argument again.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Kkhohoho: People are allowed to complain about it all they want but when it becomes nothing but a back-and-forth complaint routine between two folks with different opinions and both of them appear to be stuck 100% to their opinion only - and it seemed to me where this could've been heading - it becomes a waste of time and effort. Someone has to step aside and walk away at that point because it's a pointless exchange otherwise.

Spade: It used to not be a FR tradition and truthfully even if it had been, not all traditions are good. And while you might not think it an argument, the tone of both your's and Tomato's post read like a growing argument to some of us.

Tomato

TBF, the argument I had was mostly directed at C6's original statement: I understand the opinion he meant, but the diversity checklist remark is offensive, and was bound to start a fight, regardless of his intentions. Spade stoking the fires for a movie he hasn't seen, admits he won't see, and being deliberately obtuse is par for the course. Heck, his "well if that doesn't start things nothing will" comment is him reacting to C6's post and hoping this exact fight would break out. Because otherwise why would he be discussing the film?

catwhowalksbyhimself

I would like to point out to spade, that things were perfectly calm and peaceful, C6 made his comment and everyone left it be, but you were the one who apparently cold not let that go and had to go fishing for an argument.  This kind of discusion would not have launched had you not seen fit to provoke it.  I am tempted now to look at past comment and see if you have been provoking similar argument in the past, but for my own sanity I won't.

HarryTrotter

That was really just an observation,since again,this happens for every movie.
Tomato,as always you internet-cold-reading are very sharp.I don't know how you managed to guess what I was thinking.Really,slow clap from me.by now,you probably also guessed my address and what I had for breakfast;based purely on a few sentences I wrote.
Now,feel free to report me,just like every other time I disagreed with you.
Or better yet,enjoy you echo chamber and keep up the good work.Bye-Bye,since I really have no more energy to read your SJW campaigns.
Jon Farmer