Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

So you soundtrack for a movie about an African king is American rap.Makes sense?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Would you prefer Beethoven?

Does it really matter?

UnkoMan

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 04, 2018, 08:07:18 PM
So you soundtrack for a movie about an African king is American rap.Makes sense?

Yes, because the primary target audience is African Americans whom marketing people would presume would have more than a passing familiarity with such type of music.

PS: I am hoping the Black Panther is as dope as the one trailer I saw made it look. He was awesome in Civil War, I thought.

Silver Shocker

Yeah, hopefully the movie will be good, but I will second that he was awesome in Civil War. That was literally what I was thinking when I came out of the theater after watching CA:CW.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: UnkoMan on January 05, 2018, 01:27:31 AM

Yes, because the primary target audience is African Americans whom marketing people would presume would have more than a passing familiarity with such type of music.

PS: I am hoping the Black Panther is as dope as the one trailer I saw made it look. He was awesome in Civil War, I thought.

Your whole answer boils down to "cuz hes black", you do realize that?
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Wait, he's black?!? I thought he was cordoroy?!? (Couldn't help the joke...sorry...)
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 05, 2018, 05:07:45 AM
Quote from: UnkoMan on January 05, 2018, 01:27:31 AM

Your whole answer boils down to "cuz hes black", you do realize that?

Because in this case it's true?  He's one of the first, if not the first, black superheroes to helm a blockbuster movie.  And it's a character who's genuinely awesome in his own right.  I can't blame people for wanting to hype that up.  I would have preferred them to go with more traditional African music as most of the character are not African Americans, but  those in charge have chosen to theme the music in that way.  There may be more to the reason than that.  Perhaps it's just he director's favorite music. It doesn't really fit the setting or characters of the movie all that well, but I suspect the movie will be cool as it is, and it's hardly the end of the world if their musical genre choice comes across as a bit strange.  I've loved the character since Earth's Mightiest Heroes and really look forward to seeing him in his own movie.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

UnkoMan

That is how marketing people think.
But also, everybody I know who is black seemed really pumped about the fact that there is a mainstream superhero movie with a primarily black cast, black director, and this soundtrack. Did you know score's composer "traveled to Senegal and South Africa to record local musicians to form the "base" of his soundtrack"? Also, the director chose Kendrick Lamar personally, because he feels that his "artistic themes align with those we explore in the film."
So yeah, the hip hop is there because he's black, and that's awesome. Kendrick Lamar? SZA? I don't know who else is on the soundtrack, but so far sounds pretty hype to me.

Anyhow, Black Panther rules!

Shogunn2517

Anyone remember any complaining when they chose Led Zeppelin to be on the soundtrack for a movie about Norse Gods?

<_<

Silver Shocker

I was wondering if the actual film was likely to feature the rap/hip hop sounding music, or just the trailers, so that's neat.

In the case of him being black, well, he's the King of an African nation, so it's kinda hard to do Black Panther without leaning into that angle. It's just hard coded into the character. As I've noticed in some series (such as Avengers stories such as Busiek's run) if you downplay all the African-centric stuff (as will likely happen in an ensemble cast team book setting) he basically gets whittled down to a Batman clone (as does Moon Knight if you leave out the stuff that makes Moon Knight unique). Physical brawler, athletic, gadgets, money, trust issues with other super heroes, lot of skulking about.

QuoteAnyone remember any complaining when they chose Led Zeppelin to be on the soundtrack for a movie about Norse Gods?

I'm assuming you're talking about Thor III which, as Benton pointed out, is NOT the best go-to example of properly representing its source material of origin.

Also, I hate to be that guy, but so now we're not allowed to complain about or criticize things in the trailer? I recall seeing an entire thread awhile ago about someone's feelings on the Avengers Infinity War Trailer.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I wasnt questioning the movie or its protagonist,I was saying I find the choice of soundtrack odd.Lets leave it at that before this goes the way any movie discussion goes here.
Also,I think Falcon was the first black superhero.1969,IIRC.DC had Tyroc in 1976,I think,and not as many assume,John Stewart(1979). #themoreyouknow
Jon Farmer

UnkoMan

Oops. I didn't mean to make it into an argument or anything.
I was just saying there's a very good and obvious reason for an American made movie about an African king to feature a soundtrack by contemporary American artists of primarily African decent.
I could see more complaint when, say, The Great Gatsby featured a hip hop soundtrack... though, I actually heard a lot of praise when that happened.
Anyway, we're all pals here. No problems.

Also, Black Panther was created in 1966, if we are wondering. July/August, FF#53/53.
Mandrake's sidekick Lothar kind of counts as a superhero, and he first appeared in 1934. 1947 saw Lion Man who came from a comic which actually featured an all black creative staff. Pretty progressive stuff! Just one issue though. (I just learned about that one from Google!)

HarryTrotter

Okay,Captain Marvel costume...not a fan.Green and leather dont really mix.
Jon Farmer

Ouflah

For the most part I like what they're going for. I'm a fan of the original green Captain Marvel suit-- it looks really different and alien. That said, if I were a reporter in the MCU, I'd strongly believe that the same person made the suits for both Ant-Man and Captain Marvel.
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

crimsonquill

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 26, 2018, 10:46:40 PM
Okay,Captain Marvel costume...not a fan.Green and leather dont really mix.

Funny that I've not seen many folks complain about Oliver's leather green costume on Arrow. Course we usually don't see too many costume shots of him taken by unofficial photographers and without the digital enhancements done in the final edit. Course, That's just me. It's meant to look alien and green has always been the uniform color of the Kree military.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

You do realise he is GREEN Arrow?But thats not really related to anything here.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Which is like saying Iron Man and Superman wear red.
Anyway,why is it whenever I make an observation Im greated with animosity worthy of a comic journalist?
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I'm not crazy about this either.  It looks okay, and if they're going for something approximating the original Captain's kree uniform, that could be sort of cool.  Nonetheless, replacing the white with more gray in that costume makes it look much less interesting.  In the end, I just find myself hoping that this is not her main costume.  Captain Marvel, original and Carol version, has one of the near-perfect costumes.  The relatively modern Carol Captain has a fantastic look, and it would be a huge waste not to use it.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaltrends-uploads-prod/2015/03/captain-marvel.jpg

I'm also not crazy about the casting.  She's a decent actress from what little I've seen of her (Kong), but she isn't quite the type I would have chosen.  She doesn't really seem to have the right kind of presence.  I am, however, willing to be convinced, of course.

Also, on the topic of green leather, it is fair to say that the context for a street vigilante and an interstellar hero is rather different and expectations of costume design can be different as well.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Actually,it was YOU who brought up Green Arrow,I didnt comment on his costume in this thread.So I dont really see why your acting like I kicked your dog.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Well,after having my own opinion mansplained back to me,I have to admit defeat.
Its an awesome costume,you win.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Let's play nicely, folks. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

daglob

I saw a color corrected pic someplace, but I was wondering... if the green might be something they could use with the Chroma Key (or whatever) process, and computer-correct the thing after filming.

BentonGrey

That seems a lot of trouble to go to...
God Bless

UnkoMan

If you are wondering if they'd remove the green to give it a "space" pattern, doubtful. Chroma green is much brighter, and generally when they want to recreate a part of a character they will use motion tracking jimmies, then make a 3d model, then overlay that.
It's probably just green, guys.

Colour Corrected:
https://movieweb.com/captain-marvel-movie-costume-classic-colors-fan-art/

BentonGrey

That looks so much better, it's hard to believe.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

I agree.  The red and blue version does look nice.  A lot of people think she'll switch colors during the movie anyway.  We shall see.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

daglob

Well, Mar-Vell (Ever wonder if that is a Kryptonian name?) started off in a white and green costume, so maybe they are using that as a precedent.

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 28, 2018, 04:26:16 AM
I agree.  The red and blue version does look nice.  A lot of people think she'll switch colors during the movie anyway.  We shall see.

That's what I've been hoping for, and that's more or less what my first thought was when I saw it, given it's similarity to the original Cap's original costume.
God Bless

Ouflah

That's very likely. It's not unusual for Marvel to include the original suit design in the origin story before switching to the more mainstream costume (Iron Man, Captain America, Dr. Strange).
"Superhero deaths are basically an unproven hypothesis at this point."
-Mike Exner III

JeyNyce

Why couldn't they give her her old costume from 1977???  I say this sarcastically  :D
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!