Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Spoiler
That's entirely reasonable, 'Mato, but I hope you're wrong.  I don't know how they would do it, but I hope they'll give us an ending for these characters that is just a ride into the sunset rather than killing them off.  Cap is the trickiest.  Given his personality, I don't see how future events could keep him on the bench.  Still, that's my (probably vain) hope.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Silver Shocker

Returning to something from earlier:

Shogunn:

Spoiler
QuoteYes, were not the only ones who feel the way we do.

I'm actually very surprised by the lack of comments online I've seen that are cheesed off by the ending (which may say more about the limited pool of sites I check to see what people think). Might might be partly due to the flick only being out for a few days, might be also be because, as I later learned, extensive pre-release spoilers leaked for the film a little bit in advance. *shugs* Who knows?

I'm waiting on my RL buds, who are consistently more busy than I am, to manage to see the flick so I can hear what they say, but I'm genuinely curious what they'll think considering they're not into the source material and aren't going to be like "well, SURE in the COMICS..." I had a games night with my nephew on Sunday, and he's very "No Spoilers please" so all I said was the ending made me want to see the next one right away and he said to that "That means it's good". I'm curious if he'll feel the same way once he's seen the flick. I'm also looking forward to popping into the local comic book store this week for my books because I may very well get to discuss it water cooler style with the regulars.

I knew there'd be people who'd stand by the ending, and that's fine, but it's also the reason I ended my initial post with #ItsOKToHateTheEnding

QuoteI was trying to explain to a friend, it's like watching the Avengers and getting to the part where Loki kills Coulson and chucks Thor from the Helicarrrier and the credits roll after that.  Of course I'm going to be like "What the fuzz? Where's the rest of the movie?"  Don't get me wrong, I liked a lot of what I saw but if you're going to produce a movie some of us would appreciate a resolution. Like a beginning, middle and end. An end with a protagonist finding closure and I didn't get that.

Again, I get cliffhangers.  A cliffhanger like revealing Thanos sent the Chitauri or the Winter Soldier is still alive.  But even in those cases the Avengers stopped Loki and Captain America stopped Hydra's plot.  There was closure. Even when you take it to other properties like with Star Wars, where many are comparing this to Empire Strikes Back. Yes, our heroes took Ls across the board but they got away.  The whole movie was the Empire chasing them down and they got away.  And even that can't be viewed in a vacuum.  It's the 2nd part of a 3 part series, IE the 2nd act.  This wasn't that. They specifically said this isn't Infinity War "Part 1", it's it's own separate story and there's no way I can judge this by itself. I feel there's more to the story.  Actually I don't feel.  Chadwick Bozeman, Chris Pratt and Tom Holland have sequels to make so I know they're not dead and thus I know the story's incomplete.  Like what's the point of doing a pump fake when the defense know you're not going to throw it.

I know right? If you were to compare it to Empire, a closer comparison would be if Empire ended like this:

-Vader says "I am your father", Luke falls down the shaft and then it fades to credits and replaces the usual Star Wars end credits music with the slow, foreboding version of the Imperial March (the one that actually plays during the "I Am Your Father" scene)
-Lando doesn't spring Leia and the others. They just hint that he might in the next movie.

It's been a few days, and I still can't stop thinking about that gosh-darn ending. I guess they must have something right, but hrmm.. I've been talking about it for days, reading/skimming a bunch of articles about it, and I'm still not entirely convinced I didn't imagine it in a cough-syrup-fueled fever dream.

In general:

Spoiler
I just remembered I'd been meaning to say: For the record: I 100% expected the snap to make it into the movie. There's no point in making Grimace the villain of an Avengers movie and building up the Infinity Gems and Gauntlet if you're not going to have him do the thing he's remembered for doing. It'd be like making a Batman movie where Bane's the main villain and forgetting to have him break Batman's back, or making Doomsday the villain of a Superman movie and not having Superman die fighting him. But I never in my wildest imagination guessed they would end the movie right there on the spot.

Adrian Pasdar (Glenn Talbot on Shield) has said in an interview that Shield will be tying into IW in the final episodes of the season. That could be interesting. I actually was't expecting that since Shield's well into their ongoing story and there's only a few episodes left.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

crimsonquill

Another thing branching off about the theory of the Avengers team collected in Avengers 4...

Spoiler
They have confirmed that a new older actress is going to play Cassie Lang in A4 and she had stated in an interview she was fitted for a costume. So we definitely are going to get Stature from Young Avengers somewhere in the film. With Tony Stark's dream comment about having a child PLUS Vision and Scarlet Witch spending time together while he trying to become more human (maybe getting Wanda pregnant).. and development for Patriot was done for Black Panther but dropped because there wasn't enough time to flesh him out... I'm completely expecting that Young Avengers will make an appearance during Time Traveling.

Plus a group of YouTubers I follow decided to do a deep dive in speculation also had these theories..

Spoiler
With Feige and the Russo Brothers confirming that deaths will mean something and have lasting consequences within current and future movies (i.e. No More Fake Deaths), How would they handle the dustings of those effected by Thanos' finger snap in A4? Some folks kicked around the idea that alternate reality hopping would be used by pulling folks out of time lines where they survived Thanos' attack. One idea that stuck with me was Tony and Steve having a grand plan by changing just enough events (including the addition of Carol Danvers to the team) that Nebula is there for the final battle and when they get the glove off Thanos, she puts it on instead and snaps her fingers which has entirely different effects including reversing the deaths of the first movie (i.e. those who dusted now live but those who survived end up dying instead with a few exceptions). This keeps the stakes of the glove intact and not just undone by having someone like Wong using the time gem to just rewind everything and then Scarlet Witch destroys the glove.

So much speculating will be done over the next year and each film to come next.. Antman 2 and Captain Marvel will add more teases to fuel the fire.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Silver Shocker

Quill nice finds!

Spoiler
Yep, I mentioned Cassie earlier in the thread. Didn't know she was fitted for the costume. This has me filled to the brim with a girlish glee! The only question is will it be Stature or Stinger? (Neither. It's her original unused name, Titan.  :P) I did hear about Patriot, I just figured they didn't use him because the original Patriot, Jeffrey Mace, made it into Shield. But yeah, Young Avengers. It will happen. And I couldn't be happier about that, especially since it increases the chances of a comic revival by about 100%.

On your other comment. Those guys could be totally right about Nebula. She did get some attention in Infinity War and she was a villain in the IG comic so that makes a lot of sense. I those guys could be on to something.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Silver Shocker on May 02, 2018, 12:52:36 PM

In general:

Spoiler
I just remembered I'd been meaning to say: For the record: I 100% expected the snap to make it into the movie. There's no point in making Grimace the villain of an Avengers movie and building up the Infinity Gems and Gauntlet if you're not going to have him do the thing he's remembered for doing. It'd be like making a Batman movie where Bane's the main villain and forgetting to have him break Batman's back, or making Doomsday the villain of a Superman movie and not having Superman die fighting him. But I never in my wildest imagination guessed they would end the movie right there on the spot.

Adrian Pasdar (Glenn Talbot on Shield) has said in an interview that Shield will be tying into IW in the final episodes of the season. That could be interesting. I actually was't expecting that since Shield's well into their ongoing story and there's only a few episodes left.

Not sure if anyone's watching but I think all I've seen so far was to the effect "Hey you heard about what's going on in New York?  Pretty wild, right?"

And the reason that's not in spoiler tags because I think Agents of SHIELD was avoiding spoilers with such a vague reference too.  Like what's going on in New York?  They found Luke Cage?  Jessica Jones outed herself with powers?  Think it was purposely vague.  But I gotta imagine there's more to MAOS because they've always tied in the movies SOMEHOW like revealing it was Coulson who got Fury the Helicarriers in Age of Ultron or Asgardians showing up after Thor and of course the big Hydra reveal from Winter Soldier.  No way that can just let this go.

Silver Shocker

Oh sure. "Heard what's going on in New York? Pretty Wild, right" could refer to "A big honking spaceship showed up" which you can clearly see in the trailers.

Yeah, those Shield tie-ins were great. I was a little let down by the Civil War One, and the Doctor Strange one was pretty underwhelming as a tie-in IMO.
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

What was the Dr. Strange one?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 03, 2018, 05:29:07 PM
What was the Dr. Strange one?

None.  Dr. Strange happened behind the scenes, so nobody much even knew it was happening.  There was a vague thematic tie in with Ghost Rider and a magic book, but that was about it.

My guess is that Thanos will be involved with the alien alliance, possibly just chasing it away, but possible it's part of his forces all along and he invades when their quieter takeover fails.  I predict the season will end where Infinity War begins.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Silver Shocker

That shadow dimension they went to was apparently considered a Dr. Strange tie-in, which I thought was a stretch.
~Rocky Balboa

crimsonquill

AOS's Doctor Strange connection was mostly just the Darkholme being the missing book from Wong's library (it's very clearly framed in a shot that a book was missing and the chains were broken) and Ghost Rider having learned to use his chain like a slingring to create portals. Robbie also mentions that he got involved with huge conflict where he spent years outside of time (the mirror dimension?) learning how to control the supernatural powers that Rider gives him without letting the demon control him fully. Could this be a seed of his own spin-off show? Or a cameo in the next Doctor Strange (who better then to teach Robbie and maybe we get an appearance of Johnny Blaze and/or Blade as other soldiers).

The shadow dimension is connected to the Darkholme because it deals with Death Magic and how to weave spells between life and death (which I assume that AIDA used to build her body and other more advanced LMDs). It's a book that would be very very dangerous if it got into the hands of Mordo.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

Random thought,could we ever see Starfox in the MCU?
Probably not,since Dan Slott made him unusable.Not that it matters actually,since most of the audience never ever heard of him.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

To be fair, there's a lot of characters that most of the audience never heard of. That's a big part of the reason why Guardians was considered such an oddball wild card choice prior to release. They were a very niche property and now they're beloved movie characters that people expect to see appear in subsequent installments. I wouldn't be surprised if someone out there said about Infinity War "I'll watch it for the Guardians".

Now Starfox would have to be reworked from the ground up, but so were Yondu and Mantis (and Ego, kinda) , so it's really not outside the realm of possibility.
~Rocky Balboa

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on May 04, 2018, 12:23:19 PM
Random thought,could we ever see Starfox in the MCU?
Probably not,since Dan Slott made him unusable.Not that it matters actually,since most of the audience never ever heard of him.

What the heck did Slott do to Starfox?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

In Slotts She-Hulk,several women sue Starfox because he,possibly,used his euphoria powers to date defile them.
Its never proven,but it kinda leaves a big Henry-Pym-sized mark on the character.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

I don't think Starfox would have been likely regardless, if for no other reason then he's a white dude whose brother is a giant purple alien. Yes, I know Thanos is supposed to be a freak of nature and it's part of his backstory, but it's something they'd have to waste time explaining and the film barely had time for the content it had.

I'd have been cool with Eros being a purple alien with stupid hair showing up for a flashback to Thanos' past though. Nod and wink and all that.

HarryTrotter

Yes,thats the part that really strains the suspension of disbelief.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

As much as I appreciate the sarcasm, I'm being serious. It's the same reason Drax went from "Zombie human brought back to kill Thanos by Thanos' cosmic entity grandpa" to "alien with a funny speech quirk." There's aliens all over the place in the GotG, the fact that there's a big Hulk looking purple dude doesn't even have to be mentioned, they can just show him in space and people unfamiliar with the comics will take him as just another type of alien.

Showing his white, human looking brother would raise questions, which the filmmakers can either not answer (in which case why include Eros and Thanos' race at all, since all they'll do is confuse audience members), give the explanation from the comics (which takes time away from the rest of the film as I said) or make him and the rest of Thanos' race "normal looking" purple dudes in contrast to Thanos' hulking appearance. The last option leaves no questions for audience members other then "who is that dude with the red hair?", leaves things open for Thanos to still be a freak due to his size, and even allows for a white Eros in later films, if the filmmakers choose, by having his appearance be somewhat tied to his powerset.

HarryTrotter

Wait,aliens are belivable,but a white guy isnt?This a new level,even for you. :D
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Consistency with the world established is what matters, and what differs from that gives an audience pause.
God Bless

daglob

Seems like I remember a point where Starfox and Mentor were purple.

BWPS

QuoteConsistency with the world established is what matters, and what differs from that gives an audience pause.

While I agree with that 100%, I think it's a matter of finding a way to make whatever you want to put in work for your world. MCU has added aliens and magic and completely different tones i'n their movies and it has always worked, even if a couple of the movies were below par. No offense to anyone here, but I remember a time when we were talking about Galactus and people said an audience couldn't suspend disbelief for a giant planet eating humanoid. But the MCU (who of course was not responsible for any of the horrible F4 movies) has taken us so far in so many wild directions and I've never once not been along for the ride. Good storytelling and filmmaking can and should break any "rule".

Infinity War was amazing, I won't say it's the best one, but it's definitely the biggest and most ambitious movie I've ever seen and while it was a rollercoaster of emotions, I never felt detached.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Silver Shocker

So I watched Black Panther this week. Ever since it came out in theaters, I had a niggling worry it wouldn't live up to the massive amount of hype. Well, I don't know if it lived up to all of the hype, but it was really good. I didn't really dislike any of it and I was entertained and locked into the story for the full length of it.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

New Venom trailer

I still don't know if this movie has any reason to exist, but Venom himself does look pretty dang cool.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

It'd be nice if there was a bit more white in there, but given the lack of Spider-man it does make sense that he wouldn't have the insignia.

So the villain of the movie is, apparently, Riot. Which, on the one hand, I'm glad for, because it makes sense given what we know of the antagonist that they used one of the symbiotes from the Life Foundation in the comics for what appears to be the equivalent of it in the films... though I kinda wish they'd gone with something like Lasher or, better yet, Hybrid. Nothing against Riot, it's just that a symbiote fight between symbiotes that are Black and Dark Gray creates... problems from a visual perspective. Plus... I know I'm the same guy going "UGH they better not do Carnage" but Riot as the main antagonist feels... underwhelming. Hybrid would have fit within the narrative and having the "final boss" as it were have the power of four symbiotes combined would work better, IMHO.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The second trailer does at least look better than the first one.  I am glad they are emphasizing that he's an anti-hero and not trying to make him out as a typical hero protagonist.  We'll see I guess.

Is this film part of the MCU at all or is it something entirely separate?  It just feels like it exists in this weird limbo.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Tomato

It is Canon to the homecoming series, but not really to the mcu. It's... Odd.

Silver Shocker

Captain Marvel Trailer:

I liked that we get a lot of footage of her flying around in the costume. I like how convincing the digitally de-aged Nick Fury. And of course, I like the cat. Other than that, we don't get much of a idea what the plot will be.

But none of that matters because CAAAAAAAT!!!!  ^_^

~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Since the cat took out his eye he nevet trusted anyone again.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

That's pretty funny. And almost certainly true.

We don't know how Fury lost his eye, do we? Maybe it happens in this film.
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Civil War tells us it was during the hostage crisis where he rescued Robert Redford's character at an embassy.
God Bless