Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

Way, way back when I think it was a WW II wound (Sgt. Fury #27) that later gave him trouble. Thus, in FF #21 he has no eyepatch, but when SHIELD got its' own series he was given an eyepatch.

BentonGrey

Well, the first trailer for the last Avengers movie has dropped....it looks like it's going to be called Avengers: End Game.  It's interesting, but there's not too much to work with yet.  Needless to say, I'm excited, but this feels super early.  I guess this semester has just flown by for me.  :)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/7/18130395/avengers-endgame-4-trailer-release-date-april-2019-infinity-war
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

It was probably something to do with Skrulls.
Which probably inspired to start the whole Avengers thing.
Im kinda dissapointed we will never see a Publisher/Fury team up.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Tomato

"last" avengers movie. Yeah, sure.

Honestly I'm surprised it took so long. Avengers 4 comes out only a month or so after Captain Marvel, which has had 2 trailers and most of the toy line revealed. This is the first time we've even had confirmation of the name, even if several people guessed months ago.

HarryTrotter

Got around to Infinity Wars.A big round of IP bingo ending in a cgi clusterfunt of faceless armies.Its a lot like Ready Player One.Or any movie made in the last 10 years.
I didnt hate it,mind you.But I dont have any strong emotions towards it either way.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Wow, HT, I think you must be dead inside.  Ha, IW was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in a theater.

'Mato, you're probably right.  Like I said, the semester has just flown by for me.  Seems early. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

I probably am. 😉
But in general Im tired of the final battle between two cgi mook armies.EVERY movie does that.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So I had been re-reading chunks of this thread re: Infinity War, and I realized there were a few things I meant to comment on that I apparently declined to, or just didn't have time to and/or forgot about.

First order of business, I found the Avengers 4 trailer profoundly disappointing. It's short, it tells us very little (and yes, I'm sure for many people that's precisely why it's a perfect teaser trailer) but after a half a gosh darn year and the most frustrating cliffhanger in the history of cinema, it left me severely wanting. And other than maybe the last scene of the trailer because spoilers, there's absolutely no reason this shouldn't have been the post credit scene for Infinity War.

Spoiler
The scarecrow was cute. The "show don't tell" with Hawkeye is expertly done. The Scott Lang tag at the end was funny, and intriguing, but other than that? It tells us very little new information about what the next movie's actually going to be about, and most damning of all, it doesn't even acknowledge the time travel we already know happens from leaked photos and other leaks. It might be mildly hinted at, with the little Peggy Carter locket, but the only reason I know that is because that was the plot of an episode of Avengers Assemble.

And yeah, those are unofficial, but I've heard critics virulently argue that part of the MCU's success is taking advantage of a modern internet age where you can watch the trailer, read up on the movie and the source material on Wikipedia, read the original comics, and watch the actual movies on your phone. So by that logic, still pretending we don't already know about the time travel and giving us nothing in the meantime is honestly, kind of insulting. It feels like this trailer was cut by the same Disney people who legitimately think everybody's going to pay for their streaming service to watch a PG Daredevil, a Scarlet Witch spinoff and a Rogue One Cassian Andor spinoff, and isn't just going to pirate the ever loving crap out of the Clone Wars revival and the Mandalorian (and yes, I will subscribe to the service if they make it available outside the U.S. day one)

You know what the video game industry often does when a game we're not supposed to know about leaks? They just release the trailer early so we can then see it the way they want us to see it, since the cat's already out of the bag. For example, last year we knew a trailer was going to hit for Red Red Redemption 2 E3 2017, but they cancelled it because of gun violence, but they knew we knew so they admitted it.

The Ant-Man sequence is cute, but it also has me seriously confused and not necessarily in a good way. So I get the idea: they just assumed Scott died and all of a sudden he pulls up in his van like it's business as usual and all of a sudden it's "Holy crap, there's one more person alive out there than we thought there was, and he's a superhero too and he just pulled up at our doorstep. Now we stand a chance!"

But 1. If Scott's been in the Quantum Realm and just got out, how did he do it? I always assumed The Avengers would end up finding him. After all, the idea behind the post credit scene in Ant-Man & Wasp was that Scott was trapped in there because Hank and others got dusted and therefore couldn't let him out.

2. If Scott's been gone for who knows how long, how come he's still got the exact same 5'o Clock shadow he has in 100% of the previous movies? What, did he never grow facial hair in the Quantum Realm, was it 5 minutes for him and 5 years for everyone else? Did he do a quick shave before he got here?

Oh speaking of which, LOL Cap's beard got dusted from the snap. That reminds me, why the crap is Black Widow still dying her hair after all this time? I assumed the reason why she did that was because she was on the run, did she just decide she liked the platinum blonde look and decided to keep it? Because that seems incredibly unlikely considering her, Steve and the rest basically lived through the end of the world. Daryl from the Walking Dead can't be bothered to cut his damn hair but Black Widow's still dying hers after all this time? That's just weird.

Lastly, Scott seems pretty chill considering he seemingly was trapped in the Quantum Realm for who knows how long and, presumably just stepped out onto (I assume) the MCU version of the Walking Dead, (minus the zombies, one assumes).

Like The Riddler, it just raises too many questions.

Anyway, the other thing I wanted to talk about was Eros. I don't remember why I never bothered to comment on it beyond my initial comment, but I had two things to add.

Quote from: daglob on May 05, 2018, 10:38:51 PM
Seems like I remember a point where Starfox and Mentor were purple.

They originally were, later stories and some reprints of the original story changed their skin color. The $1 reprint that came out around the time of Avengers: Infinity War, that I read back then, for example, kept the original coloring for posterity's sake. I could have sworn I responded to this back in the day. Maybe the board ate it while I was originally writing it.

QuoteAs much as I appreciate the sarcasm, I'm being serious. It's the same reason Drax went from "Zombie human brought back to kill Thanos by Thanos' cosmic entity grandpa" to "alien with a funny speech quirk." There's aliens all over the place in the GotG, the fact that there's a big Hulk looking purple dude doesn't even have to be mentioned, they can just show him in space and people unfamiliar with the comics will take him as just another type of alien.

Showing his white, human looking brother would raise questions, which the filmmakers can either not answer (in which case why include Eros and Thanos' race at all, since all they'll do is confuse audience members), give the explanation from the comics (which takes time away from the rest of the film as I said) or make him and the rest of Thanos' race "normal looking" purple dudes in contrast to Thanos' hulking appearance. The last option leaves no questions for audience members other then "who is that dude with the red hair?", leaves things open for Thanos to still be a freak due to his size, and even allows for a white Eros in later films, if the filmmakers choose, by having his appearance be somewhat tied to his powerset.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sold on that assessment myself. Yes, people might wonder about it, but if  Gamora and Nebula, and every member of the Black Order can be referred to as Thanos' children while clearly not being his biological children, then I don't see where Eros couldn't just be his non-biological brother. Heck, if they wanted to they could even introduce Eros without actually having him be related to Thanos at all. I once argued that Lian Harper in the New 52 could have been introduced as unrelated biologically to Roy Harper. Same idea. Ego wasn't Star-Lord's father in the comics and Mantis wasn't his sister. Speaking of which, fun fact, in the mural of Ego's lovers, supposedly you can see a Mantis-like alien who may or may not be Mantis' mom, which would of course make Mantis literally Star Lord's sister. James Gunn said not to necessarily read too much into it.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Just watched Venom tonight. Not great, but not too bad really. There's not much to it. Throwaway badguy, meh plot, but Venom himself? Awesome. Looks great, looks even better in action, pretty effectively spooky voice, and has more of a sense of humor than I was expecting, Venom himself was kinda a snarky d*ck. Kinda reminded me of Venom from the 90's cartoon in that regard. Perfectly serviceable rental movie. Worth watching just for Venom himself if you're a fan of the character. It made money and they're talking sequel so hopefully they cobble together a more interesting story to stick Venom in.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Absolutely. It would be a great movie to just have on the tv in the background when it eventually comes to basic cable tv, while you're doing something else. Since I rented it to watch on the tv, that's pretty much what it is. Any time Venom itself isn't on screen, you can pretty much zone out and miss nothing of consequence.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Wanted to respond to some minor things from SS' post.

Spoiler
Probably shouldn't even bother spoilering this but since it's a response to your spoiler tag I'll leave it... unlike Cap's beard, which can be taken care of in five minutes with a razor, it's a bit tougher to undye hair. You either have to redye it back to your natural hair color, shave your head and grow it back (wearing a wig while doing so), or maintain the existing dye. Given that BW's probably been busy doing Avengers stuff, I feel like she might just be maintaining it since she probably already has the supplies to do so from her time in hiding. I prefer red-headed BW too, but in-story it's not a huge deal.

As for Eros... again, my biggest argument wasn't even necessarily his skin color, since you can just make him purple... while I leaned on the skintone thing as a barrier, my main point is WHY SHOW HIM AT ALL. The scene in question is THANOS using the Gauntlet to show his homeworld in it's former beauty. By all accounts, Thanos and Eros HATE each other. I cannot for the life of me see Thanos taking the time to include Eros in his recreation of his world's "paradise" when in the comics one of his first acts was to take off Eros' mouth. He would not be shown in Thanos' idea of paradise.

But let's set that aside, say for whatever reason Thanos included Eros. Be he purple or flesh tone, Eros is in the film. He exists. And... then what? Ok, some people will take it as just a cameo and a nod and wink to fans, but now you have those who don't speculating about this character. Who is he, why is he in this scene, does he factor into the film's resolution in some way. Including Eros in a scene where he has no logical reason for being there is a textbook Chekhov's gun (IE: something that grabs audience attention because the language of film has indicated it's important), and for them to include him and then not bring him back in later would be problematic, all for the sake of a character who has nothing to do with the story (and would in fact derail the whole "lose what I love most" theme we see with Gamora because why doesn't thanos love his brother etc.) and who is super problematic anyway given certain comic depictions of the character.

It's one thing to include cameos like Howard or like Stan Lee, but the way those scenes are presented is not the same as what you're describing with Eros: shoehorning a red-headed dude in the background of a scene he should not be in so that the general audience mistakes it for something potentially important. There is enough in IW without Eros, he isn't needed, and at best he'd warrant a "oh, that's neat" if he *was* included somehow. If we had an actual flashback, seeing Thanos' former home life or his confrontation with his world's leadership, something that has narrative purpose... I can see Eros showing up in the background of a scene like that. But IN INFINITY WAR Ero's inclusion would have been a distraction that served no other purpose than fanwankary, and I think they made the right call leaving him out.

Silver Shocker

Oh, here's my late response to your late response:

I was being more hypothetical. When I talk about including Eros, I meant more in the nebulous sense of if the movie turned out a different way, or if Eros appeared in a later film. Not necessarily being included in the film we got.

Also, I once had a debate with a peer about whether non-comic fans would "accept" Vision. People seem chill with him In fact when Ultron came out it was literally the first thing I asked a buddy of mine:  "what did you think of Vision?" Turned out he was fine with it mostly because he likes Paul Bettany. I was happy with that answer. But of course YMMV.

Anyway, by stroke of luck and snap of finger, I ended up researching stuff about Avengers Endgame, and it has been confirmed - fake scenes are being filmed to keep people from figuring out the plot ahead of time. Oh ho ho - we're in the End Game now!

But, on a more concrete note, wait til you hear this crazyness.

Spoiler
At one point, they were apparently considering pulling a Negan from Walking Dead. Yes, indeed, they were seriously considering ending on the snap itself and making us wait till part 2 to find out who did and didn't turn to dust. If that happened, I think the population of earth would have dropped in half in real life. Or I would have had a heart attack. Man I'm glad they didn't do that.

In any case, 3 more months till it comes out people!!!
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Speaking of missing brothers,we never see Balder either.
And that one is a bit harder to handwave with skintone. 😉
Jon Farmer

UnkoMan

Quote from: Silver Shocker on January 29, 2019, 07:23:48 PM
Also, I once had a debate with a peer about whether non-comic fans would "accept" Vision. People seem chill with him In fact when Ultron came out it was literally the first thing I asked a buddy of mine:  "what did you think of Vision?" Turned out he was fine with it mostly because he likes Paul Bettany. I was happy with that answer. But of course YMMV.

Wait, why wouldn't people like Vision? Vision rules.
(spoken as a big Vision fan)
Vision in the movie is... eh, good enough, because it's Vision. They obviously weren't going to use his comic origin.
Will be watching the Vision/Scarlet Witch series though.

I digress. I legit don't know what's not to accept about a robot ghost in the world of crazy junk that is Avengers?

EDIT: By the way, I heard about this Loki series an this Vision/Scarlet Witch series and I'm like what? But purposefully I try to not read too much of the info before the movies come out. The plots to these movies are pretty thin and predictable, so at least not knowing every character first is nice. Like when
Spoiler
Goliath is in Ant Man & Wasp.
Does that even need to be a spoiler? Was it even a secret? But when I saw it I was like, "Oh, awesome."

HarryTrotter

Once upon a Deadpool.Added scenes are funny,but most of it we saw in the trailers.Actually the extended Nickleback joke from the trailer wasnt in the film.
-Wait,was that...Brad Pitt?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: UnkoMan on January 31, 2019, 06:36:21 AM
Quote from: Silver Shocker on January 29, 2019, 07:23:48 PM

Wait, why wouldn't people like Vision? Vision rules.

I digress. I legit don't know what's not to accept about a robot ghost in the world of crazy junk that is Avengers?

Yeah, the argument was that Vision was apparently too "out there". My response was "Iron Man has a robot suit, Vision is a robot man." It's not like the casual movie going audience isn't keen to the idea of robots in movies. They've had decades to get used to them.

Oh, speaking of weird stuff from the comics: The Kree Supreme Intelligence. I just saw the other day what they did for it in  the Captain Marvel movie. Wow, that might be the single biggest instance of the live action adaptations simplifying something comic book-esque from the source material. Though I did hear in an interview that they might do something a little more out there by the end of the movie that they didn't want to spoil.

QuoteGoliath is in Ant Man & Wasp.
Does that even need to be a spoiler? Was it even a secret? But when I saw it I was like, "Oh, awesome."

Bill Foster? Nah, his casting was announced a good year or so before the film came out, and he was introduced in one of the trailers. To the comic fans it's neat, but to the movie goers he's just some guy Hank used to work with, played by Laurence Fishbourne. It's kinda like asking "Hey is that Luis guy in the comics?" (he made a background cameo in the most recent Ant-Man comic when it showed Scott in prison) Not exactly Howard the Duck.

QuoteOnce upon a Deadpool.Added scenes are funny,but most of it we saw in the trailers.Actually the extended Nickleback joke from the trailer wasnt in the film.
-Wait,was that...Brad Pitt?

Yep, I'm a little disappointed the Nickelback bit got trimmed down in the final film. It was funny.
I put it on the other day for a friend of mine and just fast forwarded to the Fred Savage scenes and they had him absolutely laughing out loud because of his familiarity with the Princess Bride, but honestly? There's some funny stuff in there. Poking fun at the plot and people's criticisms of it, joking about Cable's ridiculously elaborate comic book backstory. The whole bit about Brad Pitt and Matt Damon was way funnier than it had any right to be. Honestly, I know I'm not alone in wishing there was a lot more of the new material. I'd say I'd probably have gone for a whole movie of just that, but that might be pushing it.

I'd heard it might have been partially intended as a proof of concept in case Disney wanted to do a PG-13 Deadpool, but apparently Disney said they'd keep it R.

Oh, speaking of the Deadpool movies, I'm profoundly disappointed that the Blu-Ray releases for Deadpool and Deadpool 2 didn't include any of the many brilliant web promo videos that was a huge part of the franchise's marketing. It's especially frustrating when they used that awesome Bob Ross parody in the menu sequence for Deadpool 2: The Super Duper Cut but don't include it on the disc in its entirely. And also frustrating since the home releases for The Dark Knight, Serenity, Ant-Man and probably a bunch of other movies included their web promos (The Anchorman DVD included some similar skits) . I kinda wonder if it's a rights issues thing. But I would have really appreciated having all of those promos in one place alongside the films themselves.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Fred: You got Cable? /Proceds to explain Cables backstory/
Deadpool: We... Got the time travel stuff.
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Alright. Just finished Captain Marvel. It was enjoyable. Actually threw me a few curveballs I didn't expect.

Spoiler
Expecting her to be some sort of Kree soldier, and Skrull's nature of deception(and Mendelssohn penchant for being villains recently), I fully expected the Skrulls to be the badguys. Imagine my surprise when it was the Kree who were the bad guys.

And it was the Tesseract that gave her her powers... kinda wonder why it didn't give to anyone else? Was it as it was blending Mar-Vell and the Tesseract's together?

Thought all the tech throwbacks were funny.

Overall, she was pretty OP.  But it made sense of it.

detourne_me

Yeah, I really liked Captain Marvel, too. Here is some fan speculation about her powers.
Spoiler
about the tesseract/her powers.
I think there was some interesting science stuff going on, like the tesseract was the power source for tye engine, but was housed in Mahr-Vell's ship. Maybe some sort of quantum entanglement device, so Carol's powers are linked directly to the infinity stone in it through quantum entanglement. So, while Vision was a vessel and expression of the Mind Stone, Captain Marvel is directly connected to the Space Stone, and wont be affected by Thanos.
She is pretty OP near the end, and this can't really continue, so she may get a massive depowering at the end of Endgame, or Monica will be the perfect age to step up and become Captain Marvel 2.

Silver Shocker

So I haven't seen it, but I have been following what's in the movie. So with that in mind...

Now that people are seeing the movie and talking about it....noone has anything to say about....

Spoiler
The cat scratching out Nick Fury's eye? I mean come on! We were JOKING about that when the trailer came out and it's the actual thing that happens in the movie. When I heard that I couldn't believe it. I kept thinking it was an elaborate internet hoax.

Also I had to look up what a "flerkin" was....some people online don't seem to grasp that not everyone has read the modern Captain Marvel comics. At first I thought it was some fan term the internet came up or something.

The Skrulls being good guys, and the Kree being the actual villains? Neat twist! Hats off to them for that. A reviewer I watch speculated, when the trailers were coming out, that the movie was withholding stuff from the trailers because there was some big twist in the movie....I'd say that qualifies. Kinda a different thing to do with the Skrulls. I'm curious if that will play into later movies.

Yeah, I've been hearing for a while how reliable Ben Mendelssohn is as an actor. Glad to see people enjoyed him in the movie.

Does anyone want to talk about Jude Law and Mar-Vell, or should we just avoid talking about it? I mean, I hate that MCU now makes movies we can't actually TALK about, but that's where we're at now.
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Silver Shocker on March 09, 2019, 12:19:51 AM
So I haven't seen it, but I have been following what's in the movie. So with that in mind...

Now that people are seeing the movie and talking about it....noone has anything to say about....

Spoiler
The cat scratching out Nick Fury's eye? I mean come on! We were JOKING about that when the trailer came out and it's the actual thing that happens in the movie. When I heard that I couldn't believe it. I kept thinking it was an elaborate internet hoax.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it was kind of weak. Guess that's what makes it rather legendary.

Spoiler
  I'm not sure what you mean about "not talking about it" but on the subject, I was surprised at the bit of a curveball we got. For one, I assumed Law was to be Mar-Vell, mentoring Carol and knowing he was Kree. I actually looked online to see who Annette Benning would be playing. I heard the Supreme Intelligence, I heard some sort of mentor. And when I saw the name "Wendy" Lawson didn't ring a bell with me (initially) that SHE would be Mar-Vell and not Jude Law, who honestly, didn't know who he was until at least half way through the movie.  Making Mar-Vell female was an interesting choice. I don't not like it. Additionally, I like what they did with the Supreme Intelligence. A lot actually. I hope to see more of Kree AND Skrulls in Phase 4. It's a whole other canvass to explore.

HarryTrotter

I actually guessed that one?  :rolleyes:
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

SN: One of the first things I remembered from a comic book was Monica Rambeau's Captain Marvel back in the 80s.  And the one thing about her that continued to stick out to my attention was her hair and I just thought it was even more endearing to see the girls they had in the role reflect that.

daglob

Quote from: Silver Shocker on March 09, 2019, 12:19:51 AM

Spoiler

Also I had to look up what a "flerkin" was....some people online don't seem to grasp that not everyone has read the modern Captain Marvel comics. At first I thought it was some fan term the internet came up or something.

The Skrulls being good guys, and the Kree being the actual villains? Neat twist! Hats off to them for that. A reviewer I watch speculated, when the trailers were coming out, that the movie was withholding stuff from the trailers because there was some big twist in the movie....I'd say that qualifies. Kinda a different thing to do with the Skrulls. I'm curious if that will play into later movies.

Yeah, I've been hearing for a while how reliable Ben Mendelssohn is as an actor. Glad to see people enjoyed him in the movie.

Does anyone want to talk about Jude Law and Mar-Vell, or should we just avoid talking about it? I mean, I hate that MCU now makes movies we can't actually TALK about, but that's where we're at now.

I'm sorry, but considering Zemo, Strucker, Hitler, and all the other enemies Fury has had, this is stupid.

I know, this Fury didn't fight these characters, but still... it's like deciding that Orko from Masters of the Universe or Java from Metamorpho is an evil mastermind.

HarryTrotter

Or revealing that Scrapy Doo is the villain of...Ok,Im not going there.

Oddly for this franchise,Nick Fury doesnt have an evil counterpart.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Hm,annoying sidekick turning into a villain...there has got to be more examples...I mean there are lists,but Im not going to click 16 times to see the whole list.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on March 09, 2019, 09:23:40 AM
Spoiler
I'm not sure what you mean about "not talking about it" but on the subject, I was surprised at the bit of a curveball we got. For one, I assumed Law was to be Mar-Vell, mentoring Carol and knowing he was Kree. I actually looked online to see who Annette Benning would be playing. I heard the Supreme Intelligence, I heard some sort of mentor. And when I saw the name "Wendy" Lawson didn't ring a bell with me (initially) that SHE would be Mar-Vell and not Jude Law, who honestly, didn't know who he was until at least half way through the movie.  Making Mar-Vell female was an interesting choice. I don't not like it. Additionally, I like what they did with the Supreme Intelligence. A lot actually. I hope to see more of Kree AND Skrulls in Phase 4. It's a whole other canvass to explore.

Spoiler
The movie's stirred up a bunch of controversy online and, well, I've heard claim it was the filmakers trolling a portion of the audience who....hate women I guess? Except it's not, it's just them not using the traditional Mar-Vell. I gotta admit, I'm a bit disappointed. Marvel spent the better part of a year stirring speculation over who Jude Law was playing, so they could surprise people by 1. having Law be the villain, Yon Rogg, which was of course spoiled by a crapload of merch, and 2. Reveal the real Marvell to be an older woman. Ok. I woulda preferred they make her a different character and keep Law Mar-Vell myself. I mean, Jude Law's a rather good choice to play Vell, particularly if you're NOT selling a movie franchise off his back (you'd probably get a younger actor in that case) and I don't think anyone was expecting him to be the main character, it's Carol Danvers' movie. But like the Mandarin, this seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Funny thing, before I heard THAT, I learned that Benning was playing the Supreme Intelligence. That one they did put out there before the movie came out. Having it take someone else's form isn't a bad idea (Beast Wars did it!) but I gotta admit, I was hoping for the big green head in the jar. Even Arnim Zola got more of an homage to the comics, and then there's this amazing concept art. I was hoping the SI would get a similar treatment. Unless that actually does appear in the movie, feel free to correct me.

Mind you, I thought Gemma Chan as Minn-Erva (based on Captain Marvel villain Doctor Minerva) was supposed to be the villain, so what do I know?

Here's a fun bit. Ben Mendelsohn plays Talos the Untamed. he was created by Peter David as something of a underdog Skrull in Incredible Hulk that you would be sympatheticto (he was a Skrull who could not shape-shift). PAD assumed he was the main villain of the film. Looks like the filmakers, whether intentionally or not, actually kinda reflected the source material more than he was expecting.

As for that darn cat. It doesn't make any fruity toot tooty sense. I had Winter Solder on tv last night and I saw the scene where Nick Fury says "The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." Except in that scene Cap's chewing Fury out for not letting him in on what his ulterior motive was for that op on the boat. Later Cap and him debate freedom versus security and Fury says "Shield takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be." It's one of the themes of the movie. If the cat scratched his eye out, why would he bring it up during a debate with Cap about such things?

It reminds me of when Georgie Porgie did the prequels. You couldn't have gotten some guy with a notepad to take a few hours and watch the movies and write down everything that might be relevant to the backstory? Hell, I do that kind of thing when I'm posting on this message board, and that's not even my job.

Then again, In Iron Man Coulson claimed they were "working on" a shorter name for Shield, yet we're later told Peggy Carter named the organization Shield as a reference to Cap. Retcons! Another thing brought over from the comic experience.

Funny thing, I was going to make a joke about what else they could bring over, and was going to use the C-List Cannon Fodder trope, but they already did that in Thor Ragnarok soo.... I don't know, the next Captain America will be about Jack Monroe and he'll have big shoulder pads and pouches and big guns and...no they did Cable in DP2 already. Ummm....zombies?

[EDIT] WHOAH, I didn't hear about this before: "Soh-Larr is a Kree spy investigating the Skulls. In the comics, he was the father of the first Kree-Skrull hybrid, Dorrek Supreme."

The two above characters are ancestors to Hulkling of the Young Avengers, aka Dorrek VIII. Coincidence? Maybe. It's a pretty elaborate family tree that includes a Skrull Emperor, and Talos, which might be why they referenced him. And yet, of all the characters in that family tree, they chose one whose ONLY appearance is in a Hulkling story. Maybe it's their way to ---screw it

HULKLING CONFIRMED!!one one one  :P

QuoteJava from Metamorpho is an evil mastermind.

Did that one really happen?

Sadly, Sith Lord Jar Jar is not canon yet, last I checked.

QuoteOddly for this franchise,Nick Fury doesnt have an evil counterpart.

Some could argue Robert Redford from Winter Soldier was one. Little mundane compared to the comics, but eh.

QuoteHm,annoying sidekick turning into a villain...there has got to be more examples...

Does it have to be an change for an adaptation? Because otherwise I can think of a few more.
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

Darth Jar-Jar... you have to wonder why that hasn't happened yet.

Silver Shocker

Give Filoni a few years. It took him 3 seasons to get to Ahsoka as a Sith and 4 to get to Darth Maul with robot legs. The very last arc of Clone Wars featured a Sith version of Yoda.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Well,there is a Young Avengers film in the works,so this might be related...
Jon Farmer