Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: Marvel Movies  (Read 43175 times)

Offline cranlox

Re: Marvel Movies
« Reply #720 on: April 24, 2019, 04:22:55 PM »
Amazing, spectacular Endgame!
I could see the movie as always in avant and I thought it was the best!
Endgame♥x3000! :thumbup:

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #721 on: April 25, 2019, 02:55:58 PM »
I see it Sunday. That said, Given how fast tickets are sold out, I feel like spoilers should be used for at least a couple weeks. That said, I have a theory that I'm gonna spoiler JIC (since part of it is based on information not everyone is tied into) so.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:01:33 PM by Tomato »

Offline cranlox

« Reply #722 on: April 26, 2019, 03:58:50 AM »
All I get answer is spoiler or something very close.
Just go see it!

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #723 on: April 26, 2019, 08:53:12 AM »
So I just saw it. And while I liked this VERY much more than Infinity War, thought this was quite the epic bow to put on the entire saga.

But...

I can't help but to have a TON of questions, since they decided to mess with the one thing that causes headaches in film history.

Jeez, the more I think about this the sillier it gets.  I mean, it was fun to watch, but it's making less and less sense to me.

Am I the only one? I gotta be missing something, right?

Offline kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #724 on: April 27, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
Saw it. Not the best Marvel movie, but still pretty darn good.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
« Reply #725 on: April 28, 2019, 02:10:01 AM »
I saw it today. Quite the movie. It may have 3 hours long, but it didn't feel like it, it went by without me even noticing.

Oh, for those wondering about post credits scenes....

I definitely enjoyed it. One things for sure though, all eyes are Marvel Studios to see what they're going to do next.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:01:37 AM by Silver Shocker »
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline GhostMachine

• Flying through the sky, poking evil in the eye!
    • My Comic Art gallery
« Reply #726 on: April 29, 2019, 06:07:51 AM »
My thoughts on Endgame:

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #727 on: April 29, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:43:57 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #728 on: April 29, 2019, 08:50:56 PM »
I can't make no real argument against what either of you said. But to be honest, a lot of it might be how you like your kool-aid flavored.

Offline kkhohoho

« Reply #729 on: April 30, 2019, 02:32:19 AM »

https://sheepfulsheepyard.tumblr.com/post/184470533501/wow-the-fact-that-the-russo-brothers-hate-how

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #730 on: April 30, 2019, 03:52:11 AM »

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #731 on: April 30, 2019, 04:42:50 AM »
KKhohoho:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:46:06 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #732 on: April 30, 2019, 05:38:46 PM »
Okay guys, breaking my dissertation exile to add commentary here.  Several of y'all have noted the same things I have, and I get the impression that we seem to be generally viewing the film the same way.

So, non-spoilery overview first:

Endgame was good, almost great. It is a fair, if not a perfect, ending of this amazing project. I did not love it the way I did Infinity War, but this film, admittedly, had a harder job to do than even its predecessor, an incredibly hard job. There is no more after this. This is the end. There will be more movies, more individual stories, and maybe Marvel will even try to manufacture another miracle and create another interwoven, overarching, franchise-spanning saga, but this movie is, unquestionably, the end of the journey that began over a decade ago. To create a satisfying ending to twenty plus films and a decade of storytelling and universe-building is a very tough job indeed.

It did that job pretty well, and with a comprehensiveness that was impressive and awe-inspiring. But it does have significant flaws, both on the plot and the thematic level. It is by turns touching, heart-rending, inspiring, and beautiful. Unfortunately, it is also occasionally stupidly silly and in a few (though too many for a project like this) moments it undercuts its own emotional impact for a cheap joke. Still, on the whole, it succeeds on the emotional level quite magnificently.

On the plot level, it is often creative and surprising, but it is also downright sloppy to a degree that is rather astonishing given the importance of the film and the accomplishment of its creators. However, given the nature and complexity of the story being told, such sloppiness is neither entirely surprising nor as damaging as it might be in other contexts.

I suppose the great question for a film like this, though its like has never actually existed before, is 'does it create a satisfying conclusion?' The answer is, yes, emotionally. It does, and it does so in wonderful ways, with tragedy and triumph. It provides the hopeful, inspiring experience that a comicbook film should, while still feeling weighty and significant. I walked out of the theater feeling somberly elated. Intellectually, the conclusion is less satisfying for a number of reasons I'll outline below. Despite that failing, I walked away happy, if not perfectly so.

So, go see it. It is worth seeing solely on the merits of the uniqueness of its cultural import, in recognition of the grand experiment that it concludes, but it is also worth seeing AS that conclusion, and on its own merits as a very good adventure film full of wonder, hope, and redemption.

So yes, the several of y'all who made predictions about my reactions were correct.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:20:25 PM by BentonGrey »
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey2

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #733 on: May 01, 2019, 03:07:20 AM »
Yay, glad to see you pop up Benton! Really enjoyed hearing your thoughts!  :thumbup:

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline kkhohoho

« Reply #734 on: May 01, 2019, 03:53:38 AM »

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #735 on: May 01, 2019, 05:06:32 AM »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline kkhohoho

« Reply #736 on: May 01, 2019, 11:50:31 AM »

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #737 on: May 01, 2019, 11:57:31 AM »
Okay, I think I kinda solved my major problem with the movie and honest with similar movies as well.  And it took a while, almost felt like I had to do a Matrix and do a data download of science and and research actual theories. But I'll break it down.  And it came to me while thinking about the latest Game of Thrones episode.

Anyway, that's what I got.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #738 on: May 01, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #739 on: May 01, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
Okay, I think I kinda solved my major problem with the movie and honest with similar movies as well.  And it took a while, almost felt like I had to do a Matrix and do a data download of science and and research actual theories. But I'll break it down.  And it came to me while thinking about the latest Game of Thrones episode.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:31:25 PM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #740 on: May 01, 2019, 04:22:01 PM »
Yay, glad to see you pop up Benton! Really enjoyed hearing your thoughts!  :thumbup:

Thanks SS!  That's a very nice welcome!  :D  Glad you enjoyed my ramblings!

comics are all about hope out of tragedy and finding the third way.

That's a very narrow-minded view of comics.

True.  It also happens to be the correct one.  ;)  Ha, seriously though, I am willing to defend that claim.  Superhero comics (which is what I mean, to be clear), grew out of the Great Depression, and they were all about finding hope in a more fantastic world than the grim reality folks faced every day (coincidentally, I am fairly certain this is why these movies are so popular in our own day and age).  That is the the through-line of superhero comics, though they can and do tackle other themes often enough.  The core elements in the conception of the superhero are power fantasies and hope.  We are not strong or tough enough to fight off danger or correct injustice, so we invent a Superman.  We lack the strength to turn tragedy into triumph, so we invent a Batman.  There is more to comics, but these ideas are in their DNA at the most basic level.

Shogunn, really interesting!  Also, I'm glad you enjoyed this one more than the last one.  I'm sorry you had so many problems with Infinity War (because tone is hard in text, to be clear, I mean this earnestly).

Further thoughts on plot holes:

I really want to watch the final act again...but I'm rather reluctant to go sit through the entire movie, including the bits I hated, again.  Ha.  :P  I wish:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:23:59 PM by BentonGrey »
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #741 on: May 02, 2019, 02:23:13 AM »
Shogunn, really interesting!  Also, I'm glad you enjoyed this one more than the last one.  I'm sorry you had so many problems with Infinity War (because tone is hard in text, to be clear, I mean this earnestly).

Lol, no worries, I gotcha, bro. But to be honest, at this point, it's hard for me to see them as separate movies, Infinity War and Endgame. I went back and reread my comments and I'm still just kinda confused why were they insisting they were to be two separate movie.  I mean I guess technically you can watch Avengers:AOA without having watched Avengers and you can watch Avengers: IW without having watched AOA or Avengers. But it's hard to imagine that someone can watch Endgame without having watched IW. But that's neither here nor there.

But I do have this question about what you said, Benton. If anyone else his following his logic, feel free to chip in... I suppose we're all still trying to figure this one out.

Speaking of...

I really want to watch the final act again...but I'm rather reluctant to go sit through the entire movie, including the bits I hated, again.  Ha.  :P  I wish:

I'm seriously thinking about buying a ticket... watching the first scene or two the leaving. Go home, go to the gym, get something to eat, or walk around the mall... come back a few hours later just for the last part!  :lol:

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #742 on: May 02, 2019, 03:02:53 AM »
Lol, no worries, I gotcha, bro. But to be honest, at this point, it's hard for me to see them as separate movies, Infinity War and Endgame. I went back and reread my comments and I'm still just kinda confused why were they insisting they were to be two separate movie.  I mean I guess technically you can watch Avengers:AOA without having watched Avengers and you can watch Avengers: IW without having watched AOA or Avengers. But it's hard to imagine that someone can watch Endgame without having watched IW. But that's neither here nor there.

Agreed.  That was more or less my take on IW to begin with, which is why, though I understood your reservations, I wasn't troubled by them.  I'm glad that this has helped.

But I do have this question about what you said, Benton. If anyone else his following his logic, feel free to chip in... I suppose we're all still trying to figure this one out.

Ahh, see, that's the genius of this approach (however much we have to do the narrative work which the filmmakers should have done):

Speaking of...

I'm seriously thinking about buying a ticket... watching the first scene or two the leaving. Go home, go to the gym, get something to eat, or walk around the mall... come back a few hours later just for the last part!  :lol:

Haha!  I don't blame you!  I have considered the same thing!  :lol:  That may be my favorite Marvel movie moment to date.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 08:24:56 PM by BentonGrey »
God Bless

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #743 on: May 02, 2019, 07:37:22 PM »
Time isnt a straight line,its more like a timey-wimey....okay,I cant do this... 🙂
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #744 on: May 05, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »
BTW, word around the campfire has it that the first film of phase four will introduce a character we should have saw coming...

Phase 4 Spoiler:

Phase 3 Spoiler:

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #745 on: May 05, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #746 on: May 05, 2019, 07:38:33 PM »
Shogunn:

'Mato:
God Bless

Offline BRANDEN

« Reply #747 on: May 06, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »
There's eventually talk the Inhuman's film might be dropped, by virtue of noteworthy utilization of In people in Agents of SHIELD, despite the way in which that the TV and motion picture approach are at present obliged by completely various individuals

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #748 on: May 06, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
New, spoilerific Spider-Man trailer

Mysterio's looking pretty good. By which I mean, of course, his fishbowl.  ^_^
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:42:41 PM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #749 on: May 06, 2019, 02:40:11 PM »
Wait,is that...Spoony?  :D
Okay,that kid at the end kinda looks like Spoony.

So Mysterio is now Abra Kadabra?And I guess Donnie Darko is now explained.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer