Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I often pay to watch movies that differ from the source material, as I understand that there are limits to the format and things that work in comics that don't work in live action films. And, I often pay to watch movies that have some plot holes but are still mostly solid efforts and overall good entertainment. We were planning to see Dark Phoenix last weekend, but decided to put it off. I am now feeling lucky that we did. I am willing to wait (and pay less) to see a movie that is apparently thrown together, has massive plot holes, never decides what the actual challenge is, ignores things established just one movie ago, doesn't make use of things that made previous movies in the series fun, etc.

I mean, just as an example, why not have a Quicksilver scene? 1) They are fun to watch. 2) They lighten the mood. 3) It's fairly straightforward to waylay or dismiss the character somehow so that his obvious "win button" power isn't a factor in critical battles. 4) People have come to look forward to a slow-mo scene with him set to some classic music of the era. So, what the heck? Was it a decision specifically made to disappoint fans? "Here we have this thing that we have done in the last two movies and everyone loves it. Let's totally just drop it from our swan song."

Anyway, this whole thing is sort of a shame. Despite some shortcomings, I have generally enjoyed these X-Men movies. I know there is a pattern of making a series of movies and then rebooting them. But, if the movies are entertaining, I don't usually find myself waiting for the reboot while the last of the series is still in the theaters. I guess Fox has entered a new era of foreshadowing where they leave the fans longing for the reboot.  <_<

Benton, that link was hilarious and several of the "Pitch Meeting" series from that YouTuber have been a hoot to watch.  :lol:
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Silver Shocker

Just watched Captain Marvel.

I'd say I enjoyed it more than I expected, or perhaps the same amount? Not even really sure. It's a MCU origin story, it's alright. Brie Larson's Captain Marvel was kinda half and half for me. Sometimes she's kinda aloof and subdued, sometimes she's kinda snarky, kinda like, almost every character in the MCU (except Thanos, obviously). But it definitely did a better job of selling the character than Endgame did. I found she and the movie were at their best during the buddy-cop stuff with Fury. Sam Jackson definitely stole the movie for me. Any time he was on screen I was paying attention. The Kree stuff I kinda went in and out. I got a bit distracted during the final end near the end, so I lost track of some of the characters, so I may have to go back and watch that part again or at least look up online what happened to specific characters.

The cat was cute, but somewhat underplayed, I could have gone for more of the cat.

I liked Jude Law, but I've liked him in other stuff so that wasn't a surprise. I'd heard Ben Mendohlson was good in this and I was not disappointed. He was kinda great.

Spoiler
One thing was wondering, how long do alien kitties live? Because if it was a normal cat it'd be long dead by now, but because it's an alien kitty it might live to show up in a sequel?

Another thing, we all talked about how silly it was how Fury lost his eye, but there was one bit at the end I didn't remember hearing from when the movie came out. In the final scene with Fury, Coulson's like "Sorry one of those Kree took out your eye." and Fury's like "Uh, yeah." So I guess Fury really did gave a B.S. story about how he lost his eye that was cooler, because he was embarrassed he lost it in such a lame way. Tomato brought that up when the movie came out. I'm glad that, now that I've seen the movie proper, I can see that they kinda covered their tracks there.

Rereading the posts from when the movie came out, I'm a little surprised that Annete Benning playing both Mar-Vell and The SI was kinda last minute thing, considering how well-integrated into the story it is. The SI using the likeness of someone you know and respect is one of the first pieces of information we're told in the film, and it kinda plans into the plot throughout the flick. 
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

I liked CM as well. It had a hard time I think because it had to follow Infinity War so the bar was high. But I thought it was a straightforward action sci-fi flick. I was also an alterna-teen so a bit of appeal there. I also liked that they patched the plot holes revolving around SHIELD before going to Endgame with this. And it a had a cat that looks like mine so yeah, lol. Should Google the cats red carpet premier, that's fun to watch. Yeah the cat got to be up there on the stage next to Brie and everything, it mostly slept the whole time ha!

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I'm a cat person. I totally watched a few minutes of the "Goose the Cat" livestream tonight.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

My Peanut says hello!

BentonGrey

Hello Peanut!  :lol:  He looks like our Fatty Bolger.  :)

Yeah, I liked the bits with the cat.  They were some of the more entertaining moments in the movie.  Of course, I'm also a cat person.  However, I'm also all that stands between my wife and her future as a crazy cat lady, so I fully expect that she will LOVE those bits when she sees the movie. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

Ah, now, that's a handsome cat.

I need to post a pic of Diego, now that his leg is healed up and he has filled out.

SickAlice

Oh Peanut is obese or so the doctors say. He's just full I say.

I think the breakout performer in CM was Ben Mendelsohn. He brought all the charm to the film it needed. Just as I think Karen Gillan is the breakout in Endgame, award worthy and deserving of nothing but the big roles from here on out for Nebula if you ask me actually.

Shogunn2517

This may be an unpopular opinion but I actually liked Captain Marvel better than Wonder Woman. I hate to have to compare the two but it's what it is. And as a movie, this just made more sense to me. The plotholes in WW were too glaring and they seemed to try to do too much. It was fine but I just found CM more satisfying ultimately.

BentonGrey

I still haven't seen WW, but CM was pretty sound, plot-wise, whatever is the case with the underwhelming portrayal of the main character. 

I thought the Honest Trailer was pretty much spot-on.  They even pointed out the cognitive dissonance I experienced between a de-aged Samuel L and watching him move.  :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIvhu_YNCJg

SA, I agree.  Mendelsohn was very surprising and enjoyable in that role.  He's what made that whole twist work for me.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

SickAlice

I liked it better as well. WW was all over the place, like Speed it was like watching several short movies in a row and seemed to jump from one thing to the next. I also felt Wonder Woman wasn't tested enough. Like she just walked through any trials waving her hand and pushing past anything. I like a character struggle in a story and them having to overcome a battle internally as well externally, I think it defines a heroic moment.

stumpy

Interesting. I'd certainly agree that WW didn't really seem to meet her match in terms of opponents. But, she was challenged by circumstances and was unable to save the day on at least two significant occasions. Anyway, it's a fair criticism of WW that her actual combat opponents were not a match for her.

That said, if we are comparing, CM had that problem ten times over. She easily bowled over any opponent she came across, and that's before she "unlocked her true power". By the end of the movie, I was wondering whether any of the other Avengers would even be needed for End Game, since she could likely fight Thanos to a standstill on her own. And, apparently, I wasn't alone, since End Game arranged things so that Captain Win Button was conveniently absent for the vast majority of the movie's combat.

Spoiler
IMO, a more significant problem for WW was that the movie seemed to be building to Diana finally understanding that people aren't always peaceful by nature and that wars happen whether or not some god of war is provoking them. Steve Trevor is very clearly trying to get Diana to acknowledge that possibility. But, the movie never really paid it off. Right when that realization should have been clear, actual Ares shows up and it turns out that he is apparently the reason the war continued, since it seems like peace was ready to break out as soon as he was defeated. At least in CM, when the protagonist realizes that her underlying assumption (all Skrulls == evil) is wrong, the movie doesn't immediately undermine the realization with a giant battle whose resolution implies the assumption was true all along.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Silver Shocker

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 15, 2019, 04:02:05 AM
I thought the Honest Trailer was pretty much spot-on.  They even pointed out the cognitive dissonance I experienced between a de-aged Samuel L and watching him move.  :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIvhu_YNCJg

I saw that Honest Trailer too and I remember that bit with Samuel L. I watched reviews for the flick by a few other content creators I watched and couldn't remember who made that observation until now. Fortunately, I'm no expert at pointing out dodgy CGI so I never noticed that bit about Fury until they pointed it out. On the other hand, I could spot the shots where the cat was CGI like a champ.  :lol:
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Haha, SS, I saw it pretty immediately.  He LOOKED like a young man, but he MOVED like an old man.  It's just one of those things that we process subconsciously.

Stumpy, yeah, like I said before, CM's power level is a major problem for the MCU.
God Bless

Silver Shocker

QuoteIt's just one of those things that we process subconsciously.

"We" meaning "us old men", Pops?  :P
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

God Bless

SickAlice

@stumpy: No, I meant tested as a person, the traditional storytelling mechanism of introducing the conflict to make the protagonist work for it thus to the rising action into the climax. WW was pretty at the climax from the word go. I would have more enjoyed a film say just about her exploits on the island and struggle with being an individual among her people say. Or becoming immediately and completely nonplussed by the world of man to the point of existential crisis. CM had a bit more to work out here given her life and memories of it was a lie. Who are the good guys and the bad was the test and the result whom she would chose to be. WW didn't seem very involved in her environment, again I think more because it jumped from setting and story to setting and story. It's hard to get at the heart of a character when it's structured like that. I did like it though, good popcorn thrill ride movie and she looked awesome. But I didn't walk away contemplating what I watched. I ain't saying CM is Endgame either but scifi and grounded people stories just appeal to me more personally. It just had more character. Funny off topic bit, part of CM took place in view of my front yard but was actually filmed in California and I could see the differences in the fauna. 

And yeah, I'm projecting the mythology I know but what I described is the crux of the Greek pantheon and really would have made it more compelling and touching as a story. Big battle stories are fun mind you but I more read comics for the characters, not the wars.

SickAlice

Okay add to fact I grew up an alterna-teen and own everything by Trent Reznor. Strawberry ice cream, mint chocolate chip. You know how it is.

Silver Shocker

Not really familiar with Trent Reznor, but I do love mint chocolate chip. Always been a fan of mint flavored stuff.
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Well, that's one of the reasons you're an oddball....  ;)
God Bless

BentonGrey

God Bless

SickAlice

@DJ: Claypool is top ten for me and I've always been an oddball, called that by name. I is what I is, expecting normalcy from me is only setting oneself up for disappointment.

BentonGrey

Haha!  Sorry DJ, it's official now.  You drink as much as one Aquaman.  :lol:

So guys, I know this is super out of date at this point, but I've been going through some of those Pitch Meeting videos, and I just watched the Thor: Ragnarok one.  It's hilariuos and a pretty much perfect send-up of everything wrong with that movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2kl4cVc5Dw

I feel somewhat vindicated. 
God Bless

BentonGrey

Haha!  :lol:  Or does he drink....like a fish?

This tickles me especially because Aquaman is my favorite character, and I don't drink myself.   :P
God Bless

Silver Shocker

Because I'm a giant nerd, my response can only be one thing...

Whoah. Whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah......which version of Aquaman?  :lol:

[And yes, that's inspired by a vaguely similar joke from Friends.]
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

@DJ: Sort of around to the point that there is no normal thus everyone is in their own right. At best people either go with the social norm or against but that in itself is no more than an abstract concept and not real. Neither is wrong in my opinion, do what works for you I say. But the judgement is because we all know we're a bit weird when we look at our own thoughts. Speaking of weird and Claypool it was that Fungi or Foe one for me. I may have the title wrong but I disregarded it quickly. I love that he reinvents himself for the sake of art yet of course sometimes that leads to unspeakable valleys being entered. That one...it just made me literally physically uncomfortable to listen to. He made it up with the Chocolate Factory cover to me though so it all shakes out.

I'm an odd out here on the drinking thing. I used to be a 24 hours falling down drunk, high Southern was my choice but I would just as well pound a jug of Apple Blush, whatever kept me from remembering. I quit both because I had to physically and because I was breaking my moms heart, wasn't easy of course either. I had to go into the mountains in isolation. Yet I'm not for sobriety, it's a case by case basis I think. Another if it works for you. But if it doesn't or the amount doesn't then you got a habit you need to alter. Through all of it I was pretty good at not letting it overcome me either in relationships nor obligations. I met obligations, paid my bills on time and was rather quiet so I didn't cause a lot of problems. But I drank to much hard stuff with no buffer and wrecked my stomach more or less and there she went. Now I have to take prescription bills for the anxiety so still my liver is under fire. We're just creatures dependent on chemistry at the end of the day however we find and or take it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I just something fun about the new Far From Home

Spoiler

J. K. Simmons is back as J. Jonah Jameson!  He was about the perfect actor for the role, so I'm glad they decide to just bring him back to the role instead of recasting it again, even if it's only a cameo appearance.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Hey, that's cool!  You're right, he was perfect.
God Bless

Shogunn2517

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on June 28, 2019, 02:11:56 AM
I just something fun about the new Far From Home

Spoiler

J. K. Simmons is back as J. Jonah Jameson!  He was about the perfect actor for the role, so I'm glad they decide to just bring him back to the role instead of recasting it again, even if it's only a cameo appearance.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Are you serious! That's dope!!!!

SickAlice

I haven't seen it yet, not really in a rush to. Still full from Endgame. Did notice the stealth costume images online though and was wondering why he has open fingered gloves. Wouldn't that like leave his fingerprints everywhere and defeat the whole point of espionage?