Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: Marvel Movies  (Read 41745 times)

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
Re: Marvel Movies
« Reply #810 on: June 18, 2019, 03:24:37 PM »
Benton: Aquaman doesn't drink so NOT equal to me.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #811 on: June 18, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »
Haha!  :lol:  Or does he drink....like a fish?

This tickles me especially because Aquaman is my favorite character, and I don't drink myself.   :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 04:08:41 PM by BentonGrey »
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey2

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
« Reply #812 on: June 19, 2019, 07:04:46 AM »
Because I'm a giant nerd, my response can only be one thing...

Whoah. Whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah......which version of Aquaman?  :lol:

[And yes, that's inspired by a vaguely similar joke from Friends.]
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline SickAlice

• Virtual prophet and aspiring beet farmer
  • bing cherry
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #813 on: June 19, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »
@DJ: Sort of around to the point that there is no normal thus everyone is in their own right. At best people either go with the social norm or against but that in itself is no more than an abstract concept and not real. Neither is wrong in my opinion, do what works for you I say. But the judgement is because we all know we're a bit weird when we look at our own thoughts. Speaking of weird and Claypool it was that Fungi or Foe one for me. I may have the title wrong but I disregarded it quickly. I love that he reinvents himself for the sake of art yet of course sometimes that leads to unspeakable valleys being entered. That one...it just made me literally physically uncomfortable to listen to. He made it up with the Chocolate Factory cover to me though so it all shakes out.

I'm an odd out here on the drinking thing. I used to be a 24 hours falling down drunk, high Southern was my choice but I would just as well pound a jug of Apple Blush, whatever kept me from remembering. I quit both because I had to physically and because I was breaking my moms heart, wasn't easy of course either. I had to go into the mountains in isolation. Yet I'm not for sobriety, it's a case by case basis I think. Another if it works for you. But if it doesn't or the amount doesn't then you got a habit you need to alter. Through all of it I was pretty good at not letting it overcome me either in relationships nor obligations. I met obligations, paid my bills on time and was rather quiet so I didn't cause a lot of problems. But I drank to much hard stuff with no buffer and wrecked my stomach more or less and there she went. Now I have to take prescription bills for the anxiety so still my liver is under fire. We're just creatures dependent on chemistry at the end of the day however we find and or take it.

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #814 on: June 28, 2019, 02:11:56 AM »
I just something fun about the new Far From Home

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #815 on: June 28, 2019, 04:13:46 AM »
Hey, that's cool!  You're right, he was perfect.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #816 on: June 28, 2019, 05:12:09 AM »
I just something fun about the new Far From Home

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Are you serious! That's dope!!!!

Offline SickAlice

• bing cherry
« Reply #817 on: July 04, 2019, 06:42:39 AM »
I haven't seen it yet, not really in a rush to. Still full from Endgame. Did notice the stealth costume images online though and was wondering why he has open fingered gloves. Wouldn't that like leave his fingerprints everywhere and defeat the whole point of espionage?

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #818 on: July 04, 2019, 03:10:11 PM »
Just got back from watching it. It was really really good.
I'd put it in the top 10, not quite top 5 MCU movies. And probably 2nd or 3rd best Spider-Man movie after Raimi Spider-Man 2.

Stay after the credits!

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #819 on: July 05, 2019, 02:18:56 AM »
Yeah, I saw it last night too,  but unfortunately I gotta say I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as you did, DM. I mean if you held a gun to my head and asked, I'd say yes it was good, but I don't think it held up well compared to the first. And in regard to Spider Man movies overall, I'd still put Raimi's first two ahead of this as well.

It was solid, but in many cases seemed to try to do too much.

Again, overall I liked it, but some of these inconsistencies stuck out to me. Just thought the first was a stronger entry.

Oh and also

Offline stumpy

• treselgonian dementialist
  • Administrator
« Reply #820 on: July 05, 2019, 05:41:55 AM »
I saw it and enjoyed it. The whole balancing the potential responsibilities of Spider-Man as a hero with the more globe-trotting reach that SHIELD/Fury wants against the friendly, neighborhood Spidey that Peter envisions is still a compelling storyline, overall. Yes, it's been done before during Raimi's tenure on the series. But, I think it still works and is even more of a potential burden with Spidey as part of the larger MCU.

Currently reading: High Mage (The Spellmonger Series) by Terry Mancour
Just finished reading: Pelya (The Dralin Trilogy) by John H. Carrol

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #821 on: July 07, 2019, 03:17:00 AM »
Saw it today. I definitely enjoyed it. It went in some directions I was expecting (but still enjoyed) and some I was not expecting, which certainly kept things interesting. Ned probably stole the show for comedy IMO. It was neat to see this version of Betty Brant have a bigger role. It was nice to see Happy Hogan be nicer to Peter after brushing him off in Homecoming. Fury was....alright in this, but those expecting another team-up like in Captain Marvel might be disappointed. Though Nick Fury's car had "MTU" (Marvel Team-Up) written on its license plate (another car's license plate had ASM - Amazing Spider-Man)

Still not a big fan of Michelle, but she was certainly used better in this film than in Homecoming. I'm also still not sold on Flash. Don't really like the kind of humor he's used for, and he comes off as a missed opportunity given some of the more interesting developments with the character in other iterations.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:20:46 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #822 on: July 09, 2019, 07:18:46 AM »
Arkham games.... I can see that. That's a fair comparison. Makes sense.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #823 on: July 14, 2019, 04:58:48 AM »
Just saw it and caught up on spoiler tags.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #824 on: July 15, 2019, 12:02:03 AM »
Had some time to think on it and...

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #825 on: July 20, 2019, 04:02:14 AM »
So, we just saw this, and everyone in my group liked it.  It was fun, enjoyable, but not REALLY a Spider-Man movie in setting or large-scale feel.  In themes, of course, it was.  The kid was born to play Spider-Man.  He's perfect.  The first one was better, but not massively so.  It was definitely funny and occasionally charming.  The humor did feel a bit forced in a few spots, though.

My previous issues with this version continue and are definitely a bit magnified in this outing, but I'm still enjoying this take for the moment, largely because of the very solid overall quality.  "Flash" bothered me more on this one, MJ probably a little bit less because they let her evolve beyond the obnoxiousness of the first one...though she has somehow turned into April Ludgate.  I still wish they had just given her a different name.  I'd be fine with Spidey having a different high school girlfriend, as MJ was always more of a college/adult character.

Mysterio was quite good, and I was very pleased on the whole with their take on him.

Spoilery thoughts, including my biggest criticism:

So, on the whole, it was good.  I'm glad I saw it, but I wasn't blown away by it. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:07:03 AM by BentonGrey »
God Bless

Offline SickAlice

• bing cherry
« Reply #826 on: July 20, 2019, 04:32:37 PM »
I liked it better than the first. Still had that fun the first did but they didn't take it so far as to make it ridiculous. More streamlined and it had better pacing as well was more intimate. I actually care about their MJ which I did not in the first movie. I tried to grant it the whole time that this film wasn't trying to live up to Homecoming but rather Endgame, or at least that was going to be the expectation so I flushed Endgame from my brain first as well I could. They should have done a later release that said, too close to the hype of Endgame. I would have went for a release right about when the Endgame DVD hits. That way they would ensure more people see Endgame and may have an interest in it's epilogue. In the same way then they would pretty much be able to own the action figure aisles this Christmas. Anyways Mysterio is hella awesome, this movie could have been a flop and it would of worth it for that.

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #827 on: July 22, 2019, 04:20:53 AM »
So...

Along with the new shows and movies announced at the SDCC... (I suppose I'll put it in spoilers, for now at least...)

Offline SickAlice

• bing cherry
« Reply #828 on: July 22, 2019, 05:07:36 AM »
Not really new announcements all things considered sans giving titles to a few. I'm glad they're pushing it down a few years, I think if they get greedy and don't allow for a lapse they'll create an over-saturation lull.

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #829 on: July 23, 2019, 12:14:42 AM »
Well...subscribing to Disney+ was going to be unlikely but after seeing this line-up, Disney can just take my money!

Offline SickAlice

• bing cherry
« Reply #830 on: July 23, 2019, 06:33:37 AM »
Same, lol.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #831 on: July 24, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »
So...

Along with the new shows and movies announced at the SDCC... (I suppose I'll put it in spoilers, for now at least...)

I wouldn't bet on it. I had a much longer post but the board ate it (grr) so I'll cut to the chase:

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #832 on: July 25, 2019, 03:05:56 AM »
Well, following in Marvel's intensely stupid footsteps, apparently Jane Foster is going to be taking over, not as the Goddess of Thunder, Thunderstrike, or any other appropriate name, but as "Thor," the personal name, the first name of Thor-freaking-Odinson.  It's so stupid that it makes my brain hurt.  So, I'm guessing that's going to put a different spin on things.  A female thunder goddess is fine, and given what they've done to Thor, I'd have no problem with that, but you can't name her Thor, because that's a name, not a title:banghead:

Sorry, this kind of stupidity gets under my skin.
God Bless

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #833 on: July 25, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
I'd say something about Benton's rant (?) on Jane Foster/Thor that might make some sense but I've got way, way too much on my plate and extremely little time or want to pontificate on it...so meh.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #834 on: July 25, 2019, 09:45:36 PM »
It's not as simple as that in the comics, and I'll reserve judgement until I see the film. Frankly, I'm more concerned that they're using the same actress... No offense, she was ok in the first two films, but I don't see her pulling off the Amazonian looking Jane Foster Thor from the comics.

Back to the name... From what I understand, it was a dread pirate Roberts situation. When she did take up the name (because before that it was just what people were calling her and she didn't want to be called that) it was because Thor asked her to continue doing heroics in his name for reasons related to the story.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #835 on: July 25, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »
Pontificate away if you want, DJ!  :)

'Mato, I am not judging the film itself and, in fact, given what they've done to Thor himself, replacing the character with pretty much anybody else makes me more receptive to them continuing the story.  I didn't know they tried to explain it in the comics, but that's still sorta' weaksauce.  It's just stupid for her to go by "Thor."  It's like Pepper taking over as Iron Man and going by Tony or Babs taking over the cowl and going by Bruce.
God Bless

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #836 on: July 26, 2019, 12:06:52 AM »
It's like Pepper taking over as Iron Man and going by Tony or Babs taking over the cowl and going by Bruce.

I don't like her taking his name either, but you comparison makes zero sense. Thor's real name IS his hero name.  They are one and the same.  The example you gave are nothing like that.  The Iron Man identity and name and the Batman one as well are separate from the person names, so passing them down does not make it necessary to pass on the personal name too.  Thor's superhero name IS his personal name.  He can't pass on his heroic identity to someone else without them using it.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #837 on: July 26, 2019, 12:07:35 AM »
<points Benton to the parts wherein he said he had way, way too much on his place nor the time> See my previous post, BG!

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #838 on: July 26, 2019, 02:10:33 AM »
See, I specifically used the Dread Pirate Roberts comparison because I felt it most appropriate in this instance. In the context of Princess Bride, there was very likely an original Dread Pirate Roberts, and Roberts was presumably his actual name. His successors took on the name because they realized that the name is what's important. "No one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Westley" and so too would no one surrender to the Mighty Jane, at least no one in Thor's general weight class. As cat correctly points out, the name is both his real name AND his superhero identity. And there have been other Thors before now: Beta Ray Bill WAS the main protagonist under the Thor title, as was Erik Masterson. And Erik was *absolutely* called Thor by the public (it's why he changes his costume to that 90s getup he had after Thor came back).

"Whosoever hold this hammer, if (s)he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." -in the context of the original Lee comic, that meant Donald Blake becoming Thor Odinson. It may not be as literal now, but I don't see any difference between Jane doing good in Thor's name temporarily and Dick doing good in Batman's. Or, and I cannot stress this enough, Erik and Beta Ray Bill doing good in Thor's name with Thor's own powers.

And if it's about the fact that she didn't move on to a different identity after Thor inevitably returned like Beta Ray and Erik did... she has. She's become one of the Valkyrie. And with all but one being dead ATM due to what we learn in Ragnarok, I can see them going in that direction here as well.

Offline Mothgirl

« Reply #839 on: July 26, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »
The thermian argument. Everything in a fictional universe CAN be changed,so it SHOULD be changed.