Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

I mean, it could be the godslayer character that caused Thor to be depowered in the comics.

BentonGrey

I don't much care for Bale as a person, but he's a fine actor, and I'm sure he'll do a good job with whatever they give him.  It is curious, though.  I wonder who he might play.  Maybe Seth?  He might be good as Seth.  If the Thor movies weren't guaranteed to be very much not to my taste going forward, I would actually be super interested in a movie bringing in Seth and his mythos.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Panther_Gunn

I guess it kind of depends on if the story takes place on Midgard or off-world.  If it's mostly on Earth, I could see him maybe playing The Wrecker.  Even given some of the odd casting choices in the past, I doubt they'd cast him as The Absorbing Man.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Silver Shocker

Ah, yes, the Godslayer. I was thinking of him earlier. Seth is a good guess too. I didn't think of him.
Other possibilities:
-The Serpent (though in other iterations he's closer to Odin's age)
-Grey Gargoyle
-Zarko the Tomorrow Man
-Paragus of the Dark Gods (though I think I and Dan Jurgens are the only people who ever cared about the Dark Gods)
-Perhaps a more human version of Jormundand, the Midgard Serpent?
-Mongoose?
-A new version of an old villain (say, Surtur reborn in a new, more human body)
-A new Executioner (they have been a whole bunch in the comics, I was actually looking that up a while ago)

Absorbing Man already appeared in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but I suppose the movies could either ignore it, recast him or have him be a different Absorbing Man.

Grandmaster wasn't a Thor villain (nor was Red King from Planet Hulk, who Grandmaster was subbing for) nor were Korg and Miek Thor characters. And Guardians basically just used whatever space-based characters they wanted (that weren't tied up in Fantastic Four movie rights issues) so yeah, it doesn't necessarily need to be a Thor villain. It could also be a setup for a later movie (for example, Grandmaster makes a cameo during the end credits of Guardians 2).
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

Honestly, though....

Apparently there's the rumor that...

Spoiler
the Loki series on Disney Plus will introduce Kang as possibly the next big bad of the MCU.

If that were the case, I could see Bale playing him. I understand it'd be quite the commitment, but considering all we've been hearing about this film.... and the shared universe, I have to think this is completely in the realm of possiblity.

BentonGrey

Hmm, I could see that.  I would actually really like to see him in a movie, as he's a fantastic villain.  However, I REALLY hope they don't make the Thor movies integral to whatever they're doing, because I won't be watching any more of those.

Of course, I've had my day.  I got an epic that was really quite good and mostly what I wanted, so I suppose I can't complain.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

SickAlice

I like Bales acting though tbh every time I see him in a role I can't help but have flashes of American Pyscho. It was hard to watch him as Batman with those images in my head. Not saying I have anything against Huey Lewis and The News of course...

Silver Shocker

Shogun:

I was thinking of him the other day. My all-time favorite Marvel villain. I've been waiting a long time for him to show up and if he does I hope they do a great job on him.

Benton: given your feelings on Thor, I can't say I'm surprised (I finally rewatched Endgame on Disney Plus just last night, including Big Thorbowski, so I've got a big stupid grin on my face as I type this). But that film being important going forward may be a very real possibility. It's (probably?) the only Phase One Marvel movie still continuing, and given how Ragnarok ended and IW began....

As long as you're remembering how much those movies have frustrated you, I might as well bring up the other idea I had for Bale's role.

Baldur the Brave, finally appears in this series, and for some reason he's a villain.

I don't know how likely it is they'd do that, but I'm sure it would infuriate longtime Thor fans.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Well, that would be par for the course, then.  :P

Ohh, and I'm sure it will be important going forward, because of course it would be. :angry:  Ha.  And, once again, I have nothing against the idea of a broken Thor or the premise of the character being funny; I have a problem with bad storytelling that sacrifices every single emotional beat for cheap laughs, as opposed to balancing them like good storytelling does.  But, I'm sure y'all are plenty sick of hearing me gripe about it, ha. 
God Bless

SickAlice

Pretty sure we all gripe about comic stuff and because we all care a great deal about it. I don't have a lot of opinions about it myself because frankly I don't care. When it comes to the first movie I'm invested. When it's at the fourth I figure the company is just milking it and it becomes a take it or leave it proposition. Likewise the Jane Thor idea. I liked the comic. More I liked the Unworthy Thor aspect. I like seeing Thor challenged, I think it fleshes out the character. However I feel they're using the Jane idea in film because it equals merchandise as opposed to using it because a writer had an idea for a story so it's probably going to end up coming off inauthentic. That in mind I'm not invested in it either.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 10, 2020, 04:35:04 AM
Well, that would be par for the course, then.  :P

Ohh, and I'm sure it will be important going forward, because of course it would be. :angry:  Ha.  And, once again, I have nothing against the idea of a broken Thor or the premise of the character being funny; I have a problem with bad storytelling that sacrifices every single emotional beat for cheap laughs, as opposed to balancing them like good storytelling does.  But, I'm sure y'all are plenty sick of hearing me gripe about it, ha.

Yep, we've talked about it before. I see both sides of the debate very clearly. On the one hand they've done to the Thor mythos what Legends of Tomorrow did to itself, on the other hand, I can't deny some of it is funny and Chris Hemsworth is clearly having a ball doing this version of Thor.

Fun story, I don't know if I've said this one before, but a few years ago (2010 apparently ; wow where did the time go? Though appropriately close to the release of the first Thor film) Peter David did an arc of X-Factor where they teamed up with Thor, and he was characterized as a drunken, simply minded buffoon. And it bugged the hell out of me. In retrospect it feels weird that I'd be bothered by it. I mean, that doesn't mean it's good characterization, it's more like I lost a war of attrition and got used to it. Jason Aaron's very goofy Avengers run in the comics, that's going on right now (he's also the writer who did the Jane Foster Thor run, come to think of it) has made Thor more like his movie counterpart as well. So little by little, we may eventually get to a point where younger generations never knew Thor wasn't like this.

I haven't read the Jane Thor run (though I did read the Avengers run that had her in it, and I enjoyed that) but some of the scenes I saw online I thought were pretty ham-handed. The actual run could be good though. Maybe I'll have to read it sometime, I've got some $1 reprints from that era I still haven't read yet, so I'll definitely read it at some point. In any case, like others, it'll be on the movie's shoulders to sell me on it.

QuoteWhen it's at the fourth I figure the company is just milking it and it becomes a take it or leave it proposition. Likewise the Jane Thor idea. I liked the comic. More I liked the Unworthy Thor aspect. I like seeing Thor challenged, I think it fleshes out the character. However I feel they're using the Jane idea in film because it equals merchandise as opposed to using it because a writer had an idea for a story so it's probably going to end up coming off inauthentic.

I have a adult nephew who said he thinks Marvel's movies are starting to be a cashgrab. Maybe I'm a fanboy, but I can't see them as that. Not yet, not unless the quality starts to decline noticeably. As for the Thor thing, I was just thinking the other day due to rewatching Endgame. Hemsworth's the only one from the original three who's still doing it. And Marvel's trying to bring in other characters that can fill the void (remember, there hasn't been an actual "Iron Man" film since 2013) so I can't blame them for trying to set things up so they can keep doing things without Hemsworth. I assumed he was going to be joining the Guardians. On the other hand, people are expecting Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova to replace ScarJo as Natasha once she's brought in for the Black Widow movie. As for merchandise, I was under the impression that the action figures of female characters don't sell as well but I could be wrong, and even then there's still Funko Pops and T-Shirts and such.

Other enticing nuggets....

-Vin Diesel (Groot) says he's been talking with "The Director" (that would be Thor 3 and 4 director Taika Waititti) about the Guardians appearing Thor 4.

-Mark Ruffalo will appear as Hulk in the She-Hulk Disney +.

To quote the man himself: "I see this as an absolute win."

-Wolfsbane and Dani Moonstar will have a same-sex relationship in the New Mutants movie.

I've heard people argue about this online, which I was....a little surprised by? See, I don't know about a lot of other people, but I've actually read the original Claremont X-Men comics, and to say it was implied Rahne and Dani had feelings for each other is to stretch the meaning of the word "imply" to the absolute limit.

Here's an exchange from the original comics:
Dani: '-you're not alone. Moira loves you, and I-' Rahne: 'I know. But that doesn't make me ache any the less.'

There's a fansite I remember fondly (still up, happy to see) that poured over all the scenes suggesting their feelings for each other....dozens of them....
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

They are a cashgrab though. I mean they can still have quality going on regardless but that's the game here. Black Panther equaled big accolades, Avengers big numbers. Black Widow seems like a smart move from a story standpoint but it's clear it didn't happen until after Endgame pulled in massive revenue. Just saying. Meanwhile you don't see any Inhuman sequel in the works because well, didn't make any money. I may have steered ya in the wrong direction a bit there but I don't see the Jane Thor thing as anything but a commercial move. And female action figures? Disney owns Barbie dude, problem solved. It's a hard pill to swallow but movie companies don't actually care about the opinions of comic readers all that much. We only make up a very small percent of the world wide movie going audience. I try and look at that angle when I'm watching the films. Also helps me to not diminish the experience for myself when it doesn't align to the source material. In that same vein I make note that investors care about a return investment and profit so it's always a factor. Has to be. You can't have art reach the masses without money so that trade-off will always exist whether people like it or not.

I digress though, on a personal note, not an externalized one Silver, I'm not heavily invested in fourth part films nor a live action Jane Thor regardless. Just doesn't stimulate me. Now if you told me a big budget big screen trilogy of Neil Gaimans Sandman was coming out or something I might be a little moreso because it's something I haven't had yet. In sort of the same way I'm more excited about the New Mutants horror styled movie. It's set to be a different type of thing than I've seen so far. I like variety, what can I say? Sometimes both halves of a persons opinion matter regardless of how you slice it.

Speaking of I see New Mutants is delayed for the virus. People seem upset but a.) what's a little longer on this one and b.) if they release it when people are apprehensive about cramming into a theater it's going to get lower numbers and an unfair shake. And yeah the attitude doesn't make sense though it's always been a thing in the fandom that I remember. Also noting many of the outspoken fans online are not eighteen, rather very young children posing as adults to get in the door hence their opinions on things tend to stem from the grade school life perspective. Imo never give one about a fictional characters sexual preference. Not much for real life people either. Life is short and pretty painful, if you can find happiness with someone more power to you regardless of who they and you are. But still yeah, fandom lights up about anything. They could change the color of Thors cape and fandom lights up. Someone explained it to me once that it's just how some people show appreciation and get involved with a thing, even the ones that are constantly outraged. Makes enough sense, probably not healthy for the individual but all the same.

Silver Shocker

So two things:

1) As I'm sure everyone one knows, pretty much everything is getting cancelled, postponed or put on hiatus due to Coronavirus. So everyone take care of yourselves, check on your loved ones every once and awhile and get out your backlog of shows and movies on disc, video games, and books and comics, because it's gonna be a while.  Personally? I just finished my Hobbit Extended Blu-Rays.

New Mutants's release and some of the location filming for Falcon and Winter Soldier (among many other things) are postponed, which is very frustrating, because I was really looking forward to both of those.

2. Some internet commentators have brought up a very likely guess as to who Bale is playing: apparently in Aaron's Thor run one of the villains is a guy in charge of Roxxon Oil who's a shifty guy in a business suit who sometimes turns into a giant Minotaur (I can't remember his name and I don't feel like looking it up right now) Which I can believe, since Bale's got a bunch of movies where he's walking around in a nice business suit being smarmy. So yeah, I can totally buy that. Plus giant minotaur? That sounds like a big CGI boss fight at the end of the film to me.
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

Oh yeah everything. Even the Democratic Convention and Biden/Bernie debate in Phoenix this weekend. To me that was the sign to go into lockdown aside we're under a storm disaster in the desert right now. I figure those two had a lot riding on that event and if they bailed this is probably more serious than the media wants to frighten the public about. Not exactly comic movie stuff sorry but I figured noteworthy. Travel safe friends.

The Minotaur yeah. He's Hulks villain now. Really in that Thor run Dario Agger (?) wasn't the villain as much as oil fracking was. Kind of boringly topical for fantasy if you ask me. The Hulk comic turned him into something a bit more fascinating.

And hey you'll still see New Mutants. The wait will probably make better really instead of trying to go out with things as much a mess as they are right now. Plus there's a better chance the theater will toilet paper in the bathrooms. Least it's my feelings about it. I don't want to go and try and enjoy a film with the world around me in such a frustrated state. Again at the moment I couldn't anyways, our roads are literally gone and replaced with lakes right now but you know what I mean.

Shogunn2517

I saw The New Mutants trailer when I went to go see Invisible Man, and while I did see it before and thought it was cute making a horror genre from a superhero film, but if in the time since they recut it or did some reshoots, however it happened, this one looked pretty terrifying.

Yet another postponement is unfortunate, but just think about what happen with Frozen II, wouldn't releasing The New Mutants on Disney Plus be an option?

SickAlice

I'm kind of thinking after all the nonsense the cast and crew went through just to get that sucker released they probably wouldn't settle for anything less than a theatrical release no matter when it has to happen and to be honest I wouldn't blame them. I'm tingly for it myself. I won't say I'm looking at it thinking it will be a masterpiece but I love 1.) New Mutants 2.) Magik 3.) horror and 4.) Anya Taylor-Joy so...yeah. I'm in, I'm all the way in. In fact Taylor-Joy could star in a movie about a milk carton and I would probably be eager to see it. Pretty much been sold on her act since Split, matching moves and occasionally upstaging McAvoy is fairly impressive.

Silver Shocker

Indeed. I've been kinda rooting for New Mutants every step of the way, so I'm hoping it gets a proper release, turns out to be decent, gets a positive reception, and if released in theaters, makes some money.

I too was a fan of Anya-Taylor Joy in Split. Plus I was a huge Arya Stark fan while Game of Thrones was going on, and I've been looking forward to her (Maisie Williams) playing Rahne every step of the way.

The thing to remember, to keep in mind, is that it is still a Fox X-Men movie after all, and one without Ryan Reynolds, Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, MacAvoy or Fassbender. It's probably going to be pretty good but not up there with the better MCU movies. It's a product of its time: Fox trying a few different experiments with the X-Men property to see what would work and find an audience.
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

Oh I'm expecting subpar. Then again I grew up on B...jeez some of them should be D labelled, and have a taste for all that so it'll probably fall in my personal nostalgic favor regardless. That and again the sheer dedication they've shown to it. If they believe that hard in it it makes me want to as well. And if it stinks well, they can't all be winners so no loss. Personally I think we're in a privileged time, maybe partly driven by coming up in a time that films could be shoddy yet make the grade and especially when it came to ones that were fandom inspired and it leads me to feel like I'm getting the good stuff whether it wins awards or not. Just my personally stance on that mind you.

SickAlice

Rest in peace Chadwick Boseman and thank you for the inspiration.

Silver Shocker

Shocking and sad news. In any case, I always thought he was an awesome Black Panther. I remember when I saw Civil War in theatres, of all the things I enjoyed in that flick, when we were leaving at the end the first thing I asked my brother was "What did you think of Black Panther?" and his answer was "I thought he was awesome."
~Rocky Balboa

stumpy

Agreed. I was shocked to hear about his cancer and then death. Appreciate every day, I guess. Criminy!

I kind of wonder if he had told Marvel Studios that this was potentially an issue for him, with regard to future BP movies?
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

SickAlice

I was thinking the same. I thought about the plan they had for Disney+ shows and how BP wasn't really included. I think some of the central people probably knew. Bob Iger's farewell sounded fond but not surprised.

GhostMachine

The announcement of his death broke the record for most liked Tweet, beating one by Barack Obama by over 1.3 million more likes.

I suspect that may hold for a while.

Silver Shocker

Waitress: How's the [WANDAVISION]?
James Franco as Harry Osborn: SO GOOD.  :D

"You took EVERYTHING from me"
"I don't even know who you are."
"You will."

So yeah, Wandavision's really good. You're shocked, I'm sure.  ^_^

Welcome back, MCU. It's been a while. I see age hasn't slowed you down one bit. The opening moments of this are like a warm, nostalgic security blanket, here to "blip" all other concerns away.

It's EXACTLY what you think it is. It's House of M mixed with Tom King's Vision. It's a phony black-and-white sitcom, only more phony than usual and whose phoniness isn't just PART of the gag, it IS the gag. It's brilliant.  :wub:

Admittedly, I am, as I like to say, a morbid fellow, and this thing basically being Legion mixed with Doom Patrol, and thus being a almost unbearably cheesy sitcom with something sinister creeping in from the margins like an MCU version of Adult Swim's "Too Many Cooks" is pretty darn appealing. On the one hand, if you're invested in the MCU narrative....you already know DARN WELL you're going to watch every episode of this. But it's relentless amount of ham and "dad jokes" and slow burn to an already obvious reveal may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I'm supposed to be watching this with someone else, but like someone with a delicious cake in front of them, I could not resist a nibble and checked out the first episode. Haven't decided if I'm going to watch my way through episode 2 yet, (yes, there are two episodes this week) but even so, yeah. It's really good, watch it, suckers. It's MARVEL BAY-BEE!

Is it as good as Netflix Daredevil? Probably not (unless there's something REALLY juicy in episode 2), but it's close enough.

Also, there is no post-credit scene at the end of the first episode. Streaming service shows have a tradition of including one at the end of the season finale, so feel free to hit that "next episode" button once you see text-on-black.  :)
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Isnt like every episode a different sitcom? Like one is Honeymooners,one is Family Ties and so on?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Based on the advertisements I've seen, yes. Some of the segments are in color, and include a segment that is (of course) set in the 80's.

Finished episode 2. This show has one massive problem.....there isn't more of it out yet.  :(

Spoiler
OMG It's the beekeepers of A.I.M.! Beekeepers have never looked more sinister! Where's Ant-Man and Stinger when you need them?

Wanda [with a baby bump] Vision, is this really happening?
Vision: Yes, it's really happening.

Welcome to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Billy and Tommy, future Young Avengers. Hope you survive the experience.  ^_^

Jimmy Woo: Wanda.....what's happened to you?

Doctor Doom be straight creepin', that's what's happening Jimbo. You should get your boy Ant-Man on the case. He can bring his daughter to work. Just as long as neither of them die.  :P

~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

I just posted about this show in the discord!

I'm usually the outlier in things like this, so I'm glad other people are enjoying it!
But yeah... This first episode is Bewitched via Pleasantville via this show. I loved Bewitched growing up, so it's a treat to see. Of course, that was just this episode, so now it's time to move on.
I can see why people wouldn't be into this, but it's experimenting, it's meta, it's right up my alley personally. It's not the best thing yet, but it's interesting enough to keep me watching.

(But I might wait until it's all out so I can give it a binge, ha ha.)

Oh yeah, and to mention something from the discord:
Spoiler
I totally saw the Agnes character and thought it was meant to be Agatha Harkness. Specifically from the Scarlet Witch run where she acts as a mentor witch. (from when Wanda was more magic and not a mutant, I think?)
That was the vibe she gave anyhow. We'll see!

BentonGrey

As I've said a lot, I'd rather just watch a straight superhero story with those characters, but I'm cautiously interested.  Lady Grey likes the Scarlet Witch, and the weird format might actually work for her.  We'll see.
God Bless

Silver Shocker

I get it, but this story (whether here in live action, or in the comics) doesn't particularly lend itself to a straight-forward superhero action story. You could argue it'd be fine for the first or second act of a superhero story before the big action-leaden finale, but this is only the premiere and if you've seen any of the many advertisements, you know that there will indeed be quite a bit of content taking place outside the world of "Wandavision" (I'm expecting whole episodes to be either entirely or mostly set there).
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

Ha ha ha, I know we have wildly different tastes, Bent.
I'm sooo bored by straight superhero stuff at this point.

I found out that I had watched episode 2 first so had to watch episode 1, oops. Now I realize that... this is pretty much a straightforward story, but told in a unique way.
It may be that this ends as straightfoward action super stuff, as you imply SS. It does seem to be where it is headed. Personally I hope they manage to keep the kookiness up to the finale, but that's high hopes.
If they could somehow do a Don't Hug Me I'm Scared final reveal when the world falls apart, that would be amazing.

I'm not holding my breath though, and I'll just enjoy what I can get before it's business as usual. Ha ha ha.
I just hope that, in the end, it does't feel like a long commercial for the Dr. Strange movie. I've found a lot of Marvel movies tend to have that feel by the end. Does anybody else pick up that?