News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Dissecting A Character.Nif

Started by Cyber Burn, November 01, 2014, 01:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

I had planned on moving away from the standard  :ff: Mesh to start a discussion about the  :ffvstr: Nif Format, but then more questions came up. If anyone is interested, maybe I'll start a new thread for the FFvt3R Mesh discussion and keep this thread FF based.

Anyway, while working on some of my FX, I noticed that I've been having issues with color. As such, I'm going to bring up the "NiMaterialProperty". So again, I'll use the original, unconverted "Male_Basic_Effects" Mesh as a guide.

This first pic is of the "Block List".

With the "NiMaterialProperty" highlighted, the second pic switches over to the "Block Details".

And finally, the third pic shows the "Male_Basic.tga" that is in the "Standard" Skin Folder.

Now I've experimented a little bit with the four Color Types (Ambient, Diffuse, Specular, and Emissive), so I want to assume that the "Values" that are currently displayed here are what allow the Skin to display as a "White" color? Is that correct?

SickAlice

The "color" settings, a word which is deemed incorrect, control how light effects an object. Obviously the closer to white the brighter the object appears and to black the less it's illuminated (sort of like vanta black). Not technically speaking but going colored is akin to colored light, whereas the color of an objects texture isn't changed rather that of it's illumination (aura's tend to be a good reference). Ambient refers to light coming from everywhere and reflected in all directions and the visibility. Diffuse has one source and is reflected in all directions, compared to a spotlight. Specular has one source and is reflected in one directions, like a mirror (relates to refl/gloss property). Emissive controls self illumination, and controls the glow of an object (relates to glow property of course). Nutshell here just to get the idea across.

Amazo Version 2.2

great thread guys. some neat information here. thanx for taking the time to do this.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Cyber Burn

Eventually, I'm going to have to go back through this thread and re-read everything, because my brain is fried and I don't remember what's what. But I do have a quick question.

If a Mesh normally uses a Spear or Staff for a Melee Attack, then I'm assuming that there is something that tells the Game when the Weapon has "Hit" the target. Under that assumption, if I Skoped out the Spear, and replaced it with a Sword, since the Mesh's reach is now shorter, does that affect how the Game knows that the target has been "Hit"? Is there something I should be changing in NifSkope to accommodate for this?

Cyber Burn

With all the discussions about Meshes being started, I figured that I would give this a little bump in case anyone is interested.

I'll look for the pics and try to replace them as I can.

daglob

Does the weapon have anything to do with it? Like, if the weapon node isn't within one of he boxes (selctor box or tank) you don't get hit? I've been moving some of the weapon nodes that I've found were misplaced (underground in one case), but I really don't know if I've done anything.

Cyber Burn

If I remember correctly, the Weapon Node is where the FX originates from.