News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Sentinels of the Multiverse Game 5

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, December 26, 2014, 11:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Alright, Christmas is over, it's time to start organizing the next forum game.  This will likely be the last one with this lineup--because 3 more heroes arrive in a couple of week. As soon as the expansion gets released from the dock.  Grrrr.  Among them will be Sentinel's answer to Deadpool, Guise.  I'll just drop the link to him introducing himself here, mostly because it amuses me.

https://greaterthangames.com/content/over-1500-a-new-hero

Anyhow, onto the hero selection!  I figure this time around, we'll pick the villain from among the nemeses of whichever heroes get picked.

Current Lineup
Reepicheep as Tempest
Uncle Yuan as The Sentinels
Outcast as Parse
Death Jester as Expatriette
Glitch Girl as Unity

Team: Freedom Five
Nemesis: Unknown, Vengeance Five (Fright Train), Iron Legacy
A soldier with a suit of military designed power armor, Bunker is a bit like Iron Man, only he can't fly and has a lot more guns.  Switches between different modes to gain different abilities.

Team: Prime Wardens
Nemesis: Apostate
Mistreated for the pair of wings she is gifted with, Fanatic has chosen to side with the angels--literally--in the fight against evil.  Holy warrior type powered by holy relics.

Team: Prime Wardens
Nemesis: Ambuscade
A gentile soul gifted with super strength, ancient warrior traditions, and immortality.  He's like the Hulk if the Hulk looked more like a normal person, was highly educated, and was an elementary school teacher for his day job.  Okay, he's nothing like Hulk, but he does like to smash.

Team: Freedom Five (Leader)
Nemesis: Baron Blade, Vengeance Five (Baron Blade)
From a long line of Legacies starting with the Revolutionary War, each generation of Persons have developed a new power and passing it and all previous ones on to the next.  The current Legacy possesses flight, super strength, durability, and danger sense.  His daughter has laser vision.  Yeah, he's like a hybrid of Captain America and Superman, but plays most like the former, inspiring his team mates to greatness.

Team: None
Nemsis: The Ennead
Finding the staff of the Egyptian sun god Ra, a humble archeaologist uses it to transform into Ra, god of the sun!  Yeah, he's Thor with fire powers, basically.

Nemesis: Matriarch, Vengeance Five(Friction), Iron Legacy
A scientist with the power of super speed.  Not much else to say.  Plays a lot of cards and builds up momentum for spectacular stuff later on.

Nemesis: Spite, Vengeance Five (Ermine), Iron Legacy
Billionaire heiress by day, stalker of criminals by night.  Female Batman, essentially.

Nemesis: Unknown, Vengeance Five (Proletariate), Iron Legacy
A lab accident has turned him into a creature of frost and cold.  As his cryo suit and chamber is quite expensive, he is forced by the government to join the Freedom Five in exchange for being allowed to live.  He isn't terribly thrilled about it.  The most complex hero in the game, he relies on hurting himself to damage his enemies.

Nemesis: The Dreamer
A powerful psychic from the future who has come to the past to save her younger self from the life of a lab rat that she suffered through.  Manipulates decks and offers buffs and debuffs rather that direct attacks.

Nemesis: Unknown
As old man who spends most of his time relaxing in his houseboat. Also he possesses the philosopher's stone and sometimes goes off to fight supervillains. The games most tanky tank who can depending on which form he is using can ignore most damage, or heal it back and hurt the enemy in response.

Team: Dark Watch
Nemesis: The Chairman
An elderly blind mechanic who happens to be a master martial artist. Fixer gets only one power, but can modify it with various tool and style cards.

Team: Prime Wardens (Leader)
Nemesis: Akash'Bhuta
With the power of ancient magical instruments, he puts the power of music to use.  A total support hero who make his team mates a little more awesome.

Team: Dark Watch (Leader)
Nemesis: Gloomweaver
Cursed into a form of mist and magic, this private eye uses powerful spells and ancient artifacts to take down the forces of darkness.  Another self damaging hero who can actually tank pretty well too.

Nemesis: Plague Rat
The Sherrif of the 1800's town of Silver Gultch who fell into a time portal, Jim Brooks soon found himself in a faroff future where the world has been destroyed and taken over by monster. His arm bitten off buy a rat-man, he survived by wandering into the friendly sapient bunker Con, but upgraded him with cyberneticss, gave him time travel technology and sent him into the past to the destroy those who would create this desolute future. Chrono is the master of the plink damage.  He deals one point of damage, and he deals it a LOT in addition to play bounties that let him do other things.

Nemesis: Omnitron
Far into the future, Omnitron-IX, having been destroyed and rebuilt countless times over the centuries decides to solve the problem of always beeing defeated by weak heroes by giving his next incarnation the one thing the heroes have that he doesn't--compassion.  The new Omnitron-X prompty repented of everything he'd done in his past models and went back in time to destroy himself.  Upgrades himself to grant new, usually automatic, abilities.

Team: Dark Watch
Nemesis: Kismet
Setback has always had wild swings of luck.  Really bad things happen to him out of nowhere, but then really lucky things always happen to.  Like when he was randomly kidnapped by Baron Blade to be the subject of deadly experiment, then was the only one to survive them and gain superpowers.  Lucky!  He has his own resource, Unlucky points.  By player cards that represent unlucky things happening, he can trade the points for really lucky things later.

Cursed by the evil earth spirit Akashbhuta to live as an animal, he was freed from his curse by the Argent Adept and now uses his ability to transform into animals to protect nature from those who would destroy it.  A shapeshifter whose abilities and card effects vary according to what shape he's in.  Can fulfil multiple team roles.

A former member of FILTER who went rogue, she is a trained soldier and spy with energy focusing powers.  A damage dealer with some interesting combos.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Uncle Yuan

I'm interested in playing.  Is there an order to character selection, or first-come-first-served?
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Reepicheep

I'd like to take Tempest this time, Cat.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on December 27, 2014, 02:30:43 PM
I'm interested in playing.  Is there an order to character selection, or first-come-first-served?

I usually just do first come first served.  I remove the character from the first post once claimed.

Uncle Yuan

Outcast

catwhowalksbyhimself

I realize folks are still off doing holiday things, but I do have 2 slots open if anyone wants them.

Deaths Jester

While I don't know if I'll be any use or online a lot, I guess I'll toss my hat in as my regular character.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Glitch Girl

Hey guys, back from vacation!  Got room for one more?  I think I want to try Unity.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

catwhowalksbyhimself

Indeed we do.  That makes a nice round 5 and fills out the game.

Since I want to choose a nemesis as a villain this time around, that gives us the following villain choices.  Let me know what interests you, or I can pick one randomly.

Nemsis: Tempest
Difficulty: Moderate
Having conquered countless planets, enslaving their inhabitant and adding their power to his gene-bound armies, Grand Warlord Voss has come to Earth!

Leader of a cult of superpowered people who believe themselves to be better than ordinary folks and deserving of their worship.  He attempt to create a superpowered dynasty lead to her greatest shame, however, the existence of her non-powered daughter, Expatriette.
Nemesis:Expatriette
Difficulty: Hard

Traveling through time with her flying ship and a crew gathered from throughout history, the pirate known as La Capitan strike anywhere and anywhen.  She oddly keeps running into the Sentinels who have a bad habit of foiling her schemes, something she does not forget easily.
Nemeses: Sentinels
Difficulty: Very Hard

The Sentinels efficient hard working secretary holds a dark secret, she holds the mind of an alternate future self whose only desire is for revenge for the ones she blames for things that have not happened--the Freedom Five.  With their trust as her weapon, will the heroes realize their betrayal in time?
Nemesis: Parse
Difficulty: Moderate?

In an alternate future, Baron Blade killed Legacy's daughter, Young Legacy, ending the line of Legacy's forever.  Mad with grief, he killed Blade and conquered the world, determined to bring final peace.  Finding the main timeline, he is determined to bring that same peace to this world, whether anyone wants it or not.
Nemeses: The Freedom Six(future versions of Tachyon, Wraith, Bunker, Absolute Zero, Tempest, and Unity)
Difficulty: Very Hard

Uncle Yuan

Oof.  Iron Legacy.  Games against him are generally very, very short - win, or (much more likely) loose.  (My first time I lost by the completion of the second villain turn.)

So, I'd vote again him.  I also find Grand Warlord Voss to be a bit blah so I'm inclined against him, but not so strongly that if everyone really wanted him I'd fuss about it.  The others are all pretty tough challenges (I'd put La Cap a smidge easier than "very hard", Miss Information a skoosh harder than "moderate").

catwhowalksbyhimself

I have had less experience playing them I admit.  In the case of Miss Information this is on purpose.  I heavily dislike her.

My suggestion would be either La Capitan or Dawn.  I think the team is ready for a real challenge.

Deaths Jester

Already beaten Voss, I'd say La Captain.

Uncle Yuan

catwhowalksbyhimself

Technically, I suppose we could include the Vengenace Five as Nemeses.  They are a team of five villain decks which contains "mini-nemeses" to every potential hero.  They play quite a bit differently to the regular villains though, with a villain deck playing before every single hero deck. 

So I'll put that out there as a sixth option.

Outcast

They all seem very formidable foes. I've read Iron Legacy is the worst/hardest of the all the villains. I'm all for a random pick of who will be the next villain. Cause as they say, you don't always get what you want. I'd think Parse will have her hands full if she were to go against the Vengeful Five.

Just curious. If Voss were to be the villain again, will it be the same story/campaign again? Or does each villain have a variety of stories/campaign they can play? Is it limited? Or can you make your own objectives/goals/stories for them?

Reepicheep

On the basis that I never did find Carmen Sandiago as a kid, i'm all for la capitan.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Outcast on January 03, 2015, 04:01:16 AM
Just curious. If Voss were to be the villain again, will it be the same story/campaign again? Or does each villain have a variety of stories/campaign they can play? Is it limited? Or can you make your own objectives/goals/stories for them?

Same deck, so same basic goal, but which cards come up and what heroes are around can make for a totally different experience, plus the environment can make a fair amount of difference too. Villains also have an advanced and a challenge mode to add more rules to make them even harder.

Iron Legacy is a fast vicious fight, but he isn't necessarily as hard as some of the others.  He throw up a ton of damage very quickly, but has fairly low hp, so the battle end very quickly either way.

So right now La Cap appears to be winning.

Uncle Yuan

Environment can be a huge factor.  I played vs Omnitron (a pretty easy villain) in Rook City (regarded as the hardest environment) with the same team and got beaten handily twice.  For revenge I again took the same team vs Omitron at a different environment and beat him easily.  Similarly, I am running a PBF game on BGG with Akash'Bhtua at Wagner Mars base and it's not shaping up to be a terribly tough game, even on advanced.  Akash'Bhuta's schtick is that she interacts with environment targets and Mars has significantly fewer targets than average so the synergy is poor.  I think Akash'Bhuta in the Final Wasteland would be a very different experience.

Outcast

Thanks for the feedback. I guess mixing up the team of heroes and environments is the way to go to get more replay value on the game then. Besides the advance and challenge modes being offered for each villain (deck), of course.

I'm ok with La Capitan as the next villain. Let's see what this villain can do. :)

catwhowalksbyhimself

That's a majority for La Capitan.

Now we need an environment.  I have picked 4 which would be at least somewhat thematic.

FILTER's interdimensional prison, where the worst of the worst are held.  The prison is ungoing a riot and the heroes are unfortunately not any more popular with the guards than they are with the prisoners.  La Cap could be trying to recruit or free crewmembers here.

A time Portal has connected the present with Chronoranger's home down, right in the middle of a gunfight with a family of bandits. La Cap could have traveled back here to cause havock or recruit the bandits into her crew.

A tomb guarded by the Egyptian god Anubis.  Full of traps, mummies, tries and treasures.  Perfect for a time traveling thief to get some spoils.

The headquarters of the Freedom Five and target of villains looking to get ahead.  It was, in fact, designed with that in mind.

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Uncle Yuan

I'm not a fan of the Tomb of Anubis (just a personal taste thing), but I think any of the others would be fun.  In decreasing difficulty I see them as Silver Gulch > The Block > Freedom Tower.

(As alternates I think Final Wasteland and Time Cataclysm also lend themselves well to the time and dimension hopping theme.)

Reepicheep

I agree, I like the look of Freedom Tower. Or the Tomb. The 'inter dimensional' environments switch me off a little bit, thematically.

catwhowalksbyhimself

True.  I was trying to move it down to four, and we did Time Cataclysm in game 3, but I'll throw them out there for anyone who is interested.

In the far future that Chrono-Ranger ended up in, strange cryptids have multiplied and destroyed all human life.  Only Chronoranger, lost through a time portal, and the eternal warrior Haka are still alive.

Time has gone completely bannannas here.  Creatures and places form throughout time and space are all mixed together, and that can't be good for the space-time continuum.

Outcast

Being a time traveling thief and all that, i think the Tomb of Anubis is where we would likely see La Capitan. I don't think she would be tempted by anything in the Freedom Tower. Besides the fact that she's guaranteed to meet resistance if she ever did decide to.

But i guess, i'm fine with the Freedom Tower. Considering La Capitan's difficulty rating which is "very hard", i wouldn't want to make things any harder for us. :P

catwhowalksbyhimself

It looks like it will probably be Freedom Tower, but I'll leave it open for a couple more hours in case someone wants to change their mind or has anything further to say.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Before I forget, alternate versions of heroes must be picked!

Expatriette
Regular Expatriette--29 hp, Power: Play a card.
Dark Watch Expatriette--30 hp, Power: Increase Damage dealt by Expatriette by 1 until the end of your next turn.

Unity
Regular Unity--26 hp, Power: Destroy 1 Equipment card. If you do, put a Mechanical Golem from hand into play.
Golem Unity--25 hp, Power: Unity herself 4 Energy Damage. Put a Mechanical Golem from hand into play.

Tempest
Regular Tempest--26 hp, Power: Tempest deals all non-Hero Targets 1 Projectile Damage.
Freedom Tempest--25 hp, Power: Destroy 1 of your cards. If you do, draw 3 cards.
Prime Warden Tempest--27 hp, Power: Play up to 3 cards. Each time you play a card this way, the Environment deals Tempest 3 Lightning Damage.

I would recommend Regular Unity for your first time out, GG.

Deaths Jester

Do you even need to ask which Expat I'll use, Cat?  We all know it's going to be Regular Expat.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 04, 2015, 07:38:56 PM
Do you even need to ask which Expat I'll use, Cat?  We all know it's going to be Regular Expat.

I thought it likely, but I consider it rude to decide things for you.  Done and done.